Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My controversial opinion is that the touch controls for SotN on Android aren't actually terrible.

Nothing close to an actual controller but it's actually playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Was Lords of Shadow the game with Patrick Stewart that ended in modern times? I remember playing it and enjoying it at the time. No, I don't remember anything about it

That was Oblivion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

b_d posted:

is there some kind of explanation for this?

They go to anime mercenary high school. You can be a soldier from age 15 and an instructor at 18, and if you haven't risen high enough to become a professor or administrator by 25, you get kicked out. It's an insanely hosed up system and it pretty much gets glossed over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of stuff gets glossed over in 8

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Would rather have Castlevania Adventure Rebirth on Switch over SotN.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve played SotN a gajillion times remake the DS ones for people that haven’t experienced PoR, DoS or OoE.

I love typing Castlevania title acronyms.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
SOTN is one of those games that should be released on every system until the end of time, like RE4.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Alan_Shore posted:

Was Lords of Shadow the game with Patrick Stewart that ended in modern times? I remember playing it and enjoying it at the time. No, I don't remember anything about it

The first Lords of Shadow is a beautiful, fun game that gets let down by some choppy storytelling in the first quarter. The second one is a grimdark mess let down by a badly connected 'open world' where it's impossible to figure out how to backtrack that gets even more confusing when it starts taking place in two timelines. It had some neat ideas but the execution is terrible and I never finished it. Amazingly optimized game engine though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rolo posted:

I’ve played SotN a gajillion times remake the DS ones for people that haven’t experienced PoR, DoS or OoE.

Castlevania HD needs to rererelease on the Switch. The PS3(?) had both online and couch co-op. Bundle in all the overpriced DLC and sell it for $30 or whatever.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So that's a 'no' for Immortals: Fenyx Rising, then? Tried looking up thoughts on the last thread and didn't get much. So any input is appreciated! :shobon:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

:yeah:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Castlevania HD needs to rererelease on the Switch. The PS3(?) had both online and couch co-op. Bundle in all the overpriced DLC and sell it for $30 or whatever.
I'd have liked to try HD, I skipped the PS360 generation of consoles due to being unemployed and broke during the aughts. I'd check it out if they re-released it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Morter posted:

So that's a 'no' for Immortals: Fenyx Rising, then? Tried looking up thoughts on the last thread and didn't get much. So any input is appreciated! :shobon:
I mean, I had a great time playing it, but if I had it already on another system I doubt I would buy it again. But I also play almost exclusively docked so getting to play it handheld isn't a big thing for me.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Morter posted:

It’s what you get when Ubisoft remade BotW. It’s not terrible, just kind of generic like most of Ubisoft’s stuff

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Portrait of Ruin is metroidvania perfection.

The loving pyramid level, get out of here it’s great.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Murdstone posted:

I mean, I had a great time playing it, but if I had it already on another system I doubt I would buy it again. But I also play almost exclusively docked so getting to play it handheld isn't a big thing for me.

I've had it installed on my PC for a bit but no motivation to play because of other PC games I had that were taking up my attention. Plus when I ran it, it kept hitching despite a decent medium-high range rig. It was honestly annoying me. I could see myself playing at low volume during work calls. Maybe.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I've never played Castlevania, so when I see the abbreviation "PoR" my heart stops for a moment while I entertain the possibility that I might have missed a Path of Radiance remake.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rolo posted:

Portrait of Ruin is metroidvania perfection.

The loving pyramid level, get out of here it’s great.

Always good to meet another PoR fan, I played so much of that game back in the day and it's still the first DSvania I go back to every time. Yeah, the pyramids are drat awesome. Running through an Egyptian tomb complex in a Castlevania game is such a natural fit.

The music in both of them are a bop, Hail to the Past especially.

The game has some drat excellent music overall as well, especially on the remix front what with Crucifix Held Close, the remix of Haunted Castle's "Cross Your Heart" and Bloodlines Bequeathed, the remix of Divine Bloodlines.

Hell, even there's even a killer dance remix of the game's own main entrance theme out there, Invitation of a Crazed Moon and I'm not even a dance remix kind of person.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hell yeah my boy

:coal::respek::coal:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rolo posted:

Hell yeah my boy

Hell yeah

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has anyone bought triangle strat? Heard there’s a lot of politicking but is it good political stuff? Not looking for War and Peace or anything but is it maybe on the level or Legend of the Galactic Heroes or something?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

SOTN is one of those games that should be released on every system until the end of time, like RE4.

yeah for real. I’ll buy it.., for a high price

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Morter posted:

I played the first few hours on the PC and there were a few neat ideas but I was almost immediately put off by the amount of (mandatory?) cutscenes and also I never felt the urge to pick it back up.

hatty posted:

Has anyone bought triangle strat? Heard there’s a lot of politicking but is it good political stuff? Not looking for War and Peace or anything but is it maybe on the level or Legend of the Galactic Heroes or something?

Haven't gotten to the real game yet but it does have a thread which is slowly building steam: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959830

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Morter posted:

It's fine. I played maybe 10-15 hours before I put it down to play BDII and I just haven't been interested enough to return to it.

ACII is my Ubisoft open world game right now, but Immortals Rising definitely controls/plays better and is less of a buggy mess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

SOTN is one of those games that should be released on every system until the end of time, like Doom (1993).
Fixed that for you

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

thanks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Commander Keene posted:

:yeah:

I'd have liked to try HD, I skipped the PS360 generation of consoles due to being unemployed and broke during the aughts. I'd check it out if they re-released it.

It's still playable on those consoles (and probably emulators if any decent ones exist and you're fine playing solo) and if you have XBL gold you can even still play it co-op with friends if you have it installed on the console. There were only a handful of levels and the balance isn't especially great but it was a ton of fun. Especially since the levels were all a single giant map so you had stuff like the boss in the first stage firing its energy blast through the level occasionally to try and hit people going through it. Made the puppet master(?) in stage 2 a bit of a pain in the rear end if you had bad damage output and didn't block every single iron maiden though...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

it whips

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hatty posted:

I have seen multiple comparisons to that specific show

I haven’t seen that show but Triangle Strategy does, in fact, whip

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it does definitely have a lot of words and the voice acting ranges from flawless to dopey, but i like the words and the va is charming

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah for real. I’ll buy it.., for a high price

I'd be interested in this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morter posted:

It's a "get it if it's really cheap, or if you're a tool that plays every Ubisoft game".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

b_d posted:

is there some kind of explanation for this?

She's a prodigy or something so the higher-ups decided to make her a teacher.

To 8's credit, she's demoted to field work pretty quickly because it turns out making a horny teenager a teacher is not the best of ideas, but then the leadership of the teenage military school is pretty loving bad to begin with, to the point where Robin Williams basically puts Squall in charge of the school after Squall murders the fat mutant loanshark squid that owns the school.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Tato posted:

If you were one of the poor souls like me who bought GTA:DE on switch and had one of your save games corrupted to where it would crash the game - the new patch might fix it. All the borked save filed I had for Vice City work again now, just have to remember where the heck I was in the game.

so is the game actually playable now?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm an unapologetic lover of 8's storyline and tbh even I don't really understand how SeeD was meant to function as an organization

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its not important so like, whatever

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was just browsing through Youtube and I happened to catch a streamer playing a game that looked really neat. It was in Japanese so I didn't understand anything going on, but it's a JRPG with a hand drawn art style. Apparently it's called The Cruel King and the Great Hero, I'll probably wait for it to go on sale but it definitely looks right up my alley.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Looper posted:

it whips

Does that mean its good? I was pretty hyped for it before hearing that it had loads of cutscenes. One reviewer said it has something like 1 hour of downtime between battles. Is the actualy strategy element any good?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Science_enthusiast posted:

Does that mean its good? I was pretty hyped for it before hearing that it had loads of cutscenes. One reviewer said it has something like 1 hour of downtime between battles. Is the actualy strategy element any good?

Why are people so hung up on plot though? Like you can skip cutscenes if you want but all JRPGs are just movies with gameplay. It's the point.

I like the plot in Triangle Strategy for what it's worth, the little I've seen anyway. It's got a more grounded feel to it like Octopath Traveller did, as opposed to the apocalyptic battles for the world you see in other series.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why are people so hung up on plot though? Like you can skip cutscenes if you want but all JRPGs are just movies with gameplay. It's the point.

I like the plot in Triangle Strategy for what it's worth, the little I've seen anyway. It's got a more grounded feel to it like Octopath Traveller did, as opposed to the apocalyptic battles for the world you see in other series.

I dunno... I was hoping for the balance of story to tactics gameplay to be more like FFT or tactics ogre- I want story but the draw is the tactical combat for me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Science_enthusiast posted:

it whips, chips, and flips

yeah the strategy is good, all your characters have very distinct abilities (i've got a hunter who can throw down bear traps, a wind mage who can change enemy facing, a clown who can make a decoy) and there are mock battles available at your leisure to fill space if need be. the story is good though, and the big wrinkle is that your retainers all vote on key decision points so you have to be informed enough to change the minds of people disagreeing with you. there've been lots of dialogue options where i don't just slam pick something instantly which is good imo. cool people and lovely people from all three countries so far