Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh yeah lets just escalate this further into a shooting war rather than give aid thats working just fine for no real gain because you feel bad. We're (assuming you're American) really the best country to take the moral high ground on "don't invade sovereign nations and bomb civilians with no reason." You know they're taking foreign volunteers if it's so hard to directly sit it out and so eager?

There comes a point where showing the hand and risking nuclear war is preferable to allowing the rise of a global fascist threat. We're nowhere there yet, but risking annihilation is preferable to letting them sit in silos until we're licking boots for generations to come. With them taking nibbles out of eastern Europe they're threatening that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Hajotus Maximus posted:

This is accurate, at least for FDF. Especially this part hit home:
"were taught that the only truly mortal sin was to hesitate. To seize the initiative and act was the primary imperative."
Taking the initiative was loving hammered in, at least for the platoon leaders.

This jives from my experience with the Swedish military (though I did my service in the early 90s so ymmv :corsair:). We used to joke about the fact that we had a pretty good idea of which Spetznaz units were assigned to particular areas and how long we would last, but ultimately the entire thing was measured in minutes and designed to buy NATO time. Yay Cold War doctrine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In better news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsIMfTEUjs

"Press Conference with IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi"

Summary by Sahil Shah posted:

• Overnight, projectile from Russian forces (no details on what kind it is) hit a building within the plant site – the building is a training construction/facility adjacent to the reactor – this caused a fire that was extinguished – important to say that all the safety systems of the six reactors at the plant were not affected at all – and there has been no release of radioactive material (radiation monitoring systems are fully functional as well)
  • The operator and the regulator have been telling IAEA that the situation naturally continues to be tense and challenging because of the circumstances
  • Of the plant reactor units, of all the units there, there is only one that is operating at around 60% of capacity (unit 1 was out for maintenance, 2/3 are in safety control shutdown, 4 is active, and 5/6 were already being held in reserve and operating in low power mode)
  • Two people have been injured -- they are not operators or technical people -- but part of the security personnel
  • The IAEA continues to be in contact with the operators and are following the situation closely
  • Yesterday was a special session of Board of Governors on Ukraine and the DG indicated apart from the general exhalations and reminders of the principle of never attacking nuclear facilities, a reminder of a number of clear points that must never be compromised to ensure safety and security: 1. physical integrity of the facility, whether it is a reactor, fuel pond, radioactive waste storage, everything; 2. all safety and security systems must be maintained; 3. staff need to be able to fulfil their activities normally; 4. there should be at all times offsite power (electricity) so that it is able to continue running normally; 5. the supply chain that must always be available in case there needs to be spare parts; 6. radiation monitoring needed to be preserved; 7. communication must continue
  • The DG has offered to travel to Chernobyl to set up a framework for agreement on the safety and security of the nuclear power plants in Ukraine
  • There are glitches at Chernobyl in terms of the radiation monitoring systems but nothing that is worrisome

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

In better news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsIMfTEUjs

"Press Conference with IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi"

Yeah if there's anything that needs to be negotiated with the Russians, its getting them to agree to stay the gently caress away from Nuclear Plants with combat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Some Good Dogs in that article.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

The one on the left is a Blackbeard flag*, slightly modified. Yes, that Blackbeard. Scourge of the Royal Navy, wove cannon fuse through his beard, cutlass-wielding Blackbeard. Murdered in 1718 off of Ocracoke Island by a British Royal Navy LT.

*this is the pop culture idea of his flag going back a century. No known records exist, aside from someone remembering a story passed down through the family that went something like “a horned skeleton giving cheers, while stabbing a bleeding heart”.

No known chud context that I’m aware of, at least for the original. They’re common on the NC coast, where Blackbeard was known to have lived/operated.

e: the one in that pic had the drink held up in cheers replaced with an AK. Original is this:

So yeah there is actually some chud context here. You guys all remember Eddie Gallagher and his bullshit, right? Anyways, there exists within the SEALs an ideological divide in which a bunch of them consider themselves "pirates" in that they feel and act more lawless, more willing to take risks, and more hard charging than regular SEALs (Yes I know how :rolleyes: that sounds) . I know a couple of you read Alpha about the whole Eddie Gallagher trial, but they specifically talk about how that group of SEALs uses Blackbeard's flag as their unofficial flag, and conversely, how it has caused all sorts of headaches for NSW command. They are also conversely loaded with chuds (no poo poo).

So it's not quite a maga flag, and it's not quite a "Scout Sniper" flag either, but it sure as gently caress ain't a great sign either.

So be prepared for these idiots to either do some war criming or get killed in the most spectacularly dumb and needless way possible if Gallagher's exploits before he murdered that detainee are anything to go off of.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Can we just disband and rehabilitate all the active duty SEALS already? They need to be de-programed and reintegrated into society and kept away from sharp objects for the rest of their lives.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Can we just disband and rehabilitate all the active duty SEALS already? They need to be de-programed and reintegrated into society and kept away from sharp objects for the rest of their lives.

Put them through the psychs that do the psych test for the Green Berets and you'll weed out 70-90% of the sociopaths.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Put them through the psychs that do the psych test for the Green Berets and you'll weed out 70-90% of the sociopaths.

Your reminder that dan bilzerian failed seal psych

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Xakura posted:

You're telling me the guy who dresses like he's a member of an improv troup pretending that he's a cowboy, and asked Las Vegas PD to give him one of their rifles when the Las Vegas shooting was happening so he could shoot back from the ground, failed his seal psych exam? :monocle:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I’m intrigued by this, can you tell me more about this?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Spoggerific posted:

Doctrine purist, structure neutral.

We talkin technicals or tanks here

Xakura posted:

No, word is he was set up to fail/pushed out by instructors because enough of them realized he was bad news, which is relatively rare and not really an “official” process unlike army SF or most selections. It was a different community that wasn’t quite as cowboyish. I’d bet if he went 5 or more years later he’d fit in much better.

All the psych evals happen way before BUD/S even starts, he was booted out either at the end of third phase or early in SQT or whatever it was called then. He’s still very bitter about it lol.

Then because he had small stress fractures on his shin (almost everyone does if they stay long enough since you’re running about 20 miles a day) he just kept running while in holding while telling staff he was resting to prevent it from healing fully so he got a medical discharge. That last bit is the only thing I kinda respect about him I was dumb enough to “man up and finish my contract” and go to a deck department so I could experience severe almost crippling depression.

But yeah even team guys met Dan and we’re like “oh this guy is a loving psycho”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499644729276960772?s=20&t=DvjA2TiFYNPrp-4myO88JQ

gently caress.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

M_Gargantua posted:

There comes a point where showing the hand and risking nuclear war is preferable to allowing the rise of a global fascist threat. We're nowhere there yet, but risking annihilation is preferable to letting them sit in silos until we're licking boots for generations to come. With them taking nibbles out of eastern Europe they're threatening that.

There’s navigating a complex geopolitical situation and potentially irrational world leader and there’s calling for a shooting war for the sake of vibes and the guy I was responding so was doing the latter.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I trust everyone who wants to see escalation will, if it happens, roger up for their nations armed forces and not have some cool reasons why people other than them need to die

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hopefully the new thread title will help.

Please stop dropping by to tell us that Azov are nazis, we know that. Nobody here has positive opinions of Azov. If you spot someone expressing a positive opinion of Azov, please let me know.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

maffew buildings posted:

I trust everyone who wants to see escalation will, if it happens, roger up for their nations armed forces and not have some cool reasons why people other than them need to die
It sounds kind of corny, but when I was a brand new private one of the first things my PSG told me was "I will never ask you to do anything that I have not done or would not be willing to do myself." It's not a novel concept and he's far from the only person to express this, and I wish more folks would take this to heart. Skin in the game changes everything (and volunteering someone else's skin is kind of lovely).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A totally normal reaction to hearing gunfire nearby...

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’m intrigued by this, can you tell me more about this?

Green Berets are in the news for war crimes, drug dealing, regular crimes and illegal killings significantly less than SEALs are. There still are plenty of examples, it's just way less than SEALs.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 4, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Seekhay posted:

This jives from my experience with the Swedish military (though I did my service in the early 90s so ymmv :corsair:). We used to joke about the fact that we had a pretty good idea of which Spetznaz units were assigned to particular areas and how long we would last, but ultimately the entire thing was measured in minutes and designed to buy NATO time. Yay Cold War doctrine.

Oh yeah the podcast The Unconventional Soldier is by two British veterans who were artillery spotters who would be stay behinds in West Germany in areas that were expected to be overrun, where they would hide and call in precise strikes. They noted that in their extensive training there wasn't much about how after the Soviets had progressed too far for them to remain in that area to be useful how they were going to travel back to NATO lines and later realized oh we'd be assumed to be captured by that point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Green Berets are in the news for war crimes, drug dealing, regular crimes and illegal killings significantly less than SEALs are.

Oh I know I meant more about the evaluation itself and what they look for and ask.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh I know I meant more about the evaluation itself and what they look for and ask.

Oh, sorry. I don't have any inkling as to how it's different - it's just that they seem to be able to weed out psychos slightly better.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It was a standard battery of tests such as the MMPI. Beyond that once it starts there’s no/few process, evaluations or boards like there is at SFAS unless you fail evolutions or particularly stand out to the instructors in a bad way.

McNally posted:

Hopefully the new thread title will help.

Please stop dropping by to tell us that Azov are nazis, we know that. Nobody here has positive opinions of Azov. If you spot someone expressing a positive opinion of Azov, please let me know.

It’s kinda weird to me that the reaction to finding out the (admittedly funny without context) post was staged by Azov guys wasn’t “oh dang good to know” but instead “WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT AZOV IS” (so why did you post or empty quote it?)

It’s be pretty weird if every time the Wagner group was mentioned if someone kept going on about how everyone already knows about them so you must be a CIA agent and shut up about it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s kinda weird to me that the reaction to finding out the (admittedly funny without context) post was staged by Azov guys wasn’t “oh dang good to know” but instead “WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT AZOV IS” (so why did you post or empty quote it?)

It’s be pretty weird if every time the Wagner group was mentioned if someone kept going on about how everyone already knows about them so you must be a CIA agent and shut up about it.

Possibly because it had already been brought up by that point.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, sorry. I don't have any inkling as to how it's different - it's just that they seem to be able to weed out psychos slightly better.

Aren’t their missions different too?

SEALs - kill people

Green Berets - make friend with and train locals (to kill people)

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

bees everywhere posted:

Imo NATO shouldn't intervene but there's nothing to stop them from doing their own troop exercises on Russia's border right now. Make Putin divert resources to prepare for a US invasion that never comes.

Cold Response 22

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The fact that you think this is weird says a lot more about you than it does about anyone else. Like, it had already been brought up multiple times. It's also been brought up in other areas as a way to say that, no it's actually really good that russia is invading and killing a bunch of people. And people do that by doing exactly what the poster you are so breathlessly defending do. Which is why everyone finds it so annoying.

Basically it isn't weird if you've been even slightly paying attention.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Everyone must match my level of outrage

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1499777532438224899

I've seen three different tail numbers on downed Russian SU-25s today: 04 White, 08 Red, and now 07 White.

Among many other things, I can't say that I would want to be piloting low and slow attack planes in contested airspace.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CainFortea posted:

The fact that you think this is weird says a lot more about you than it does about anyone else. Like, it had already been brought up multiple times. It's also been brought up in other areas as a way to say that, no it's actually really good that russia is invading and killing a bunch of people. And people do that by doing exactly what the poster you are so breathlessly defending do. Which is why everyone finds it so annoying.

Basically it isn't weird if you've been even slightly paying attention.

It’s very weird to post a random Azov propaganda image and be like “oh that’s rad” but what do I know.

The idea that calling it out somehow enables Russia is laughable. If anything not separating support of the Ukrainian people from support of fascist ethnic militias is exactly what Russia has been doing.

Also who has actually said that what Russia doing is good, please quote the post.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

please quote the post.

I did. Literally. In this very thread. Which is why this whole thing is annoying.

COINCEL PRO
Mar 18, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s very weird to post a random Azov propaganda image and be like “oh that’s rad” but what do I know.

The idea that calling it out somehow enables Russia is laughable. If anything not separating support of the Ukrainian people from support of fascist ethnic militias is exactly what Russia has been doing.

Also who has actually said that what Russia doing is good, please quote the post.

Can we get a Final Solution on this kind of posting?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Generation Internet posted:

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1499777532438224899

I've seen three different tail numbers on downed Russian SU-25s today: 04 White, 08 Red, and now 07 White.

Among many other things, I can't say that I would want to be piloting low and slow attack planes in contested airspace.

If someone bags a Yellow 13, I'll need to dig out my Ace Combat 4 disc.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CainFortea posted:

I did. Literally. In this very thread. Which is why this whole thing is annoying.

The idea that you can’t talk about a military unit in a thread about a war that unit plays a role in because it makes the better side look bad is ridiculous anyway, but are you actually referring to anything or just trying to make a joke that you quoted me because I sure don’t see it in this thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
e;fb

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also to be semantic it was Ukranian propaganda that happened to be produced by Azov.

Them being Nazi's doesn't make the concept of recreating the famous painting any less good, just smears poo poo over the product.

Wait till you see all the US military propaganda videos that were also made by nazi and nazi adjacent folk

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Also to be semantic it was Ukranian propaganda that happened to be produced by Azov.

Them being Nazi's doesn't make the concept of recreating the famous painting any less good, just smears poo poo over the product.

Wait till you see all the US military propaganda videos that were also made by nazi and nazi adjacent folk

I mean we still drive Fords don't we.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

As Nero Danced posted:

If someone bags a Yellow 13, I'll need to dig out my Ace Combat 4 disc.

Over simplified question but are SU-25s roughly equivalent in their role to A-10s?

Yeah Ace Combat 4 owned, pretty much the epitome of a successful Blockbuster rental. I tried playing 7 and got bored, hard to have any stake in the story when it's silly enough that prisoners are given armed aircraft to fight off air raids. I don't know of any penal battalion that would be provided supersonic escape vehicles.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Over simplified question but are SU-25s roughly equivalent in their role to A-10s?

Over simplified answer: yeah

Main actual difference: A-10s have gained a bunch of weapons over the years to keep them outside of cannon range to make them a bit more survivable; SU-25s less so. Also SU-25s aren't slow as molasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Looks like Russia finally won a tank battle.

with itself.

https://twitter.com/AVindman/status/1499753688478494721?s=20&t=1E4FpgJRT_7oeQA9YEtJeg