Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I suspect Penguin would be better off remaining this series' Scarecrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Penguin already has his own TV show.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just saw this. I thought the film did a better job of showing Gotham as being a dirty gross city than previous batman movies. Just looks very grungy

This was the nest realized Gotham and probably the best looking of them all, as much as I like some shots of TDKR.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

now that i have had more time to reflect, my biggest problem with this movie is that it didn't fully commit to depicting batman as a huge loving dipshit.

i also wanted roughly 200% more of the penguin

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

now that i have had more time to reflect, my biggest problem with this movie is that it didn't fully commit to depicting batman as a huge loving dipshit.

Isn't that the Nolan trilogy?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I saw it, liked it, the point that Batman is a huge dipshit who solves nothing with his violence and actually makes things worse is great, although they probably needed a bit more development at the end for that to stick.

I liked the Batmobile getting it's own character introduction, sitting there growling like an animal while the whole movie stops for it.

A very pretty movie with a great score, but as others have noted, it ends multiple times and drags on a bit.

The Riddler's social media video was one of the funniest things I have seen in a cape film, Dano nailed the right wing pyscho on the internet bit.

I liked that while Batman was capable he ate poo poo on multiple occasions both physically and mentally, he's not the Bat-God here, just a guy with some training and sweet equipment.

The main thing I didn't like was that scene in Arkham towards the end, you know the one, give it a rest, god.

I am really looking forward to the takes on this movie, especially the more political reads and what they say about Batman himself. The movie seemed to have the right idea about him, but I'm not sure how much they nailed the landing, much like Batman himself in the movie :v:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

live with fruit posted:

Isn't that the Nolan trilogy?

christian bale is too suave. pattinson constantly looks like he's five minutes from completely losing it and donking into large bridges.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

I liked the Batmobile getting it's own character introduction, sitting there growling like an animal while the whole movie stops for it.

The more I think about it this was probably my favorite bit in the movie. The loving sounds they have it make are insane and there’s that bit where it lurches forward just a bit before everyone else bolts.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I wanted to see them gently caress

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Fartington Butts posted:

The more I think about it this was probably my favorite bit in the movie. The loving sounds they have it make are insane and there’s that bit where it lurches forward just a bit before everyone else bolts.

I was ready to burst out laughing cause I thought it stalled but then quickly realised once everyone bolted it was just doing the "I'll give you a headstart....go!" thing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I also think my new favourite movie sound is the one so prevalent with the Nolan Batmobile but also in this movie of "tires trying to hold grip as they skip sideways across the road"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So. If I’m being honest? I didn’t totally love that. Didn’t hate it either. Felt it was merely okay. My main complaint is there was a lot of rear end draggin’. Like I feel like the whole movie was in slow motion. Like people would take forever to like walk five feet in a scene and then grumble a line. Also the two note Batman theme got old real quick for me.

I don’t think it supplants the Nolan films for me as my favorites. There were things to like though. Batman felt appropriately menacing, and the fights were well shot and choreographed. Not as much detecting as I would have liked. Usually all it amounted to was Batman would stand there for ten seconds and then utter the solution.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The song for the Batmobile chase on the soundtrack is called "Highway to the Anger Zone"

Edit: I was gonna list a bunch of the good wordsmithing done in the titles of the songs for this, but just go look it up. "Escaped Crusader" is another favorite of mine.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 5, 2022

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Looten Plunder posted:

You mean the (good) actual Nirvana song?

My bad, I’m not really a Nirvana fan and only know them in passing, I still think the first use of the song was poorly placed (had it of been an instrumental version it may have worked better)

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

QuoProQuid posted:

i also wanted roughly 200% more of the penguin

honestly, i think him being such a spoiled rich kid that the city gets flooded because he doesn't know what a basic carpenter's tool does is pretty good committed dipshittery.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

But who really knows wtf that thing is? This is all related to the "carpet tugger"

Edit: and it would've been cool if they used it in my last apartment before loving with my deposit.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 5, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

this has the best depiction of gotham city in any of the batmovies so far. just a real dreary shithole with actual continuity.

wide shots of batman going to town on thugs is the best we've ever seen batman fight thugs in any movie so far, too.

i watched the main seven batman movies before this, and i thought i was going to really hate having to sit through another dark, gritty, and realistic batman movie after the dark knight rises, but this movie manages to pull all of that off in a really satisfying way that kept me engaged the entire time. some people don't like how out of place batman was in a room full of cops in this, but i think it adds so much to the atmosphere.

probably just recency bias talking, but right now i think this is my favorite batman movie. the third act has hiccups, sure, but overall it's just caked in a vibe that is unmatched in any of the other movies.

and lastly yeah i'm in agreement with everyone else please dear god no more joker

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like how Batman in a room full of cops faintly evokes the image of Sherlock Holmes at a murder scene in the Cumberbatch series, except instead of connecting the facts and lecturing everyone present he just broods and stares and internally probably goes gently caress gently caress gently caress what do I do

also I can buy the idea that this is Batman starting out and he just inherently isn't in a position to be any real help. It's just I feel like we've never really seen Detective Batman on the big screen and it's about time. Then again, since I mentioned it, Sherlock got pretty grating pretty quickly, maybe it's for the best.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There’s an interview with Pattinson where he talks about the comic Batman:Shaman and the influence on the character. His idea was that Batmans relationship to the cops should feel like he’s some inscrutable witch doctor or something they’re consulting.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 5, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i get the sense that batman isn't the greatest detective bc he can solve anything and is super smart, but more so bc he can be at a crime scene and collect information in his own way untainted by procedure or jurisdiction. and also that he is operating on supplemental information he gathers outside the limits of how a cop could.

him being at a crime scene is interesting ("funny" to some) bc he sticks out, but i think that's exactly the point. he is an outside presence in a room full of procedure. it's funny not because he looks silly (altho kind of) but because the audience is in on the joke.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm mean he's a legitimately good detective, but he's also been Batman for nine seconds in this. He makes some intelligent observations in this, and he makes some mistakes. In the grand scheme of things he's "competent". That's not enough to get on top of it and stop it, but it's not like anyone else was doing any better. He's also put most his energy and focus on beating the living poo poo out of people so, you know, maybe that will change in the future.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Pillowpants posted:

Is it too dark to see with an 8 year old?

I’d say there’s about 10-15 minutes of action on a three hour movie. I’d be more concerned with an 8 year old being bored.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

live with fruit posted:

I suspect Penguin would be better off remaining this series' Scarecrow.

One thing that they’ve really yet to do in the movies is capture the idea that all of these villains exist at the same time with their own agendas. It’s always Batman checking off one problem at a time. I want to see additional villains layered in. I’m hoping the spin-offs allow them to establish more of this.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Oh I just got the joke with Riddlers riddle

Bring the rat with wings into the light. The obvious answer is 'bat' to the point I was practically screaming it at the screen, until penguin brought it up. But the Riddlers intended answer is "Falcon(e)"

But the climax of the movie is about the Bat being brought into the light.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ghostwritingduck posted:

One thing that they’ve really yet to do in the movies is capture the idea that all of these villains exist at the same time with their own agendas. It’s always Batman checking off one problem at a time. I want to see additional villains layered in. I’m hoping the spin-offs allow them to establish more of this.

Not too sure about that. In BB, you had Crane, Falcone and the LoS/Ra's. TDK's Joker, Harvey and corrupt cops who were all posing different problems for Bruce. The bad guys team up and their stories cross over a but they also create issues for Batman individually and outside of their collective motivation. Even in Batman and Robin, you had Ivy (and later Bane) doing this while Freeze was doing that.

I kind of see what you mean but you also don't want to run into SM3 (Venom, Sandman, Goblin2) or ASM2 (Electro, Goblin, Rhino) syndrome where the movie is spread too thin because of too many villains and their subplots that muddle the story. It's a delicate balancing act.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think you can ever avoid that with movies. People want to see ALL THE VILLAINS and there's only so many you can cram in before a movie series runs its course and they have to let it cool down for a bit, and by then a new generation of moviegoers will want to see ALL THE VILLAINS starting with the obvious ones.

That being said I do hope they tap a few new veins. Let's see Mad Hatter and Professor Pyg. I liked the brief image of Thomas Wayne overlaid with the word HUSH but I can see that just being an insider nod.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I agree with what ghostwritingduck wrote, and think multiple villains work better where the bad guys are getting up to their own poo poo with their own motivations and then their schemes/plots wind up crossing over a bit rather than just teaming up and smashing all the action figures together. Off the top of my head, I think of multiple antagonists in movies like The Godfather or even The Departed where different threats are all coming from separate motivations but still intertwine and build off each other to create exponential and layered problems for the hero.

No Country for Old Men also comes to mind as Lewellyn is catching poo poo from every angle (drug lords, Anton, Sheriff, Woddy Harrelson) but everyone is kind of up to something different.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

massive spider posted:

According to Matt Reeves originally there was more Joker with Bruce consulting him in a Silence of the Lambs bit earlier in the film. Thank gently caress it got cut because it sounds awful. The canon though is that he and Batman have already encountered each other.

I'm 100% down with Joker taking a long holiday from Batman movies and really wish he didn't have his little cameo at the end. But if they do have to bring him in I wished they'd do something a little different with him. Not have Batman met him before, or if he did, he was just some nameless dude Batman beat up and arrested. He gets put into Arkham rather than Black Gate and its in Arkham he completely falls apart mentally. Have some kind of story questioning Arkham's methods and what it's done to this guy who people don't seem to really know who somehow slipped between the cracks and and the system coupled with Batman traumatising his arrest just broke him. I don't know, just something different.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

massive spider posted:

There’s an interview with Pattinson where he talks about the comic Batman:Shaman and the influence on the character. His idea was that Batmans relationship to the cops should feel like he’s some inscrutable witch doctor or something they’re consulting.

It very much feels like a Mentalist/Castle kind of thing where a kooky outsider is called in to help out the police.

Fartington Butts posted:

But who really knows wtf that thing is? This is all related to the "carpet tugger"

Edit: and it would've been cool if they used it in my last apartment before loving with my deposit.

My uncle is also a carpet layer and I didn't recognize that thing. I would've been all over it if Riddler used a knee kicker though.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 5, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just saw this. I thought the film did a better job of showing Gotham as being a dirty gross city than previous batman movies. Just looks very grungy
One of my big issues with the Nolan films was that Gotham was just Generic US City, and also way too clean and sterile. Give me Burton and Anton Furst's insane "Hell erupted through the streets and kept on growing" take any time; something as simple as the OP's comment makes me more interested in this.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Moved from other thread by mod request
The movie says that the entire city is corrupt, including Arkham prison. So when it's revealed how terrible people are and you even get to listen to them kill people, Batman wants to put them in the corrupt system even though they know it's corrupt. So it just comes off as toothless and he stops Catwoman from actually administering justice, and he just comes off as a a white fence sitter. He never even says why not to kill. It's just "no we don't kill.". The whole movie is like that. There's no friction. Why are him and Gordon working together If Gordon doesn't even know the police are corrupt until this movie? It just makes Gordon look lazy. Or how he finds Selena's place just because she was a nosy waiter looking at pictures??? It's like they didn't even want to do all the hard work narratively, so it's just pastiches of Batman.

Also, the writing was really really ropey throughout. All I could hear was Abed from community as Batman during the Rorschach journal readings. There's even a "we're not so different," line. The movie's themes were definitely watered down from BvS.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 5, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

bushisms.txt posted:

Moved from other thread

The movie says that the entire city is corrupt, including Arkham prison. So when it's revealed how terrible people are and you even get to listen to them kill people, Batman wants to put them in the corrupt system even though they know it's corrupt. So it just comes off as toothless and he stops Catwoman from actually administering justice, and he just comes off as a a white fence sitter. He never even says why not to kill. It's just "no we don't kill.". The whole movie is like that. There's no friction. Why are him and Gordon working together If Gordon doesn't even know the police are corrupt until this movie? It just makes Gordon look lazy. Or how he finds Selena's place just because she was a nosy waiter looking at pictures??? It's like they didn't even want to do all the hard work narratively, so it's just pastiches of Batman.

Also, the writing was really really ropey throughout. All I could hear was Abed from community as Batman during the Rorschach journal readings. There's even a "we're not so different," line. The movie's themes were definitely watered down from BvS.

Batman doesn't really know everyone is corrupt until Riddler starts killing people, either. He does explain his no kill ethos a couple times to Catwoman as well. It's implied he figures a bunch of poo poo out including why he follows Selina home, sorry there wasn't any dialog where he explains his thought process but if you watch his eyes you can see the gears grinding in his head.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Batman doesn't really know everyone is corrupt until Riddler starts killing people, either.
He had already seen riddlers big HIPAA violation so it's not an excuse to stop Selena. And the only thing he does is notice her "studying" pictures, but that's what any waiter would do when those pictures are splashed out where they're laying drinks. It would make more sense if she saw the pictures and acted like she didn't see them, but Batman noticed her body language or something. Maybe that's what they wanted to do, but the pace of the scenes and the movie in general didn't allow for that.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 5, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It wasn't just her body language, it was also the handoff of drugs and money. A drug trade that was supposed to have been taken down completely. He notices that first and then her interest in the pictures really sets him off.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This movie version of Gotham does seem like a good place to do the Court of Owls storyline in if they wanted to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Payndz posted:

One of my big issues with the Nolan films was that Gotham was just Generic US City, and also way too clean and sterile. Give me Burton and Anton Furst's insane "Hell erupted through the streets and kept on growing" take any time; something as simple as the OP's comment makes me more interested in this.

Same, and it was even weirder because in BB, Gotham looked pretty good and unique. Had some style to it. In the next two movies, it just looked like Chicago and Pittsburgh.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Does Batman really need to explain why he doesn't kill people? Killing people is pretty bad

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

live with fruit posted:

Does Batman really need to explain why he doesn't kill people? Killing people is pretty bad

I think its the fact that he operates in a city as hosed up as Gotham that requires the explanation to most people he aligns with.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Payndz posted:

imo it depends which Nolan movie. Gotham felt like a city in Begins and a little less so in Dark Knight. Then in Rises, Nolan got super lazy and it was clearly just NYC with no efforts made.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman has been around forever. We already know why he doesn't kill, and why he doesn't like guns. Does the audience need it spelled out in every single movie? I mean, thank God this movie didn't show us his parents getting gunned down yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Every movie includes the Waynes getting gunned down scene to fill time without having to put any effort into an original idea for a scene.