Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Outside the context of the person's overall life. You can't tell if it's their whole personality if it's all you can see.

Just admit that it's you we're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I can laugh at bad tattoos without assuming the tattoo is their whole personality. Most of the time.

That’s fine it’s just this whole thread consists of a lot of judging others based on generally out of context images of their tattoos. It’s very judgmental by design. Is the neuter tattoo guy gonna read this thread or something?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Marcade posted:

What if the dog has neuticles?

I'm pretty upset that you reminded me about neuticles.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dude i dont even know what a dog is

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It’s like those historical prints from artists trying to represent, like, a rhinoceros as described by some Greek scholar who heard about them from a third hand story from a random sailor’s rants or whatever.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I know it's SUPPOSED to be a dog but my brain just cannot comprehend what it's seeing. A melting ice cream cake?!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It's a Pitbull. I feel that this is sufficient to judge harshly

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Mx. posted:

dude i dont even know what a dog is

I didn't know Hirohiko Araki did tattoos!

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I can't be the only one seeing a hosed up Batman

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Ironhead posted:

I can't be the only one seeing a hosed up Batman

well, now you aren’t

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Read After Burning posted:

I know it's SUPPOSED to be a dog but my brain just cannot comprehend what it's seeing. A melting ice cream cake?!

Someone left the dog out in the rain.

I don't think I can take it, it took so long to make it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sloth Life posted:

It's a Pitbull. I feel that this is sufficient to judge harshly

Don't be a dick, he just wanted everyone worldwide to party

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just steered my buddy away from this artist, but lmfao look at this website: https://www.carlybenny.com/

Really nicely produced intro video, pretty, and then just absolute dogshit linework :psyduck:

quote:

Carly is Champaign’s only female tattoo artist that specializes in simple, clean black linework.

:thunk:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Johnny Truant posted:

I just steered my buddy away from this artist, but lmfao look at this website: https://www.carlybenny.com/

Really nicely produced intro video, pretty, and then just absolute dogshit linework :psyduck:

:thunk:

What's bad about the line work? I don't have any tattoos and I don't know much about them. Is it because they're not shaded or colored in?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

knuthgrush posted:

What's bad about the line work? I don't have any tattoos and I don't know much about them. Is it because they're not shaded or colored in?

The lines (and all she does is black lines) are shaky, blobbly, and in at least one example, there's some bare spots - in a straight solid line.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Shading and coloring has nothing to do with the linework. Let's take this one from her portfolio:

Just look at the star and the crescent moon. Those should be nice and regular, since they're geometric shapes. They are...decidedly not.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Ah, I get it. Thanks for the explanations.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where is the good tat thread?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663422

HazCat
May 4, 2009

It's hard to appreciate why that artist is so bad, because at least part of the badness is intentional - she's going for a specific 'outside art' style that's quite popular.

But her technique is also bad. I would actually use this as the best example:

See how the curly lines inside the main leaf look thicker, fuzzier and less black than the rest of the lines? That's called a blowout, and it's caused by the tattoo ink 'leaking' under the skin instead of staying where the artist intended it to stay. That's not a stylistic choice, that's bad technique.

Blowouts aren't always down to bad technique - some areas are more prone to it, and sometimes you just get unlucky because tattooing is an organic artform and sometimes poo poo interacts in ways the artist couldn't anticipate. But that tattoo is in a spot that should not normally get blown out like that, and that's a very large portion of the piece that's blown out, and the artist has this piece as one of her showcase pieces on her website, which suggests she doesn't even realise it's a flawed piece. All red flags which, if you're ever looking for an artist to do a simple black linework piece, should tell you to keep on looking.

E: here's an example of an artist who does intentionally 'bad art' tattoos with much better technique. These stars don't look anything like stars, and you might not like that styalistic choice, but it didn't happen because the artist didn't know how to draw better stars or couldn't physically draw better stars, which is more than I could confidently say about that other artist.

(artist is cuddle_death on instagram)

HazCat has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Mar 6, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HazCat posted:

E: here's an example of an artist who does intentionally 'bad art' tattoos with much better technique. These stars don't look anything like stars, and you might not like that styalistic choice, but it didn't happen because the artist didn't know how to draw better stars or couldn't physically draw better stars, which is more than I could confidently say about that other artist.

(artist is cuddle_death on instagram)

Yeah the stars, although lovely, are consistent. The teeth are also good on the dog, they remembered that the tongue would be behind the teeth at that angle. I love the details on the dog, they just couldn't resist doing good linework on the dog's head, with the little scars and the droopy, backwards facing ears. Much better example of outsider style.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All ‘outsider art’ tattoos belong in this thread whether they were executed with technical excellency or not.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Simple, clean, black linework :derp:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

HazCat posted:

See how the curly lines inside the main leaf look thicker, fuzzier and less black than the rest of the lines? That's called a blowout …

Nah, that’s a coverup of a pre-existing and much older lovely wave tattoo.

Not excusing her lack of skill tho - it’s bad.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well now I've seen a thing I can't unsee. Saw two tattoos while I was out last night that had these issues. Thanks for ruining my brain, nerds.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Braincloud posted:

Imagine going to a linework artist to get a coverup tattoo...

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

History Comes Inside! posted:

All ‘outsider art’ tattoos belong in this thread whether they were executed with technical excellency or not.

:same:

knuthgrush posted:

Well now I've seen a thing I can't unsee. Saw two tattoos while I was out last night that had these issues. Thanks for ruining my brain, nerds.

:yeah:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

nah

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Braincloud posted:

Ha I’m guessing the person who did the wave just completely gave up after blowing out every single opportunity. It’s quite incredible.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No I don't care about her legs but the penguin NEEDS to be there

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Bro, is she being asphyxiated?"
*explains ahegao*
"Asphyxiation woulda been the less creepy option. Get out of my house."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For another example of an artist who does simple line drawings well, check out Discount Stab Shack

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yah though

Simple black line work can make for a killer tattoo, but ‘outsider art’ tattoos are exclusively for people who only like things ironically.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

There's gotta be a better term than "outsider art" for this style, because these people sure aren't Adolf Wolfli and Co. Is there a specific name for the intentionally bad hipster line art aesthetic?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Janky Doodlez is firmly in that same category. I like his stuff, it's fun, but yeah I don't know what the best term for this style is.

I've been planning to try to book at Discount Stab Shack when I make it up to the PNW, and the wife and I both want some Mr. Heggies.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I’ve probably said it before, but Mr. Stab Shack is a really nice guy (and super quick). I’d get stabbed again if/when I’m up that way.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I get it's supposed to be a sexy ahegao face, but it looks like Misato has just hit her beer limit and the tattoo captures the split second before the monumental chunder that Shinji will have to mop up in the morning.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Yah though

Simple black line work can make for a killer tattoo, but ‘outsider art’ tattoos are exclusively for people who only like things ironically.

those are cool, sorry you don't see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

There's gotta be a better term than "outsider art" for this style, because these people sure aren't Adolf Wolfli and Co. Is there a specific name for the intentionally bad hipster line art aesthetic?

I've heard 'Ignorant Art' which fits pretty well