Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Retromancer posted:

The PDW project is the classic example of a MIC boondoggle that spends billions to make poo poo that doesn't work as well as the M4 carbine that's been around since the 80s based on a weapon platform from the 60s.

Um excuse me but what if a rear echelon vehicle crew needs to fight armored Jaffa warriors, 5.56 ballistics are insufficient to defeat Goa'uld composite armor and furthermore :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Oglethorpe posted:

it's the intergalactic weapon of choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i say swears online posted:

lol no way, the airborne themselves would parachute into the pentagon to stop any cuts

Didn't stop the 101st from being stripped of their jump status, and the Army even disbanded all the LRS companies recently so it's not like they're adverse to getting rid of "elite" heritage units.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Didn't stop the 101st from being stripped of their jump status, and the Army even disbanded all the LRS companies recently so it's not like they're adverse to getting rid of "elite" heritage units.

Paratroopers: We need first pick of recruits, only the best can deal with jumping out of an airplane and we'll leave other formations with the dregs :hist101:
Also paratroopers: You can't get rid of paratroopers, they're the elite of light infantry due to the morale and combat ability-boosting effects of jumping out of airplanes :qq:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

well that's egg on my face, i didn't even know. i was wondering why you didn't mention them as well in your previous post

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

well that's egg on my face, i didn't even know. i was wondering why you didn't mention them as well in your previous post

The 101st haven't been an airborne unit since the 70's, they're an air assault division now.

There's also the 173rd (itself a brigade) and a brigade of the 25th ID who are still jump qualified "regular" units, but pretty much every nation that still has paratroopers has brigade-sized units only.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Mar 4, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe they should change their loving name if it's been over fifty years

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I really need a crash course in military terminology and history this might as well be greek for all I understand of it

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

maybe they should change their loving name if it's been over fifty years

Supposedly they're waiting for the last surviving jump qualified 101st veteran that served during their time as an airborne unit to die, but that could be BS for all I know.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

AFAICT that's not what happened, though. The paratroopers did their flashy air drop and were then promptly shoved off the airport in short order on the 24th. The next day, advancing Russian ground forces retook the airport when they broke through at Ivankiv and then consolidated their position with VDV reinforcements coming via mass helicopter lift.

Which just raises the question of what was the the purpose of the airborne mission in the first place really

The VDV who landed at Gostomel were apparently alive and relieved by the ground troops on the 25th:

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1497110084933107731

Russian MOD is stating that the VDV at Gostomel managed to land, hold out, and were relieved by ground forces yesterday. BBC's source is saying that the Russians used 200 helicopters for the operation.

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=1&nid=568376&lang=RU

OG Russian posted:

Киев блокирован с запада - Минобороны РФ
25.02.2022 15:35:11
Москва. 25 февраля. ИНТЕРФАКС - Российские военные сообщили о блокировке Киева с западной стороны.
"В настоящее время основные силы воздушно-десантных войск соединились с подразделениями российского десанта на аэродроме Гостомель, обеспечив блокирование города Киева с запада", - сообщил официальный представитель Минобороны РФ Игорь Конашенков.
Он заявил, что подразделения Вооруженных Сил России продолжают выполнение задач в районе Киева и других городов, проявляя мужество и героизм.

1сви ан мл

Google Translate posted:

Kyiv blocked from the west - Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation
25.02.2022 15:35:11
Moscow. 25 February. Interfax - The Russian military announced the blockade of Kyiv from the western side.
"At present, the main forces of the airborne troops have joined forces with Russian landing units at the Gostomel airfield, blocking the city of Kyiv from the west," Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.
He stated that the units of the Russian Armed Forces continue to carry out tasks in the area of ​​Kyiv and other cities, showing courage and heroism.

1svi an ml

https://twitter.com/LindseyMastis/status/1497189682878291981

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

something I’ve been thinking about

the US managed logistics for two wars in the Middle East, one in a land locked mountainous region for decades. like it’s a gigantic pain in the rear end to get containers to and from Afghanistan.

RF can’t seem to manage logistics in a country bordering itself, that it has direct road and rail connections to and held parts of before the conflict.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The video you posted is from the 24th; and also, I don't think they were wiped out, just pushed back into the surrounding area, and there were some Ukr forces videos posting them dancing at the airport afterward so I'm inclined to believe that counterattack did land even if it was only successful for a few hours. The VDV may very well have mostly survived the 24th, regrouped in the area and linked up with the advancing ground forces who were then reinforced by helicopter lift. We probably won't find out the real detailed course of events until the history books are written.

Again though, just raises the question of why bother with paratroopers. They had a ground advance force take the airport literally the next day.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the US managed logistics for two wars in the Middle East, one in a land locked mountainous region for decades. like it’s a gigantic pain in the rear end to get containers to and from Afghanistan.

they managed logistics so well that over a year into the conflict members of popular website Something Awful Dot Com felt compelled to raise tens of thousands of dollars to source and ship troops some body armor

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

you’re not making the point you think you are.

I have things sent back from both Iraq and Afghanistan from friends and family and sent things to them. like you know functional mail system.

I’m not sure are they even going to set up bases? did they plan to?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I have things sent back from both Iraq and Afghanistan from friends and family and sent things to them. like you know functional mail system.

military logistics isn’t just shipping lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

you’re not making the point you think you are.

I’m not sure are they even going to set up bases? did they plan to?

why would russia occupy ukraine? i dont think they give a poo poo about that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Centrist Committee posted:

I really need a crash course in military terminology and history this might as well be greek for all I understand of it

Airborne = parachutes, air assault is helicopters.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

military logistics isn’t just shipping lol

everything from ore in bulk to parcels is shipping my dude. there is very little I haven’t had my grubby fingers into in shipping. I mean product tankers is about it.

Real hurthling! posted:

why would russia occupy ukraine? i dont think they give a poo poo about that.

they don’t really have a choice at this point.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I don't think they ever had a problem delivering military supplies in Iraq, sure a bunch of truckers got ambushed (Remember Jessica Lynch, lol?), it's just that a bunch of non-lethal support functions of the military were essentially privatized to contractors and the contractors didn't show up because they couldn't find enough minimum wage workers to cook or do laundry in a war zone. Eventually they resorted to the tried-and-true tactic of lying to people and then taking their passports so they couldn't leave and things got fixed, but for the first few months of the occupation there were stories of American soldiers eating MREs and living in filth while their coalition counterparts were living reasonably well because their support systems were still in-house.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

everything from ore in bulk to parcels is shipping my dude. there is very little I haven’t had my grubby fingers into in shipping. I mean product tankers is about it.

wow cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sullat posted:

I don't think they ever had a problem delivering military supplies in Iraq

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/03/world/struggle-for-iraq-official-history-army-study-iraq-war-details-morass-supply.html

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA431720

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2003/9/1/2003september-battery-supplies-ran-dangerously-low-in-iraq

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7249/j.ctt19w72gs.17?seq=3#metadata_info_tab_contents

:wrong:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

remember when we discovered what IEDs are and realized humvees' floors are made out of wax paper, then people started donating money for body armor

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sullat posted:

it's just that a bunch of non-lethal support functions of the military were essentially privatized to contractors and the contractors didn't show up because they couldn't find enough minimum wage workers to cook or do laundry in a war zone.

this is eventually going to be an even bigger problem. many of the privatized functions the contractors just hired the enlisted guys that used to do it. but now you don’t have the next guy being built and trained by services. and at some point the guys that know how to do it get old and retire.

lol at private companies training skilled workers when that happens, that poo poo costs money.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

right

so when this poo poo’s over will there be a Russian equivalent of a colonel critiquing internal distribution problems of ammunition publicly in a paper that will inform future actions.

lmao

now the Chinese... they’ll just read that American Lt. Colonel’s paper and not gently caress it up when they do it.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

The Oldest Man posted:

5.56 ballistics are insufficient to defeat Goa'uld composite armor and furthermore :words:

then why do all the marines attached to the sgc use m4s

Goast has issued a correction as of 07:08 on Mar 5, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone actually ever get body armor or did the 'tax grift that too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did anyone actually ever get body armor or did the 'tax grift that too

you know

edit troops got tons of plates and poo poo like 18 months after the hubbub but it wasn't from the charities lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

didn’t PayPal freeze the funds for a few months cause Lowtax suddenly collected ~$50k through hundreds of donations in 24 hours from all over the world on a personal account? I didn’t follow it that closely since I was just a frontpage casual at the time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that was katrina

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

if the money had gone to lowtax instead of the troops then it was put to a better use

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that was katrina

drat he beat her too ?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

drat he beat her too ?

:vince:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

indigi posted:

drat he beat her too ?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lmao

whatabout minor supply distribution issues in Iraq I argue while extremely used cargo vans marked with Z are being railed in to replace lost heavy trucks. tremendous content.

what a poo poo show.

before this I had thought Putin was an intelligent manipulator. pressing on the divisions within our society. bribing / buying our politicians. outright controlling an American President. dividing the EU internally.

hosed all that right up.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
How are Russia and China near-parity when we spend $800 billion bucks on the military in every budget?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

How are Russia and China near-parity when we spend $800 billion bucks on the military in every budget?

They may have "parity" in technology but not quantity. The Russian and Chinese navy are tiny compared to the US for example, and the US Navy is actually one of the largest air forces in the world on top of that. Whether or not hypersonic cruise missiles can negate that disadvantage though is another question.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

They may have "parity" in technology but not quantity. The Russian and Chinese navy are tiny compared to the US for example, and the US Navy is actually one of the largest air forces in the world on top of that. Whether or not hypersonic cruise missiles can negate that disadvantage though is another question.

there's also regulatory capture to think about, which is less of a problem in china (russia tbd atm)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Justin Tyme posted:

You can find people arguing that the US has 4 of the 5 most powerful air forces on Earth in terms of material. Obviously not all of those are fully kitted out like a proper air force, and those rankings are highly susceptible to bias, but it does speak to the US pouring a ton of money into that poo poo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

yeah the US is number one just off that Napoleon “I spend 30,000 lives a month, you cannot stop me” strategy before even bringing tech competence or whatever into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Danann posted:

Russian MOD is stating that the VDV at Gostomel managed to land, hold out, and were relieved by ground forces yesterday. BBC's source is saying that the Russians used 200 helicopters for the operation.

That's fun because on the day Ukraine claimed 34 helicopters were used. But bigger number looks more impressive I guess.