Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao we just got a very sincere HAPPY EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION DAY!!! email from management where they didn't even bother to spell "appreciation" correctly. I am feeling very apreciate, thanks :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao we just got a very sincere HAPPY EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION DAY!!! email from management where they didn't even bother to spell "appreciation" correctly. I am feeling very apreciate, thanks :allears:

not even a pizza party? gift card to Little Caesars?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought Employee Appreciation Day happened every month, on pay day

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Apparently we will be doing "special activities" to celebrate throughout the month, which is incredibly ominous

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My job hired an outside firm to administer an employee survey and then after the survey there was a survey about the survey

The future is lame

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I thought Employee Appreciation Day happened every month, on pay day

The email helpfully includes the Fun Fact that it's originally from this book:

which is already great, but while looking for that I found out there's a revised edition that replaces that conspicuous mention of "time off" on the cover with:

Secret tricks on to get those DARN LAZY MILLENNIALS working!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Oh boy do I love being treated to a Case Study

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao the back is even better

Wow, free snow removal once a month, this is much better than a raise, thanks. Though I do like that Zappos idea, I wonder if they still do that.

Also man I would hate to work for Bob Nelson's stupid consulting firm, christ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“money isn’t everything” is in quotes now too :thunk:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

Apparently we will be doing "special activities" to celebrate throughout the month, which is incredibly ominous

I hope you get to play Red Rover and Heads Up Seven Up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The look inside is full of the exact sort of sociopath weirdness I was expecting

Paying employees for doing a good job is bad, actually:

Employees expect to be thanked for their good work, an alien concept we need to explain and justify to you:

That section goes on for several pages explaining how these hu-mans have a desire for knowing they're doing a good job and don't respond well to being yelled at, concluding with:

He did his business school doctoral thesis on "do you like it when people say you're doing a good job y/n". :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Update: pizza party has been confirmed

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lol@ bonus.ly

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Shame Boy posted:

The look inside is full of the exact sort of sociopath weirdness I was expecting

A culture of unnecessary spending?

But I thought Money Isn't Everything™ so why does it matter if a little bit of money is unnece-- oh, oh! Money isn't everything to the employee ohohoho :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I wonder what his opinion on commissions and royalties are.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

It's funny because yeah, there's plenty of evidence out there that more dollar doesn't necessarily make for better performance or "motivation." But it all has this big loving asterisk that the person receiving remittance has the material resources to live a comfortable, happy life already. Which studies show starts kicking in around $75,000 adjusted for inflation.

It's a master class in cherry picking your facts.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Warmachine posted:

It's funny because yeah, there's plenty of evidence out there that more dollar doesn't necessarily make for better performance or "motivation." But it all has this big loving asterisk that the person receiving remittance has the material resources to live a comfortable, happy life already. Which studies show starts kicking in around $75,000 adjusted for inflation.

I think this is bullshit, personally. I've had enough exposure to salespeople (not me) who are making well into six figures (and occasionally seven), and they all seem more than willing to bust their asses to chase every last commission buck. Even those who are already multimillionaires can be relentless in their pursuit of a bigger paycheck despite the easy option to stop working forever. I'm convinced that these studies aren't being done on people whose income truly scales with performance. I've been in enough positions where working myself nearly to death would be rewarded with no more than a $500-1500 check and a day or two of extra PTO, and while those rewards are technically monetary it's not remotely enough to justify the extra effort.

But non-monetary awards are bullshit too and that dude is a moron. I've made it really clear to every boss I've had for the last ~decade that giving me anything but money or time will be seen as an insult and have a demotivational effect. Maybe I sound like an rear end in a top hat here, but being an rear end in a top hat to management seems like a reasonable choice and is one which has worked well so far.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Sorry I'm late but you missed the best one

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The real trick is portraying recognition and sick days or easily managed PTO as rewards instead of basic loving requirements of human work interaction. It's like that old Chris Rock sketch where people brag about just being not a psycho: "I never beat my kids!" "I've never been to jail!" "I give my employees paid time off when they're sick!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Loucks posted:

I think this is bullshit, personally. I've had enough exposure to salespeople (not me) who are making well into six figures (and occasionally seven), and they all seem more than willing to bust their asses to chase every last commission buck. Even those who are already multimillionaires can be relentless in their pursuit of a bigger paycheck despite the easy option to stop working forever. I'm convinced that these studies aren't being done on people whose income truly scales with performance. I've been in enough positions where working myself nearly to death would be rewarded with no more than a $500-1500 check and a day or two of extra PTO, and while those rewards are technically monetary it's not remotely enough to justify the extra effort.

But non-monetary awards are bullshit too and that dude is a moron. I've made it really clear to every boss I've had for the last ~decade that giving me anything but money or time will be seen as an insult and have a demotivational effect. Maybe I sound like an rear end in a top hat here, but being an rear end in a top hat to management seems like a reasonable choice and is one which has worked well so far.

Yeah, I'm 1) talking more about salary/hourly work and 2) I think salespeople and other commission chaser professions are loving nuts and I have no idea how to categorize the kind of brainworms involved there.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Warmachine posted:

I think salespeople and other commission chaser professions are loving nuts and I have no idea how to categorize the kind of brainworms involved there.

They're absolutely insane. I love spending time around them because I feel like I'm doing some weird case study. Also they tend to pay for the drinks once they get a little sloshed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Unless there's an insanely clear incentive structure with zero input from bosses, changing jobs is always the fastest way to make more money.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shame Boy posted:

I like that only the top half is Sky House, you're not allowed to say you live in Sky House if you're one of the plebs on the first 20 floors

Pssh 20 floors? That's your standard 65 storey suburban condo, more like 45 floors of plebs (who themselves are spending $1,000+ per square foot).

Vancouver has the same population as Portland, Oregon, whose tallest residential tower is 28 floors. I'd bet Vancouver has close to 50 residential towers that are taller.

Edit: this is not a flex, they are empty and used as laundering assets.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Mar 4, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

I did too. Just an email from the exec team that all works from home.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the 75k figure is from kahnemann's thing. tversky was the math guy but hes dead. if he were alive, he wpuld prolly have noted that the whole relation is remarkably loglinear, so the motivation is basically completely affected by monetary adjustments: its just that the differential motivation scales to log of the monetary difference. you need to double salaries to get peeps to care about monetary difference, not lard 5k onto 55k

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I'm 1) talking more about salary/hourly work and 2) I think salespeople and other commission chaser professions are loving nuts and I have no idea how to categorize the kind of brainworms involved there.

I was at a party where a car salesperson was bragging up their successful big ticket sales and generally how well they are doing and one of their family members let it slip that another family member of theirs had purchased a new car and the braggart went ashen faced and sat sulking for the rest of the party lol

I don’t believe people when they talk about how well they’re doing. I’ve also spent enough time around noveau rich types to know most of them are up to their eyeballs in debt and it’s all a plate spinning game.

Professor Shark has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Mar 4, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
"Don't pay people more" dude is definitely a sociopath, but to be fair, I worked at a place where my "thank you" for pulling two all-nighters to get discovery out for a trial that the managing partner waited until the last minute to get to me was having one of the associates call me into her office to tell me that said partner ordered her to chew me out because fifteen pages made it in that shouldn't have.

"Wait, only fifteen pages?". "Yeah." "That's a goddamn miracle.". "I know!"

I got thanked more in the first month at my next job more than I had ever been at that job, and it was night and loving day. Somebody telling Boomers "actually, you should say 'thank you' to people who do things for you" in such a way that they might listen is doing a public service.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

AxGrap posted:

Sorry I'm late but you missed the best one

Neuken in der keuken
Neuken in der keuken
Neuken in der keuken
Dere waas fuuk all alss to deu

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

The email helpfully includes the Fun Fact that it's originally from this book:

which is already great, but while looking for that I found out there's a revised edition that replaces that conspicuous mention of "time off" on the cover with:

Secret tricks on to get those DARN LAZY MILLENNIALS working!!!

That PhD was what it took for the the last 500 tips.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1499876153988845569

:chloe:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Spazzle posted:

That PhD was what it took for the the last 500 tips.

Lmao I didn't even notice that

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

rock n roller cola wars I can’t take it anymore

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the 75k figure is from kahnemann's thing. tversky was the math guy but hes dead. if he were alive, he wpuld prolly have noted that the whole relation is remarkably loglinear, so the motivation is basically completely affected by monetary adjustments: its just that the differential motivation scales to log of the monetary difference. you need to double salaries to get peeps to care about monetary difference, not lard 5k onto 55k
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens%27_power_law
it takes an exponential increase of every kind of stimulus to be perceived as linear. why would money be any different

quote:

Fechner's law is an inference from Weber's law (with additional assumptions) which states that the intensity of our sensation increases as the logarithm of an increase in energy rather than as rapidly as the increase.

Ruffian Price has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Mar 5, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, kahnemann said saturation but loglinear to someone who doesnt have good enough data for seeing if its loglinear seems a lot like saturation

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That is definitely not the problem in Vancouver. Here is what suburban skylines look like, not downtown.

That's one of half a dozen high rise suburban hubs. Money laundering demand cannot be met by building more.
can you explain this term in detail please? are these things just rising out of the same sort of quintessential american suburban sprawl? those are just houses in the front?

Edit: this is not a flex, they are empty and used as laundering assets.

ahhhh i see....hahahaha

i am harry has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Mar 5, 2022

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

i am harry posted:

can you explain this term in detail please? are these things just rising out of the same sort of quintessential american suburban sprawl? those are just houses in the front?

Yeah, like imagine if every suburb in your town had its own cluster of high rise towers rather than just downtown and maaaybe one other area.

Like here is downtown, which is like 90% residential. Not a single major corporate HQ in the city:

Then there's Metrotown as shown previously, about a 30 minute drive from downtown:

Brentwood:

The City of North Vancouver where I lived:

New Westminster:

District of West Vancouver:

Lougheed:

Richmond (lower towers required as it's next to the international airport)

Surrey:

Coquitlam:

...plus more.

Note some of these photos are 8+ years old so there are many more towers now. Basically every single suburb has its own tower skyline as the whole city runs on real estate profits. Kinda ridiculous for a somewhat small city of 2.5 million.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Mar 5, 2022

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Yeah, like imagine if every suburb in your town had its own cluster of high rise towers rather than just downtown and maaaybe one other area.

Like here is downtown, which is like 90% residential. Not a single major corporate HQ in the city:

Then there's Metrotown as shown previously, about a 30 minute drive from downtown:

Brentwood:

The City of North Vancouver where I lived:

New Westminster:

District of West Vancouver:

Lougheed:

Richmond (lower towers required as it's next to the international airport)

Surrey:

Coquitlam:

...plus more.

Note some of these photos are 8+ years old so there are many more towers now. Basically every single suburb has its own tower skyline as the whole city runs on real estate profits. Kinda ridiculous for a somewhat small city of 2.5 million.

And each metro has its own sort of vibe and cuisine and there's pretty decent public transit including a train linking them all up. Tbh it owns and I miss living there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Leroy Diplowski posted:

And each metro has its own sort of vibe and cuisine and there's pretty decent public transit including a train linking them all up. Tbh it owns and I miss living there.

Food is excellent, I'll give it that. Strongly disagree on the other points.

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017
Got caught by surprise by a commercial on tv last night. bulletproofhelmetusa. Kind of amazing seeing combat helmets for everyday use is a thing. It felt like a Robocop ad so i had to check it out. Paydirt.

Mr Beef Head has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mr Beef Head posted:

Got caught by surprise by a commercial on tv last night. bulletproofhelmetusa. Kind of amazing seeing combat helmets for everyday use is a thing. It felt like a Robocop ad so i had to check it out. Paydirt.

None for the kids?