Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

NATO appears to be logisticsing the gently caress out of the resupply effort while Western Ukraine isn't being harassed by Russian fighters yetz:

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1499875619387158531

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1499878290928066564

You know how I’m Star Trek the Federation is renowned for their engineers and technobabbling through a situation? This feels very much like that.

“Ukraine needs supplies? We’re going to lift 3 dozen kinds of supplies from 8 different countries and pass them through the Heisenberg compensators massively cooperate and coordinate their arrival on Ukraine’s doorstep.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hekk posted:

Don't post videos of children watching their dad bleed out in this thread. We know the Russians are good at war criming. If anyone is interested in watching snuff films, there are lots of places they can find that content.

I certainly respect that, and didn't mean to post it for the shock value of "oh my god dead bodies!" As someone with a legal background it is probably the most brazen war crime I have ever seen on video (sorry SOC Gallagher, you've been bested). This isn't the fog of war, or a car speeding around a blind corner at a checkpoint. It's soldiers engaging a civilian vehicle, known to be occupied, and stopped in the open. Good at war criming is an understatement.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If that thread is even remotely accurate....

Also, seriously? They bagged the general because he was out front losing his poo poo?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also, seriously? They bagged the general because he was out front losing his poo poo?

I think I read earlier that it's happened to 3 high-ranking officers, not sure of the ranks of the others though.

whda
Jul 4, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/RepHoulahan/status/1499740290650890241

I feel like a Democratic rep would know better than to call for something this stupid but it’s 2022 in the worst timeline.

Mount the A10 gun on a Lada technical instead.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

whda posted:

Mount the A10 gun on a Lada technical instead.

Doubles as a means of propulsion!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ukrainian snipers have incredible eyesight and accuracy.

One of them double-mag dumped Lt. Dickheadski while he was taking a dump between two APCs. Freaks of nature.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want to say this exact scenario has happened before in modern times but all I immediately found or recalled was Fraser at Saratoga which is probably more legend than reality.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I made a thing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
gently caress could you imagine dying trying to take a Ukrainian mud season poo poo?

Just embarrassing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499772906678767618?s=20&t=XUB03p4fyhQsP6OePKeD5Q

:staredog:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress could you imagine dying trying to take a Ukrainian mud season poo poo?

Just embarrassing.

Honestly it seems pretty on brand for Russian forces.

Speaking of ground conditions.

Yes it’s Azov we know we all know. Also I can’t confirm the footage so take it as you will.

Twitter translate posted:

The Russians are hiding their losses: the occupiers remain in Ukrainian soil

Reconnaissance of the Azov Regiment after the battle with the DRG of Russia filmed a video of Muscovites burying their dead on the outskirts of Mariupol. Buried at night, not in the cemetery, in ordinary pits without identification.

https://twitter.com/ua_industrial/status/1499675495016935424?s=21

The footage is just heat signatures, but heads up if you don’t wanna look at.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Presumably he was making himself a target by looking like he was in charge. Like why we don't salute on FOBs. The enemy can tell who is in charge by who is being saluted. But if you do have to salute an officer on a FOB at least have the common courtesy to call out "sniper check!"

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Like in that movie The Patriot, except it's the Ghost of Kyiv instead of the Ghost of the Santee.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have this weird conspiracy theory that the Russians keep seizing these nuke plants so they can be like "the Ukrainians are making nukes!" Then they're gonna light one up on their own guys in a false flag and use it as a justification to nuke Kyiv.

Of course with how they've been doing so far some Ukrainian would secretly livestream a bunch of Russian guys taking a warhead out of a box labeled "SECRET ATOM BOMB FOR SPEZNATZ TO PLANT TO FALSLEY INCRIMINATE UKRAINE"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Singapore is hitting them with sanctions now which hasn’t been done in decades.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-05/singapore-to-sanction-russia-in-almost-unprecedented-move

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/singapore-details-financial-sanctions-export-controls-russia-after-ukraine-invasion-2541026

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 5, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Elviscat posted:

I have this weird conspiracy theory that the Russians keep seizing these nuke plants so they can be like "the Ukrainians are making nukes!" Then they're gonna light one up on their own guys in a false flag and use it as a justification to nuke Kyiv.

This is way, way too plausible for comfort.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The way it flies, kind of reminds me of the lovely flying saucers, in plan nine from outer space.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hobbesmaster posted:

I want to say this exact scenario has happened before in modern times but all I immediately found or recalled was Fraser at Saratoga which is probably more legend than reality.

Wikipedia says:

quote:

Major General Sedgwick died at the beginning of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, on May 9, 1864. His corps was probing skirmish lines ahead of the left flank of Confederate defenses and he was directing artillery placements. Confederate sharpshooters were about 1,000 yards (900 m) away, and their shots caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover. Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying, "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line?" Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he said, "Why are you dodging like this? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."[6] Reports that he never finished the sentence are apocryphal, although the line was among his last words.[7] He was shot by a Whitworth rifle bullet moments later under the left eye and mortally wounded.

And Lieutenant General Simon Bolivar Buckner died during the battle of Okinawa but that was artillery fire and he wasn’t being foolish at the moment.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Putin has loving lost it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/04/putin-russia-ukraine-normalization-sanctions/

He even argued that Russia would benefit by developing new skills.

“We will just have to move some projects a little to the right, to acquire additional competencies. But we will still solve the problems that we face,” he said. “In the end, we will even benefit from this because we will acquire additional competencies.”

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I keep seeing this endless meme either expecting, encouraging, or assuming that Putin is going to die via a bullet from one of his cronies.

Look, this is a nice fantasy, and I kind of like it too. But the truth is, Putin is not the leader of Russia because he is the most gullible bastard out there. The Russian State Apparatus, like most dictatorships, is built around subservience to the dictator. Every single chain on the ladder owes its loyalty to Putin, usually through relations of money and influence. Think less Hitler running Germany and more Saddamn running Iraq. The entirety of the state is built in such a way as to prevent leadership change and move the benefits of the state to the loyal partners and supporters of the regime. That's how dictatorships operate: reward the people who are the pillars of your regime, destroy dissent, be incredibly distrustful to the point of paranoia.

Could Putin be unseated by something like a palace coup? Totally, but that wouldn't happen until things got extremely bad and by then Putin would be wary enough to know to watch for plotting. Could Putin be unseated by popular revolution? I don't think so. Venezuela is a country that has been in arguably worse economic straits than Russia for years, and yet Maduro is still 'running' the country in the same way Sears still has a CEO.

The only way that Ukraine wins this war is to prolong the conflict as long as possible. There is no way that I see that Putin will be removed from power.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/04/putin-russia-ukraine-normalization-sanctions/

“We will just have to move some projects a little to the right, to acquire additional competencies. But we will still solve the problems that we face,” he said. “In the end, we will even benefit from this because we will acquire additional competencies.”

Coming this spring: showers during lull periods and fresh-baked bread twice a day. For everyday regular Russian people in the wretched discomfortcomfort of their own home.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

how much would it suck to be the next guy down the line when this guy with the crazy muzzlebrake starts dumping belts???

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ragtime All The Time posted:

how much would it suck to be the next guy down the line when this guy with the crazy muzzlebrake starts dumping belts???

Did Shima join the foreign legion?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ragtime All The Time posted:

its okay we sent them a bunch of 3M earplugs

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The way it flies, kind of reminds me of the lovely flying saucers, in plan nine from outer space.

Back in like 2014-2015, there were a bunch of Syrian insurgent groups that got hooked up with TOW missiles, and they filmed just about every strike on Assad’s forces. Those guys were even less tactically proficient than the crop of aspiring sunflower seeds currently attacking Ukraine, and it was surreal watching something that looked like a dancing beach ball of death bouncing toward a crowd of massed infantry before seeing a big boom and chunks of people blown everywhere with a few survivors staggering away.

War sucks.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/wajobumusic/status/1499947477998395397?s=20

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Back in like 2014-2015, there were a bunch of Syrian insurgent groups that got hooked up with TOW missiles, and they filmed just about every strike on Assad’s forces. Those guys were even less tactically proficient than the crop of aspiring sunflower seeds currently attacking Ukraine, and it was surreal watching something that looked like a dancing beach ball of death bouncing toward a crowd of massed infantry before seeing a big boom and chunks of people blown everywhere with a few survivors staggering away.

War sucks.

Ugh I remember the video of a bunch of guys on a balcony or something getting gibbed

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I keep seeing this endless meme either expecting, encouraging, or assuming that Putin is going to die via a bullet from one of his cronies.

Look, this is a nice fantasy, and I kind of like it too. But the truth is, Putin is not the leader of Russia because he is the most gullible bastard out there. The Russian State Apparatus, like most dictatorships, is built around subservience to the dictator. Every single chain on the ladder owes its loyalty to Putin, usually through relations of money and influence. Think less Hitler running Germany and more Saddamn running Iraq. The entirety of the state is built in such a way as to prevent leadership change and move the benefits of the state to the loyal partners and supporters of the regime. That's how dictatorships operate: reward the people who are the pillars of your regime, destroy dissent, be incredibly distrustful to the point of paranoia.

Could Putin be unseated by something like a palace coup? Totally, but that wouldn't happen until things got extremely bad and by then Putin would be wary enough to know to watch for plotting. Could Putin be unseated by popular revolution? I don't think so. Venezuela is a country that has been in arguably worse economic straits than Russia for years, and yet Maduro is still 'running' the country in the same way Sears still has a CEO.

The only way that Ukraine wins this war is to prolong the conflict as long as possible. There is no way that I see that Putin will be removed from power.

This is the outcome I'm envisioning as well. There are some notable exceptions, but Soviet and Russian leaders have a long and proud history of staying in power until they sometimes quite literally die of old age despite instigating multiple horrific bloodbaths.

I hope this all ends soon, but I'm bracing for years of looking at my twitter feed and seeing apartment blocks being blown to bits by rocket artillery and wrecked Russian tanks.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 5, 2022

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

It's an older code Sir, but it checks out

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Marshal Prolapse posted:

He said almost the exact same poo poo in 2014 after the first round of sanctions when he announced the initial import replacement policy. As you can see, Russia has been doing great, even thriving, under sanctions, and this will be just as effective.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Ukrainians apparently re-took the nuclear power plant according to India today.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CainFortea posted:

I don't know how to pronounce those, so I'll take your word for it.

it's just a direct transliteration of journalist, basically

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/remingtonarms/status/1499884903676186633?s=21

*insert Remington joke*

That is cool though. Commercial arms and ammo production in this country could probably be supplying Ukraine small arms ammo for quite awhile.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Softface posted:

He said almost the exact same poo poo in 2014 after the first round of sanctions when he announced the initial import replacement policy. As you can see, Russia has been doing great, even thriving, under sanctions, and this will be just as effective.

The 2014 sanctions were barely sanctions. We quite literally froze their foreign currency reserves this time around.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/federalpremium/status/1499891814043631620?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

psydude posted:

The 2014 sanctions were barely sanctions. We quite literally froze their foreign currency reserves this time around.

Pre-invasion, it was completely unclear if Europe would even support *any* sanctions because of how energy-dependant they are on Russia. But apparently Biden and the administration had been doing the legwork since November to come up with a basic sanctions package, then the loving thing just accelerated so hard that companies are getting the gently caress out without prompting. And even some of the biting sanctions scheduled to hit in months are having these effects:

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1499938177221644294

And it's less that Putin has lost his mind, his tolerance for risk is just sky-high, his advisor circle is drastically smaller (and dumber), and he's insulated from sanctions pain and misjudged what the world would do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

NATO appears to be logisticsing the gently caress out of the resupply effort while Western Ukraine isn't being harassed by Russian fighters yetz:

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1499875619387158531

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1499878290928066564

20 years of sending everything from lobster to bullets to the middle of Central Asia has no doubt helped.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/remingtonarms/status/1499884903676186633?s=21

*insert Remington joke*

That is cool though. Commercial arms and ammo production in this country could probably be supplying Ukraine small arms ammo for quite awhile.

Figures that even in the middle of a long standing ammo shortage, still no one is buying remington ammo so they have a million rounds to send.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Figures that even in the middle of a long standing ammo shortage, still no one is buying remington ammo so they have a million rounds to send.

Sometimes I forget my shotgun and need to make do with white box .223.

I just wish the .223 was as accurate…