Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I know everyone is in love with int casters right now, but does anyone have any experience using faith spells for damage?

Wondering because some of the later ones seem tricky to dodge, but that might be because I haven't seen them used against me much yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Lightning Spear has never left my spell slots since I got it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Looks like the game is shorter then I assumed.
Margit fight is from 45:00 to 45:50, the interesting thing is that they use no parries. Instead a standard longsword +14 and the square off weapon art seems quite powerful.
I did stop watching when they got to the point where I am, so I don't know which endgame weapon they go for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lDh8IX8g4&t=2700s

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

How many spirit ash boosters or whatever am I likely to find? I really like the idea of boosting the nobles as far as they'll go as a gimmick but I'm a little concerned theres a set amount

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Finally got the last stone I needed to push my hammer to +24 and therefore +25 since I had that one for a while and, errr, WTF?! The +25 "upgrade" is a massive decrease in damage... Is that the price of the story-related godslaying power? That sucks if you have to downgrade your favourite weapon to be able to beat the game with it... Or does it gain some hidden extra against bosses that compensates for the loss? Edit: also, got the final stone for the somber weapon and here no problem, the +10 upgrade just goes up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Looks like the game is shorter then I assumed.
Margit fight is from 45:00 to 45:50, the interesting thing is that they use no parries. Instead a standard longsword +14 and the square off weapon art seems quite powerful.
I did stop watching when they got to the point where I am, so I don't know which endgame weapon they go for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lDh8IX8g4&t=2700s

If you have to get two great runes then the total number of absolutely necessary bosses to fight is eleven, I believe. Any% will be pretty quick.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

How many spirit ash boosters or whatever am I likely to find? I really like the idea of boosting the nobles as far as they'll go as a gimmick but I'm a little concerned theres a set amount

I think all upgrades except for the absolute top tier are infinite.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

You can eventually find bell bearings to allow you to buy all but the final grave and ghost gloveworts.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I had a message with like 5 likes, which I guess was enough for it to show up more because now I’m getting heals from it every couple of minutes. I cant imagine what its like for people with hundreds of likes, must be easy mode (wow just like real life…)

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

:lol:

carefully do hit and run attacks on radahn: die like 10 times

2hand bloodhound fang and get all up in his face mashing attack: die twice and kill him in under a minute the 3rd time

why does this strategy work every single time

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Just encountered the Ball Bearing Hunter. Will it still attack me if I change my character to a female?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Harold Fjord posted:

The combat has regressed since Sekiro but everything else is perfect. 10/10

I have just been goofing off on the Weeping Peninsula and intentionally not progressing too fast because I don’t want game to end.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm channeling my inner iron shelk for this post

IF YOU ARE A LOBSTER GO gently caress YOURSELF

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah bloodhound fang has to be one of the best greatswords, especially for how early you can get it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I started watching youtubers playing this, and somehow the most consistently funny reactions is: "do I look like I know what a stele is?" face for the map tutorial.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

2hand bloodhound fang and get all up in his face mashing attack: die twice and kill him in under a minute the 3rd time

that was the strategy taught to me by taurus demon and i'll never stop

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

queeb posted:

yeah bloodhound fang has to be one of the best greatswords, especially for how early you can get it.

can you add blood grease to it? i know it already has internal bleed

also is there a talisman that works particularly well with it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

can you add blood grease to it? i know it already has internal bleed

also is there a talisman that works particularly well with it?

Yes, Bloodhound Fang can be buffed.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Haligtree might be my new favorite FromSoft area. It's HUGE, and the boss came to here play Bloodborne with her rally mechanic, which is hilarious and a real interesting challenge even when you're level 120. Do not sleep on the obtuse quest that takes you there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I bet there's a speed run category for never resting at sites of grace since you can refill your flasks in the game world

I think that's the one I'm most interested in.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Slowpoke! posted:

I have just been goofing off on the Weeping Peninsula and intentionally not progressing too fast because I don’t want game to end.

i'm 60 hours in now and the game is really way bigger than i was expecting. new areas just keep appearing.

i'm actually getting a bit burned out now, which is to be expected after a week of playing many hours a day, and impressive the game managed to keep me pretty obsessed for that long.

i'll probably just chip away at what remains over the next couple of weeks now. since there's barely any story, i don't feel a need to complete this in terms of the main final boss, whoever it is. i'll just keep doing all the stuff that isn't (endgame objective spoiler) burning the erdtree

where i am:

beat morgott a while ago and explored the giant area little, then did (i think) all of ranni's questline and i left off at the start of volcano manor

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

as an astrologer, is it worth investing 17 dex for a magic rogier’s rapier, or are there better alternatives with better int scaling and lower dex requirements?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

it's a similar principal for the bell-bearing hunter. all his nastiest attacks are at mid-to-long range

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I knew that first stage of renalla was too easy. And then the second phase was too until she summoned a fuckin dragon that conveniently loving stomped on my head as I was about to finish the bitch off

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ulvir posted:

as an astrologer, is it worth investing 17 dex for a magic rogier’s rapier, or are there better alternatives with better int scaling and lower dex requirements?

Better Int scaling, yes. Lower Dex requirements, no.

The best Int weapon in the game, most likely, requires 12 Str and 18 Dex to wield (Moonveil). There's also the late-game Dark Moon Greatsword that requires 16 Strength.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tolomeo beat radahn at SL1, only took like.. six hours

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
consider Wing of Astel (Str 7, Dex 17, Int 20) or Bastard's Stars (Str 8, Dex 22, Int 22). not sure they have better Int scaling and clearly not lower requirements, but they have a ludicrously powerful weapon art

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I love hearing the screams. Thought you were safe farming runes here eh Tarnished?

https://giant.gfycat.com/VibrantHomelyAmphibian.mp4

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

What's up with the mausoleums? I duped Godrick's boss soul in the one in Limgrave, but neither of the two in Liurnia are letting me dupe Rennalas. Is each one tied to a specific boss, and if so, is hers somewhere else?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

consider Wing of Astel (Str 7, Dex 17, Int 20) or Bastard's Stars (Str 8, Dex 22, Int 22). not sure they have better Int scaling and clearly not lower requirements, but they have a ludicrously powerful weapon art

I realized I hadn't seen gameplay with Wing of Astel yet and holy poo poo it has projectiles on its heavy attacks? That's cool as hell

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
drat, ran into my first annoying bug. Was curious what the end of Irina and Edgar’s quest was since I couldn’t find him again after he was declaring revenge for the death of his daughter. Turns out he’s supposed to invade at a specific shack, but nothing I did could get it to trigger. Several people online suffering this bug as well, which apparently means you can’t complete a small quest line involving Shabiri grapes. Since it’s broken for me looked up the quest line and the end reward is a flipping frenzy seal which buffs frenzy spells.

Frenzy spells being something I really like and have invested in. Typical! Suppose I can do the quest line again in New game plus or something.

Right, back to not looking up *anything* so I can continue blissfully unaware for this playthrough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harrow posted:

I realized I hadn't seen gameplay with Wing of Astel yet and holy poo poo it has projectiles on its heavy attacks? That's cool as hell

yeah it looks cool as poo poo, matches the Carian Knight armor set, has the Moonlight Greatsword-style heavy attack beams, the weapon art creates an arc of delayed blast explosions perfectly synced to a knocked-down enemy getting back up (and that deals like 2500+ damage to big body bosses if you position it right), and also it's a curved sword so it's fast and has a pretty decent moveset. it's insane.

i'm going into NG+ purely so i can get two of them to powerstance

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I don't want to fight cruicible knights anymore

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Boo just maxed out my flask charges at 14, that's the most of any game but I was hoping they'd let me go crazy and just keep letting me get charges

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

satanic splash-back posted:

I know everyone is in love with int casters right now, but does anyone have any experience using faith spells for damage?

Wondering because some of the later ones seem tricky to dodge, but that might be because I haven't seen them used against me much yet.

Lightning Spear, Madness Eyes (the AOE one), Blackflame Fireball are my go-to's for damage. Lightning bolt can be charged up for extra damage + Madness Eye-Lasers shoot out more bolts if you charge it up. They're not AMAZING but mixed with any divine weapon (you can find the Sanctified Whetblade in the Capital) and you're pretty set. I've not had too much trouble in playthrough (level 110 now)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'd love to find more cool STR/FTH scaling weapons. So far I only have the golden halberd and the gold scythe.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I made a warrior to try out one of the "get OP early" videos and try out some actual fighting (have been casting glintstone pebble for 45 hours on my other character). I cannot escape magic. Why not drop 2 points in this character to get 12 int and have a blue glowing great epee? I need a new gimmick but splashing magic is so cool.

I could use the bloody affinity weapon arts on something. Any particularly cool weapon arts for great epee?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah it looks cool as poo poo, matches the Carian Knight armor set, has the Moonlight Greatsword-style heavy attack beams, the weapon art creates an arc of delayed blast explosion perfectly synced to a knocked-down enemy getting back up (and that deals like 2500+ damage to big body bosses if you position it right), and also it's a curved sword so it's fast and has a pretty decent moveset. it's insane.

i'm going into NG+ purely so i can get two of them to powerstance

I love how the more I learn about the cool weapons in this game, the more I'm like, yeah, people are going to forget about Moonveil in a month or so. It's extremely cool and powerful but it certainly isn't alone in that.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Radahn down this morning, feeling like a real boss.

Here’s my philosophy on people complaining about balance: who loving cares. This game is entirely about getting your rear end pounded in while exploring an amazing world, getting over your bullshit, and then becoming a living god who engages with that amazing world as their playground.

If you want to be miserable then do a SL 1 run. Nobody is forcing you to use any of the weapons, so shut the gently caress up.

Finding ways to make your character OP as gently caress has been a staple of RPGs since AD&D how are people mad about this

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I do wonder if they're going to deliberately leave some of the summons + weapons significantly overtuned as a nod to easier difficulty 'settings'. Though if that was the intention I do think the mimic tear would be acquired much sooner.