Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
My Russian is elementary school tier dogshit but I'm pretty sure that's not what they start saying around 1:05 lol

"Lots of European leaders die by assassinations, when you really think about it" is an interesting topic

edit: I want to emphasize I am starting off understanding like 1/3 of what they are saying and then rewatching over and over in an attempt to fill in more context so uuh why am I even posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The New York Times reports that fourteen cargo planes carrying military aid landed near Ukraine's border on Friday, with the weapons to be transferred into the country.

Probably more poo poo than Russia was able to bring into Ukraine that day.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

You are best off to ignore Russian tv propagandist doing improv until the time comes to laugh at them crawling and saying sorry. You won't get any clue about Kremlin mindset from them its not Trump repeating what he saw on Fox minutes earlier.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

The majority of the missiles that Germany shipped were ancient Strelas from DDR stocks, meaning they have been rotting in some depot for decades. Not a surprise that they are in such condition, considering the overall state of the Bundeswehr.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kavros posted:

We're all friends here... [uncomfortable mumbling]

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” Kevin McCarthy, the second-ranking House Republican, told his colleagues during the meeting. Some of those colleagues then laughed, and McCarthy added: “Swear to God.”

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1500007076814278656?s=20&t=CPo5K4bqtqhiOvcA78Othg

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

This is now the third time I saw a major news network interviewed a Nazi they called a "freedom fighter". They are few in the government but do seem more common in fighting the separatists.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Hammerstein posted:

The majority of the missiles that Germany shipped were ancient Strelas from DDR stocks, meaning they have been rotting in some depot for decades. Not a surprise that they are in such condition, considering the overall state of the Bundeswehr.

They were officially marked as not save for use in 2012 and there was an article early this year about the fact that the storage of them is a danger for the depot and the people working there. Before that they were used as exercise equipment. I have no idea why we offered them to Ukraine.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Anubis posted:

You just gotta walk 50' from the convoy to maybe dig a hole and take a dump in the middle of a field but it's all loving mud so every time you try to wander away the ground attempts to eat your boot so those loving guys keep doing it closer and closer to the loving road and now it's day 3 the flies are starting to hatch and are super happy about this new food supply.

Stuck in the raspootitsa

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I ate expired rations, now I got the raspu-shits-a

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is now the third time I saw a major news network interviewed a Nazi they called a "freedom fighter". They are few in the government but do seem more common in fighting the separatists.

A lot more could be done to actually denazify Ukraine if there wasn't a threat of Russian invasion for 8 years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
*ongoing

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I've tried the non-expired rations and they still made me sick

I think it was the cured pork fatback

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Has anyone posted the amazing clip of the guy from the Rand Paul Institute on Indian tv yet?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I have been thinking of this part a lot lately.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 5, 2022

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There is a total war going on, yeah. You're gonna take what help you can get and for some curious reason the extreme right are exceptionally motivated to to go and shoot at some invading Russians, so, uh, maybe Western sensibilities aren't the first thing on top of their minds right now.

e: to be clear, i don't approve of it, but it's pretty understandable

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Missing Name posted:

I've tried the non-expired rations and they still made me sick

I think it was the cured pork fatback

Steve1989 from MREInfo would have smacked his lips and said: Gourmet

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

GaussianCopula posted:

They were officially marked as not save for use in 2012 and there was an article early this year about the fact that the storage of them is a danger for the depot and the people working there. Before that they were used as exercise equipment. I have no idea why we offered them to Ukraine.

Does the German military have more modern manpads in use? Which also didn't require training? My guess is it was what was available.

Didn't Germany also send some really capable AT weapons as well?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Trump posted:

Does the German military have more modern manpads in use? Which also didn't require training? My guess is it was what was available.

They do and according to Politico and Times of Israel they also shipped 500 Stingers and a number of unspecified AT weapons to Ukraine. What worries me is that someone in the Bundeswehr administration saw the conflict as an opportunity to also get rid of old garbage like the Strelas.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Steve1989 from MREInfo would have smacked his lips and said: Gourmet

the man is on another plane of existence and immune system. The Russian rations he's eaten haven't had that cursed salo though. Yet.

We should have the captured expired crates shipped his way

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kavros posted:

Putin has had incredible success with the firehose model of propaganda, and could have continued to utilize it to great effect. But autocratic backslide is all-consuming, and now he's the latest, greatest dictator to be institutionally and/or mentally unable to abide letting any dissenting viewpoints exist.

So it goes.

It just seems so dumb to me. Russia has no real future even if Putin wins completely in Ukraine. Russia needs real, productive business to live, domestic expertise, they need basically stuff that can give people jobs and reason to stay in Russia, reasons for people to start families, the ability to make stuff that could be exported to the world other than raw materials.

If Russia wants to be a world leader, it needs to be built on a solid foundation of something productive. Starting with investing in schools, universities, research & development and investment into domestic businesses with promise, these are the things that creates wealth and stability for a nation. Instead Russia just relies on fossil fuel exports and its army, which it is less and less able to keep working and up to date so it just keeps getting more obsolete, good example is that they have to use civilian chinese walkie talkies. There's no russian infrastructure left for producing their own stuff. That's the kind of stuff they need to be able to produce and develop. Their army is only ever as good as the society it's backed up by. The US didn't win the cold war because it had the bigger army, it won because it had the bigger economy. Putin doesn't seem to understand this, or Russia is too corrupt to steer in that direction.

In starting this war they also scuttled one of their few remaining high tech industries that was actually doing well abroad and was a global leader in developing new tech. That is their nuclear industry, Rosatom was doing really well, their VVER-1200 reactor was as good as anything the west got and was built across the world on time and inside budget, they where also the leaders in breeder reactors, running two reactors on a commercial bassis and developing a commercial breeder for mass production. But after this I don't think Rosatom is gonna be able to do much business outside Russia anymore and they will have less moneu to pursue their goals. Russia looks like it's gonna keep relying on it's increasingly obsolete army until the shell of Russia can't support it anymore.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 5, 2022

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Potemkin villages armies of the world.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So, these humanitarian ceasefire routes. How long before it becomes a slaughter? The Russians have agreed to 5 hours of peace. Do we really think folks bombing full apartment blocks are going to let civilians go free?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

It just seems so dumb to me. Russia has no real future even if Putin wins completely in Ukraine. Russia needs real, productive business to live, domestic expertise, they need basically stuff that can give people jobs and reason to stay in Russia, reasons for people to start families, the ability to make stuff that could be exported to the world other than raw materials.

Not really? The only people he needs are resource extraction maintenance, administration and security. Everyone else is new humans generation or dead weight.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Trump posted:

Germany uses Stingers under the name of "Fliegerfaust 2" as their regular MANPADS. It was suggested by some people on Twitter that the 500 of those we already send to Ukraine were the total stock the Bundeswehr was able to part with without suffering severy lack themselves.

But that isn't a very good reason to send a shitload of rotting wood crates with chemical waste to Ukraine.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1500016881310355462?t=nnUNDSuTnnFEKsoyeCwMKg&s=19

christ lol

...this humanitarian column isn't going to last, is it

e: christ lol
vvvvvv

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 5, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Google today lists 1 RUB as 0.0081 USD. It was 0.013 USD before this, which means a 38% drop.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

His Divine Shadow posted:

If Russia wants to be a world leader, it needs to be built on a solid foundation of something productive. Starting with investing in schools, universities, research & development and investment into domestic businesses with promise, these are the things that creates wealth and stability for a nation. Instead Russia just relies on fossil fuel exports and its army, which it is less and less able to keep working and up to date so it just keeps getting more obsolete, good example is that they have to use civilian chinese walkie talkies. There's no russian infrastructure left for producing their own stuff. That's the kind of stuff they need to be able to produce and develop. Their army is only ever as good as the society it's backed up by. The US didn't win the cold war because it had the bigger army, it won because it had the bigger economy. Putin doesn't seem to understand this, or Russia is too corrupt to steer in that direction.

In starting this war they also scuttled one of their few remaining high tech industries that was actually doing well abroad and was a global leader in developing new tech. That is their nuclear industry, Rosatom was doing really well, their VVER-1200 reactor was as good as anything the west got and was built across the world on time and inside budget, they where also the leaders in breeder reactors, running two reactors on a commercial bassis and developing a commercial breeder for mass production. But after this I don't think Rosatom is gonna be able to do much business outside Russia anymore and they will have less moneu to pursue their goals. Russia looks like it's gonna keep relying on it's increasingly obsolete army until the shell of Russia can't support it anymore.

It always baffled me why Putin doesn't look toward the China model in terms of building a "modern Russian economy".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

fatherboxx posted:

Not really? The only people he needs are resource extraction maintenance, administration and security. Everyone else is new humans generation or dead weight.
I would not assume immortality for the man, especially given what he has done with the Russian army.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Most of the developed world is planning to have largely moved away from fossil fuels by mid century. Even today, renewables are already cheaper than fossil fuel plants. Electric vehicles are expected to reach price parity with combustion ones in the next 3-4 years and then slowly displace them front thr market. It's completely unclear if it's still going to be feasible to run such an extensive petro state in 30 years. Russia needs something else apart from fossil fuels to not revert to poverty.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It always baffled me why Putin doesn't look toward the China model in terms of building a "modern Russian economy".

They are two very different countries

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Most of the developed world is planning to have largely moved away from fossil fuels by mid century. Even today, renewables are already cheaper than fossil fuel plants. Electric vehicles are expected to reach price parity with combustion ones in the next 3-4 years and then slowly displace them front thr market. It's completely unclear if it's still going to be feasible to run such an extensive petro state in 30 years. Russia needs something else apart from fossil fuels to not revert to poverty.

Thats enough time for current leadership to secure generational wealth for their grandchildren and sell off land and serfs to an interested investor

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I am going to spend time in hell for this but every time I see the new :ukraine: I see the sunflowers as excellent goatse material.

Maybe on a Russian flag background

I'm sorry

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

VorpalBunny posted:

So, these humanitarian ceasefire routes. How long before it becomes a slaughter? The Russians have agreed to 5 hours of peace. Do we really think folks bombing full apartment blocks are going to let civilians go free?

the russians mostly respected the humanitarian corridors even as they pulled grozny down brick by brick in the 94 siege, so...it's possible?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
'Mostly respected' ?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

Google today lists 1 RUB as 0.0081 USD. It was 0.013 USD before this, which means a 38% drop.

Can someone convert that into Target budget brand toilet paper sheets for me please?

Re a ceasefire: call me a cynic but it might be convenient time to call a ceasefire when you’ve run out of fuel/food/ammunition and are waiting on a resupply.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
cities are big places

tens of thousands of refugees fleeing is still consistent with a few hundred people getting blown up on the way, sadly

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Unlike China, Russia didn't have an enormous pool of young underemployed liability labour to exploit.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't know if you can even keep lovely Soviet equipment alive for 30+ years, but if you can, then it wasn't really a priority here. The Strelas are not used by the Bundeswehr and are just surplus equipment someone kept around in a warehouse for god knows what reasons.

Seems like a lot of wasted cargo volume that could have been used for something else instead of garbage the Bundeswehr wanted to dump.

https://twitter.com/mgerrydoyle/status/1499293651306160129

https://twitter.com/mgerrydoyle/status/1499295754929983488

https://twitter.com/Phozz4/status/1499296159537549315

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Small White Dragon posted:

IIRC it was about 0.04 USD pre-war, so it's lost about 80% of its value. That's fast approaching "wheelbarrows of cash/using scientific notation to work out your household budget" levels of economically hosed. Wonder how many broke brained cryptoleeches are trying to "buy the dip" right now