Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah just got governor for the first time myself. The governor slots feel pretty useless for me right now. Maybe the spy and merc thing if I were actively playing at war? But crates and whatnot, like if I see a resource capped I click it, ctrl shift build as many crates/contianers as it will do, then assign them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
As changing Governors costs plasmids be careful which you choose per run.

MAD-tier Governors: Sports to counteract stress and keeping morale multiplier high if knowledge cap isn't needed; Educator if knowledge cap is a problem; or Soldier for faster combat if the morale production isn't needed.

Bioseed-tier: Educator again becomes useful for the ballooning knowledge requirements; Media to counter stress until you pick up Content from Genetics and a lesser amount of knowledge; Noble for more citizens which can become scarce; and Spiritualist for the factory production.

BH+: Criminal as CCR starts becoming very powerful at this point and only gets stronger while money quickly becomes a non-issue. Soldier maybe as a backup for early Hell if you're losing people too fast.

In the end the various boosts aren't too strong except for the earliest game and by the time you're regularly doing Blackholes and up you'll just automatically run Criminal forever.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 1, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sibling of TB posted:

Yeah just got governor for the first time myself. The governor slots feel pretty useless for me right now. Maybe the spy and merc thing if I were actively playing at war? But crates and whatnot, like if I see a resource capped I click it, ctrl shift build as many crates/contianers as it will do, then assign them all.

The spy thing is pretty big, being able to leave the game idle for a while and come back to all other countries at maximum unrest and influence & being able to annex them is really handy. Auto-optimizing tax/morale balance is nice too, and while I usually build the containers manually having the game automatically distribute them is sweet

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Rynoto posted:

As changing Governors costs plasmids be careful which you choose per run.

MAD-tier Governors: Sports to counteract stress and keeping morale multiplier high if knowledge cap isn't needed; Educator if knowledge cap is a problem; or Soldier for faster combat if the morale production isn't needed.

Bioseed-tier: Educator again becomes useful for the ballooning knowledge requirements; Media to counter stress until you pick up Content from Genetics and a lesser amount of knowledge; Noble for more citizens which can become scarce; and Spiritualist for the factory production.

BH+: Criminal as CCR starts becoming very powerful at this point and only gets stronger while money quickly becomes a non-issue. Soldier maybe as a backup for early Hell if you're losing people too fast.

In the end the various boosts aren't too strong except for the earliest game and by the time you're regularly doing Blackholes and up you'll just automatically run Criminal forever.
The cost scaling effect is particularly strong on non-junk gene ascension runs bringing the thermal collector cost scaling from 1.03 -> 1.025 (huge bump, especially when combined with a secondary cost scaling reduction)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Huh, and here I've been running Noble to try mitigate Andromeda fleets sucking up all my population. Perhaps I should give Criminal a try next time?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jabor posted:

Huh, and here I've been running Noble to try mitigate Andromeda fleets sucking up all my population. Perhaps I should give Criminal a try next time?

If you're in Andromeda you should be getting a good fraction of your population from the red planet and CCR helps spam more of them. This then stacks with more Ziggurats which benefit from more population and so on. CCR is really the best thing you can get.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 2, 2022

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fair enough, I'll have to give Criminal another shot then.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Fair enough, I'll have to give Criminal another shot then.
If you're going deep space, I'd recommend starting off Sports & switching to criminal for the final push; the morale goes a long way, and the reduction in surveyor deaths & recovery is sweet.

e: tried switching to criminal & the morale hit sucked rear end. maybe just sports all the way lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Morale eventually becomes an insignificant source of bonus production next to faith and mastery while CCR is self-feeding to the point that enough harmony crystals and other stacked CCR can let you grow the cap faster than the cost of the buildings to raise the cap which just ends with production being the sole limiter. This is also how you get into the 500%+ morale range.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 2, 2022

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Just started playing evolve recently and I ended up getting centaurs as my third race and they're absolutely miserable. The horseshoes are just so expensive and its just incredibly unfun to deal with.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Lilli posted:

Just started playing evolve recently and I ended up getting centaurs as my third race and they're absolutely miserable. The horseshoes are just so expensive and its just incredibly unfun to deal with.

You can Soft Reset in the Settings to go back to the primordial ooze for a different race, I think, if you're not feeling it. You won't get any plasmids but it might be worth it if you're hating the run this much.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

You can Soft Reset in the Settings to go back to the primordial ooze for a different race, I think, if you're not feeling it. You won't get any plasmids but it might be worth it if you're hating the run this much.

Thank you, this is good to know. Im close enough to MAD at this point that Im just going to wait it out, but Ill definitely keep that in mind if I come across another one that I find really unfun.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The nice thing about going through different races for MAD achievements is that you get a feel for which you like and dislike, and which are particularly good or bad at something. You're far from alone in finding centaurs (or rather, horseshoes) to be annoying, particularly in the context of MAD; in later resets they're not really a limiting factor on your population.

The other nice thing is that once you've got your achievement for a given race, you don't have to play that race again unless a. you want to upgrade the achievement somehow, or b. you want to use them to set up an inherited ability from fanaticism / deify. (And centaur's inherited ability is kinda ... eh, so you're not at great risk of needing to play them again for that purpose.)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The only inherited traits you'll ever want are from Ents (Kindling Kindred), Gnome (Smart), Human (Creative), Balorg (Fiery), and Custom (Slaver). Balorg requires hellscape so won't be used too much until after Shadow War is upgraded and Gnome is only useful early for the 10% knowledge cost reduction. Customs are post-ascension. So if you're doing your first BH-or-above until you get those it'll likely be Ent-Gnome-Human or Ent-Human-ChosenRace for efficiency.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Anyone who's been waiting on more Increlution, the next 3 chapters just dropped

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Are there any hot new browser-based idlers that have dropped lately? Steam is a non-starter for me.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

E: whoops

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Klungar posted:

Are there any hot new browser-based idlers that have dropped lately? Steam is a non-starter for me.

FarmRPG has stuck with me if you haven't given it a shot. Starts off very manual, progression unlocks mechanics that 1) let you do said manual work in batches and 2) provide resource generators for every 10m/hr/day and generate more as you invest in them. It's pretty straightforward, but I like it for that. The dev updates and adds features at a reasonable clip too - a few weeks ago they gave all players the ability to plant/harvest crops with a single button (previously a premium currency upgrade, which is given out at a decent rate via achievements) citing polling that it was the biggest barrier to retention. They also recently implemented explicit dailies, where both completing individual and doing a certain threshold in a month give a relevant secondary currency for the mid-late game.

It's also simple enough that if you don't like what you see after a couple hours of play, you can drop it - not that you've seen everything, but again the game is pretty straightforward.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

The only inherited traits you'll ever want are from Ents (Kindling Kindred), Gnome (Smart), Human (Creative), Balorg (Fiery), and Custom (Slaver). Balorg requires hellscape so won't be used too much until after Shadow War is upgraded and Gnome is only useful early for the 10% knowledge cost reduction. Customs are post-ascension. So if you're doing your first BH-or-above until you get those it'll likely be Ent-Gnome-Human or Ent-Human-ChosenRace for efficiency.

Did Hivemind from the Antid stop being a good one to use with Ents (and vice versa)? I remember way back when that those two used to be the recommended pair for faster runs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

Did Hivemind from the Antid stop being a good one to use with Ents (and vice versa)? I remember way back when that those two used to be the recommended pair for faster runs.

They used to be okay before later tiers were added as Hivemind only scales early jobs. They stop being useful early BH which is when Creative starts becoming good for new(er) players to help ARPA while Ent is just always good. Ent-Human-Ant would still work fine, though, especially with the new trait that gives them significantly more but weaker pop.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Been feeling the idle game itch again. What's cool and good lately?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Jade Rider posted:

Been feeling the idle game itch again. What's cool and good lately?
orb of creation was updated for Patreons; it's a biiiiiiiiiig one, game moves a lot faster, lots of new mechanics & a changed up early game. i like it a lot so far

it'll be coming out on Steam March 30th, but if you want in early:

https://www.patreon.com/marplegames

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

crime weed posted:

orb of creation was updated for Patreons; it's a biiiiiiiiiig one, game moves a lot faster, lots of new mechanics & a changed up early game. i like it a lot so far

it'll be coming out on Steam March 30th, but if you want in early:

https://www.patreon.com/marplegames

Is the early game less fiddly? The last update made it way more so than I remember early builds and it turned me off of it

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is the early game less fiddly? The last update made it way more so than I remember early builds and it turned me off of it
the interface has definitely been improved --- you can preview the spells to learn, and it tells you the requirements. wording of effects also feels more clear. leveling up spells is a little more clear too

the early game is also faster (i think?) and more idling options open up sooner

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It's definitely been polished, but holy hell are there a lot of different screens. Is there a button to cycle through them that I'm too dumb to have noticed?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Thirst Mutilator posted:

FarmRPG has stuck with me if you haven't given it a shot. Starts off very manual, progression unlocks mechanics that 1) let you do said manual work in batches and 2) provide resource generators for every 10m/hr/day and generate more as you invest in them. It's pretty straightforward, but I like it for that. The dev updates and adds features at a reasonable clip too - a few weeks ago they gave all players the ability to plant/harvest crops with a single button (previously a premium currency upgrade, which is given out at a decent rate via achievements) citing polling that it was the biggest barrier to retention. They also recently implemented explicit dailies, where both completing individual and doing a certain threshold in a month give a relevant secondary currency for the mid-late game.

It's also simple enough that if you don't like what you see after a couple hours of play, you can drop it - not that you've seen everything, but again the game is pretty straightforward.

I decided to dabble in this, do you have any particular pointers or beginners tips? Especially what to buy with gold first and where to spend your perks?
Also I got a ton of stuff exploring, not sure what's safe to sell and what is rare and required later on?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Oenis posted:

I decided to dabble in this, do you have any particular pointers or beginners tips? Especially what to buy with gold first and where to spend your perks?
Also I got a ton of stuff exploring, not sure what's safe to sell and what is rare and required later on?

If you use the Library feature in game, there are Perk/Gold Upgrade tier lists available, as well as general progression tips. I’m only on Day 2 but it seems to be going well so far.

I would not sell anything you get from Exploring, but rather use those mats to fuel your Crafting. Iron Cups are a good early item to grind from both an XP and Silver sale cost perspective.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
There is a robust ingame wiki, browse around in that.

The sawmill silver guide is spot on, do what it says!
Before you get your sturdy shield engine going all your resources should be put into making that happen.

Fishing is either manual or with nets.

Manual fishing is just 1 fish at a time but builds fishing streak and is also the only source of gold fish (needed for a few help requests) (a new bait has just been added to the game that lets you semi-auto manual fishing)

Fishing with nets catches a ton of fish at once but does not build fish streak nor lets you fins gold fish.

Fish streak does nothing but five you bragging rights.

Manual fishing is a loving nightmare for me (physically painful) but i do just fine without it. Im currently at 90ish farm/craft, 68 explore and 55 fish.

Explore is a bit slow in the beginning but once your orchard is vomiting out plenty of fruit every day and glass orbs is no longer a glass bottle bottleneck you spend 10 to 100s of thousands of stamina every day.

Farming is only really important in the beginning, later on money is primarily from crafting. In mid to late game farming is for getting runestones and gold crops and filling help requests. The money from crops is negligible.
The main way to level farming is buying farm upgrades, not harvesting crops.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Ineptitude posted:

Fish streak does nothing but five you bragging rights.

I wouldn't know unless I checked the in-game help, but streak does give bonus fishing exp- but it's +0.1% per streak, capping at +100% from 1k streak. There's also a few achievements (which give gold) for reaching streaks, but manual fishing is pretty monotonous yeah.

Since getting the orchard becomes your main source of stamina, using all your apples and orange juice to get there faster is fine I assume? I haven't be able to play actively enough to reach the sawmill yet, exploration items (stone) are bottlenecking my crafting exp.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yes eat all the apples and drink all the OJ (and lemonade).

You will eventually get 1300 (trees) x 1,3 (perks and supply) of each fruit every day

Later on you transition into using apples for cider however this slows progress though lets you spend less time on exploring.
(each cider costs 600 stamina and consumes 1000 when used, though does not GIVE any stamina)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Once you hit farming level 20, the Post Office in town opens up a Password system, where if you enter various key phrases hidden throughout the game, you can unlock various rewards. All the passwords are located in the library if you just want to spoil yourself, tons of silver and gold rewards in there to help buy a bunch of upgrades.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally maxed out Laser Sword Challenge in NGU :toot:

Also ran No Rebirth up to 9/10 and did two more runs each of Blind and No TM. Let the record show that Blind is the worst challenge. I'd rather do Troll again (and I probably will soon to get the Gold Beard).

At this point I think my next step is just to spend ages grinding out more PP/QP/guffins/etc to get to the point where I can loot the Chocolate World?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Evolve:
It took far longer than expected but it's finally done :shepicide:

The Slime Lord feat is absolutely not worth it, although sludge do have a pillar.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
As for me I finally got True Path extinct through AI drift and it's now time to explore what that unlocked!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Right! I've been doing MADs with the occasional Bioseed sprinkled in. I've got a bunch of stuff from CRISPR now. Namely:

The first two ranks of Creep perks
Storage perks up to Spatial Supremacy
Enhanced Muscle Fiber
Morphogenesis and Recombination from the Evolve line
All the Synthesis and Plasmid perks for easier mutation
Replication (stuck on a Toxic planet, figured it was a good time to get it)
All the Crafty perks
The queue and Governor perks
The challenge and Mastery-unlocking perks
Ancients

I also have 15.25% Mastery right now. So, my question now is "is it a good time to unlock Priests and Faith, or should I pop for the third cost creep perk instead?" ...Assuming the minor trait perks aren't also worth it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I also have 15.25% Mastery right now. So, my question now is "is it a good time to unlock Priests and Faith, or should I pop for the third cost creep perk instead?" ...Assuming the minor trait perks aren't also worth it.

So the CCR you get from crispr is a bit of a letdown if you plan to do 3*+ ever as Junk Gene reduces its effect to 1/5th. You'll still want them eventually but the plasmids are better spent elsewhere, for now. Based off your list I'd save for the last storage upgrade then stockpile ~2k plasmids (if you plan to go antimatter) while doing 3* mastery farming and blackholing out. Priests aren't worth it until much later when Theocracy becomes viable and population cap isn't an issue.

You'll eventually want one phage point in all the minor perks but the only ones that matter right now are Tactical and Content as mandatory, then Ambidextrous as a good-to-have. The arpa perks that give minors are only worth the first few cheap upgrades early on.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 6, 2022

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
NGU questions:
I'm nearing the end of Evil difficulty. I can idle easy Exile and I got the special armor currently building in my Daycare, and I've passed most of the challenges. I still have 2 more 24 hour challenges to beat and I'm pretty sure I can do those, it would just take time. I know I still have to go through the Rad Lands, but at what point should I go to Sadistic? Should I clean up most of the Perks and Quest buffs? Do I get a majority of the Wishes? I just want to know how much to crank out before I even think about going to Sadistic.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

NGU questions:
I'm nearing the end of Evil difficulty. I can idle easy Exile and I got the special armor currently building in my Daycare, and I've passed most of the challenges. I still have 2 more 24 hour challenges to beat and I'm pretty sure I can do those, it would just take time. I know I still have to go through the Rad Lands, but at what point should I go to Sadistic? Should I clean up most of the Perks and Quest buffs? Do I get a majority of the Wishes? I just want to know how much to crank out before I even think about going to Sadistic.

There’s nothing keeping you from dropping a save and just trying it out. Sadistic can start slowly, but you can also just load up that save and run with it still in evil. Should only take an hour or two to figure out if you want to start sadistic. I don’t recall which order I did it in, but it doesn’t really matter the order, it just matters how much your E/M will get you moving or not.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Rynoto posted:

So the CCR you get from crispr is a bit of a letdown if you plan to do 3*+ ever as Junk Gene reduces its effect to 1/5th. You'll still want them eventually but the plasmids are better spent elsewhere, for now. Based off your list I'd save for the last storage upgrade then stockpile ~2k plasmids (if you plan to go antimatter) while doing 3* mastery farming and blackholing out. Priests aren't worth it until much later when Theocracy becomes viable and population cap isn't an issue.

You'll eventually want one phage point in all the minor perks but the only ones that matter right now are Tactical and Content as mandatory, then Ambidextrous as a good-to-have. The arpa perks that give minors are only worth the first few cheap upgrades early on.

Blackholing out? Is it time to go for that? I've only accomplished MAD with 16 out of 25 races needed for Mass Extinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

CannonFodder posted:

NGU questions:

iirc the wisdom of the time was if you can get gear from the first zone, go to sad. If for some reason you're done with *literally* everything evil you can go too, but there's not much point in tanking your ngus/other stuff if you get no benefit. also don't worry about 24hr challenges, they're awful and i finished the last one like 3/4 of the way through sad after i went back. also: the sad -> evil ngu quirk isn't super useful because you'll probably pingpong between evil ngus capped and sad ngus barely moving.