Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wonder how the massive portions of the country where on-street parking is the norm are supposed to charge their electric cars.

Oh well, nothing outside of Mountain View counts

If only there were other ways to charge your car. Alas, it's a shame batteries cannot hold a charge for longer than a day and must be charged every night. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If only there were other ways to charge your car. Alas, it's a shame batteries cannot hold a charge for longer than a day and must be charged every night. :smith:

Indeed, any suggestions?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Indeed, any suggestions?

you idiot, poors who can't afford a house with a charger should just get new jobs that have electric car charging for free in their parking lot

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

you idiot, poors who can't afford a house with a charger should just get new jobs that have electric car charging for free in their parking lot

I don't drive to work

I haven't driven to work in over a decade

next suggestion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
take the bus

you car still won't get charged unless you drive it to a charger or whatever, but you know, at least you won't have to worry about charging your car

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I don't drive to work

I haven't driven to work in over a decade

next suggestion

why are you acting like that was a serious post

in that vein just stick some solar panels on top

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a car that recharges in about 3 minutes at any of about 150,000 charging stations around the country.

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

why are you acting like that was a serious post

Because you're absurd joke post is no different than their serious posts

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i have a car that recharges in about 3 minutes at any of about 150,000 charging stations around the country.

way to humblebrag about driving on dictator juice

instead of fracking juice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
idiot tech “journalist” dieter bohn is leaving the verge to join… google’s platforms & ecosystems group. finally, Android and other Google products will have input from a guy who gets paid to write about the latest lovely Android tablet.

https://twitter.com/backlon/status/1499807054013218817

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
dead man walking

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

clearly what google needs is more idea guys with no product management experience

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also the egotism that some bloggers have in writing a farewell letter

nobody gives a gently caress dude, go work somewhere else it's fine

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

also the egotism that some bloggers have in writing a farewell letter

nobody gives a gently caress dude, go work somewhere else it's fine

tech blogs are total unreadable trash anymore and I don't look at any of that poo poo, half of it is "I think x should do y" and the other half is "here's a render I made that Apple may make", both of these things are completely loving worthless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's not fair, at least a third to 50% are reprinted press packets on promoted products and "deal roundups" through affiliate links

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

that's not fair, at least a third to 50% are reprinted press packets on promoted products and "deal roundups" through affiliate links

i used to do this sort of thing and always played a game of spotting words from press materials that are emailed out in the written articles.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i love a list of affiliate links to eight of the same AliExpress product, each with a different brand name attached to it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i love a list of affiliate links to eight of the same AliExpress product, each with a different brand name attached to it

one thing i've noticed is that amazon has started to incorporate these lists into their search results pages, and it's extremely absurd. like, a list of the best (read: most expensive bulk packs) of toilet paper, provided by askmen.com

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i used to do this sort of thing and always played a game of spotting words from press materials that are emailed out in the written articles.

there's a few where you'll see the same article and press shots show up on multiple sites within an hour or so of each other

it took me like 2 days to realize gmg writers were on strike this week because the only obvious difference on g/o media sites was slightly more tagged promotional content

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 6, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there's a few where you'll see the same article and press shots show up on multiple sites within an hour or so of each other

it took me like 2 days to realize gmg writers were on strike this week because the only obvious difference on g/o media sites was slightly more tagged promotional content

don't send traffic to their sites

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay.

i mean i'm not going there now that i'm aware they're on strike, i just didn't know and the only reason i though to look it up was there was nothing but shilling and partner content as opposed to almost nothing but shilling and partner content

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

okay.

i mean i'm not going there now that i'm aware they're on strike, i just didn't know and the only reason i though to look it up was there was nothing but shilling and partner content as opposed to almost nothing but shilling and partner content

gizmodo has sucked for a really long time anyway. the attitude of their writers at conventions and poo poo is honestly unbearable

i don’t mean the stupid pranks at ces, more like the ‘do you know who i am’ type

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, lol.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
i wrote a FAQ before I launched one of my sites, and a few tech sites copied whole paragraphs verbatim.

the only one that reached out to me for direct questions was ars technica.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
considering replacing my pixel 3 with an iphone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you should do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Forums Medic posted:

considering replacing my pixel 3 with an iphone

if you want a phone that works good as a phone, this is an excellent choice

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I almost never use my iphone as just a phone. don't call me.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

message me on teams

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

I almost never use my iphone as just a phone. don't call me.

lol my phone icon is in a folder because of how rarely i use it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having finally gone on iphone myself the main changes are: a bit worse ux for the most part (!), but a monumental breath of relief that it feels like the vendor is now on your side when it comes to ad and privacy matters. more noticeable than one expects from the overall experience even.

the device itself is also real nice and another bit of peace of mind that it wont be made unusable before i am ready to replace it anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do like how for centuries if you wanted to communicate with anybody at a distance you wrote them a letter, and then we had about 60 years (maybe 30 if you're talking internationally) where you had to talk to the person in real time, which was awful, and now we've settled back into sending letters as the default with the real-time thing reserved only for people you actually care about.

There are few things as aggravating as a boomer sending an email that says "give me a call, I have something I want to talk to you about."

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the bell format of boomer communications

title: mr. watson

body: come here. i want to see you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

i recall an article looking back at the companies marissa mayer acquired during her run at yahoo. she spent yahoos dwindling cash hoard going on a spree purchasing just the most random collection of companies, almost all of which ending up getting written down to zero in short order

turns out, almost all of those companies were headed up by people she had directly worked with at google or were fellow stanford classmates

she got to yahoo, saw that it was probably in an unrecoverable state, and decided to just shower its money on doing favors for her friends

lmao

don't forget the lavish parties she threw where she made everyone dress up as characters from her favorite movie. her favorite movie is wizard of oz because she's a big child

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

the bell format of boomer communications

title: mr. watson

body: come here. i want to see you

unless it's:

subject: mr watson come here. i want to see you.

body:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

i recall an article looking back at the companies marissa mayer acquired during her run at yahoo. she spent yahoos dwindling cash hoard going on a spree purchasing just the most random collection of companies, almost all of which ending up getting written down to zero in short order

turns out, almost all of those companies were headed up by people she had directly worked with at google or were fellow stanford classmates

she got to yahoo, saw that it was probably in an unrecoverable state, and decided to just shower its money on doing favors for her friends

lmao

when she had a kid, she had a full nursery built adjacent to her office and then proceeded to ban working from home because "look, i have a kid and i manage to come into the office! it's so easy!"

and never forget how, after firing a huge chunk of the company, she spent millions on a vanity book for the remaining employees that was just pictures of her with some bullshit text about how "the yahoos will rise again"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The_Franz posted:

and never forget how, after firing a huge chunk of the company, she spent millions on a vanity book for the remaining employees that was just pictures of her with some bullshit text about how "the yahoos will rise again"

it's called leadership

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think also the concept of talking on the telephone didn't keep up with cell phones. having the phone interrupt you was less annoying when you could just ignore it and say you missed the call, and leave the house and have that literally be true. now people can invade your life on their whims, and depending on who it is, it could be insulting or dangerous to your career if you don't allow that invasion.

the idea that anyone should be reachable instantly 24/7 is toxic and the people who get upset when you ignore their call or text are abusive.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 7, 2022

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
thanks everyone for the advice i bought a samsung galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i never listen to a voicemail. i don’t think my carrier supports just disabling it entirely but i’m going to look into it