Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Good article about how ridiculous 0-60 times have gotten and why they shouldn't matter

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgdmqa/its-time-to-talk-about-0-60-times

choice quote

In my personal experience, a lot of acceleration is needed to merge onto the interstate because they were designed for 55MPH cars in the 1960s and now everyone goes 80. That's part of the reason I got a Honda Insight over other hybrid options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

More train posts

what is your favorite Intercity Express train - 1, 2, 3, or 4?

I prefer 1 and 2 because even though multiple electric unit trains are probably more efficient, the sound and power of the custom-designed locomotive on the 1 and 2 is really impressive.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

zegermans posted:

More train posts

I prefer 1 and 2 because even though multiple electric unit trains are probably more efficient, the sound and power of the custom-designed locomotive on the 1 and 2 is really impressive.

I'd really just go for any intercity express train that exists, which I can use, and which is real and not a figment of my imagination. That's my favorite intercity express train.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I'd really just go for any intercity express train that exists, which I can use, and which is real and not a figment of my imagination. That's my favorite intercity express train.

How about a trip from Beijing to Shanghai at a whisper-quiet 150KPH while you sleep in your own personal capsule hotel, costs like $40 btw

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Only downside is those cabins lack enough privacy for loving

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

zegermans posted:

How about a trip from Beijing to Shanghai at a whisper-quiet 150KPH while you sleep in your own personal capsule hotel, costs like $40 btw

when i see a picture like this i hear war drums in my head thinking of all the things Big Oil and related industries did to pave over every square inch of America

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Only downside is those cabins lack enough privacy for loving

they have magnetically sealing curtains

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

when i see a picture like this i hear war drums in my head thinking of all the things Big Oil and related industries did to pave over every square inch of America

Ride, you fools!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol because of that article I looked it up and my tiny, high-efficiency Honda Fit has 130 goddamn horsepower. What the hell

lol same

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

zegermans posted:

that's me in the lego shirt

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zegermans posted:

Very clever design with the alternating beds

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

zegermans posted:

a lot of acceleration is needed to merge onto the interstate because they were designed for 55MPH cars in the 1960s and now everyone goes 80

wow, it's almost as if this is what the article is about - cars all getting faster

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

soon people will be siphoning newly-precious gas from street parked cars. let the beasts starve, I say.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

wow, it's almost as if this is what the article is about - cars all getting faster

I guess what I meant was even those of us that aren't insane speed freaks are kinda forced into it for our own safety.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Poor people in LA ride the Metro. I rode it for years! It's a good Metro, if underfunded, and seemingly some of the cheapest public transit in the nation.

Yes I know I rode it too.

"No one" was hyperbole not literal. Millions of people ride NYC transit, not the same for LA.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Just gonna head from Vienna for a day in Zurich, leave at 9:30PM, arrive 8:20AM. $160 for yourself, $104/ea if you split it with a buddy/spouse

free breakfast and personal shower btw

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
oh hey I'm just going to bike from Passau to Budapest on a continuous bike trail along a wide beautiful river, nbd

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karach posted:

oh hey I'm just going to bike from Passau to Budapest on a continuous bike trail along a wide beautiful river, nbd

how easy is it to peddle to the tune of a waltz

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Save us Xi

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
i have always and will continue to bang the drum for affordable sleeper-train transit. spending all day going to the airport, getting onto the airplane, flying, getting off the airplane, and leaving the airport sucks rear end. getting on your train, having a lovely sleep, having breakfast, and then getting off at your destination with a whole day ahead of you is amazing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Karach posted:

I'm gonna do a trip like this one day. There's another one in Japan that looks nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cool av posted:

soon people will be siphoning newly-precious gas from street parked cars. let the beasts starve, I say.

That was solved by car manufacturers in like 70's 80's. Siphoning gas from a car is pretty difficult now because of the tank designs. That said in the mad max world we are careening towards, it'll be much easier/faster to just drill a hole in the gas tank and catch it with a shallow container.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm gonna do a trip like this one day. There's another one in Japan that looks nice.

did a bike trip from Vienna to Regensburg, hopped the train to Nuremburg Cologne, and then continued on to Antwerp.

what an insanely beautiful trip. camped along the way, tried to cover about 100 km a day.

what's the Japan one?

edit: dumb memory

Karach has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Mar 4, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i have always and will continue to bang the drum for affordable sleeper-train transit. spending all day going to the airport, getting onto the airplane, flying, getting off the airplane, and leaving the airport sucks rear end. getting on your train, having a lovely sleep, having breakfast, and then getting off at your destination with a whole day ahead of you is amazing.

Another huge advantage for train travel. Whatever destination city you end up in, you'll be in the middle of the remnants of the down-town core which means that even if you have to take a taxi at that point you'll be probably 20min away from wherever you are going at worst. It owns.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Karach posted:

what's the Japan one?

Shimanami Kaido. But looking at it now, it's not nearly as long as those. 70km

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Lufthansa is offering a non-stop St. Louis -> Frankfurt flight starting in June, and I looked into visiting my sister in Linz. Turns out it's faster, cheaper, and easier to just take the flight, then take an ICE from the airport straight to Linz.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

zegermans posted:

Save us Xi

Xi Jinping Thought is Supreme

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ArmZ posted:

Xi Jinping Thought is Supreme

also going 300kph

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Another huge advantage for train travel. Whatever destination city you end up in, you'll be in the middle of the remnants of the down-town core which means that even if you have to take a taxi at that point you'll be probably 20min away from wherever you are going at worst. It owns.

Trains just absolutely stomp and the USA's attachment to air travel over train travel is a mind-inverting malignant stupidity

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
A lot of the local advocacy organizations were touting NJ's Safe Passing Law going into effect this week, but it's hard for me to get excited when no laws are enforced against drivers anyway.

https://twitter.com/njstreetsmart/status/1498659798631464972

Everywhere I've seen this news posted on twitter or facebook, the first reply/comment is "actually cyclists need to be (licensed/hi-viz/off the road/etc.) and I should bear no responsibility for operating heavy machinery"

car bad

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

One of the best things about trains to my mind is that they can realistically be powered by fully renewable energy sources, while at this point nothing but the tiniest planes for the shortest distances can be.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Blackhawk posted:

One of the best things about trains to my mind is that they can realistically be powered by fully renewable energy sources, while at this point nothing but the tiniest planes for the shortest distances can be.

Eh, depending on how you define "renewable" planes could eventually be powered by bio-fuels, so in the perfect high-tech green future, air travel still has a place. Today its absolutely easier for trains to be powered via renewables though.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Eh, depending on how you define "renewable" planes could eventually be powered by bio-fuels, so in the perfect high-tech green future, air travel still has a place. Today its absolutely easier for trains to be powered via renewables though.

no, this stinks!!!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

pmcTRILOGY posted:

A lot of the local advocacy organizations were touting NJ's Safe Passing Law going into effect this week, but it's hard for me to get excited when no laws are enforced against drivers anyway.

https://twitter.com/njstreetsmart/status/1498659798631464972

Everywhere I've seen this news posted on twitter or facebook, the first reply/comment is "actually cyclists need to be (licensed/hi-viz/off the road/etc.) and I should bear no responsibility for operating heavy machinery"

car bad

italians need to learn to read first before any signage can work

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

zegermans posted:

italians need to learn to read first before any signage can work

i a-smush-a the cyclist-a, eyyy! gotta wipe-a the viscera off-a my window, eyyy! who wants a free-a baby helmet, barely a-dented, eyyy!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

zegermans posted:

More train posts

Different country but also an Intercity Express, my favourite is this one which is bisexual colours and has the word trans on it:

But all Intercity trains are good trains.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Karach posted:

I did this from Budapest to Linz and it was indeed amazing

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2101084119

quote:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) specifies the use of biofuels in the United States and thereby guides nearly half of all global biofuel production, yet outcomes of this keystone climate and environmental regulation remain unclear. Here we combine econometric analyses, land use observations, and biophysical models to estimate the realized effects of the RFS in aggregate and down to the scale of individual agricultural fields across the United States. We find that the RFS increased corn prices by 30% and the prices of other crops by 20%, which, in turn, expanded US corn cultivation by 2.8 Mha (8.7%) and total cropland by 2.1 Mha (2.4%) in the years following policy enactment (2008 to 2016). These changes increased annual nationwide fertilizer use by 3 to 8%, increased water quality degradants by 3 to 5%, and caused enough domestic land use change emissions such that the carbon intensity of corn ethanol produced under the RFS is no less than gasoline and likely at least 24% higher. These tradeoffs must be weighed alongside the benefits of biofuels as decision-makers consider the future of renewable energy policies and the potential for fuels like corn ethanol to meet climate mitigation goals.

I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised by this study.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

God Hole posted:

I did this from Budapest to Linz and it was indeed amazing

I wanted to take my wife back and do a more relaxed pace and actually do tourist poo poo instead of blasting through everything as fast as possible. But, uh, that was before operation impending doom 3 was launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/AutoblogGreen/status/1499754034923819009?t=FuQZ7-SKfjbj4PDzwZxvsA&s=19