Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Went to https://zenrus.ru/ to see if it updated.

124 RUB to 1 USD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TheRat posted:

I did read the entire conversation, so I ask again. What's Grozny got to do with Ukranians? Nobody ever accused them of shooting their own

Grozny fake humanitarian corridors won't happen in Ukraine because of Russian virtue, I think

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

Concerned Citizen posted:

well, the russians didn't need to justify their activities in chechnya. they committed many well-documented war crimes. the chechens, who were radical islamists, were also known to commit war crimes and use hostages. they were not good dudes fighting for their freedom against a tyrannical russian government, they were bad dudes fighting to maintain a far-right and brutal theocracy against other bad dudes. it would not be surprising at all for the chechen militants to not want people to use the corridor, whereas russia would very much want people to use the corridor because it makes it far easier to level the city without civilians running around.

When has Russia ever cared about whether there are civilian casualties or not? I don't disagree that Chechen militants were bad, and they very well could have done it. But if you're the Russian government, fighting in an area where there are people that are pro-Russian, pro-Chechen insurgents, and then those who are just trying to survive, there are worse things than attacking civilians and blaming the Chechen extremists, since it probably gets more support behind Russia's cause than simply leveling the city with said civilians would.

It goes from "Russia loving leveled our city and innocent civilians!" to "Russia needed to liberate the city before the insurgents kill more civilians!"

Again, I honestly don't know who actually committed it, but unless you have 100% verifiable proof, it's probably best to be just as skeptical toward anything Russia offers as anyone else offering it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

This is probably the same kind of Russian drone they were flying over US navy ships off San Diego a few areas ago.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/28/ufo-radar-video-shows-objects-swarming-navy-ship/7487390002/

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting trend today - a lot more Russian capture/movement videos are popping up. I think they realized that Ukrainians were making them look like idiots and are trying to counter the narrative.

Two problems. Their capture pictures videos are often much less impressive - like so
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499793578591236260?t=rYNMTuuLZPx6C-HCkrd_Ww&s=19
Or actively detrimental given that Ukraine has been specifically requesting video of their positions/movements for internal and crowdsourced position data - see below
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499805277583024133?t=zXol4o3H3HNqHzzmXRyNEg&s=19

Maybe it's for domestic consumption? Because right now the contrast is making things even worse

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

well, the russians didn't need to justify their activities in chechnya. they committed many well-documented war crimes. the chechens, who were radical islamists, were also known to commit war crimes and use hostages. they were not good dudes fighting for their freedom against a tyrannical russian government, they were bad dudes fighting to maintain a far-right and brutal theocracy against other bad dudes. it would not be surprising at all for the chechen militants to not want people to use the corridor, whereas russia would very much want people to use the corridor because it makes it far easier to level the city without civilians running around.

i'm not saying that russia will never betray anyone, but they are not cartoonishly evil, they have humanitarian corridors for political and military reasons. this isn't medieval europe and they aren't going to try to starve a city into submission, which is impossible. they want people out so they can more easily take the city. i am also not saying that the russians didn't use a fake humanitarian corridor to kill a bunch of ukrainian army, entirely possible that happened.

Uhhhh

So what about the first Chechen War?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve heard a lot of hubbub about how US military has all this experience from Iraq/Afghanistan and that you need experience or your military becomes a joke.

But shouldn’t Russia have plenty of operational experience from Georgia, Crimea and the insurgency in Donbas?

They do, which makes their failures so far so preplexing. Their initial moves were either the result of incompetent planning, or insufficient planning due to a last minute decision to invade, or a failure to understand that the Ukrainians would actually fight instead of simply watching uncoordinated Russian columns move in with their mouths open.

So far, serious observers are waiting for signs the Russians are cleaning up their act. We have seen little of that though to be fair, it would probably take more time than has passed since the invasion began for them to fix any of the unsuspected underlying issues.

It may also be because the Gerogian and Crimean operations were made by the small full time professional core of the Russian army while this operation is clearly documented to rely on many conscript formations that are decidedly unprofessional and unable to actually carry out Russian war plans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Went to https://zenrus.ru/ to see if it updated.

124 RUB to 1 USD

Markets will re-open Monday and that'll likely change a lot then.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Or actively detrimental given that Ukraine has been specifically requesting video of their positions/movements for internal and crowdsourced position data - see below
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499805277583024133?t=zXol4o3H3HNqHzzmXRyNEg&s=19

Maybe it's for domestic consumption? Because right now the contrast is making things even worse

Considering the video shows the aftermath of a decently sized battle with destroyed Ukranian armour, I think we can safely say Ukraine already knows they're there.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Saint Kyivanka posted:

When has Russia ever cared about whether there are civilian casualties or not? I don't disagree that Chechen militants were bad, and they very well could have done it. But if you're the Russian government, fighting in an area where there are people that are pro-Russian, pro-Chechen insurgents, and then those who are just trying to survive, there are worse things than attacking civilians and blaming the Chechen extremists, since it probably gets more support behind Russia's cause than simply leveling the city with said civilians would.

It goes from "Russia loving leveled our city and innocent civilians!" to "Russia needed to liberate the city before the insurgents kill more civilians!"

Again, I honestly don't know who actually committed it, but unless you have 100% verifiable proof, it's probably best to be just as skeptical toward anything Russia offers as anyone else offering it.

i mean, the original point was what would happen in the event of a russian siege. and i said i think russia would probably setup corridors to get people out. i stand by that, russia has political and military reasons to want to evacuate as many civilians as possible from the city. it would be the best possible thing for them if literally every civilian left, they would simply artillery the whole thing into the ground and not have to worry at all about urban combat. killing civilians trying to flee would, in fact, severely discourage people from using the corridor, thereby defeating the purpose of doing it in the first place.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

I seriously don’t think they’ll open at all in March.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

no, even if some joker managed to convincingly feed russian artillery false targeting data, it would be pretty obvious checking the numbers that it would be shooting at russian troops. generally artillery is going to know where their own front lines are, it is one of the things you absolutely need to be aware of

Getting artillery to waste precious ammunition firing on an empty field or prompting a wild goose chase by reporting a fictitious UA force pushing into a flanking position would both be wins though.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-04/russia-keeps-stock-trading-closed-in-nation-s-longest-shutdown

Paywall but it's through next Wednesday now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

i mean, the original point was what would happen in the event of a russian siege. and i said i think russia would probably setup corridors to get people out. i stand by that, russia has political and military reasons to want to evacuate as many civilians as possible from the city. it would be the best possible thing for them if literally every civilian left, they would simply artillery the whole thing into the ground and not have to worry at all about urban combat. killing civilians trying to flee would, in fact, severely discourage people from using the corridor, thereby defeating the purpose of doing it in the first place.

I admire your wide-eyed optimism.

OK, maybe admire is the wrong word.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

CommieGIR posted:

freeasinbeer posted:

I seriously don’t think they’ll open at all in March.

They said "Monday", never specified which one. :v:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Saint Kyivanka posted:

I'm not saying this was the case, but wouldn't "Russians fire on the civilians and blame the Chechens" the exact definition of a false flag operation, that then justifies the actions in Grozny/etc.?

I just have a hard time rectifying that whenever Russia sets up a "safe corridor", that anti-civilian activities occur and it's always, conveniently, someone else's fault.

It's just one story, but one dude from Chechnya that ended up in Poland said that Russian helicopter crews occasionally dropped grenades on them. According to him it was just pure spite more than anything else.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i think its a combination of russia using its tanks in a far more risky way in this conflict (america was highly risk averse to the optics of losing a tank), poor logistics and morale causing tanks to be abandoned by their crews, and an expectation that ukraine would not be able to field as many modern ATGMs and drones as they actually have to kill tanks with

My complete speculation to try and explain some of the weird poo poo going on has been that it's less about the technology and entirely about the dumbass way it's being used. They had a 100% confident plan to assault that Kyiv airport and be able to overthrow the government pretty quickly. Then their puppet government would order everyone to stand down while they focused their attack on the areas they wanted in the east and anyone who refused to lay down arms. Most of the invasion force outside of the east wasn't actually prepped and ready for a full scale sustained invasion because they didn't think they'd have to do one. The plan would have been for most Ukrainian forces to stand down while they murdered the Azov battalion and anyone who wouldn't lay down arms, which is probably where their two week timeframe came from. Taking a few cities and fighting 1% as much.

They began by attacking from Crimea and went for that Kyiv airport first thing with their elite airborne units to overthrow the government and got massacred unexpectedly. Which committed them to a full scale invasion. Which is when the escalation started.

They fought disorganized for a day or two where you could start to see the horrific losses inflicted on them in the fighting but they did prep a second airport assault with 200 helicopters and go straight for it again, weirdly focusing on that one specific airport above everything else in the country. Their unprepared invasion forces ate poo poo while they scrambled for that one specific target.

Then the 200 helicopter assault actually finished off the airport but they couldn't translate that into overthrowing the government so their still unprepared army kept getting massacred and started running out of supplies. That's when they went they started drawing more of the invasion force that hadn't been used yet because they were 10,000% committed to a full scale invasion they weren't winning yet.

Their most organized forces (Eastern area targeting Kharkiv/Odessa and the black sea fleet) were prepared for the sustained ground war but everywhere else was just a clowncar parade losing them hundreds of vehicles and soldiers. After a few more days of getting owned they ordered most of the rest of the invasion force into the country.

Once the full clowncar battalion started smashing up into giant traffic jams and running out of gas and food they stopped being restrained and started bombing the poo poo out of the eastern areas where their only prepared and supplied units are still fighting and making gains.

Being this incompetent makes all projections and studies of conventional warfare completely useless. If you had a giant flat field and put both armies in it Russia would obviously win. They are instead killing themselves by being dumb as poo poo and are now stuck in a fight they refuse to not win. The aggressor apparently has no real plan and has to fight a reactionary defensive war during their own attack.

If a ceasefire isn't reached or Russia doesn't gently caress off and try to save face by declaring they've won enough victory for now then they are going to get even more desperate which is extremely loving dangerous. The entire concept of Capital R Russia is on the line now because they just had to loving invade someone and refuse to loving stop. They opened up on a nuclear power plant last night because it supplies the capital of the country they can't invade with power.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

i believe that the current exchange rate quotes are from exchanges outside russia, because inside russia they fixed an official exchange rate for whenever they reopen (90-1 iirc)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting that the Ukrainians are able to take proactive measures like this in the south right now.

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1499814404925399041?t=NxNjd6hQjWnTF95dRix5mQ&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They are really, really trying to avoid ripping off the bandaid.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1499742788946120707?s=20&t=hgb8wOnQM17-Pm-Vs7J98w

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know what Agency is in terms of its connection to Russia or how trustworthy it is but I'll link this if only for "Everything is hosed," a source close to Putin's administration told Agency. Also Kremlin staff apparently didn't know.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kremlin-staff-didnt-expect-ukraine-invasion-sanctions-shock-report-2022-3?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Djarum posted:

The US has had a Global Hawk up almost 24/7 along with multiple RC-135s, satellites and god knows what we don't even know about. I am pretty sure the DOD has a better idea of what is going on there than anyone else on earth.
Anecdotal and all, but in a "I know someone who knows someone" way, I've heard that us intel isn't necessarily missing anything, but frequently things are being brought up in meetings as new info where everyone in the room is like "yeah, that was on Reddit 8 hours ago".

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In a move some would call "on the nose" Moscow cops searched the Memorial Human Rights center and have been harassing their employees

Thread
https://twitter.com/EnMemorial/status/1499767832078426117?t=oITORtWpC-2QC6I-IkXizw&s=19

Mission of International Memorial

their website mission statement posted:

International Historical Educational Charitable and Human Rights Society «Memorial» (International Memorial) is a non-commercial organisation studying political repressions in the USSR and in present-day Russia and promoting moral and legal rehabilitation of persons subjected to political repressions.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I don't know what Agency is in terms of its connection to Russia or how trustworthy it is but I'll link this if only for "Everything is hosed," a source close to Putin's administration told Agency. Also Kremlin staff apparently didn't know.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kremlin-staff-didnt-expect-ukraine-invasion-sanctions-shock-report-2022-3?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Sanctions were expected, but the whole world has rallied in an unprecedented way. China is avoiding touching the poop, and just about everything the West threatened to do they've done and more. This is similar to the piles of sanctions Japan was under in the lead-up to WW2. If Russia doesn't pull back (and I don't expect Putin will) they're looking at total economic collapse.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I’ve seen Russian citizens mocking the special military operation and replacing the word “war” with “special military operation” in random contexts

So it turns out that Tolstoy wrote “Special Military Operation and Peace”

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Seems like this guy is very concerned about a revolt by his own people with no Russian military to back him up, or his own troops.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

- the White Sunflower
- the Ukrainian Tractor

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Father and son trying to rescue their dogs get ambushed by RU forces :stare:

Obviously, :nms: ik edit: civilian murdered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3_R__r7Go

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 4, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kaaj posted:

I’ve seen Russian citizens mocking the special military operation and replacing the word “war” with “special military operation” in random contexts

So it turns out that Tolstoy wrote “Special Military Operation and Peace”

Special Military Operation 2 was either their finest moment or a lovely knockoff Call of Duty game. Either or.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I thought the same for years, that Russia's information war strategy is creating many different lies, and blasting all of them on multiple channels. Its a very smart way to cover up the truth as different people will believe different lies and keeps people confused.

Ynglaur made a good post about this:

Ynglaur posted:

This is worth re-posting. This is how misinformation campaigns work. It's not that they convince you a particular thing is true: it's that they force you to doubt everything else. Russia is very, very good at maskirovka, and arguably has been since at least the Second World War. They're good at it strategically, operationally, and tactically. If decision makers are less certain as to the facts, they spend more time verifying, and less time deciding and acting. This certainly help if you're going to invade someone, but can advance Russia's aims even if they don't.

And the word to look for if you want to learn more is maskirovka. You have to view the Russian state media as extensions of the Russian military.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting trend today - a lot more Russian capture/movement videos are popping up. I think they realized that Ukrainians were making them look like idiots and are trying to counter the narrative.

Two problems. Their capture pictures videos are often much less impressive - like so
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499793578591236260?t=rYNMTuuLZPx6C-HCkrd_Ww&s=19

Javelin missiles come in a disposable launch tube that disconnects from the CLU after you fire it.

It's worse than useless, they captured the equivalent of shell casings.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

TulliusCicero posted:

Seems like this guy is very concerned about a revolt by his own people with no Russian military to back him up, or his own troops.

He shouldn't worry so much, Russia wouldn't allow that to happen while they have troops stationed in his country.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting that the Ukrainians are able to take proactive measures like this in the south right now.

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1499814404925399041?t=NxNjd6hQjWnTF95dRix5mQ&s=19

I mean, Transnistria is quite far from the area Russia controls in the south.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

In a move some would call "on the nose" Moscow cops searched the Memorial Human Rights center and have been harassing their employees

Thread
https://twitter.com/EnMemorial/status/1499767832078426117?t=oITORtWpC-2QC6I-IkXizw&s=19

Mission of International Memorial

Memorial was targetted a couple weeks before the invasion. Likely there was a connection, since it was one of places that worked in coordinating information exchange about actions of Russian state. I vaguely remember they also helped mothers know where their sons died, but it might be other similarly named organization.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve heard a lot of hubbub about how US military has all this experience from Iraq/Afghanistan and that you need experience or your military becomes a joke.

But shouldn’t Russia have plenty of operational experience from Georgia, Crimea and the insurgency in Donbas?

Russian army's major wars were Georgia (where they were much worse than what we're observing) and Syria. Crimea had very limited fighting, and Donbas mostly featured artillery.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KitConstantine posted:

I posted this thread earlier - really good summary of the issues with attacking Odessa from the sea. Pro-click imo.

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499650326374322176?t=AodKQzpJaIwhDdfnfWeF-Q&s=19
One other issue is that the sinking of the commercial ship yesterday means that the sea around the port is mined. Minesweeper boats have wooden hulls so they dont set off the mines. Bringing in a minesweeper close enough to do its job would mean it would get sank almost immediately by the Ukrainian weapons on the beach

I've been looking but I haven't seen any other movement on that front today.

So will ATGM hit those big rear end ships? The ones like this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655740428017665

If so can ATGM and RPGs do damage to something like that?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Captain Beans posted:

Fighting against massively inferior forces / insurgencies might be worse than no experience if you learn the wrong lessons.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So will ATGM hit those big rear end ships? The ones like this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655740428017665

If so can ATGM and RPGs do damage to something like that?

The answer is yes, basically, but hitting over waves is harder than it sounds so the most vulnerable time will be when those transports hit the beach.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the amphib ops are mostly a decoy, a la Desert Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

the popes toes posted:

Guardian:

Sainsbury’s is renaming its chicken kiev to chicken kyiv and is joining Waitrose and Morrisons in withdrawing a Russian-made vodka from the shelves in the latest action by British retailers to signal solidarity with the people of Ukraine.

UK making a difference where it counts.

Sainsbury's is also donating 2m to humanitarian aid, which is quite a surprising amount to be honest. As far as I'm aware as a company they have no real ties to either Ukraine or Russia. They're stopping the sale of the only two products they buy directly from Russia which is Russian Standard vodka and some kind of toasted seeds.