Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cowcaster posted:

just chiming in with the choir that from's main priorities with balance patches historically have been:
1) if it's loving with PvP at all, destroy it
2) if it's REALLY loving with bosses, destroy it (a modicum of boss fuckery is permitted)
3) there is no three

i think the only time they've really gone through and boosted stuff up was a sekiro patch where all the combat arts that were less effective than using a single sword slash got a minor increase but even then remained pretty useless (save for mortal draw which went from Ok to Really Good)

its very funny to me that From's balance priorities are basically "does this gently caress with PvP when they've only gone out of their way to do any deliberate PvP zones once in DS2

this game jn particular they seem to hate PvP. Wanna invade? Fight against 3 dudes at once. Want to use the taunter's tongue to 1v1 invaders yourself? your reward is a finger remedy, aka: the thing that you can make from weeds on the ground.

it seems almost vestigial here, and if they make the cool bullshit OP weapons suck in service to it despite thzt, i will be sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I hear that rock spam keeps her locked down but I can see how a magic damage user would have a bitch of a time with her.

Also: why are people wringing their hands about weapon nerfs when the one time something fun got nerfed into oblivion was DS2? Fromsoft knows how good ashes of war are. At worst they might lose some damage.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 5, 2022

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm progressing pretty slowly because I haven't had that much time to play and I'm being really thorough, but am I the only one having the issue where I get way more +4 and +5 upgrade material than +3 early in the game? I got a bit more +3 in the past ~5 hours, but before that I had found nine +4 smithing stones and five +5, vs only two +3. Also five of the special weapon +4 vs one +3. I got +1 and +2 from Limgrave/Peninsula mines, and finally got some +3s now from mines in Liurnia, but no idea how I got so many higher-level materials.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Heads-up because I really wish I learned this at some point in the last 70 hours: you can hit L3 to sort items in your inventory by "recently acquired"

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So just got to the site of grace inside stormveil castle proper and feel really lost. Poked my head out of the room onto the roof and this whole palace is huge and filled with so many areas I feel lost. Any advice on which direction to go to? I kinda said gently caress it and went exploring weeping peninsula and limgrave and now wanna continue the main quest.

Also found a back route into the castle from outside that took to me to a throne room, but couldn't really do anything. Does that lead to anything?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

goferchan posted:

Heads-up because I really wish I learned this at some point in the last 70 hours: you can hit L3 to sort items in your inventory by "recently acquired"

No way

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

goferchan posted:

You can what

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: Man, Elden Ring sure is great, there's nothing I can read that can make me mad about it.

goferchan:

goferchan posted:

but seriously thank you!

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

thank you!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

noooooo way this is almost worth restarting so i can actually read all the lore as i pick stuff up

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Bruh

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Guys this game…. Is a good game

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
How useful is guard countering vs bosses? I've been using a 2h Golden Halberd up until the 2nd legacy dungeon but bit bored of it, so grabbed a banished knight greatsword instead. I figure the two options I have is (str/fai build) sticking sacred blade on it and 2hing, or sticking barricade on my brass shield and using sword and board. Guard counter seems decent vs trash mobs but before I sink any upgrades into the shield curious how people have found it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

No Mods No Masters posted:

The area has a pre festival version including a boss that are no longer accessible once the festival starts. It's not really that big a deal IMO but if you want to do everything and didn't go there before you locked yourself out. Once it's started there's no rush to actually do it

i just went back to try that boss again after getting stomped at lower level and oh boy is the new boss insane

also summoning for him was impossible, every sign disappeared by the time it showed up. although if you wanted to help you would be grabbed immediately. never seen a from game with that rapid of summoning.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I straight up cannot beat Radahn. This fight is absolutely loving horseshit. I'm sorry I ever said anything bad about Crucible Knight. This fight is so so SOOOO bad.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The combat has regressed since Sekiro but everything else is perfect. 10/10

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Razakai posted:

How useful is guard countering vs bosses? I've been using a 2h Golden Halberd up until the 2nd legacy dungeon but bit bored of it, so grabbed a banished knight greatsword instead. I figure the two options I have is (str/fai build) sticking sacred blade on it and 2hing, or sticking barricade on my brass shield and using sword and board. Guard counter seems decent vs trash mobs but before I sink any upgrades into the shield curious how people have found it.

Guard Countering is good against drat near everything and will ruin a bosses day. You also don't really need to upgrade your shield if you're slapping Barricade on it, and it takes a looooot up upgrades before any of them get a bonus to stability.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ughhhh posted:

Also found a back route into the castle from outside that took to me to a throne room, but couldn't really do anything. Does that lead to anything?

You basically entered through the exit, I think that option is there just so you can grab a key item in that room without actually finishing the castle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

it seems almost vestigial here, and if they make the cool bullshit OP weapons suck in service to it despite thzt, i will be sad

I could sorta see it going either way. What you describe absolutely happened in DS2, for example.

DS3 had a lot of balance patches, mostly fairly subtle, with some buffs and some nerfs. But there was quite a lot of it, and it seemed mostly aimed at PvP balance when they did it. I was reviewing a list of changes and despite me remembering some really nasty ones I actually don't think there were ever any cataclysmic nerfs in DS3, though I could be missing something.

That said, DS3 didn't really give you as many totally bonkers attacks as Elden Ring does. It didn't have things like (spirit ash spoilers) the Mimic Tear or a completely intended way to temporarily turn off your FP spending so you can channel a "hold down this laser beam for as long as you have FP" spell way, way longer than normal. A lot about Elden Ring feels like they intentionally threw caution to the wind when it came to letting players be overpowered, which is something that isn't sitting well with some of the louder, whinier voices on the internet (both because they're getting owned in PvP, and because they hate that people can cheese bosses and get mad that someone might have an easier time than them).

I also sorta suspect the "problem" with weapons like Moonveil might be a temporary one. It's everywhere in PvP right now because everyone knows about it and it's easy to get and easy to use. Same for the Sword of Night and Flame: everyone watched the same Youtube videos. If it's still dominant in a couple months there's probably a real problem there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the hype around both weapons dies down a bit as more people find more, similarly-batshit weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

No loving way, I hated how weapons were sorted by cathegory, making in-combat changes annoying, now I've sorted them by attack power (descending) so my most powerful weapons are at top always. :kiss:

By the way, what the gently caress is that Sauron frenzy poo poo from Bloodborne at the north of Liurnia, close to the big gate?

Visions of Nightmare of Mensis

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Razakai posted:

Bosses will super armor through guard counters in the middle of a combo, so you just need to learn which attacks you can punish with it. One-off attacks, attacks at the end of a chain, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Moonveil, I'm considering putting it away and saving it for a true spellblade playthrough (where I start as a Prisoner instead of a Confessor...) and switching over to dual-wielding curved greatswords with my spell slots full of utility incantations. Bloodhound's Fang in the right hand, and Dismounter with the Hoarfrost Stomp ash in the left hand. If I need to clear a group, I can two-hand the left hand weapon and just nuke them with ice.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
This one-two punch of Radahn and then going into Gelmir Hero Grave is probably my revelation that there are a lot of parts of this game I just do not enjoy, at all

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

50 hours in and i tried out hoarfrost stomp for the first time

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
In hindsight Radahn really isn't that difficult (at least for a tanky build) as much as he's...overwhelming. He has so much poo poo flying around the screen but like...just slap some bleed on your sword, get up under his dick, have a good shield to block when he starts flipping out, and make sure you ocassionally run around to refresh your infinite summons and his health bar will melt pretty quick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

50 hours in and i tried out hoarfrost stomp for the first time

it's absolutely batshit crazy good lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Flytrap posted:

In hindsight Radahn really isn't that difficult (at least for a tanky build) as much as he's...overwhelming. He has so much poo poo flying around the screen but like...just slap some bleed on your sword, get up under his dick, have a good shield to block when he starts flipping out, and make sure you ocassionally run around to refresh your infinite summons and his health bar will melt pretty quick.

As far as I can tell, the summons aren't actually infinite. I tried the strategy of just running around letting the summons do the work but eventually the summons stopped coming back.

I love looking up tips for this very badly designed boss and seeing people be like "just get behind him, easy!" Bitch do you think I'm not trying to do that?? He runs around at 100mph on his tiny horse

edit: I put bleed on my sword and that seemed to do the trick although I did just die to his... rocket ship?? move.

The strats should really all just lead with "put bleed on your sword" not "just get behind him lol"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 5, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Macaluso posted:

As far as I can tell, the summons aren't actually infinite. I tried the strategy of just running around letting the summons do the work but eventually the summons stopped coming back.

I love looking up tips for this very badly designed boss and seeing people be like "just get behind him, easy!" Bitch do you think I'm not trying to do that?? He runs around at 100mph on his tiny horse

Don't get behind him, get *in* him. Say hello to his horse and consider him your primary attack point. A full half of his attacks will whiff over your head if you're in there. I found half the fight was just letting him come to me with my turtle shell, letting him zoom over me, and having a horse party between his legs. What weapon are you using? I used my +10 Straight Sword covered in bleed goo.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

At least for phase 1, you can pretty easily run in on your horse and use the jump from dismounting to do a leaping heavy attack, the mount back up and get the gently caress out of dodge. It gets harder once he goes berzerker mode, but try ranged battle, as the kids say.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I got the infinite PvP invasion item earlier, its pretty hosed up in how you get given it as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is anyone having trouble with summoning cooperators?

I'm getting "cannot summon cooperator" probably 8/10 times, and when I do get someone, every time they've gotten disconnected after a few minutes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't remember his name but the guy who stands next to D totally just vanished before I could even start to look for the girl he was looking for and I'm sure that means I have completely hosed whatever quest line he has and it makes me uncomfy every time I return to the Roundtable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nyoro posted:

I don't remember his name but the guy who stands next to D totally just vanished before I could even start to look for the girl he was looking for and I'm sure that means I have completely hosed whatever quest line he has and it makes me uncomfy every time I return to the Roundtable

You haven't hosed up the quest. You just have to find him out in the world.

If you want to know where: he's in Liurnia of the Lakes. Check around the Academy Gate Town ruins.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Does your tear care about weapon requirements? Not going to see the stats for Moonveil before I finish the game and respec for turbofarming but it'd be cool to put it on the tear for one boss.

Harrow posted:

It didn't have things like (spirit ash spoilers) the Mimic Tear or a completely intended way to temporarily turn off your FP spending so you can channel a "hold down this laser beam for as long as you have FP" spell way, way longer than normal.

It's my one memorized spell for bosses. Seeing as you basically need to nohit them in the first place, and everything else is considerably lower damage, I'm sure they'll nerf it in the future. Will have to look up how people do some of these in melee because I'm wearing some heavy rear end armor and every hit requires a flask if not two.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally beat him. What an awful fight. Nothing about any aspect of that felt good.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Oh baby, if you hated fighting Radahn, From put in a shardbearer that is hilariously easy just to make it up to you.

Rykart was a complete joke fight if you use the gimmick weapon that they graciously put in the boss room before he aggros.

Interestingly, I have had zero success cooping on him after though. With coop, his 2nd phase health pool is so big that we can't get him dead before he starts nuking the entire battlefield with lava and skulls. I never even saw that part when I solo'd him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

You haven't hosed up the quest. You just have to find him out in the world.

If you want to know where: he's in Liurnia of the Lakes. Check around the Academy Gate Town ruins.

Hot drat thanks for the hot tip

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol are they loving serious with this radahn fight? this is going to take a while.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can’t believe it… I actually found an invisible wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mailer posted:

It's my one memorized spell for bosses. Seeing as you basically need to nohit them in the first place, and everything else is considerably lower damage, I'm sure they'll nerf it in the future. Will have to look up how people do some of these in melee because I'm wearing some heavy rear end armor and every hit requires a flask if not two.

I think the reason I'm less certain of a nerf is that From put a lot of blatantly overpowered things in this game. Like, the mimic tear on its own makes a significant number of bosses, even endgame bosses, a lot easier, and there's no way From didn't know that when they put it in.

I'm more worried about things getting nerfed for PvP balance (and thus becoming useless in PvE) than I am about things being nerfed to preserve the challenge of PvE, because there's so much in the game that is so strong I can't imagine it wasn't on purpose. Miyazaki did say he expected more people to be able to finish Elden Ring and while the sheer size of the game does make me kind of laugh at that, I suspect the sheer number of overpowered-seeming ways to make things easier on yourself were implemented for that exact reason.