Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Technically Putin still has an out - he can say they killed all the nazis and they blew up all of Ukraine’s military equipment so the mission is over and they can go home now. It won’t be believed by anyone outside of Russia but it wouldn’t be meant for anyone outside of Russia anyway.

The problem will be what Ukraine does with Crimea and the Donbas with all of their new toys.

He could try that but honestly I suspect even if he totally withdrew AND all the sanctions were lifted immediately, Russia would still be utterly hosed for the foreseeable future due to knock-on effects.

The big problem is that nobody outside Russia wants to do any business with Russia now for the foreseeable future because they're worse than broke, they're unreliable. Even if you go back in and re-open your stores in Russia or whatever, what happens next year when Putin does something else stupid and moronic and destructive, like trying to invade Finland or some poo poo?

Nobody's gonna want to even try to re-open Nordstream 2 even if everything went back to normal tomorrow. The risk factor is too amplified now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

https://twitter.com/5inan_/status/1500133780350197766

"Look at the wooden shields that the world's 2nd largest army made on their vehicles."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ikasuhito posted:

"Look at the wooden shields that the world's 2nd largest army made on their vehicles."

Is it to block heat signature from the radiators?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

steinrokkan posted:

I was thinking more to stop small arms in ambushes. Either way that's absolutely bizarre.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Oryx has now updated the list of downed aircraft since *checks notes* an hour ago

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500134424368848899?t=rxGpepI2RTaeWkEUa0L6cA&s=19

Speaking of anti-air
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500128090399379462?t=KI2Qaw8PLC5cBixWo6qvkQ&s=19

As for the Kharkiv counteroffensive...
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500127070214668288?t=oRaHJDdL72Zx4O3SUnZhzg&s=19
...one could say it seems to be going well

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah I don't think any helicopter pilot wants to Twilight Zone themselves with an eject button. But do helicopters have parachutes or something so they and jump out the side doors? I guess they usually fly pretty low so might not be any chance there.

you're supposed to auto rotate down so you cushion your landing basically. Obv with a certain level of damage that is impossible.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

it is most likely more desperation armor. soldiers gluing all kinds of wacky bullshit to their vehicles is as old as anti-vehicle weapons. the best thing these guys have at hand is logs and rope, so thats what they're using. it is a really bad sign that the russian soldiers feel like they need to resort to this, meaning they've definitely got a negative attitude towards their survivability in supply trucks (things you generally want to avoid putting anywhere they can be shot at) and these guys also have the time to sit around and treehouse their vehicles in the middle of a war zone

here's another example from ww2, just cover your tank in sandbags i guess

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 5, 2022

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ikasuhito posted:

Bless us, Father Wood.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

steinrokkan posted:

No , it’s to stop a single bullet to the radiator stopping an entire column

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, and/or make the trucks even more unreliable because now they keep overheating and maybe spontaneously catch fire.

But serious answer, it also protects the engine against small arms fire.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

you can't really predict a flight in combat like this. i think it was just lucky that the drone was there to catch that shootdown at such a clear angle.
Could also explain why it's reaching us while most other operations from the UA's army has been shrouded in secret. It is a good shot for propaganda.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wouldn’t the wooden logs placed in the front also help with like using the vehicles to push other cars/heavy machinery? I’d imagine the wood would prevent crushing damage against the frame by distributing the force around.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In other news did you forget that the Russian propaganda corps was full of monsters? Let me fix that for you
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1500135273291735045?t=zG5R6tg7UFAjeZteM2ivcA&s=19

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wouldn’t the wooden logs placed in the front also help with like using the vehicles to push other cars/heavy machinery? I’d imagine the wood would prevent crushing damage against the frame by distributing the force around.

generally its better to not ram other vehicles with your fuel truck, if possible

this advice varies depending on the desperateness of the immediate situation

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ikasuhito posted:

I'm sure your army resorting to tactics straight out of an episode of The A Team is a good sign and implies unquestioned superiority and control of the situation

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you had a team of MANPADS couldn’t you use a few simple drones to monitor when things were coming into range and get your teams pointed in the right direction?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

generally its better to not ram other vehicles with your fuel truck, if possible

I’m not talking about ramming things around. I’m talking about using it to push disabled cars out of the way so that the fuel truck, if that’s what it is) can keep on driving forward to supply.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1500136674352848898

That didn't last long.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
As a complete amateur on military matters: I know that having a Tank is better than not having one, but how useful those mothballed USSR-stocks, that are shipped from the Pacific coast are? Russia seems to be having problems with their modern stuff, so bringing in armor with obsolete optics seems less than ideal, especially since they are the ones supposedly on offensive. And they all need logistics as well.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He could try that but honestly I suspect even if he totally withdrew AND all the sanctions were lifted immediately, Russia would still be utterly hosed for the foreseeable future due to knock-on effects.

The big problem is that nobody outside Russia wants to do any business with Russia now for the foreseeable future because they're worse than broke, they're unreliable. Even if you go back in and re-open your stores in Russia or whatever, what happens next year when Putin does something else stupid and moronic and destructive, like trying to invade Finland or some poo poo?

Nobody's gonna want to even try to re-open Nordstream 2 even if everything went back to normal tomorrow. The risk factor is too amplified now.

Risk doesn't like Risk.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Hiekkakauppias posted:

As a complete amateur on military matters: I know that having a Tank is better than not having one, but how useful those mothballed USSR-stocks, that are shipped from the Pacific coast are? Russia seems to be having problems with their modern stuff, so bringing in armor with obsolete optics seems less than ideal, especially since they are the ones supposedly on offensive. And they all need logistics as well.

They can't even fuel the ones they have on the field.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not just old stuff that's on the offensive, the most recent t-90 and t-80 models have been fighting too. And frankly, Russia simply doesn't have any tanks that aren't some kind of cold war conversion, their next gen tank program has been stalled for a decade now

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hiekkakauppias posted:

They probably haven't been driven in 20 years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Boss man said send everything

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ejection seats for helicopters do exist, you just have to blow the rotors off first. they're pretty rare

"Rare" is really under selling it. There's the Gator and…nothing else I think.

If anyone wants to see what that could look like, and can still stomach people playing war in a game, there's a video of an ejection from a helicopter that was high enough to eject: Happens at 1:30 (Arma)

The helicopter in the real life clip was too low to do anything of the sort even if it was one with an ejection system. The height is extremely lethal even if you don't get shot at.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

More good news (from the state organ Global Times) but surely a coincidence, nothing to do with the fine state of the Russian army:

China announced on Saturday its plan to boost the country's defense budget by 7.1 percent, to a total of 1.45 trillion yuan ($230 billion) in 2022, with analysts saying that the proposed budget growth is steady and reasonable at a time when China needs to modernize its military capabilities to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity amid severe external threats and an unstable security environment.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

the popes toes posted:

More good news (from the state organ Global Times) but surely a coincidence, nothing to do with the fine state of the Russian army:

China announced on Saturday its plan to boost the country's defense budget by 7.1 percent, to a total of 1.45 trillion yuan ($230 billion) in 2022, with analysts saying that the proposed budget growth is steady and reasonable at a time when China needs to modernize its military capabilities to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity amid severe external threats and an unstable security environment.

Isn’t that also basically last year’s inflation number?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and/or make the trucks even more unreliable because now they keep overheating and maybe spontaneously catch fire.

But serious answer, it also protects the engine against small arms fire.

Well it might also be because of the temps causing issues with the engines. I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator systems have proper levels of anti-freeze in them so doing that might be helping the engines still run in cold weather. I know in heavy trucks and even some military vehicles people use cardboard for this very reason. Judging by the state of everything else in the Russian military this could be a very possible scenario.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Isn’t that also basically last year’s inflation number?

Probably. But also

"The growth in budget is also needed because some external forces have been constantly enhancing their military deployment and stirring up trouble near China"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Those trucks are carrying bridge segments. I guess the pine or birch logs might be there to form a short section of corduroy road. Makes some sense if they are engineers.

You are correct about ramming with the fuel truck, especially since Belarusian and Russian fuel trucks have the exhaust relocated underneath the front bumper to mitigate flash/sparks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If you had a team of MANPADS couldn’t you use a few simple drones to monitor when things were coming into range and get your teams pointed in the right direction?

the WSJ had a reported piece with Ukrainian special forces that said basically exactly this, they had a small team (with snipers/manpads) using handheld unarmed drones with thermal imaging to pick targets

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 5, 2022

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Ikasuhito posted:

Nice kindling for napalm.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I feeling pretty confident Ukraine has already won this war, but I am not a professional military analyst, so maybe all of the talk about the Russians adapting, occupying Ukraine and fight a 20 year insurgency will still come to pass.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Djarum posted:

Well it might also be because of the temps causing issues with the engines. I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator systems have proper levels of anti-freeze in them so doing that might be helping the engines still run in cold weather. I know in heavy trucks and even some military vehicles people use cardboard for this very reason. Judging by the state of everything else in the Russian military this could be a very possible scenario.

Looking at the rotting tires and leaking seals, I would be surprised if they have +5yo coolant in them or what's left of it.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Not even that , in my short stint in my armies defense force we rigged at4s in bushes and tree's with strings so that you could hide behind a rock or in a hole and remote activate them. Combine that with some drones for spotting and that should be a fairly safe way of shooting some apc's.

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That is a lot of aircraft any way you look at it

For someone like Russia with a sizeable airforce, is it really that many losses though?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

My question is, doesn't walling off your radiator with a log cabin have performance consequences? Surely enough of your trucks have failed engines.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ZombieLenin posted:

I feeling pretty confident Ukraine has already won this war, but I am not a professional military analyst, so maybe all of the talk about the Russians adapting, occupying Ukraine and fight a 20 year insurgency will still come to pass.

I think there's time for Russia to adapt and still win since as of this moment they have a lot more equipment and soldiers than Ukraine does. Obviously at some point, if they do not adapt, that will no longer be the case.

MRLOLAST posted:

Not even that , in my short stint in my armies defense force we rigged at4s in bushes and tree's with strings so that you could hide behind a rock or in a hole and remote activate them. Combine that with some drones for spotting and that should be a fairly safe way of shooting some apc's.

I guess in theory you could have the string tied to another drone that takes off when you want to fire, and then you could do this from a mile away.

Saint Kyivanka posted:

For someone like Russia with a sizeable airforce, is it really that many losses though?

I think at this point we have to ask if all those planes are combat ready.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Saint Kyivanka posted:

it would be survivable in a sense if

1) there were indications they were getting meaningful wins in exchange for these losses

2) if Russia's air force was really as potent and sizeable as it's cracked up to be, they'd be fielding hundreds of planes at once, not like two, and anybody popping up to launch a manpad would get splatted by rockets from the other five helicopters in each air convoy.

They aren't, so that indicates they actually can't. Which means these losses are even more significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

My question is, doesn't walling off your radiator with a log cabin have performance consequences? Surely enough of your trucks have failed engines.

10 day weather has it between 25-45 degrees, if anything it'll help get glow plugs started quicker