Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for using feminine products when my girlfriend doesn’t like it

quote:

Context I (22 cis male) have been using feminine products (woman’s perfume, lotion, and soap) since I was young. My mom was all about good hygiene, so I just used my mom stuff. With that I also wear a little bit of makeup

Now I started dating my girlfriend Jennie (25f) for 3 months now, I had to tell her that I use feminine products because I didn’t want her thinking I was cheating on her. I thought she was ok with it but lately she said she’s been feeling uncomfortable I had asked her why but she didn’t want to answer. Yesterday she asked me to stop use feminine products all together. I told her no since I already talked about when we started dating.

I could be in the wrong since I always get asked if I’m wearing perfume and makeup in public, which might be the cause of her be uncomfortable. AITA?

that wasnt what i was expecting when OP said "feminine products"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm still thinking about trampoline dog. What a good dog. My childhood dog was kind of the opposite, in that if you were on the trampoline he'd get underneath it and jump up at you and bark from below. Really added to the thrill.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for using feminine products when my girlfriend doesn’t like it

that wasnt what i was expecting when OP said "feminine products"

quote:

22 cis male

I also wear a little bit of makeup

I think OP will have better luck going with something else. I'm not sure what, though. Is "femme" a thing? Femme guy? Is that a good way of expressing this?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

is metrosexual still a thing people say or am i trapped in the 90s

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If he was assigned male at birth and identifies as male, he’s cis, regardless of clothing, makeup, or hygiene.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think OP will have better luck going with something else. I'm not sure what, though. Is "femme" a thing? Femme guy? Is that a good way of expressing this?

sure, he might just like smelling pretty though, nothing wrong with a pretty dude. i'd take it 10/10 times over loving axe lol

Mx. posted:

i rarely hear it said without including a bit of a shade these days

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Cis" means "not trans". He means that he was AMAB and identifies as male.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Fair enough.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All men should learn about smoothing out their skin tone and how to put on concealer. There's a reason ever single male actor goes through hair and make-up and they aren't all coming out looking like a Queer Eye makeover.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nah, I think it's still correct because he's describing his orientation not his way of expressing himself.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mx. posted:

Homophobic boomers who think a man turns gay if he wipes his rear end, yes, everyone else, no. Companies eventually figured out that if cishet men were encouraged to engage in the most minimal grooming habits occasionally without being told it meant they were no longer heterosexual then they could sell them body wash and facial scrubs and stuff too and double their profits.

El Spamo posted:

Nah, I think it's still correct because he's describing his orientation not his way of expressing himself.

It is still correct. Cis/trans is gender identity, though. Het/gay/bi/etc is orientation.

AITA for getting mad at my friend for farting on my bed?

quote:

I (F17) was hanging out with a family friend (M16) in my room. ( just to be clear the door was open and he’s like a cousin to me, so nothing of that nature was going on). He was sitting on the edge/side of my bed. I was sitting in a chair across from the bed and we were talking about something when I saw a look come across his face. I heard a rumble and he winced and said “my bad”. It smelled so bad and it was really gross for him to do on my bed. He said by time he knew it was coming it was too late for him to get up, but that doesn’t really make any sense to me. I made him get up and I put my cover in the wash. I’m easily grossed out by stuff like that and I really don’t want to go to bed and think about my body lying on the spot he just ripped rear end on, but he’s acting extremely embarrassed about it. I seriously don’t get why, if he did it why would he found it embarrassing for me to think it’s gross.AITA?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My GF is giving me an ultimatum

quote:

My 22F GF is giving me 24M ultimatum to marry her. She told me super early on into dating that she is looking to settle down and get married as we are both in med school and she wants to be married by the time of graduation.

Anyway I am not opposed to marry her but I don’t wanna marry her for the wrong reasons. We’ve been dating for 9 months now and I’ve met all her friends and her sister. I’ve introduced her to some of my friends but now she is asking me to introduce her to my family and she wants me to meet her parents and told me if I don’t then “I’m not taking her seriously” and Will “go find someone who will take me more serious.” She told me she’s never introduced a guy she’s dated to her parents so this is a huge deal. And for me to introduce a girl to my family is kind of a huge deal and idk if I’m ready.

Also she has communication issues which I’ve brought up and I want them addressed first before we take any serious next step. She’s been working on it slightly but still far from there yet. She shuts down and does silent treatment instead of resolving issues which is a huge deal for marriage imo

I just wanna make sure wants to marry me because she loves me not just because “he’s good enough he will do”

What do I do??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

My GF is giving me an ultimatum

Where the gently caress is my copy of Iron Maiden's album Number of the Beast

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Homophobic boomers who think a man turns gay if he wipes his rear end, yes, everyone else, no. Companies eventually figured out that if cishet men were encouraged to engage in the most minimal grooming habits occasionally without being told it meant they were no longer heterosexual then they could sell them body wash and facial scrubs and stuff too and double their profits.

I'm surprised Maxi hasn't teamed up with Old Spice and just sold sanitary napkins marketed as implements to wick up taint sweat. Called 'em Man Pads or some poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Canyon Dry multi-absorbancy taintwicks -- Keep your canyon trail dry & dusty

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm surprised Maxi hasn't teamed up with Old Spice and just sold sanitary napkins marketed as implements to wick up taint sweat. Called 'em Man Pads or some poo poo.

Man Applied Naturally Portable rear end Drying System

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Brawnfire posted:

Canyon Dry multi-absorbancy taintwicks -- Keep your canyon trail dry & dusty

DUKE CANNON CANYON STRAPS

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

DUKE CANNON CANYON STRAPS

there we go. if DUDE WIPES can be a successful brand, so can this

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Batterypowered7 posted:

Give the company that makes Dude Wipes, the product for wiping your soiled anus if your masculinity is too fragile to contemplate buying a non-gendered baby wipe like 5-10 years and they'll get there. I would go with Launch Pads. They could have little pictures of fighter planes on them.

e: beaten to dude wipes, smh.

AITA for wearing white to a wedding (the bride wasn't)

quote:

I (29f) recently went to my friends (30f) cousins (33m) wedding as my friends +1, the cousin and I have hung out several times at my friends family events before so I wasn’t a stranger. The cousin had told us that his wife’s wedding skirt was being imported from India and her outfit would be red.

The dress code was formal and I don’t own many dresses or like going shopping so I picked a dress that best fit the dress code and didn’t clash with the bride.

When I arrived at the wedding venue my friend and her mom looked confused, she asked me if something had happened to the dress “I was planning to wear”, and my friend said my dress was more of a beach dress than a wedding one which was quite rude. But they dropped the subject once I said it hardly mattered because the bride wasn’t wearing white, and we went to take our seats, but all the guests were staring and I knew they were whispering about me.

I ignored them all knowing it would stop once everyone saw the bride was in red, not white.

After the ceremony the cousins mom came up to me and told me I should be ashamed of myself for attending a wedding like this, she called my dress a housedress and how it’s rude to wear white to a wedding. AGAIN, I pointed out it’s only rude to upstage the bride, which I didn’t because she’s in red. I had a few other guests comment on my “interesting” wardrobe choice and their surprise that the church let me in “half-naked”, that I must be quite poor to show up to a formal like that, and how correct dress code etiquette went to hell with my generation.

After a few drinks it got really obvious that anyone talking to me would have something negative to say about what I wore, people made sleights that Im jealous of the new bride or have feelings for the groom, or attention seeking for wearing white. There were a lot of side eyes and whispers so I just left before the dancing started.

I spoke to the bride and groom too btw and they didn't say anything about what I was wearing.

I just wore the dress because I knew to never wear the same color as the bride and I didn’t want to spend money on a new dress, but everyone acted like I committed a cardinal sin and even my friends mom, who’s usually super nice, said something about needing to approve my outfits to important functions in the future.

So AITA?

Edit 1: It wasn't an Indian wedding, sorry! We're all hella white, the bride just loved their outfits and wanted to be married in decorated skirt.

Edit 2: the dress https://www2.hm.com/en_asia1/productpage.1004820004.html

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 5, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You could even sell a "carrier" case

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Invisible Clergy posted:

It is still correct. Cis/trans is gender identity, though. Het/gay/bi/etc is orientation.

Yeah it's all kind of fucky tho because living in a society that rather arbitrarily assigns gender values to modes of expression and activities muddies the waters and brings up the dilemma of "do we try to legitimize, celebrate, and destigmatize the male expression of traditionally female things in a patriarchy that views such things as 'less then' (particularly when expressed/performed by a man), or do we just try to decouple them from notions of 'male' and 'female' to begin with?

I recently baked a big batch of chocolate chip cookies while drinking a beer while watching Robocop while wearing one of my girlfriend's spare sarongs because gently caress Australian summers. What gender was I performing, or does that question just sound faintly ridiculous?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Breetai posted:

Yeah it's all kind of fucky tho because living in a society that rather arbitrarily assigns gender values to modes of expression and activities muddies the waters and brings up the dilemma of "do we try to legitimize, celebrate, and destigmatize the male expression of traditionally female things in a patriarchy that views such things as 'less then' (particularly when expressed/performed by a man), or do we just try to decouple them from notions of 'male' and 'female' to begin with?

I recently baked a big batch of chocolate chip cookies while drinking a beer while watching Robocop while wearing one of my girlfriend's spare sarongs because gently caress Australian summers. What gender was I performing, or does that question just sound faintly ridiculous?

you didnt give me any of those cookies, so your gender is bastard

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

moonmazed posted:

you're supposed to wash your legs?????

nah man this threads just full of boring old biddies! anyway I'm pretty sure your legs don't sweat so there's no reason to wash them. it's obsessive

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Give the company that makes Dude Wipes, the product for wiping your soiled anus if your masculinity is too fragile to contemplate buying a non-gendered baby wipe like 5-10 years and they'll get there. I would go with Launch Pads. They could have little pictures of fighter planes on them.

e: beaten to dude wipes, smh.

That is an extremely cheap-looking dress for that price, good lord.

EDIT wait it's not in USD, I'm a big brain genius. Yeah, she goofed and wore something way too inexpensive/casual to a formal affair. The white is the least of the problems.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Invisible Clergy posted:

On one hand, that dress doesn't look nearly formal enough to fit a formal-wedding dress code, even were it not white.

On the other, I am deeply thrown off by the "hella white" bride getting married in Indian finery, so... who loving knows, chaos reigns

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for reporting my boyfriend's ex for smoking?

quote:

Hey, so i am in this situation and i dont know what to do and my brother reccomended i post here and i made an account, so here we go.

I am a junior in highschool and my boyfriend(Craig), his friends and his ex (Ronnie) are all seniors. Craig and Ronnie dated for about 8 months a year ago. He told me that they decided that they were better off friends and then 4 months ago we started dating. Im going to be honest, i really dont like Ronnie but she claims that she likes me and "that Craig and i work really well together." Shes loud and annoying and i personally dont like how close her and Craig are, given their history. I have told Craig that their relationship makes me uncomfortable and he said that he wouldnt stop being friends with her and encouraged me to maybe try to see past their history as they are no longer together and he doesnt see Ronnie like that anymore.

So a couple days ago, Ronnie told our friend group this "hilarious" story about how she hung out with a couple stoners on Monday and they smoked weed at the park behind the school. Everyone thought it was really funny but i didnt. I think that its really irresponsible and illeagal. They shouldnt have done it and lots of other kids who have done that got in serious trouble, why shouldnt she? So a couple days ago I reported Ronnie and she was called to the front office and one of Craig's friends told me that apparently she got in a lot of trouble. I was told she was suspended for a week and a letter was sent to the University she was going to go to.

Craig and his friends were really angry for Ronnie and said that she didnt deserve to now have her future comprimised. My friend who knew i reported her said that i should tell Craig because what i did was really lovely and i said that it didnt really matter that. Yesterday afternoon my friend told Craig and he was really mad at me and said that he never wanted to talk to me again and this was a petty bitchy thing to do. Hes now not speaking to me and i dont know what to do.

(sorry, i want to be clear, they didnt just suspend her on my word. they searched her locker and her bag and found weed in her bag)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mx. posted:

you didnt give me any of those cookies, so your gender is bastard

If you came over to eat the cookies you would need to come to Adelaide, so I did you a favour by not inviting you.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA For thinking my neighbors strange new hobby is going too far?

Deputy Donut is on the case!

holy poo poo an irl jim lahey

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

He also said talking to Stephanie Meyer once was bad enough he said he didn't want to be around her if possible. She talked to him like he was actually Edward from Twilight and he thought she might be actually insane.

He's probably got no shortage of women of all ages who genuinely think he's like that character and the moment he's normal and annoying the interest just fizzles.

A bit late, but Patterson is also responsible for tooling the Edward spin-off movie. He said that Meyer gave him an early copy of the book, and it was bat-poo poo insane and nothing he wanted to be a part of, and then "mysteriously" the early copy leaked to the press, so she called it off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

AITA for reporting my boyfriend's ex for smoking?

I was told she was suspended for a week and a letter was sent to the University she was going to go to

They wrote a letter to the uni she wanted to go to? Were these kids going to Jesus McBible High School?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Breetai posted:

From your post, I feel like we're on the same page and you're not trying to frame any of this as like, a gotcha. That one. Do that one. Assigning gender associations with arbitrary objects or activities is dumb and no one should do it. I know it's a bit of a process killing the mean dad in your head calling you slurs for cleaning under your fingernails or mailing someone a birthday card, but it doesn't mean doing it is pointless. They do it in Denmark by desegregating the toy aisle and letting kids of any gender buy houses or trucks or nerf guns and nothing terrible has happened.

quote:

To me, it does sound ridiculous because I choose not to view arbitrary things as gendered. I know not everyone feels that way, but I find it a much more pleasant way to live versus worrying everyone will take away my man card if I use an umbrella, wash my hands after using a bathroom, or decorate a pumpkin or whatever.

Sarongs are a great example. In India, for example, men and women both wear them, so they don't have a gendered association, but I gather from context this is not true in Australia. Associations can also be changed over time, like many women wear pants in everyday life so they have over the last 100 years or so lost their association of being a masculine object and now are neutral like a watch or hat. This is the ideal for all things.

The analogy I like to use when talking about this kind of stuff with people amenable to it and why I don't think framing innocuous poo poo this way is asking them what their political affiliation is and before they can answer telling them they can only select Cavalier or Roundhead. If they say they don't know what those are and they were going to say a third thing, or they're a history buff and know them but say their own values take parts of both groups or is a third completely unrelated thing, then I say "great, that's gender. That's how some people feel about male and female."

AITA for asking someone to stop watching a movie

quote:

Before saying YTA please read through.

On my plane ride today (5 hrs) I was in the middle seat in economy. About halfway through the flight, the person directly in front of me reclined their seat all the way back. This gave me full view of the person sitting to the left of the person in front of me…

Who was watching a movie that made me very uncomfortable.

Originally I tried to close my eyes, but I just kept picturing what was going on. When I opened my eyes, they were still watching the movie.

Honestly, I started to sob in my seat a little since I was having a panic attack so I got up and went to the back of the plane. The flight attendants asked what’s wrong and I explained the situation. They recommended I ask the guy in front of me to move their seat back to block my view or ask the person watching the movie to potentially move their seat back as well or change what they are watching.

I did the latter and the guy turned around and told me I shouldn’t be a Karen and tell him what he can or can’t watch. When I explained the imagery was uncomfortable and I’m fine for him to continue watching if he moves his seat back so I can’t see, he refused.

A flight attendant actually came over and asked him to stop watching it as well since, “that movie was getting removed from flights due to complaints for prior passengers.”

AITA for asking him? I feel awful but I did give him the option to continue watching.

Extra Info: This was a completely full flight so I couldn’t have moved/changed seats. The flight attendant I spoke to said this movie had been getting similar complaints since other adults and even children were being forced to watch it.
"You can't eat that! I'm on a diet!"

Not that it in any way matters, but Karen reveals the movie was No Country for Old Men in the comments.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 5, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Breetai posted:

...while wearing one of my girlfriend's spare sarongs because gently caress Australian summers.

Wearing sarongs, robes, tunics and other loose fitting clothes from non-anglo, hot climate cultures really needs to be destigmatised, because, as a guy who sweats with slightest provocation, gently caress Australian summers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Breetai posted:

If you came over to eat the cookies you would need to come to Adelaide, so I did you a favour by not inviting you.

oh. thank you i take back all aspersions cast

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling my SIL cruel for excluding her brother (My Husband) from her upcoming wedding?

I was stunned I called her cruel because this is her brother, and he never had malicious intentions towards her yet, she keeps getting offended and oversensitive over everything he does, at the end of the day they're family.
Uh, yeah he did. So many dudes out there identify as 'a bit of a prankster' because saying 'I'm a bit of a malicious sadist' wouldn't be as socially acceptable.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Americans are way too hung up on "formal" wear, that dress would look fine in a typical Israeli wedding, although yeah, white might be inappropriate if you're not the bride.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the only good pranks are things like the magic maple syrup bottle

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

value-brand cereal posted:

NTA simply because sp**k is a loving antiblack slur what the gently caress what the gently caress what the f

PSYCH they're still an rear end in a top hat for not using the right name. But still this is slightly forgiveable because, as I must reiterate, what the FUKC.

Also huge lol at everyone saying that word and at least not censoring it. Amazing

A few pages back, but.... Holy poo poo, you're a stupid one

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Blastedhellscape posted:

Uh, yeah he did. So many dudes out there identify as 'a bit of a prankster' because saying 'I'm a bit of a malicious sadist' wouldn't be as socially acceptable.

I dated a girl a few years back who described her brothers as "fond of pranks" and boy howdy did my hackles go up

e: I also dated someone who's idea of a "prank war" was leaving a slip of paper with a silly message on it hiding somewhere that you'd find it later (think eyeglass case) which was pretty endearing so idk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mediaphage posted:

In a similar vein, I was recently thinking of a gag gift my aunt and uncle gave me as a high school graduation present. Since I was moving from the desert to Portland they got me a set of really good raingear, the kind of thing you use for arctic ocean storms and hurricanes. They ran a clothing company at the time, so it was the Family Brand.

Funny, sentimental, and (eventually) useful all at the same time. Still has a space in my closet and has held up if I ever need it. That's a good kind of prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Americans are way too hung up on "formal" wear, that dress would look fine in a typical Israeli wedding, although yeah, white might be inappropriate if you're not the bride.

One of the many tools in the arsenal of the bridal/funeral/graduation/etc scam industry. God forbid people wear something they already own. Gotta buy more crap! :scrooge:

mediaphage posted:

I liked that one a lot.