Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine when there's things like recurring villains, or when a character's personal drama becomes a major aspect of the episode. For a show/franchise that's largely grounded in reality, those kind of things push into a more unrealistic zone, which I think clashes horribly.

I guess they more or less needed the L&O branding because they're explicitly bringing back Stabler's character, and then making a more generic cop drama rather than a real police procedural. And SVU is very tied to the show, because there's been talk that they want a Benson-Stabler romance down the line, which is a horrible idea IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Ned Eisenberg who recurred on SVU as attorney Roger Kressler for over a decade has passed away at the age of 65.

He also had a recurring role on original Law & Order as James Granick, appeared on Criminal Intent in two separate roles and was even in the Exiled TV movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Max Wilco posted:

Something that irked me all through out that even though they were using the same sets (or what looked to be the same sets for the precinct) as before it went off the air, everything looked very sterile. A couple of months ago, I was watching clips of L&O on the official YouTube channel, and something that was pointed out in the comments (I think maybe in regard to SVU) is that when the show was still in 4:3, they would try to fit everything they could into one shot, which did a good job of making the room seem cramped and crowded. Now the squad room looks empty. The lighting also seems too bright, and everything seems too clean. I just can't tell if it's a drop-off in the quality of scene blocking, or if it's just a result of the show now being broadcast in 16:9 and 4K.

You're not wrong about the lighting being too bright. It's bright and blown out, artificial, and too color saturated in that digital video way a lot of modern productions are. Bugged me too.

Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

This might seem like subtle nitpick, but when combined with other things that bother me, it starts making a big difference.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Chris_Meloni/status/1498486397430382596?s=20&t=ZzE9Qr1lwdRoHIMTjbc9sg

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The lack of extras might be a covid thing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Is there anyone around to agree with me about how much Rollins & Carisi's stupid relationship sucks?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is there anyone around to agree with me about how much Rollins & Carisi's stupid relationship sucks?

Yeah, it's stupid and feels like filler to give Giddish and Scanavino something to do, because otherwise they sit on the sidelines nearly as much as Richard Belzer did in his final years on the show.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel like they went way too overboard with the personal drama stuff with Rollins, to the point where I keep wondering "how is she still a cop?".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's stupid and feels like filler to give Giddish and Scanavino something to do, because otherwise they sit on the sidelines nearly as much as Richard Belzer did in his final years on the show.

Yes! Thank you, "filler" is a great way to describe it. What bothers me most about it is how obligatory it feels. In every show since the beginning of time, it seems as though any heterosexual opposite-sex duo that are around the same age just HAVE to get romantically involved, no matter what. This is part of what made the completely platonic pairing of Benson & Stabler so refreshing, because the show let them be partners & close friends and their chemistry remained intact.

Meanwhile, Rollins & "Uncle Sonny" are over here just...existing. Zero chemistry, forced "drama", tired trope. It's like the writers/producers/showrunners/whoever didn't even try to make them make sense. I've heard rumors that OC is going to jam Jet & Malachi together too, and I'm not here for it.

DaveWoo posted:

I feel like they went way too overboard with the personal drama stuff with Rollins, to the point where I keep wondering "how is she still a cop?".

I would be okay with wondering how she's still a cop if her personal drama were at least interesting.

Okay, now I can gather my other thoughts.

SVU thoughts:
* Whether or not people actually DO tend to remember their assaults in bits & pieces, having the victim suddenly remember everything clear as day AND have every picture they needed exactly the second that they needed her to came across as bad writing.
* The dark-haired & -eyed girl turned out to be the biological daughter of two dirty blond light-eyed people, and it made me think of Eli Stabler.
* The girl thinking that her mom's old crush was her father because they both liked the outdoors was some serious Maury logic, but I can't be mad because her desperation to know her bio dad at least made sense character-wise.
* I hate Rollins & Carisi so much.

OC thoughts:
* Richard & Angela Wheatley give me a serious Boris & Natasha vibe, and they're aaaaalmost too cartoon-supervillain-y for me. Almost.
* Malachi threatening to doxx Stabler's family made me :lol:.
* I want to know what happens next. :ohdear:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

:lmao: the Boris and Natasha comparison is so good, that’s exactly it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a funny coincidence they're airing this episode the same night Hulu's Theranos show drops.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

ok admittedly i wasn't paying much attention during the first half of this episode but, as much as i can't stand detective burn notice, i really really love hugh dancy's character (as if i didn't ALREADY love him as will graham from nbc's hannibal series) and the sauteed crickets thing just cemented it for me. lmao

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Ok, that felt more authentic to vanilla. Not 100% but better.

A little mad that she never dropped the voice. Might’ve have gotten them sued though. Break through that its just a coincidence protection

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
lol that ending of SVU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Ok, that felt more authentic to vanilla. Not 100% but better.

A little mad that she never dropped the voice. Might’ve have gotten them sued though. Break through that its just a coincidence protection

Yeah, that was a much better episode. There are still some rough edges--notably Camryn Manheim, who is just a complete and utter black hole of charisma--but at least Sam Waterston didn't look like a meat puppet and Detective Burn Notice was a lot more tolerable.

Definite improvement.

That SVU episode, though ... good Lord.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Timby posted:

Yeah, that was a much better episode. There are still some rough edges--notably Camryn Manheim, who is just a complete and utter black hole of charisma--but at least Sam Waterston didn't look like a meat puppet and Detective Burn Notice was a lot more tolerable.

Definite improvement.

With a bunch of the close-up singles in the first half of the episode, especially that first interview with Ellis, I wonder if they reshot a bunch of the detective scenes after getting some of the feedback on Cosgrove. He was definitely more restrained. Dixon was less herky jerky this time too, though there was still a bit of random movement when she was speaking.

I really liked the trial side of the episode. The back and forth between Price and Maroun was very good, the trial itself was interesting, and Price even had a good moment with McCoy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
OC was the best of the L&Os tonight by far, despite the awful forced romantic bullshit. I thought it was going to turn out that the hacker was playing the techies on Richard's behalf to get them blown to smithereens by the old abandoned power plant, and now I wish that he had been.

Is it just me, or was the rapist murder shock jock dumb as a loving post? I can't imagine a universe in which any of his interactions with Rollins make any kind of logical sense.

fartknocker posted:

lol that ending of SVU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is it just me, or was the rapist murder shock jock dumb as a loving post? I can't imagine a universe in which any of his interactions with Rollins make any kind of logical sense.

Jake Weber is always a treat to watch, but this was a standout bonkers-stupid episode of SVU in a season that's already reached peak stupid on several occasions.

Hand Knit posted:

With a bunch of the close-up singles in the first half of the episode, especially that first interview with Ellis, I wonder if they reshot a bunch of the detective scenes after getting some of the feedback on Cosgrove. He was definitely more restrained.

There wouldn't have been enough time to re-shoot and re-edit the episode within a week; I just think the direction by Michael Pressman was much more restrained than what Jean de Segonzac did with the premiere.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

Definite improvement.

Cragen and Van Buren had very strong personalities and an actual presence. You would look forward to their scenes. This current lieutenant adds nothing to the show. If the show gets picked up for another season they better figure that poo poo out or find someone else.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 4, 2022

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

With a bunch of the close-up singles in the first half of the episode, especially that first interview with Ellis, I wonder if they reshot a bunch of the detective scenes after getting some of the feedback on Cosgrove. He was definitely more restrained.

Original L&O tends to introduce characters at their most amplified in episode 1 and then dial them back for episodes where they're not the focus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

rujasu posted:

Original L&O tends to introduce characters at their most amplified in episode 1 and then dial them back for episodes where they're not the focus.

Depends on the character, really. It took them the better part of season 15 to take the criticism of Fontana to heart and drop the constant hints that he was a crooked cop, and then they turned him into a slightly more hard-boiled version of Briscoe. But they also softened Carmichael almost immediately after her first episode (in which she famously said, "No deals for anyone. Let's hang 'em all"). Borgia wasn't around long enough to develop a character beyond "devout Catholic." McCoy was McCoy pretty much out of the gate, so were Briscoe and Green.

In short, L&O is a land of contrasts.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Cragen and Van Buren had very strong personalities and an actual presence. You would look forward to their scenes. This current lieutenant adds nothing to the show. If the show gets picked up for another season they better figure that poo poo out or find someone else.

I think part of the problem for me is that I have never liked Camryn Manheim and she seems to play the exact same character in everything I've seen her in. Dixon feels just the same as Ellenor Fruitt on The Practice, who feels just the same as her role on Major Crimes, who feels the same as pretty much all of her television guest spots over the last three decades. And I've never, ever found her to have any screen presence whatsoever. You're right that the character is horribly written right now, but Manheim just doesn't help at all.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Solovey posted:

i really really love hugh dancy's character (as if i didn't ALREADY love him as will graham from nbc's hannibal series) and the sauteed crickets thing just cemented it for me. lmao

Same!! I was thrilled when it was announced he was joining the cast. :buddy:

I thought the order side was even better this week and really enjoyed Price and Maroun. One part that made me laugh especially hard was when Not-Elizabeth Holmes is on the stand and says all this start-up techbro bullshit and Price just flatly says “I have no idea what any of that means”.

The goddamned shaky camera thing still gets me though, there was one scene in the squad room at the beginning that was really hard to look at it but thankfully it was a lot calmer during the rest of the episode. I know it’s like that in all of the shows but it seems especially bad on this one. Also it feels like they calmed down the background music a lot? Thank god.

SVU: what the absolute gently caress

OC: what the absolute gently caress, but in a fun way! Loved almost everything except the forced romantic bullshit as was mentioned already. Laughed when jet and Malachi were looking over building plans with McClane and saw the tech from the 80s and 90s and were like “this shits too old, can you help us :(“ Also holy poo poo the ending wheatley obviously swam to his emergency miniature submarine and escaped to his sea lair where he is drinking champagne and laughing in a turtleneck:allears:

Also it looks like maybe Stabler might possibly face a consequence? Maybe? I hope?????

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HOLY gently caress posted:

OC: what the absolute gently caress, but in a fun way! Loved almost everything except the forced romantic bullshit as was mentioned already. Laughed when jet and Malachi were looking over building plans with McClane and saw the tech from the 80s and 90s and were like “this shits too old, can you help us :(“ Also holy poo poo the ending wheatley obviously swam to his emergency miniature submarine and escaped to his sea lair where he is drinking champagne and laughing in a turtleneck:allears:

Also it looks like maybe Stabler might possibly face a consequence? Maybe? I hope?????

If I had to guess, I think the third "chapter" of this season is going to be Congressman Kilbride (who I think it has been mentioned is angling for higher office?) using the weight of the Marcy Killers organization to make Stabler out to be an example as part of his "police reform" platform, and the story will be about OCCB trying to take Kilbride down.

Funny coincidence that once again Mykelti Williamson is playing a long-term bad guy in a Dick Wolf show.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

McCoy was McCoy pretty much out of the gate, so were Briscoe and Green.

I think Briscoe’s first episode or two is a bit different than the character he develops into. I’m pretty sure the first time his name is even mentioned is a CSU tech going to Logan “Ugh, Briscoe is your new partner?” and there’s various little hints about him being kinda lazy or crooked, not to mention Cragen and Logan giving him the :chloe: look over some racial line in the squad room. The basis of what becomes the typical Briscoe is there, but I think there’s a bunch of other aspects of the character that got changed pretty quickly.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think Lenny was the first character who had plot time spent on their history. I love the standard format, but really wish episodes like aftershock weren't just one off's.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HOLY gently caress posted:

SVU: what the absolute gently caress

OC: what the absolute gently caress, but in a fun way!

I wish this could be the thread title

quote:

Also holy poo poo the ending wheatley obviously swam to his emergency miniature submarine and escaped to his sea lair where he is drinking champagne and laughing in a turtleneck:allears:

Oh man, this would be amazing :haw:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

I think Lenny was the first character who had plot time spent on their history. I love the standard format, but really wish episodes like aftershock weren't just one off's.

I hated Aftershock and wish it was a zero-off tbh. If I wanted something non-formulaic I wouldn't be watching original L&O

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fartknocker posted:

I think Briscoe’s first episode or two is a bit different than the character he develops into. I’m pretty sure the first time his name is even mentioned is a CSU tech going to Logan “Ugh, Briscoe is your new partner?” and there’s various little hints about him being kinda lazy or crooked, not to mention Cragen and Logan giving him the :chloe: look over some racial line in the squad room. The basis of what becomes the typical Briscoe is there, but I think there’s a bunch of other aspects of the character that got changed pretty quickly.

I can't find a clip on youtube but if I remember correctly Briscoe is introduced walking out of a cloud of steam onto a murder scene like a goddamn hero arriving to save everyone. It's amazing.

I watched the two episodes of S21 so far. Second definitely felt more collected than the first, the first episode felt like a new spinoff but the second felt a bit more classic with that opener straight out of the book. The new remix theme and the shadow effects on the intro are fine? Not terrible, I'm okay with a little punch up that goes "you're watching Law and Order in 2022." Characters settled down a bit more, I liked Manheim confronting Dancy over the arrest.

There's a little bit of interesting continuity developing - the show's mentioned BLM/defund the police last week, and this week was #MeToo. They're definitely aware there's been some changes in how these issues have been represented in culture/politics since S20. But in both final scenes, you had the ADAs on the courtroom steps and in the first one Halevi's character looks at the protestors, thinks about what she just did, and then presses Darcy for the lowest sentence possible. This week, Dancy comments on the lack of protestors and how that means he got it right. It's a smart way to keep those tensions apparent without them dragging the whole episode down (since neither episode was actually "about" those movements.)

Still, I would like next week to not involve a sexual assault/rape allegation? Can we take a week off from being pseudo-SVU?

e: oh, and they do need to tighten up the plotting on the Law side a bit. How the gently caress did black lady Det. Profaci track down not just an email but a deleted one as an aside without being like three search warrants deep?

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 5, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

I can't find a clip on youtube but if I remember correctly Briscoe is introduced walking out of a cloud of steam onto a murder scene like a goddamn hero arriving to save everyone. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkoRFFJenY0

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

quote:

e: oh, and they do need to tighten up the plotting on the Law side a bit. How the gently caress did black lady Det. Profaci track down not just an email but a deleted one as an aside without being like three search warrants deep?

I assumed this was her looking in the guys smartphone? But yeah, she kinda came bopping out of nowhere on that. In the good old days, they would have been in some windowless room to find this info.

I thought the scene where Dixon declared she was arresting the lady, and the DAs better figure something out clanged for me. I’m not super familiar with late model L&O tho

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I thought the scene where Dixon declared she was arresting the lady, and the DAs better figure something out clanged for me. I’m not super familiar with late model L&O tho

In later seasons S. Epatha Merkerson asked for her role to be increased and as part of that she showed up at the DA's office more and more for meetings like that. It was very forthright for the Lieutenant to go "we're arresting her, you pick whether you're coming along" but not totally unwarranted.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 5, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

I'd started watching from the seasons with both Briscoe and McCoy so when I ran out I started from Briscoe's first episode to get my L&O fix. Knowing everything you know about the character and then seeing that as his first appearance was so goddamn prescient on the part of whoever was in charge of casting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'd started watching from the seasons with both Briscoe and McCoy so when I ran out I started from Briscoe's first episode to get my L&O fix. Knowing everything you know about the character and then seeing that as his first appearance was so goddamn prescient on the part of whoever was in charge of casting.

It helped that Jerry Orbach had played defense attorney Frank Lehrman in season 2, so they already had an idea of what his strengths were as an actor (notably, his dry wit and ability to snap complicated dialogue off without a hitch).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Milena Govich is now directing episodes of FBI: Most Wanted. Something about that hurts my brain.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
So I've been outta the loop on SVU for a while and watched a couple recent episodes out of order

Are they making it a habit now to show the crime taking place? Finding out what happened is the whole crux of law and order and I won't stand for this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

Milena Govich is now directing episodes of FBI: Most Wanted. Something about that hurts my brain.

She's been directing Dick Wolf shows for a while. She also directed this week's episode of Vanilla.

TheSwizzler posted:

Are they making it a habit now to show the crime taking place? Finding out what happened is the whole crux of law and order and I won't stand for this.

Became pretty common on SVU when Warren Leight took over the show beginning with season 13.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

She's been directing Dick Wolf shows for a while. She also directed this week's episode of Vanilla.

And according to the cast, her aunt is in the episode too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well, that was a completely unmemorable episode of Vanilla.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

"Rap sheet as long as a CVS receipt" was a good line.

Burnnotice was even angrier than usual in this episode and... it wasn't really clear why? Like his characterization seemed to make sense for the first 15 minutes of the episode, he doesn't like the social media, blah blah blah, and then he's suddenly raging at the suspect for reasons that I seem to have missed? It felt like a Stabler-esque "now it's personal" except it wasn't even personal, he just kinda randomly hulked out and then there wasn't any real payoff for it. It was just, like, oh, we need Cosgrove to get inappropriately angry in this episode because that's what he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I liked the episode well enough. It was perfectly functional. There definitely seems to be a running theme about truth and narratives and manipulation, and I wouldn't be surprised if it runs through the season. I like the way it seems to make jury selection a focal point of the episodes: as much as Price is pontificating about the truth and justice, there's this inescapable element of picking the people most likely to believe him.

rujasu posted:

Burnnotice was even angrier than usual in this episode and... it wasn't really clear why? Like his characterization seemed to make sense for the first 15 minutes of the episode, he doesn't like the social media, blah blah blah, and then he's suddenly raging at the suspect for reasons that I seem to have missed? It felt like a Stabler-esque "now it's personal" except it wasn't even personal, he just kinda randomly hulked out and then there wasn't any real payoff for it. It was just, like, oh, we need Cosgrove to get inappropriately angry in this episode because that's what he does.

So far Cosgrove seems like a guy who absolutely has to get his way, and his only real technique for getting his way is threatening (or enacting) violence. The two times he hulked out this episode were when the suspects weren't talking to him. He even got very threatening when talking to the vegan guy. I liked the look that Bernard gave to nobody in particular in the park after they caught the guy and Cosgrove was calmed down. Like he can see exactly where this is going, but he can't really do anything to stop it in the long run so he's just gonna enjoy the show.