Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The United States posted:

Movie 3 WAR - Woody Harrelson delivers the most hilarious titular line in decades

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sold, titular lines rule

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Mr Hootington posted:

The common complaint in the reviews is the movie to too long.

Yeah I'm not crazy about a 3 hour batman movie but there's lots I'm excited to see, going on Saturday.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bushisms.txt posted:

Sold, titular lines rule

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war of the planet of the apes!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Keaton seems to be in the movie a good bit. I figured his one scene in the previous trailers was likely the post-credits teaser.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I heard one interesting thing about The Batman, spoiling, just in case anyone wants to be completely free, thought it's really minor.

It's Bruce's 2nd year as Batman, meaning that we don't get a Wayne's Murdered/Pearls Fall origin scene. Assuming I understood the review I watched correctly. If that's accurate, that's one star from me right there.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I thought the original tweet was silly at the time, but

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1498497064149286913

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThXG-Kq-RkQ

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at acting like banning movies from torrent-filled russia is a critical strike in the culture war

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mameluke posted:

lmao at acting like banning movies from torrent-filled russia is a critical strike in the culture war
It's not that it's actually withholding the movie, it's that hollywood is willing to give up the revenue they would generate from ticket sales, that's what's significant.

Of course with the russian public out of money and the ruble in freefall, the ticket sales they are likely giving up would amount to less than they would spend on marketing anyway.

https://twitter.com/mschwirtz/status/1498510944338690049

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 1, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Barry Convex posted:

I thought the original tweet was silly at the time, but

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1498497064149286913

https://twitter.com/RyanRevox/status/1497234023625760768

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

So I heard one interesting thing about The Batman, spoiling, just in case anyone wants to be completely free, thought it's really minor.

It's Bruce's 2nd year as Batman, meaning that we don't get a Wayne's Murdered/Pearls Fall origin scene. Assuming I understood the review I watched correctly. If that's accurate, that's one star from me right there.

I feel like that's an extremely bold assumption.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

CzarChasm posted:

Saw the movie last night and this is true, but we certainly get plenty of Bruce brooding over his dead parents, and there's a mourning kid in several scenes that serves as an analog for young Bruce. His grief and pain over the loss of his parents are central to the film and the character's motivations, as I suppose they usually are, but even more so here.

Really liked it, but didn't love it. At like three hours, The Batman is simultaneously overstuffed and underwritten, yet the movie has great performances by nearly everyone (Farrell is the standout, IMO), is grim as gently caress, and looks fantastic. Reeves' passion for Batman shines through and his take on the mythos is certainly the most comics-faithful of any of the live-action films.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 2, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Got back from an early showing, the movie is beautiful. The first shot of the Riddler is straight up horrific and striking, and they linger on it for a bit. A lot of the movie's runtime is down to that, taking a scene that something else might cut away from and giving it a moment to live in. Relatedly a lot of the movie is shot like a horror film. Not even a suspense, just straight up a slasher flick. Even the Batmobile gets framed like a monster. And it's all very thematic because of....you know the plot of the film, which hey I'll wait to the film is slightly more widely released to talk about.

I will just straight up say about some of the black bar bits I very much appreciate that even though this film is more about his parent's death than most others they didn't show the loving shot of them in the alley yet again. We get it and the restraint is appreciated, good on you film for focusing on the actually important bits of that.

Oh yeah and the score is great, from menacing stingers that really drive home the terror of what's happening, to some strong diagetic use of Ave Maria, and hey. Nirvana, why not? Certainly fits.

My favorite Batman film, hope a lovely cam rip drops soon so I can revisit some of those scenes even in a horrific quality, because my rear end would go broke rewatching it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea the reviews are pretty much washing away all my fears of what the movie is going to be. I've already seen Batchud fandom hating it, which probably means that the movies real good. The Horror Movie stuff is more about the way its shot rather than content which was more of what I was worried about.

Was The Marvels always going to be November of this year? I could have sworn it was next year, but I keep seeing Nov 22nd as the release date in the Captain Marvel fan accounts I follow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

November was an old date, it’s been pushed to February.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I’ve heard The Batman being compared to a David Fincher film and I’m here for it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I’ve heard The Batman being compared to a David Fincher film and I’m here for it

I don't know why you would be here for it. The theater is were it can be seen.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, it's definitely Fincher-lite plus a Batman. and somehow even longer than Zodiac.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Batman just ended. Really, really enjoyed it! Felt like a great dark comic arc or something in the vein of the Arkham games (and I'm not even the biggest fan of those games). Also had a very funny and grim sense of humor. The final battle with the Riddler goons was pretty great. Also, we finally got the Batman-as-detective movie we've been dying for!

Some minor qualms: The suit was a little too bulletproof for my liking, too many automatic rounds fed into it with no reaction. 1000% did not need that Joker tease. Dano was good but the weird screeching he did was borderline offensive. Really enjoyed the Batmobile chase but some of the geography got a bit confusing. Speaking of that chase, this is more a goof than an actual complaint but how many innocent civilians did Batman get killed in that pileup? Lastly, some of the moral posturing about killing and guns felt kind of empty and throwaway.

Really enjoyed it, definitely better than the Nolan films for me.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 4, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think people will complain about how long it is and that it seems to have a few false endings, but I really really enjoyed the Batman. Batman in this reminded me of the version from TAS in a good way. But what I liked the most was that this actually telling a story of how Batman became less focused on his own desires and being all about vengeance and fear and moved to saving people and becoming a symbol of hope.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when does Batman hit HBOmax

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

site posted:

when does Batman hit HBOmax

rumored to be april 19

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hiddenriverninja posted:

rumored to be april 19

45 days after release, so, yes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Codependent Poster posted:

I think people will complain about how long it is and that it seems to have a few false endings, but I really really enjoyed the Batman. Batman in this reminded me of the version from TAS in a good way. But what I liked the most was that this actually telling a story of how Batman became less focused on his own desires and being all about vengeance and fear and moved to saving people and becoming a symbol of hope.

Yeah, that was my favorite part. Also the red herring of thinking the riddler's last video.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Barry Keoghan gets topline end credits.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
saw The Batman last night. If it were up to me, “even darker and grittier than the Nolan films” is not the tone I would have chosen for a Batman reboot, but Reeves et al managed to execute that fairly well, with a very strong cast. It’s also refreshing to see a Batman who actually has to do detective work onscreen.

Did it really need to be three fuckin’ hours long, though? No, no, it did not.

Timby posted:

45 days after release, so, yes.

afaik, 45 days is just a minimum exclusive theatrical window, not something every release will necessarily stick to, though I could be wrong

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barry Convex posted:

saw The Batman last night. If it were up to me, “even darker and grittier than the Nolan films” is not the tone I would have chosen for a Batman reboot
https://twitter.com/LeeNapier7/status/1499757502736453632

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did like how Batman's contact lens cameras were kind of crappy.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Avoiding spoilers but I wanted to complain, somehow Twitter has decided that I want to see posts about Snyder superhero movies even though I’ve blocked them. Some of those people are coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.

That is all.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

I think people will complain about how long it is and that it seems to have a few false endings, but I really really enjoyed the Batman. Batman in this reminded me of the version from TAS in a good way.

Nice, good to hear, gonna see it tonight.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Joe Fisto posted:

Avoiding spoilers but I wanted to complain, somehow Twitter has decided that I want to see posts about Snyder superhero movies even though I’ve blocked them. Some of those people are coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.

That is all.

Oh no.
:cripes: I hope they don't bring their stupid hashtag. I think they always do when there's a DC announcement.
You got your movie, move on you weirdos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Personally, as someone who's not really into the whole "dark and gritty" thing, I thought The Batman worked with it really well, partially because it has an actual sense of humor. It's a grim sense of humor, but it's there. The movie's also not afraid to let just plainly silly things happen with a straight face, not in a way where it's trying to minimize the silliness but almost to break tension, if that makes sense. I'm sure Twitter contrarians are gonna clip poo poo out of context in two months when it drops on HBO Max and say "y'all really like THIS????" at, like, the MS-DOS scene or whatever, but in the context of the movie it works really well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you thought this Batman movie was grim and gritty and darker than the Nolan films then congrats on missing the entire point.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

If you thought this Batman movie was grim and gritty and darker than the Nolan films then congrats on missing the entire point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMI6B734Ew4

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh no.
:cripes: I hope they don't bring their stupid hashtag. I think they always do when there's a DC announcement.
You got your movie, move on you weirdos.

Its now #MakeTheBatfleckMovie

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Joe Fisto posted:

Its now #MakeTheBatfleckMovie

He doesn't want to be in a Batman movie! That's how this happened!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's also the people condemning Reeves' film, saying he "stole" the title of "The Batman" from Affleck's planned film.

https://twitter.com/jasonkilar/status/1499196881855029248?s=20&t=eC0nHobJxJARZ27cPxY6tA

Read the comments at your own risk! But don't say I didn't warn you!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 5, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

He doesn't want to be in a Batman movie! That's how this happened!

You and I understand that, but these whackos must think they can bully Ben into doing the movie. Poor bastard will drink himself to death under constant harassment to dress like a bat and punch people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Davros1 posted:

There's also the people condemning Reeves' film, say he "stole" the title of "The Batman" from Affleck's planned film.

https://twitter.com/jasonkilar/status/1499196881855029248?s=20&t=eC0nHobJxJARZ27cPxY6tA

Read the comments at your own risk! But don't say I didn't warn you!

I'm reading none of these and every one of these people are psychos