Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

And now for something completely different:

Saw this during a walk in northern Germany. That's the first time I've seen Cyrillic here. I wonder if it's a coincidence or preparation for the arrival of refugees. (The city took a lot of Syrian refugees as well)
Then it should be in Ukrainian maybe :thunk:

J/k it would be perfectly understandable for everyone but does make me think it's not the intention. Do you have a lot of Russian immigrants up there like in Sachsen? Probably not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
No, definitely not a lot of Russian immigrants. It's a university town (we just cut a ton of relations with Russian universities, though their students are allowed to stay and continue. They don't need signs in Russian though).

I have a hunch they just don't have the material in Ukrainian (yet?) and took the next best. Kiel took a lot of Syrian refugees and there were a lot of signs in Arabic around for a while.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I'm so loving tired of being anxious all the time

Probably never going to speak to half of my vata family ever again for becoming warmongering shitbrained vegetables

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wow, feeling thankful I don't seem to have anyone like that in my circle. But of course, I've had zero-tolerance policy for vata acquaintances since Crimea. Everyone at the office mostly keeps their opinions to themselves out of self-preservation, but no-one looks like they're secretly happy, in fact, everyone's visibly scared.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My current “random Russian people” environment is my gym. To my my relief, unlike with ‘rona, everyone is uniformly disgusted by Kremlin.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In Poland it takes a special kind of person to be pro-Kremlin, but I know some from local forums. I'm not visiting those sites since last week, I'd rather keep my sanity.
In tech sector there's already a lot of people from former USSR, so understandably having a colleague whose family is trapped in Kharkiv influences one's opinion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my family went full trump/antivax the last few years, so i wasn't sure anymore, but it seems there are some limits to just how broken their polish brains can get.

i'm still a bit worried that after the early feelgood period, there'll be a growing anti-refugee sentiment fueled by agitators exploiting the troubled past of our two nations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
There is something cathartic about all the Russian shills in the country having to work in the open now. No cover, nothing to conceal them, just their undignified worm asses all bare for the world to see. For once, you know who's a disingenuous Kremlin lackey. I hope they strip Braun of immunity and someone tars and feathers the fucker.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

my family went full trump/antivax the last few years, so i wasn't sure anymore, but it seems there are some limits to just how broken their polish brains can get.

i'm still a bit worried that after the early feelgood period, there'll be a growing anti-refugee sentiment fueled by agitators exploiting the troubled past of our two nations.

I also expect that, but it would require some serious false flag stuff to drum up enough of the usual "Banderites are doing UPA marches in our town". It's more likely we'll see "Arabs with knives are organizing roaming rape gangs", saw some football hooligan shitheads try to feed that kind of propaganda recently.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The olds in my side if the family have very much a “they had it coming” mindset (or “why wear such a short skirt”) without being pro Putin. There are some mental gymnastics there, but the gist seems to be Ukraine should have went through a break up after WWII along language/nationality lines, sort of what Batka was showing on his map a few days ago. My wife’s family on the other hand is perfectly sane.

I do think coming outright as #ISrandWithPutin would get you punched in the face. Even the usual Putin shills are nowhere to be seen or play the “see, everyone should have access to firearms!” alternative line.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
So, Riga did a thing and renamed the stretch of the street where the Russian embassy to Ukrainian Independence street. I also heard that Anna Politkovskaya street was suggested somewhere.

https://twitter.com/ltvzinas/status/1499737566781841413

edit: weird/lovely Twitter take I saw today is that some people hope that Masha and the Bear get taken off air. the original take was joking, the replies weren't

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 4, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/1499814921139224578

echoes of Duma members posting to their Telegram channels while it was "blocked"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

So, Riga did a thing and renamed the stretch of the street where the Russian embassy to Ukrainian Independence street. I also heard that Anna Politkovskaya street was suggested somewhere.

https://twitter.com/ltvzinas/status/1499737566781841413

edit: weird/lovely Twitter take I saw today is that some people hope that Masha and the Bear get taken off air. the original take was joking, the replies weren't

There would be actual street riots of Latvian parents if Masha and the Bear gets pulled off air.

NyaNyaMeister
Dec 4, 2021

Bruh-nyuu~

I am from this
stupid country :eurovision:
my country decided to finally bite the bullet and sign a request for EU membership after Georgia and Ukraine signed theirs.

The Russian-backed "government" of Transnistria immediately started to bitch, asking for a referendum to see if the population wants in EU or not.

Also their "Ministry of Foreign Affairs" straight up demanded that we recognize their independence.

If this leads to Russia chucking shells at us, I'm dipping.

Current mood: https://vimeo.com/921220930

Thank you Heather Papps for the awesome sig

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Does the EU accept members that have breakaway states?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kamrat posted:

It does not.

The EU can also refuse to admit - or rather keep a candidate waiting indefinitely - for literally any reason, if even one of the members is opposed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kamrat posted:

Cyprus is an EU member.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cyprus is an EU member.

The demand for territorial integrity and settled disputes arose mainly during negotiations with the Balkans States in the 90s and was also explicitly raised in accession dialogue with Turkey. It's the main reason Turkey will never be admitted in its current form

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Thanks for the conflicting replies, I guess it might depend on the situation regarding the states or something. I know the main issue with Serbia joining is the situation with Kosovo.

The breakaway states being Russia-backed makes me think it will never happen anyway, all the requests will probably do is piss off Putin and I don't think pissing off Putin is the right call right now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The demand for territorial integrity and settled disputes arose mainly during negotiations with the Balkans States in the 90s and was also explicitly raised in accession dialogue with Turkey. It's the main reason Turkey will never be admitted in its current form

Edit: Let me try to make this a coherent post.

How did Cyprus join in 2004 then? Settled disputes is an obvious condition when it comes to disputes with EU member states, which is why Turkey is not moving anywhere. Moldova I don't know much about in this regard, but I don't think it has any major disputes with any EU member.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 5, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

It does not.

The EU can also refuse to admit - or rather keep a candidate waiting indefinitely - for literally any reason, if even one of the members is opposed.

Slovenia blocked Croatia for almost a decade due to squabbles over what amounts to a few meters of coastline and some other minor border technicalities. Even after Croatia entered the EU, they kept pushing the issue when Croatia wanted to enter the Schengen zone.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Golden Rule of joining the EU is to be on good terms with your neighbors who are also in the EU.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

NyaNyaMeister posted:

my country decided to finally bite the bullet and sign a request for EU membership after Georgia and Ukraine signed theirs.

The Russian-backed "government" of Transnistria immediately started to bitch, asking for a referendum to see if the population wants in EU or not.

Also their "Ministry of Foreign Affairs" straight up demanded that we recognize their independence.

If this leads to Russia chucking shells at us, I'm dipping.

Ukranian forces just blew up a bridge linking Transnistria to their territory. Hopefully it was just a precaution.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My current “random Russian people” environment is my gym. To my my relief, unlike with ‘rona, everyone is uniformly disgusted by Kremlin.

Maybe they are intimidated with how swole you are, bro.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

How did Cyprus join in 2004 then? Settled disputes is an obvious condition when it comes to disputes with EU member states, which is why Turkey is not moving anywhere. Moldova I don't know much about in this regard, but I don't think it has any major disputes with any EU member.

IIRC, Cyprus' accession was a special case. The EU was heavily involved in getting an island wide reunification referendum going, and at some point promised to let Cyprus join no matter the outcome of said referendum. In a move that was then obvious in hindsight, the Greek Cypriots decided to have their cake and eat it, too. By voting down the unification referendum, while the Turkish Cypriots approved it. The EU was pretty disappointed by that. But in a way, there's no territorial dispute, since the Cyprus that did join the EU apparently doesn't want that territory (and importantly, the people living there...)

Can Georgia even join? Where does the EU define the borders of Europe, since non-European states can't join the Union.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I get the impression that in Eastern Europe, classical music is still quite popular, moreso than in the rest of Europe/the Americas. Are there living composers that create their own modern compositions today as well, or is mostly just still playing the great masters Tchaikovsky, Beethoven etc.? Framing the question a different way, does Eastern Europe have its own Philip Glass or Max Richter?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wanted to add Penderecki, but just checked and he died 2 years ago..

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

In a move that was then obvious in hindsight, the Greek Cypriots decided to have their cake and eat it, too. By voting down the unification referendum, while the Turkish Cypriots approved it.

Can you expand on this point - why was it obvious and why was it desirable to Greek Cypriots? To spite-deny Turkey access to EU?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

alex314 posted:

I wanted to add Penderecki, but just checked and he died 2 years ago..

That's fine, just somebody different from the classic composers everyone already knows.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mmkay posted:

Can you expand on this point - why was it obvious and why was it desirable to Greek Cypriots? To spite-deny Turkey access to EU?

The Greek part of the island has considerably higher GDP/capita than the Turkish part. I can't be bothered to look up the 2004 numbers, but the GPD/capita of the Republic of Cyprus is currently twice as high as that of Northern Cyprus. And in a modern nation state with a functioning social safety net, reunification would have automatically resulted in wealth transfers from the Greeks to the Turks on the island in the form of subsidies, etc. There are some grumblings about such transfers in Germany from the former West German to the former East German parts. Imagine how much less willing people with different ethnicity and religion are to engage in such transfers, especially since they had an armed conflict in living memory.

Looking up the referendum result on wikipedia:

wikipedia posted:

While it was approved by 65% of Turkish Cypriots, it was rejected by 76% of Greek Cypriots. Turnout for the referendum was high at 89% among Greek Cypriots and 87% among Turkish Cypriots, which was taken as indicative of great interest in the issue on the part of the electorates

So it wasn't even close in the Greek part.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't realize the differences were mounting up already back then, thank you for the write up. It's weird though how North Cyprus isn't recognized, but the will to be reunited doesn't exist either - what other path is there, just status quo of existing side by side?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

quarantinethepast posted:

I get the impression that in Eastern Europe, classical music is still quite popular, moreso than in the rest of Europe/the Americas. Are there living composers that create their own modern compositions today as well, or is mostly just still playing the great masters Tchaikovsky, Beethoven etc.? Framing the question a different way, does Eastern Europe have its own Philip Glass or Max Richter?

It's a field I know less than nothing about, but Pēteris Vasks comes to mind as someone who is still alive.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Wojciech Kilar maybe, but he died in 2013. I only know some of his film work. He did Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Ninth Gate.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
How is the difference between the Cyprus communities now? I remember a few years ago it being reported that reunification was polling positively for everyone but got blocked by Turkey or somesuch. It's an interesting case for the potential outcomes for Crimea as an annexed land that is sanctioned and wants to rejoin the original state despite the ethnic divisions

In other news today is the day "actually it's mass death due to incompetence and mismanagement NOT genocide" dictator died and I remember this art piece from a few years ago (someone put up these posters on bus stops overnight), 2017-18?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Inga_Kudracheva/status/1499981418918723584

THAT ONE DIED

THIS ONE SHALL TOO

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

a podcast for cats posted:

The street the Russian embassy in Finland sits on is called Factory Street (Tehtaankatu). There have been proposals to change it to Zelensky Street or, less seriously, Trollfactory Street.

There has also been this time Iran trolled the UK: https://www.bobbysandstrust.com/the-night-we-named-bobby-sands-street/

They changed the street the UK embassy is on to Bobby Sands Street, after an IRA member who died in prison. The embassy cut a hole in a wall to make a new door so that their adress would not be on Bobby Sands Street.

NyaNyaMeister
Dec 4, 2021

Bruh-nyuu~

I am from this
stupid country :eurovision:

Kamrat posted:

I don't think it does, but most people here have stopped giving two shits about Transnistria and would gladly recognize their independence, if it meant we can cut all diplomatic ties with them and mind our own business.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, I don't believe we have.

Romania is our strongest EU member ally and have always pushed us to apply for membership.

And the way we are currently managing the refugee crisis might earn us some brownie points from the other EU countries.

quarantinethepast posted:

In Moldova, we have Eugeniu Doga who is known for his waltzes.

https://youtu.be/od5M5g42SSs

steinrokkan posted:

It does not.

People have suggested that a much quicker and less birocratic process could be unification with Romania.

That way, we get in EU and NATO.

Current mood: https://vimeo.com/921220930

Thank you Heather Papps for the awesome sig

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently there were (relatively small) pro-war protests in Belgrade yesterday. Interesting that they're for foreign intervention now :thunk:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently there were (relatively small) pro-war protests in Belgrade yesterday. Interesting that they're for foreign intervention now :thunk:

It was in support of Russia, not war itself. There were hundreds of people, maybe a thousand or two.
https://www.danas.rs/vesti/politika/rusofobija-je-u-srbiji-statisticka-greska-foto/
It was mostly reported in pro-western media, while regime media ignored it because the protesters targeted "soft" Serbian government too.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1500074642865852421

So uh, this guy got capped by the SBU. I Would Like to Know More about who he was and other background context. I figure asking here is better than in the conflict thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1500074642865852421

So uh, this guy got capped by the SBU. I Would Like to Know More about who he was and other background context. I figure asking here is better than in the conflict thread.

Supposedly connected to Yanukovych via small-time oligarchs of his era.