Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So like every WR is running sub 4.4 this is absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doltos posted:

Except for Burks.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1499525470169272321

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Doltos posted:

4.4 or 4.6 it's like 4.5 doesn't exist anymore

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
why did slade bolden get to go to the combine

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Burks ran a 4.5. BUST.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I do think the Bengals should sign a few veteran interior line people but I also don't think a team that made it to the Super Bowl largely from recent drafts and free agency really has to re-think anything about their approach

A) They lost, which is less than ideal.
B) After they lost we had to wait for 4 days to find out whether we were going two-for-two on offseason knee surgeries for Joe Burrow, which is less than ideal.

Did the Bengals massively outperform expectations? Yes. Were they a perfect - or even a relatively unflawed team? No. People overstate how bad the offensive line is, and a lot of the sacks are on Joe refusing to give up on a play. That doesn't change the fact that the offensive line is a hindrance, and it's been known to be a hindrance for years upon years now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

7yo owns

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

I mean, with his frame he doesn’t explicitly need to be a 4.3 guy. If a team drops him for running a 4.5 they don’t know what they’re doing.

Guessing we get a 4.41ish from olave and a 4.5 from Wilson.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
To balance out the negativity in the last couple posts, when TGG said there's no Jamarr in this draft class I broke into a huge smug-rear end smile.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Olave ran 4.26 in the 40 lmao

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Some dude from Baylor just ran a 4.21 these numbers might be off a hair but still lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chucktesla posted:

Some dude from Baylor just ran a 4.21 these numbers might be off a hair but still lol

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1499557337144733718

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

And there's a 4.21 from a baylor dude I didn't know existed goddamn

Blazing fast class this year

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I don't think four receivers actually just ran sub 4.3 40s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1499557967175237632

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there must be a ja'marr level talent—if not a ja'marr style talent—in there somewhere, with all of these amphetaletes (speedy athletes)

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

That dude was real good during senior bowl week as well

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Christian Watson owns and helped make Trey Lance look good his one year starting. Sucks the NDSU QB situation was poo poo last year and he didn't get to shine. Solid returner too.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

There's my day 2 draft crush baby

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chucktesla posted:

Olave ran 4.26 in the 40 lmao

That is so hard to believe. Olave always reminded me a lot of Tyler Lockett... but Lockett ran a loving 4.4 which seems pedestrian compared to that.

If that holds up he's going way up the board. Dude is so smooth and has such a good feel, he's just butter. I did not expect him to run like that, at all. Are these numbers gonna get revised? Even in the pre-combine talk none of the analysts thought anyone would put up a time in the 4.2s this year

Also Desmond Ridder put up a 4.49... I think based on his senior bowl and combine performances he's gonna wedge himself into the late first round, hell maybe the middle of the first round depending on how desperate teams end up for QBs. Good size, fast, long term starter, helped build that Cincinnati program. I'm not sure he's gonna be good but I think he's gonna get a lot more interest now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Combine website dropped the unofficial part so looks confirmed for him and Tyquan Thornton for his record

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62, Deebo Samuel a 4.48. Best two receivers in football last year, ran away from plenty of guys on the field. So play speed is a thing, and everything else you need to be good, plus we've seen plenty of speedsters come and go in the NFL.

Still, very surprised at the overall speed of this group. Impressive!

e: Got my eye on Khalil Shakir. Ran a super surprising 4.35 and he's just got that small slot body type, thick and with really short legs so amazing change of direction and very quick

Play fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 4, 2022

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah I don't mean to imply this is a be all end all thing just like you said very surprising

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah I don't mean to imply this is a be all end all thing just like you said very surprising

For sure I wasn't responding to you, just being my normal annoying pontificating self

Was watching the tight ends and man there's so many different body types in that group. Going from 5'11 to 6'7+ and every kind of build in that range. Some good runners too, appears to be a pretty deep group where teams could find some contributors late in the draft.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I’ve heard a bit more chatter this year about the 20 yard to 40 yard split for measuring breakaway acceleration. Anyone see the draftniks tracking it?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1499591415432900611?s=21

Just a hair off for Olave

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Disappointing to see that guy from Baylor I've never heard of run a high 4.2 instead of a low 4.2

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish i lived in the future time when humans are running 3.33 40 yard dashes instead of this bull crap. i hope Ty Fryfogle goes to the afc north so i can say Ty Fryfogle and nothing else here in about 5 or 6 years

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1499594322009853955?t=aKFTciX6vrRmdnFDQ4gzIA&s=19

Wilson was faster than Olave by a hair. Jesus these guys are fast.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Woozie66 posted:

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1499594322009853955?t=aKFTciX6vrRmdnFDQ4gzIA&s=19

That makes a lot more sense. Still blazing fast but something must've been up with the timing device, I don't recall seeing so many corrections of this magnitude before. Olave is more than a tenth off.

Either way I've already talked myself into a bunch of the wideouts and like half the quarterbacks. Open field drills make everyone look good

Also I happened to notice that Kenny Pickett wears gloves including on his throwing hand. Isn't Teddy Bridgewater the only guy who does that in the NFL?

Play fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 4, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jameis has worn a glove on his throwing hand before. not sure if he does currently

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

David carr did it

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Kurt Warner infamously began wearing gloves full time while in Arizona, and IIRC Peyton Manning did so too for a lot of his time in Denver.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Bo Melton

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Kurt Warner infamously began wearing gloves full time while in Arizona, and IIRC Peyton Manning did so too for a lot of his time in Denver.

Warner was talking about that during drills and seemed weirded out that Pickett was doing it. Kurt started because of hand injury, Pickett seems to be doing it because he's shook.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Weird
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1499750129078878208

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Someone in the comment mentioned only 13 of the 40 WR's ran it.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/BigDuke50/status/1499775059753381891?t=xnwQpv1ongdrdEH00-V0IA&s=19

Charles Cross played at sub 290?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

You can totally get away with that in an air raid. Every single lineman is essentially 1 v 1 iso blocking on a wide split where the DL has to declare what it's doing every time. 1v1 blocking, a T can be lighter since they're likely going to be bigger, and it can be advantageous to have a touch more agility since your gaps to your sides are wider with the splits. If he's 310 now and runs decently, that's going to go a long way to making people feel better about him.

Woozie66 posted:

Olave's inability to consistently dominate games despite getting open smoothly and with ease is just so weird. It's like how I felt about Jerry Jeudy a couple years ago. He doesn't have the catch radius with arms or vertical to be a big contested catch guy either. I've loved him as a college player, but he just has such a "polished WR who doesn't convert to an elite WR" feel to him like a Sterling Shepherd type.

Wilson is straight-line fast, but he needs to prove it with 3 cone at this point. It's hard to tell if he's just overstepping to try to trip up a defender or if he needs it to be able to cut at times on the film, and I'm very interested if he's going to be stiff on something like that.

Alec Pierce made himself some money yesterday. Dude was probably a 3rd rounder but might be a high 2nd with some teams that value combine results. I don't think he plays as fast vertically as his 40, but he's an insane catch radius dude who bailed Ridder out a lot and can be a big physical receiver at the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Sounds like the Cowboys are going to be releasing Amari Cooper. What are the chances any of the good receivers are still on the board when they pick at 24? Who’s the likely best option there?