Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's yet another Batman film coming out March 4th, 2022. It's 3 hours long for some reason.

Ben Affleck was originally going to star, write, and direct, but he dropped out, so now Robert Pattison is stepping into the cowl as Batman/Bruce Wayne with Matt Reeves directing. Zoe Kravitz is Catwoman, Paul Dano plays a Zodiac-esque Riddler, and Colin Farrell has been buried under makeup to play the Penguin (and apparently stealing every scene doing so).

Out in cinemas on Friday 4th of March, 2022, with digital release on HBO Max Tuesday 19th April, 2022 so you can watch at home with an intermission, because, again, the film is 3 hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u34gHaRiBIU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Matt Reeves is an awesome director. His Ape films are the best blockbusters of the last decade easily imo. And I am very excited for this film.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Very much looking forward to this. 100% on board with the poster above, Let Me In and his two Apes trilogy all rule so was totally onside with Matt Reeves doing a Batman movie from the beginning.

Paul Dano is possibly my favourite actor working today, so exclaimed "YES PLEASE" out loud when he was announced as Riddler. Andy Serkis owns, Robert Pattinson is great, Colin Farrell is always good value, Zoe Kravitz rules, and I'd listen to Jeffrey Jones read the phone book, nothing about this doesn't excite me. The trailers have all been ace too, looking forward to actual detective-ing being a central part of the story in a Batman movie.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 1, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just had a minor spoiler from some promo stuff I dont know what makeup job they did with Paul Dano but he looks about 12 years old on his face reveal which is a hilarious twist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

massive spider posted:

Just had a minor spoiler from some promo stuff I dont know what makeup job they did with Paul Dano but he looks about 12 years old on his face reveal which is a hilarious twist.

I think that’s just Paul Dano’s face, although the idea of a youngster pretending to be an adult smacks strongly of Anarky.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It looks interesting but I'm kind of comic booked out and have been for some time.

Reviews I've seen say it's good but not great and is way too long, particularly the third act. Consistent criticisms from the ones I've read are that Penguin is basically DeNiro's Al Capone, Dano is kind of just average, Catwoman is sort of underwritten and that the film could easily lose 20 minutes.

I haven't seen where anyone is saying that it sucks but it seems to be grading out at a B or B+

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I won tickets to an early screening last night, I'm just going to do a quick copy paste of what I messaged some of my friends about it after I got out:

quote:

For real though, quick thoughts before I drive home and go to bed: I liked it a lot up until the last act, it started to go in a direction I didn't like at first and I'm sure nerds might really hate on it but in the end it justified itself for me, I think it's tied with the Burton movies as my favorite looking of the live action ones, everyone was great in their parts, lots of bit actors who looked and sounded kind of scuzzy which I appreciate. There's a couple specific scenes I really liked but they'd be too spoilery to get into. A pretty solid mystery plot and lots of detective work.

Riddler himself....well they really went with a specific choice and stuck to it I guess lol. Not bad but maybe a bit too Jokery for my liking
Oh and despite how serious it mostly is there's a good amount of levity at parts that doesn't feel out of place

Thinking back on it I don't know if I'd describe him as "Jokery" after all....but I do think they Jokerfied him maybe a tiny bit.

Someone asked me how the batman/catwoman version compared to Nolan/Burton and I said:

quote:

Better than the Nolan version in Rises which was fine, not as freaky horny as Returns but still a little horny. I liked them together in it, and she's in it quite a bit.

The only other mild spoiler I'll confirm since some people were theorizing about this for a while: No, the bat symbol on his suit isn't made from the gun used to kill his parents. Well I guess it would be more accurate to say it wasn't brought up at all, so I guess they could still do that for a sequel

I have more thoughts but they're a bit spoilery so I'll wait until more people see it unless anyone has any questions.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Karloff posted:

Matt Reeves is an awesome director. His Ape films are the best blockbusters of the last decade easily imo. And I am very excited for this film.

The ape movies loving rock.

Looking forward to this in over a month when I can watch it at home.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FWIW, here's the AV Club and NPR reviews

https://www.avclub.com/the-batman-is-a-flawed-but-striking-pop-noir-blockbuste-1848600781

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/28/1083465564/the-batman-robert-pattinson-review

IGN and Den Of Geek really loved it.

From the info in the reviews I've read, it seems like a crossover with the the Phoenix Joker movie could be pretty seamless to pull off. I liked Joker a lot but not sure I feel about another shared universe.

Also, thirding that the Reeves apes movies are loving great. Anyone see "Let Me In"?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I was under the impression that DC are very keen on Reeves Batman/Philips Joker crossing over but it was Reeves and Philips themselves slamming the brakes on it, and that if anything beyond standard sequels are going to happen it will be spinoffs

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 1, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, thirding that the Reeves apes movies are loving great. Anyone see "Let Me In"?

Probably not as good as the original, but much better than I expected.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Adrianics posted:

I was under the impression that DC are very keen on Reeves Batman/Philips Joker crossing over but it was Reeves and Philips themselves slamming the brakes on it, and that if anything beyond standard sequels are going to happen it will be spinoffs

Yeah, they already have the Penguin spinoff and I hear that he's basically a cameo in this movie. From what I can gather and based on what I've seen of The Batman, a Joker cross over would at least seem to fit tonally if nothing else. I wonder who they're lining up as the villain for the inevitable sequel to this one? Personally, I could live without Joker.

Doesn't seem like Freeze or Ivy would really fit. Maybe someone like Mad Hatter or Zsasz but that seems too much like Riddler. You could have Ivy be some kind of eco terrorist or something. I've heard the film hints at the Court of Owls. Who's never been used or done justice? Clayface?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I get the sense this isn’t establishing a world with supernatural elements per se and that’s cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I get the sense this isn’t establishing a world with supernatural elements per se and that’s cool.

Once again DC seems very reticent to go with the notion these films are based on comics, bordering on flat out embarrassed by this fact.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Adrianics posted:

Very much looking forward to this. 100% on board with the poster above, Let Me In and his two Apes trilogy all rule so was totally onside with Matt Reeves doing a Batman movie from the beginning.

Paul Dano is possibly my favourite actor working today, so exclaimed "YES PLEASE" out loud when he was announced as Riddler. Andy Serkis owns, Robert Pattinson is great, Colin Farrell is always good value, Zoe Kravitz rules, and I'd listen to Jeffrey Jones read the phone book, nothing about this doesn't excite me. The trailers have all been ace too, looking forward to actual detective-ing being a central part of the story in a Batman movie.

I think you mean Jeffrey Tambor.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Sir Nose posted:

ffs :bahgawd:

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Sir Nose posted:

Really puts Tambor's cancellation into perspective doesn't it?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saw this yesterday. I'm normally not a big superhero fan, but I liked it a fair bit. Aesthetically, it's fantastic. The costuming, sets, and photography are all absolutely stellar. The retro-future gothic setting has a lot of personality to it.

I think casting is perfect for the tone they went for as well. I'll be curious how general audiences react to Pattinson's take. He's the scariest portrayal of the character I've seen. Almost feels like a slasher villain, even if he only hunts criminals and doesn't kill (though buying his beatdowns as non-lethal requires a bit of suspended disbelief). He's a far darker take than Snyder's, in my opinion.

Action scenes are fantastically crunchy and well-choreographed. Even the car chase packs a meaty punch. It's nice to see action that is so carefully planned and intentionally shot in a genre blockbuster. Well framed shots with an unrushed edit, so you can clearly see what's happening. It's a modern film so I'm sure there's plenty of CG embellishment to those scenes, but whatever is there is well integrated and natural. It feels like actual people beating the poo poo out of each other, rather than flashy animation.

The script itself is the weak point. It's engaging enough and works better than a PG-13 take Se7en with Halloween costumes has a right to, but some characters are underwritten and the third act feels a bit random. It's necessary thematically and offers the best action set-pieces in the film, but it really could have been integrated into the literal plotting better.

The only thing I outright hated was the sequel tease, but I guess those are mandatory for big-budget films these days.

Anyway, as someone who hasn't really enjoyed a superhero movie since TDK, I thought this was quite good. If you like what Matt Reeves has done with Apes, you'll probably be into this, too.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 2, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Didn't like it. Oh well.

Boy, if you thought Nolan had problems with his movies "ending" four times in the last hour, wait till you see this one.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i was quite disappointed with this, movie is totally toothless and does not earn its runtime. the script is hamfisted and insipid with lots of cop fellating and women hating. Cinematography, editing, score, effects were all mediocre. its worse and more muddled than joker which is a laugh and a half.

decidedly the type of product scorsese rallied against

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 2, 2022

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Saw it tonight, there is a good movie in there but god it felt every bit of its 14hr run time.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Brutal rear end-kicking aside, the movie really impresses upon you that Batman is a mere human compared to in other iterations. There are none of the super-flashy gadgets present in the Nolan films, either, just a few practical tools like a taser, a batarang, a grappling hook, and contact lens cameras, which I guess sort of negates my point . Also, instead of the Nolan Batman "memory cloth" cape, Battinson dons a freaking wingsuit at one point to escape off of a skyscraper. It's weird there's no explanation as to how Bruce Wayne became such a skilled fighter, where he got his hot rod batmobile, etc., but I suppose that is such a major focus in Batman Begins that it was wise to deviate.

Farrell's role is significantly more than a cameo, but he is kind of depicted as a chump. Overall, movie was solid, if unexceptional.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Uh what about that part in the trailer where he no-sells a hallway full of machinegun fire? That seems pretty superhuman, even with a suit.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

The United States posted:

Uh what about that part in the trailer where he no-sells a hallway full of machinegun fire? That seems pretty superhuman, even with a suit.

Yeah...and there are like seven other instances where he should die or at least be paralyzed. I guess I meant in terms of his capabilities rather than his ability to absorb damage, which is extraordinary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gonna go see this tonight with a whole jar full of weed gummies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

Probably not as good as the original, but much better than I expected.

Actually I would say that Let Me In is the rare remake that is as good as the original

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Thinking about this more this morning ...it felt kind of weird that Batman didn't seem to care that Riddler knew who he was? Nothing was mentioned as far as I could work out as to how Riddler found out or if/how Batman planned to stop him from being like "yo everyone Batman is Bruce Wayne!"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thepokey posted:

Thinking about this more this morning ...it felt kind of weird that Batman didn't seem to care that Riddler knew who he was? Nothing was mentioned as far as I could work out as to how Riddler found out or if/how Batman planned to stop him from being like "yo everyone Batman is Bruce Wayne!"

I think you missed something. He was shocked when he saw the wall that seemed to indicate that Riddler knew who he was and told Gordon that the batman might be coming to an end. But then when he interviews the Riddler, he realizes he misinterpreted that wall and the Riddler has no idea who he really is. When he says "I know who you really are," he means that the mask is his true identity and considers his real name unimportant. He was repeating Bruce Wayne because he's frustrated that one of his targets got away, and laments that he and Batman failed to kill that one..

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

The United States posted:

It's treated with bulletproof vest style logic in that the suit can't be penetrated by he's effected by force, he can shrug off or just get knocked around a bit by glancing hits but there's a point where a shotgun puts him out of commission completely because he takes it point blank.

Anyway I liked it, but can see how people could bounce off it - it's unrelentingly dark (hope your theatre is calibrated properly), it's 90% Batman 10% Bruce and Bruce is a sullen recluse which leaves Pattinson a little underutilized since he's in one mode whether he's Bruce or Batman - no charming billionaire playboy Bruce in this one, even as a front.

But I really liked that we finally got detective Batman and one that is more part of the world than previous movies since this time he's frequently walking through crime scenes or nightclubs, Gordon, Selina, Alfred and other characters all worked well for me and the runtime didn't bother me in the slightest, even if the Return of the King/JL Snyder Cut thing where it feels like there's four different points where it's wrapping up but then it just continues on started becoming noticeable)

Also do not stick around for a post credits scene, at my screening I think there was a universal groan from everybody who did.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Really liked this. I finally got a solid detective movie with Batman.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The movie is beautiful, the score is amazing, and the horrific nature of it all is totally thematic and meaningful for what it's trying to say. Which is, and this may be a shock to many of you so spoilers to the plot, amazingly enough just beating the poo poo out of people like a loving psycho isn't enough to enact meaningful social change. And in fact may just teach people that it's ok to get what they want by putting on a mask and being a loving psycho.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I did really like Penguin in this one. The fact that he sort of plays the chump 2nd in command to Falcone fits because you sort of get the feeling by the end (smart enough to solve the riddle and his verbal lashing of Falcone) that he is far more ruthless and cunning than first appeared. Also really loved the minor humorous touch when he's walking like an actual penguin due to his legs being tied together. Great job by Farrell.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Saw it in a loud-rear end XD theater which made the Batmobile chase pretty awesome. Did not love the need to have "Unseen Arkham Prisoner".

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Also question for people a lot more knowledgeable with Batman on Martha: Has she been Martha Arkham before? I don’t feel as though I’ve come across a version of Batman where she comes from the family that set up Arkham Asylum. It felt a bit shoehorned but not sure if that’s a thing that’s been done before.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If they go through with Barry Keoghan Joker he’s gonna be even worse than Jared Leto.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

If they go through with Barry Keoghan Joker he’s gonna be even worse than Jared Leto.

Oh poo poo THAT was him? I read he had some part in there somewhere….

(I like him tho, even if I didn’t particularly like that scene).

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

I disagree. He's a fine, capable actor--certainly less obnoxious than Jared Leto--it's just that the whole setting up the joker for the sequel thing is the exact same move the last bat franchise did. Plus considering the fact that there have been three live-action jokers in the past 15 years, we are at Joker overload. Will be difficult for another actor to distinguish himself in the role.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

IDK, I've already seen Batman drop the f-bomb and threaten to kill the Joker after he's offered a reacharound so I'm not sure this Batman movie has anything new to offer me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman should curse more.

The fact that he beats up mentally ill people all just but him saying a bad word makes people angry is funny lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Are people angry about this Batman now? What’s that about?