Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
At the same time though, yeah like you said, you can always be making progress. Yes, I have this enormous contraption I need to build, but if I’ve handled my production correctly, I can always chip away at it by automating the little tedious chores in the intermediate steps. So even if it takes days, I can make incremental progress. It’s very zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
meanwhile, I'm not smart enough to automate anything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same but i still try

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Lordshmee posted:

At the same time though, yeah like you said, you can always be making progress. Yes, I have this enormous contraption I need to build, but if I’ve handled my production correctly, I can always chip away at it by automating the little tedious chores in the intermediate steps. So even if it takes days, I can make incremental progress. It’s very zen.

A good quest book also helps. I doubt I would have stuck with GTNH over a year (and on a second playthrough, no less) if I didn't have the questbook breadcrumbing me along. I can make small, incremental progress towards an incredibly lofty goal without having to hold the whole of the pack in my head.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I used to be really bad at automating poo poo too, but playin OF really got me into doing it, mostly properly now! I did an almost complete play through where I mostly had active autocrafting (mostly requesting poo poo through AE2) with some passive especially as I progressed. But my second play through, I've really gotten a ton more passive autocrafting going. It's not that hard really, cause in order to build anything in this pack, you gotta do it by hand a couple times and you can start to see what you can have a simple machine do so you don't have to. Then you just move stuff around with pipes, and you can start to get real fancy and have machines output to each other, and use robot arms or limited item filters or impulse hoppers to put stuff into machines and just keep broadening the chains so you're now producing more complex things and add level emitters and/or AE2 crafting cards to throttle item output.

It seems daunting at first, but before playing this pack, the closest I got to automation was a chest as an input buffer and then one machine feeding another, for like ore doubling directly to ingots.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Where's the config thing in GTNH that makes Tinker tools cost more and more to repair over time? Is that even still in?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

Where's the config thing in GTNH that makes Tinker tools cost more and more to repair over time? Is that even still in?

I don't think there is a config to turn it off. It caps out at 2x material cost at least.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I always used a buy in bulk strategy.

Barrel in to hopper in to machine received by hopper into another barrel. Give it a few hours and you have 10k bronze plates or whatever.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I can’t remember, is it better for lag to spread your factory out over multiple chunks or to minimize chunks used? In other words, spread horizontally or vertically.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

everyone seems to say use more chunks/spread horizontally, i haven’t seen any actual technical explanation for this tho

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
When you're standing around at home it probably doesn't matter much, but if you chunkload you can design your stuff such that only certain things get loaded to possibly reduce overall CPU usage on a server by leaving unnecessary things offline. However 1.7's old enough that it probably has some weirdness about updates per chunk causing extra slowdowns if you're talking something like GTNH.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't recall anything specific about performance in that regards but I do recalls some auxiliary things:

1. Be careful with these huge-rear end packs when using less chunks that you don't hit the unique block/item limit in the chunk. So one reason to spread out is to dodge that bullet.
2. If spreading out, make sure the chunks are completely well-lit so you're not dealing with mobs. I know at least in the older versions that entities caused so much more burden just for existing than most machines and pipe stuff.

Edit: Speaking of entities, is there anything that can stop slimes specifically from spawning below 40? I keep getting a slime visitor from time to time and I looked it up. I guess they don't care about light levels.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Magnum torch or the like?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't recall anything specific about performance in that regards but I do recalls some auxiliary things:

1. Be careful with these huge-rear end packs when using less chunks that you don't hit the unique block/item limit in the chunk. So one reason to spread out is to dodge that bullet.
2. If spreading out, make sure the chunks are completely well-lit so you're not dealing with mobs. I know at least in the older versions that entities caused so much more burden just for existing than most machines and pipe stuff.

Edit: Speaking of entities, is there anything that can stop slimes specifically from spawning below 40? I keep getting a slime visitor from time to time and I looked it up. I guess they don't care about light levels.

In Control mod does that, maybe other similar things for later versions.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't figure out PackagedAuto. Consider:

A packager at the bottom
An unpackager on top of it
ME conduits along the right of them
An elite package crafter on one side of the unpackager
An advanced package crafter on another side of the unpackager
A pair of recipe holders containing the same recipes for stuff across the two packagers, with one in the packager and one in the unpackager

All items do show up in my terminal, but then I get an error that I'm missing the package for each of them. There was one exception: the advanced package crafter recipe for the reinforced mining laser works.

Can I not put the different package crafter on the same packager?

Black Pants posted:

In Control mod does that, maybe other similar things for later versions.

Huh I guess that would be server-side though so I'd have to poop out a custom pack just for that. Omnifactory has a mega torch that seems to prevent all hostile entity spawning so I'm going to be experimenting with that.

Edit: unpacker

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 13, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Don't the automated tables have to be touching the unpackager? My impression of how everything worked was that the packager bundled things up into a single item, then the unpackager took that packaged item and opened it up and deployed it to a crafting receptacle (so an automated package crafter table, an assembly line, etc).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't the automated tables have to be touching the unpackager? My impression of how everything worked was that the packager bundled things up into a single item, then the unpackager took that packaged item and opened it up and deployed it to a crafting receptacle (so an automated package crafter table, an assembly line, etc).

Yeah you're right and I screwed it up in the post. Unfortunately, I got it right in-game. I was really hoping that was it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I set up a second one and it just kind of worked. I don't know. :ghost:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I have to take back my initial impression of All The Magic: Spellbound. It's really cool getting to gently caress with all these mods. Not in love with some of the endgame stuff still, but we'll see how it goes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Echophonic posted:

Hi, excuse me All The Magic: Spellbound, but what the gently caress

This is one of the nine insane things you need to make a ProjectE Philosophers Stone. "Gated" is certainly a euphemism for it.

:hmmyes:
This seems balanced to me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

there are so many expert mode packs. i want an easy mode pack. i want a full stack of diamonds on day 2

actually now that i think about it, this was just big dig from technic
:tipshat:
I think you should play PLUS+ the plus sized mod pack with Equivilant Exchange and 5x ores

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
On todays episode of "How OP Is It?"

How much power can a single Mekanism Fusion Reactor make?
I honestly don't know. I could build more boilers and turbines but at this point I've run into limits of energy transfer.

Single fusion reactor to 2 thermo boilers, to 12 turbines. Power is handled by Flux Networks and fluids are moved by high pressure pipes. Flux networks used to do unlimited transfer, but now have an internal buffer of 2.1 billion :/

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
This seems balanced to me

It's pretty fun so far. Though, I will admit, it's very "are a bad enough dude to hit yourself in the dick with a hammer" sometime. We're at the end of Astral Sorcery, ElementalCraft, Psi, Occultism, and Mana and Alchemy. I kinda gave up on the to-do list after the dozenth sign.

Mana and Alchemy is really cool, one of my new favorites once I got the hang of it. I can't get the ritual pouch to work, which has been a little annoying, but the overall vibe is really enjoyable. It's a vert interesting take on the kind of arcanist magic system Wizardry does. The spells are pretty solid, have fun effects, and the mobs and materials are cool. Blows Wizardry out of the water, more spell options, they actually do things you want them to do, and they look really neat.

Also mixing and matching cosmetics is pretty cool. The hat is a set of spinning runes around my head from M&A's armor. It's an All the Mods pack, so we're in that OP stuff, but cosmetics are always fun.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some power generation I should get into after fission but before fusion or draconic stuff? I got to the point of dealing with enderium stuff and had a few LuV-tier machines going pretty regularly, and this took everything over its limit. I think I could go all the way to the last tier of solar panels before you have to blast them with magic moon beam energy but then I'd need a lot of battery capacity to carry that power overnight. I also have something like 30 numismatic dynamos and hope to not keep leaning on that.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Upgraded numis?

I have several diesel generators goin as well as a bunch of numis. And solar gen really does become viable, cause it's not too terrible to make a lot of them. Also I haven't used them, but I've seen that plasma generators are pretty good.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have the numis up to signalum already and I can see why they're getting cost-prohibitive at the resonant ender tier; I need to be getting into draconic stuff to even make them and I believe I'll have better power generation from that mod when I get there.

I'm also near plasma generation but not quite there. I'm not sure what all I need to actually start on fusion. I'm something like 40% through the late-game quests but I haven't starting on draconic stuff.

What I think is eating a lot of power right now is the LuV-tier furnaces making enderium ingots. They only needed MV-tier, but I put LuV-tier energy inputs and CEFs on the 4x furnaces because it was going to take over 1,000 seconds to make each ingot if I kept to MV tier. I dropped down to EV tier and it looks like I can sustain that and the autocrafting that comes with it by adding 12 signalum-tier numis. I guess I could also massively parallelize but then I'm blowing through naquadah like crazy to make all the coils for all the furnaces.

There were a few other things I did along the way. My thorium dust source now distributes to a pile of thermal centrifuges using round-robin where it would just pile up before. This improved making TBU fuel for the fission reactor. I also dropped some more RTGs that do 400RF/t since I had a surplus of the materials. Hopefully, this gives me enough slack to set up a rig to make solar power generators that go up to the final non-draconic tier tomorrow.

I see the gripes people have in Omnifactory about a kind of missing middle between numis and the late-tier power generation. That could be filled with Nuclearcraft in different ways but they opted not to for whatever reason. I also set myself up for this thanks to the massive amount of active autocrafting I have and the power demands from this huge AE2 network. I still think this was the better way to go. Despite all this fiddling, I don't have to wait long to get anything.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, they still haven't really fixed that yet. Solar arrays are a stop gap, and you need to build them anyway for later tier stuff, so it really doesn't hurt to build a ton and use them now.

Have you built a processing array yet? 16 thermal centrifuges in a 3x3x3 machine. I'm in the process of converting my ore processing chain to use them too. Really glad they added them. I'm dumb and only use them for a single thing, but there's ways to make them run multiple patterns with the same machine (extruded, etc).

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i think i’m slightly ahead of you rocko (ZPM, assembly lines, mk1 fusion) and while i stayed on numis for too long, i’m still pretty happy with fission for the time being. the “ebin” reactor design from the discord puts out 2.2m rf/t on thorium, and switching from building separate numi grids for every new wing of the factory to a single superconducting conduit backbone results in a surprisingly huge energy buffer so i can spike over 2m rf/t during long ZPM assline crafts

i’m doing this on a dedicated server though, so my IV chunkloaded passive production churns away overnight and i have many thousands of ingots/circuits/etc stocked up. so if you’re active-play-only your power needs are probably different

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I checked some stuff. I saw the 2.2MRF design. I have a 7x7x7 right now that does 540kRF, which I think is right around what a signalum conduit can carry. The 2.2MRF design was something like 14 in height and I didn't check the other dimensions. I could make it work across floors in my base but it would be a bit of work. Also, I don't know even with the enderium tier of conduit if I could carry that output. I was thinking of just having another 7x7x7 for highly-enriched fuels. I seem to be pulling in those higher-fuel isotopes more than the base ones so I would be better off making things like HEU fuel.

I do have processing arrays managing some of my TMU fuel creation but I haven't finished converting everything to it. I only actually run out of thorium fuel when my power is ganked and random machines lose their supply.

I think I read that the newer nightlies/Nomifactory tweaked the Nuclearcraft settings so they output more as an intermediate stage so I'm trying to get moved up to that. It was changed in early January from what I saw, but I don't know how much and/or what was changed. Like, if the molten salt reactors were added as the step instead or something.

I am playing on some spare Disasterpiece Theatre server all alone right now so I can let it run. I should post something about that server once it's updated.

Regarding solar panels: I built machinery to automate up to tier 5 IIRC; maybe tier 6. I got bogged down at the crazy iridium ingot that has to go through the implosion compressor. I was in a decent rhythm until that rolled in.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm having a heck of a time with Horologium crafting in Astral Sorcery. I have the constellation in the sky, if the attunement altar is to be believed, I have plenty of starlight, but stuff just won't craft. I was trying to do the Mantle of Stars and one of the ATM star items and neither get to the part where you put items on relays. Really drat annoying.

Of course, now that I've complained, the next night (without the constellation in the sky) the Mantle attunement works. Probably something to do with the custom recipe, then, I guess.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 28, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Waiting for Constellations is by far the worst part of AS and unless you have Blood Magic or DE there's no really fast way to skip days. At least the rest of the mod makes up for it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'l looking at the custom Kubejs recipe and it's got I'm trying to figure out how long this is supposed to take. It says 800, which I assume is ticks. I've sat for minutes with this, so it's clearly something up.

I'm just gonna cheat it in and dump the components, this is dumb.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Also, I don't know even with the enderium tier of conduit if I could carry that output.

i think you should be able to sprint to draconium smelting and then superconducting conduit and end the multiple circuit pain (it feels so good)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I never particularly minded multiple circuits as transforming down a tier allowed you to run 64 machines off n+1 tier power input.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to figure out the "circuit" thing here. I just have CEFs galore and run EnderIO conduits everywhere. I'm not using GT wiring with transformers or anything like that. I just came to hate Gregtech's transference mechanics after trying to deal with turbines in GT:NH. The problem with the EnderIO conduits is they don't freely adapt between each other. All I've found to work between them are capacitors. I've asked before and gotten nowhere with that and just assumed that's how it goes.

Nonetheless, sprinting for the superconducting stuff sounds like the way to go. I'm almost done with my solar panel machinery and then I can deal with that. I think what blocks me on draconic evolution is cetane-boosted diesel. I just never bothered with it but I saw it as a pre-req. I think I'm just one machine from making it so maaaybe I should do that first when I log in again . . .

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Nitro diesel is really easy to automate, there's several ways to do it based on what you're already set up for. And yeah either way you HAVE to automate nitro diesel cause it's needed for draconium, and draconium also needs liquid cryotheum for the vacuum freezer, so you'll need to automate that too. That's trivial though, but also you should be automating all of the elemental dusts, they're needed for a bunch of stuff but especially nether stars.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have cryo thanks to active cooling a reactor. I didn't get to nitro diesel last night since I was out of light fuel. I forgot what I was doing with it all. So I just made a poo poo ton of oil sands from a pile of omnipennies and sent it through processing. I guess I should eventually just do the drilling rig if I'm going need sustained amounts of it though.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You really don't need that much diesel, the questbook way overstates how much is required, especially if you set up ender dragon DMRs instead of using the less efficient draconium dust route.

If you're still struggling with power and you've got fusion mk1s you should really just look into plasma into GT turbines as a power source (with rose gold fans). Once you get mk2s you can make nickel plasma which is more efficient but you can set up an array of generators that can consume either, which is what I used until endgame. Oxygen plasma from one reactor will supply 16 plasma turbines, and nickel will supply 53 producing 8,727,616 RF/t.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 2, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wish I would have known Ars Nouveau was so cool and useful. I spent a fuckload of time on the stylish, yet incredibly inflexible Mana and Artifice. The entire rote system just means you have to spend a ton of time making and spamming spells. Ars Nouveau? you just make a glyph once and you're good to go to mix and match. M&A has some cool stuff like block animation, but it's just terrible besides being cute.

We've had an Elementalcraft farming setup for our Mystical Agriculture plants for ages, but it kinda sucked and was very reliant on not stressing the element source too much. I replaced it with an incredibly cheap Bookwyrm, powered by the drat plants it's harvesting via a source collector that uses growth ticks. Works a thousand times better and all it took was some mid-tier materials for the crafting setup.

Mana and Artifices Lodestar programming for golems seems like it could be a cool system, but golems are somehow more finicky than Thaumcraft's. Also they don't work on Mystical Agriculture crops, which seems like a major oversight.

And how could you not love this boy:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Wish I would have known Ars Nouveau was so cool and useful. I spent a fuckload of time on the stylish, yet incredibly inflexible Mana and Artifice. The entire rote system just means you have to spend a ton of time making and spamming spells. Ars Nouveau? you just make a glyph once and you're good to go to mix and match. M&A has some cool stuff like block animation, but it's just terrible besides being cute.

We've had an Elementalcraft farming setup for our Mystical Agriculture plants for ages, but it kinda sucked and was very reliant on not stressing the element source too much. I replaced it with an incredibly cheap Bookwyrm, powered by the drat plants it's harvesting via a source collector that uses growth ticks. Works a thousand times better and all it took was some mid-tier materials for the crafting setup.

Mana and Artifices Lodestar programming for golems seems like it could be a cool system, but golems are somehow more finicky than Thaumcraft's. Also they don't work on Mystical Agriculture crops, which seems like a major oversight.

And how could you not love this boy:

I've been wanting to try out Ars Nouveau when I have the time, is the ingame guide good enough to get you through the mod?