Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Silly Newbie posted:

It's always been amazing how many concepts Gibson accurately predicted entirely by accident or luck.

Why accident or luck? A lot of nerds will have spent a lot of time trying to make the cool thing in the Gibson book real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Jedit posted:

Why accident or luck? A lot of nerds will have spent a lot of time trying to make the cool thing in the Gibson book real.

https://twitter.com/AlexBlechman/status/1457842724128833538

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I got a genuine :lol: at this, thanks.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

Silly Newbie posted:

It's always been amazing how many concepts Gibson accurately predicted entirely by accident or luck.

He still regularly smites his forehead in interviews for not predicting mobile phones though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

season 2 of GLOW, first ep, when we first see Sam again & he's in his car

it's the best homage to Michael Mann i've ever seen

seriously check out that scene, and compare it to the Phil Collins scene from Miami Vice

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carthag Tuek posted:

season 2 of GLOW, first ep, when we first see Sam again & he's in his car

it's the best homage to Michael Mann i've ever seen

seriously check out that scene, and compare it to the Phil Collins scene from Miami Vice

You mean the Phil Collins scene from Lasagna Cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea same scene but its p much still life marc maron looking annoyed with a cigarette & it only goes for like 5 seconds

but the way its cut is exactly [phil collins scene]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw the camera dude russell is super hot but thats not subtle at all

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Jedit posted:

That's a fair take. I was commenting on how he knew basically nothing about computers, but a lot of things work the way he wrote them, it didn't occur to me that the later creators may have been inspired.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I think Gibson's great insight was to understand how people would interact with technology, not the workings of the technology itself.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A visual reference to the original in Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rory kinnear has surprisingly small ears. theyre like little chestnuts

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He's got a very flat rear end, too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Armacham posted:

There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from.

Someone posted this quote from Forrest Gump in the irritating movie thread. Now I think it's not a standard joke about Forrest being stupid, I think it's a sly callback to earlier, when Forrest and Bubba are meeting Lieutenant Dan, he asks them where they're from, and then "mistakes" their response of Alabama for Arkansas.

I think Lieutenant Dan does that to gently caress with all his soldiers and then wherever he decides you're from, that's your nickname. I think it's a very subtle joke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, finally watched the Cowboy Bebop movie - which, at the very least, was astoundingly animated.

But there was one thing in it that I noticed which made me laugh, or at least chuckle. Interspersed with the scene of the rickety old planes used to disperse the vaccine, we get a dogfight with Spike's Swordfish II and some security forces. We see Jet complain to the trio of old men who keep showing up throughout the series before they take off - the plane THEY are in is a Swordfish, too - a WW2 Swordfish Torpedo bomber (in the English dub, one of them even mentions sinking the Bismarck, a mission which Swordfish bombers were instrumental in completing).

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
In the movie Real Genius there's a character, Jordan, who is hyperkinetic. At about the mid-point there's a crowd scene where someone cracks under pressure, starts screaming and runs out of the room. Even with the scene so focused on that guy they still took the time to have everyone sitting in an armchair, except for Jordan, who is in the only rocking chair.

When you see Kent's room after the disassembled car prank there's still prints from everyone's greasy hands on the walls.

Also they don't do the omniscient scientist thing. Each character has a specialty that they stick to. There's the general student body made of the same reoccurring actors. But then the ones marked for laser physics are the ones that are then also seen in the same classroom with the main characters, and then a smaller group that also is in the same lab. When someone creates a movie science specialty ice for a wild party, even thought there is a main character who is a genius/slacker they don't have him make it, because he's marked for laser physics. Instead they introduce minor character ("Ick" Ikagami) who's a chemist. He's in the campus life scenes, but not in the classroom or lab. Jordan is an engineer. All of her projects are her building something. When you see her room it's mostly a tool bench. When they disassemble the car, it's another character's prank, but she's the one leading it. This continues to the final act Chris and Mitch (laser physics team) handle the laser, Jordan makes the badges and the new chip, Ick makes the knockout gas, Lazlo uses the computer system he made to brute force the Frito contest to brute force the password.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just watched the Aladdin remake. Most of my thoughts belong in the other movie thread, but I did notice one particular word that was changed in the Prince Ali song. Instead of saying "brush up your sunday salaam," it's changed to "friday salaam"

The original line was just a little throwaway thing, may well have been improv from Robin Williams, and nobody would have noticed if it was left in, but Muslims don't observe the sabbath on sunday. They don't really observe it at all, but of all the days of the week, Friday is considered the holiest

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Probably not super-subtle but the crew making their own flags in Our Flag Means Death. Pretty sure those are all real pirate flags that I saw in some old book and laughed at when I was a kid.

Very authentic but also hilarious. Especially the cat flag.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Probably not super-subtle but the crew making their own flags in Our Flag Means Death. Pretty sure those are all real pirate flags that I saw in some old book and laughed at when I was a kid.

You mean to say there was a real pirate flag with a skull vomiting buttons over another smaller skull?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

That Italian Guy posted:

You mean to say there was a real pirate flag with a skull vomiting buttons over another smaller skull?

I'm guessing yes.

I don't see why there wouldn't have been.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Stede Bonnet's actual flag should have been a cat stretching. Or a skeleton holding it's own skull. That's scary.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A little gag in Beetlejuice I never noticed before: when Alec Baldwin reads to draw a door in the Undead Handbook, he does it and then has to flip two pages ahead to get to the part where it tells him to knock three times. The massive, byzantine handbook spends two pages describing how to draw a rectangle with a circle in it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

A little gag in Beetlejuice I never noticed before: when Alec Baldwin reads to draw a door in the Undead Handbook, he does it and then has to flip two pages ahead to get to the part where it tells him to knock three times. The massive, byzantine handbook spends two pages describing how to draw a rectangle with a circle in it.

Hey, you try existing from a time where convex and concave meant the same thing, where length, height and width are suggestions rather than absolutes, and where buildings cause headaches when looked at in the third dimension, and then try drawing "two long equal lines with two shorter equal lines connecting them, one at the top and one at the bottom."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I always thought the door he draws looks like the one Kirk Van Houten draws after his disastrous attempt at "dignity."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's only so many ways to half-assedly draw a door.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
It always seemed to me like he initially forgets to draw the doorknob, and then he's like, "haha woops I'm dumb"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun bit in Everything Everywhere All At Once is when Evelyn first connects with the restaurant universe she's told another chef is doing much better than her and when they cut to him you can see the raccoon tail coming from his chef's hat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just really dug the visual motif of the black circle as everything going wrong; the audited receipts, Jobu's symbol, even the faces of the empty washers in their laundromat. Then, of course, the symbol of ultimate love, compassion, and hope is the opposite; a white circle with a black center.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pilot episode of X Files has a scene in an airplane fight to the crime scene where the camera is zooming in on a newspaper clipping, and from the first frame to the last, "untimely death" becomes "timely death"

I have to believe that's intentional, I want to believe

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Watched the newest Spider-Man movie & noticed a neat little detail in one spot

When Dr. Strange fights him for the spell box & does the "ethereal" trick, you can see the squiggly spidey sense lines around Peter's head, especially when they're close in on his face & he says "this feels amazing"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the Last Duel and it has some neat little moment where things are perceived differently from different perspectives: In Damon's character's version of the truth there's a scene where he's really sick after a campaign in Scotland and his mother seemingly doesn't care. In Comer's version of the same scene he barely have a sniffle and his mother is really concerned about him. Then after the rape Damon's character declares in public that "I have a plan to deal with this." In Comer's version he declares that "we have a plan to deal with this".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alhazred posted:

Watched the Last Duel and it has some neat little moment where things are perceived differently from different perspectives: In Damon's character's version of the truth there's a scene where he's really sick after a campaign in Scotland and his mother seemingly doesn't care. In Comer's version of the same scene he barely have a sniffle and his mother is really concerned about him. Then after the rape Damon's character declares in public that "I have a plan to deal with this." In Comer's version he declares that "we have a plan to deal with this".
Yeah the movie is full of that kinda of things. One of my favorites is that, when Le Carrouge and Le Gris meet at the wedding, each version has someone speak the words of reconciliation - it's themselves in Le Carrouge's and Le Gris's version and the host in Marguerite's version. Which I assume to be the truth in general, given the title change during the introduction.

On a rewatch I caught that when Le Gris is having an orgy with Pierre, he runs after a courtesan that is going "No, no!" in an alluring manner, then catches her, picks her up and deposits her on a bed in a way that is almost entirely mirrored in his "version" of the rape scene, although even with his more generous version is clear that Marguerite is being much more forceful in her rejection. On a first watch I was certain that he was just putting on an act with his denial; on a second watch, that scene and a few more details seem to indicate that he actually believed his lies.

There are also some other details that are show the same in different versions, but have different connotations depending on the point of view. For example in the wedding scene, Marguerite smiles at Le Gris when they lock eyes from a distance, while she is dancing with her husband; from Le Gris perspective, this is because she is into him. But from Marguerite's point of view, she is smiling at Le Gris while saying with her husband how little she thinks of him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also, apparently Isabeau of Bavaria having her nipples pierced is historically accurate.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The funniest is the one when Carrouges confronts the Duke about not getting his father's position. In his version, it cuts right to him in bed telling his wife how eloquent he'd been. In Le Gris's, it's a gibbering screed, literally inarticulate in places, and the closest thing to a point he makes is how long he waited for his father to die lol.

Man Ridley Scott can really make movies when he bothers to put in the :effort: once a decade or so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

Also, apparently Isabeau of Bavaria having her nipples pierced is historically accurate.

I haven't seen this movie but I don't know why this surprises me. I'm sure people pierced everything at every point in history.

Kuiperdolin posted:

The funniest is the one when Carrouges confronts the Duke about not getting his father's position. In his version, it cuts right to him in bed telling his wife how eloquent he'd been. In Le Gris's, it's a gibbering screed, literally inarticulate in places, and the closest thing to a point he makes is how long he waited for his father to die lol.

Man Ridley Scott can really make movies when he bothers to put in the :effort: once a decade or so.

Ridley scott always puts in the effort. :colbert: Sometimes he also manages to put in the quality

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Despite the accents sometimes you gotta be reminded this movie is set in France.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Despite the accents sometimes you gotta be reminded this movie is set in France.

It was kinda hilarious how one of the last shots of the movie showed the Notre Dame just in case you forgot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I really like how in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, it's never made clear if Chief is committed or voluntary. Nurse Ratchet establishes that a lot of the patients are there by their own choice. I like the ending better if Chief can leave whenever he wants to but chooses to lift the sink and bust through the loving wall instead as a tribute to his friend.

I've read the book but don't recall if it ever established Chief 's situation one way or the other.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I really like how in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, it's never made clear if Chief is committed or voluntary. Nurse Ratchet establishes that a lot of the patients are there by their own choice. I like the ending better if Chief can leave whenever he wants to but chooses to lift the sink and bust through the loving wall instead as a tribute to his friend.

I've read the book but don't recall if it ever established Chief 's situation one way or the other.

Chief Bromden in the book suffers hallucinations and depression and is a diagnosed schizophrenic. He's almost certainly not there by choice. And if he is, it detracts from McMurphy's efforts to help patients come back to normality through chaos rather than Ratched's brutal order. Chief is, after all, his greatest success.

E: I took a quick shufti past Wiki and saw the article on the movie says that McMurphy and Bromden were both revealed to be involuntarily committed?

Jedit has a new favorite as of 13:39 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jedit posted:

Chief Bromden in the book suffers hallucinations and depression and is a diagnosed schizophrenic. He's almost certainly not there by choice. And if he is, it detracts from McMurphy's efforts to help patients come back to normality through chaos rather than Ratched's brutal order. Chief is, after all, his greatest success.

E: I took a quick shufti past Wiki and saw the article on the movie says that McMurphy and Bromden were both revealed to be involuntarily committed?

Well, there you go then. I like my version better; or at least having it read as open ended.