Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
As a baby haver that was a tough episode :( hoping that is not the last we see of the baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
I feel like these devolved humans might have more intelligence than the characters believe. I think if the show runners just wanted a traumatic experience they could have easily had the mermaid assault/eat the baby, but its actions were almost gentle and protective. Very bizarre.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Just tripping balls and making friends with a suddenly shimmery tree -- buddy, I've been there. Frankly, I've never seen anything so relatable on TV.

My biggest exposure to Abrahamic mythology is Neon Genesis Evangelion but between this show and that one, I gotta say I'm digging it.

The ending better just be a bunch of people clapping. Pacific Rim 2 is probably the best live action version of End of Evangelion that we are going to get and this is the best live action version of the series. Right down to weird double-crosses between ill-defined groups and children.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

remigious posted:

As a baby haver that was a tough episode :( hoping that is not the last we see of the baby!

Nah, definitely not the end.

It's all the signal; it instigated the conception, and now it's just moving into stage 3 of its plan.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Niamh Algar leaving the show is a crime against humanity. There are only two mullets left in the whole show

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

GABA ghoul posted:

Niamh Algar leaving the show is a crime against humanity. There are only two mullets left in the whole show

For real I felt like she started carrying a lot of the show. Marcus’ fruit basket was her brains right?

lol at mothers gate monitor going off but she doesn’t bother to lock the loving thing

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i can't process that this is a streaming television show that hbo produced. i am overwhelmed with gratitude that not one single button down rear end in a top hat in the process nixed the acid mermaid kidnap scene.

Who do you think ordered that thing to have its titties hanging out?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This show is loving great

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i can't process that this is a streaming television show that hbo produced. i am overwhelmed with gratitude that not one single button down rear end in a top hat in the process nixed the acid mermaid kidnap scene.

This, but milky androids, and real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did Campion name the snake? I liked that he’s the one who named grandma.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Well, she wanted to get rid of the baby. No take backsies! You asked for it, you got it.

She kinda got the best of all worlds, since the baby is alive, but she doesn't have to care for it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I wanted to cry when Mother scolded the snake. It's just a little baby, don't yell at it like that.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The ending better just be a bunch of people clapping. Pacific Rim 2 is probably the best live action version of End of Evangelion that we are going to get and this is the best live action version of the series. Right down to weird double-crosses between ill-defined groups and children.

Not seeing too many parallels, but with a lot of good will you could maybe see Mother as red-haired Asuka telling Father/Shinji "Anta baka" all day long and him being unable to pilot Eva (Grandmother).

Also not trying to hurt any feelings, but Thrice Upon A Time is 10x the film End of Evangelion is.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Not seeing too many parallels, but with a lot of good will you could maybe see Mother as red-haired Asuka telling Father/Shinji "Anta baka" all day long and him being unable to pilot Eva (Grandmother).

Also not trying to hurt any feelings, but Thrice Upon A Time is 10x the film End of Evangelion is.

not a 1:1 just a bunch of crazy Abrahamic mythology put into a blender with crazy parent issues and souls hiding in robots and living robots.
in the same way that pacific rim 2 is a great showcase for what Avs so cleverly described as "penis crows eating things" .

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 4, 2022

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
This episode was pretty much a one hour showcase of parenting mistakes.

E: poo poo, well I guess it’s in the title after all. “How not to raise a child: all the techniques” Even the religious symbology seems inextricably tied to screwing up your child’s religious or nonreligious upbringing.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 4, 2022

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

GABA ghoul posted:

Also, that character was the closest thing to a sane adult in the entire series.
I like that things are nuts enough that they may come back.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe she will be turned into a milky robot

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I should also add I feel really bad for Campion re. the awkwardly being groomed to take over thing and everyone just looking at him with 'get the gently caress outta here' understandably written all over their faces.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

I should also add I feel really bad for Campion re. the awkwardly being groomed to take over thing and everyone just looking at him with 'get the gently caress outta here' understandably written all over their faces.

Yeah campion is actually pretty solid this season. He really didn’t have anything to do the first season except be the kid that didn’t die.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

remigious posted:

The preview of the next episode showed the acid mermaid nursing the baby in a cave.

Nuts and Gum posted:

For real I felt like she started carrying a lot of the show. Marcus’ fruit basket was her brains right?

Maybe, or maybe it just looks like brains because it's fruit from the tree of knowledge.

quote:

lol at mothers gate monitor going off but she doesn’t bother to lock the loving thing

Don't need a lock when you have an alarm I guess.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

Harton posted:

Yeah campion is actually pretty solid this season. He really didn’t have anything to do the first season except be the kid that didn’t die.
Agreed. In fact all the kids annoy me a lot less than last season. The writers have done a nice job of giving them less screen time while not losing much characterization and replacing it with more snake shots and Travis Fimmel staring at things.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
So Paul was the snake that made Man eat the forbidden fruit from tree of knowledge.

I guess tree will be resistant to acid. They’ll build a wooden steampunk sub and travel to Atlantis-22b on baby quest.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The mermaids acid hands burned the poo poo out of Tempest but the baby seems fine being put inside it’s acid stomach mouth?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
SFX guy: "so in this episode we're going to have a baby get dissolved by acid, and we thought-"
standards and practices: "no"

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Mother mentioned that the baby’s heartbeat had changed…did the signal somehow mess with his physiology and make him acid resistant?
I will be absolutely crushed if we don’t get a third season!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I think it’s implied Father new girlfriend did something to the baby when it “scanned” Tempest.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I figured mermaid was using Tempest as a hand towel to remove the acid water before touching the baby.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think the acid ocean in the show is an allegory of the ocean of acid they took to make this. Thank you for coming to my analysis of the show

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

City of Glompton posted:

I figured mermaid was using Tempest as a hand towel to remove the acid water before touching the baby.

lmao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In the previously on, was it me or could you hear the voice sue was hearing more clearly and did it sound like Marcus? Time loop theory still on the table.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

City of Glompton posted:

jesus christ this is somehow crazier than the actual episode lmao

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So the tank is acid proof?

Lucius I am extremely disappointed you didn't execute Marcus once you got back to the base and Father was unable to fulfill his promise.

lol bad cgi robot standoff. I want to know all about "grandmother / Botanica(?)". Tell me all about your ancient veiled robot ways.

:staredog: for the second half of the episode.

Sentinel Red posted:

"And then Sue was a tree."

Hahahahahahahahaha never change show, never change.

:laugh:

Scrotum Modem posted:

something tells me hoversnake wants to eat from that new tree

Eat the forbidden meat fruit

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

I dont know, I always found her performance a little wooden.

Reminded me of this. Spoilers for season 2 of Twin Peaks.
https://youtu.be/dOLb1nThRds

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I dont know, I always found her performance a little wooden.

Boo!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I love this show so much.

How many episodes for this season?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what in the Soly gently caress is going on :gonk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I guess Tempest's merbaby can now also be considered in the running as the "orphan in an empty land" alongside Paul and 🎶 Campion🎶

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol bad cgi robot standoff. I want to know all about "grandmother / Botanica(?)". Tell me all about your ancient veiled robot ways.

I think it was "botani-tech". And if the show doesn't reveal grandmother's face to be some milky nightmare fuel I'm going to be disappointed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I love this show so much.

How many episodes for this season?

2 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

The preview of the next episode showed the acid mermaid nursing the baby in a cave.

!!!

I thought this episode was the finale!