Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Basticle posted:

I assume that's https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347550/Tiny_Combat_Arena/ which intentionally looks like a flight sim from like 1994

:aaaaa:

12 year old me just had a brain aneurysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

Israel does seem like a country that could play the honest broker for both of them. A negotiated settlement is still likely the best outcome, so I'm taking any hints that point in that direction as a good sing.

Still have absolutely no reason to believe that
1. Putin wants to negotiate
2. He would honor said negotiations
3. That there's anything to gain by negotiating with a man who has openly said, even after being faced with possible military losses that the only way it would end is with Ukraine surrendering.

https://twitter.com/lfrayer/status/1500077720272875522?s=20&t=n7fPkOPEbK0MHpaKYvDQ4A

This is what Russian negotiations result in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Israel worked with apartheid South Africa to do joint nuclear tests while everyone else was done with their poo poo so I think this much more of a business trip

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Israel reminding Russia that they're making them look bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Or the absolute worst case scenario - Israel invades Ukraine under auspice of denazification.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

Or the absolute worst case scenario - Israel invades Ukraine under auspice of denazification.

Black comedy option

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Still have absolutely no reason to believe that
1. Putin wants to negotiate
2. He would honor said negotiations
3. That there's anything to gain by negotiating with a man who has openly said, even after being faced with possible military losses that the only way it would end is with Ukraine surrendering.

https://twitter.com/lfrayer/status/1500077720272875522?s=20&t=n7fPkOPEbK0MHpaKYvDQ4A

This is what Russian negotiations result in.

I saw a goon posting that if anyone were going to violate the ceasefire it would be Ukraine, because Russia does these all the time. So much for that.

I see no reason to expect that carving off half of Ukraine in exchange for a Russian pullout would be anything but a temporary reprieve. They’re out for genocide.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 5, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Big K of Justice posted:

It seems off because it's done footage with robotic/rc camera motion, which seems odd because this would imply that they had time to set up the shot, which would also imply that the Russians are flying the same route over and over again or flying in a really long staggered out formation.

Could it be a drone with a 360 camera with a digital pan/zoom afterwards? much easier than to try to aim a fixed lens

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I saw a goon posting that if anyone were going to violate the ceasefire it would be Ukraine, because Russia does these all the time. So much for that.

I see no reason to expect that carving off half of Ukraine in exchange for a Russian pullout would be anything but a temporary reprieve. They’re out for genocide.

Not genocide - total compliance. They want a compliant ruler in charge who will do exactly what they say. Putin doesn't want to kill all Ukrainians. He wants them subservient to him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

The fire and smoke look too good for this to be fake.

Here's a screenshot I took just now in the most recently released flight sim available. The smoke and fire look nowhere near as good in the video.

You've been jonesing to post a screenshot from that game haven't you? :D

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not genocide - total compliance. They want a compliant ruler in charge who will do exactly what they say. Putin doesn't want to kill all Ukrainians. He wants them subservient to him.

Basically the Chechen model.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cultural genocide.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think if Russia thought they only needed to install a compliant leader we wouldn’t be seeing any of this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

davecrazy posted:

:aaaaa:

12 year old me just had a brain aneurysm.

shame on an IGA posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this, F15 Strike Eagle in glorious 4k is every dream I've ever had

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh that’s amazing finally a modern one that isn’t a hyper-realism turbo nerd one or super simple arcade shooter

Just so you guys are aware, it's in early access. Still not a whole lot to do yet and you can only fly the Harrier for now.

CainFortea posted:

You've been jonesing to post a screenshot from that game haven't you? :D

I thought it was a good place for it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status/1500093881349808128?s=20&t=n-buJlQkIaCj6IVOR0PuCw

I'm starting to think that the Deltas from Animal House could defeat the Russians in a standup fight.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Big K of Justice posted:

If it's fake then someone spent a few hundred thousand dollars minimum on manhours to generate it, that's high end work requiring a large sim farm, too much small details that usually signal fake.

(I worked in the industry for 24+ years, including ILM a few times)

I'll point out one dead giveaway of fakes:

- fakes usually have monochrome smoke, that' is it's all the same values, not mixed opacity/colors* in the video[eg the smoke in air vs after it hits the ground and the fuel goes up after the impact, different values/ranges]
-all the small dirt hits from debris hitting the field.

It seems off because it's done footage with robotic/rc camera motion, which seems odd because this would imply that they had time to set up the shot, which would also imply that the Russians are flying the same route over and over again or flying in a really long staggered out formation.

*- if you got months of time and a huge farm to run fluid sims you can replicate this but it usually takes too much time, and people who can do this level of work isn't doing it for free.

Thanks for this reply, I appreciate the insight!

It's still surreal to see high intensity conventional war through modern cameras, let alone drone shots apparently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm starting to think that the Deltas from Animal House could defeat the Russians in a standup fight.

Imagine what the Tri-Lambs would come up with.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A Russian fire team got captured because they took a goddamned elevator. Jesus Christ, even Elmer Fudd wouldn't fall for that one.

It's gotta take tremendous effort to be this bad at war.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status/1500093881349808128?s=20&t=n-buJlQkIaCj6IVOR0PuCw

jesus christ if they dont surrender i expect them to be eating each other in a few days.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

In case of fire or war, please use the stairs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I suppose they might've been trying to get captured and this seemed as good a way as any.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh that’s amazing finally a modern one that isn’t a hyper-realism turbo nerd one or super simple arcade shooter

If you fly the Flaming Cliffs 3 planes from DCS they are not turbo-nerd realistic. They all have simplified systems and no clicky cockpit. The F15C is one of them, there's also a free SU25T.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ukraine found a way to make the raputisa even worse.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1500141642472312837

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SlowBloke posted:

I think the message of "air transport cargo space is limited, don't send us broken poo poo" might be lost in translation from Ukrainian to twitter snippets. I think opening the crates before shipping could have been a quick way to assess that the stocks are hosed rather than using UA army as an impromptu waste disposal.

I get the sentiment and I'm entirely with you there, but I don't think you fully appreciate the "big picture". Ukraine - at this point - welcomes literally every form of weapons shipment, which are increasingly coming in over land-borders (because air freight into Ukraine is - obviously - becoming an increasing issue), and they're not exactly doing QA-inspections on the incoming goods and going "Uhh...the expiration date on these has clearly passed, send them right the gently caress back".

It's not an issue of "they could have opened the crates before shipping them", because they absolutely opened the crates, looked at the content and went "well this is mostly explosives and also a whole lot of mildew, I guess half of this poo poo may still shoot down a Russian built piece of aviation".
This was public knowledge (and a bit of an internal shitstorm internally) before they even were sent on their way to Ukraine (someone in this thread even pointed out that Germany was "augmenting" their shipment with actual Stingers)

tl;dr: it's embarassing as hell because lol Germany, but it did not impact the rate at which arms support is being funnelled into Ukraine

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1500196510054637569?s=21

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Honest question...do you demand they surrender or do you drop a molotov down the elevator shaft? What's the proper course of action with a squad of dudes who are trapped like that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

davecrazy posted:

Honest question...do you demand they surrender or do you drop a molotov down the elevator shaft? What's the proper course of action with a squad of dudes who are trapped like that?

Yeah I was wondering that too. I mean they could also cut the elevator and drop it, with the reason of preventing easier reinforcements. That said it’s preferable if they give a chance to surrender and these guys decide dying in elevator for the Motherland isn’t really worth it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

davecrazy posted:

I’d hope they’d give them a chance to surrender before dropping in explosives. That would be a bad way to die and would assume they’d realize their situation was hopeless.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You demand surrender: so long as they're stuck in the elevator they are at the mercy of whomever controls the building and they know it. There's approximately squat that they can do from the inside. They'll lay down arms if you demand it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Maybe don't use incindiaries at the nuclear power plant.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1500173979893608450?s=20&t=WVAVqgYmzFBcw1fHfC397g

Stop the invasion and leave Ukraine and the arms shipments would stop

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ask them to surrender, and if they don't, then block the emergency hatch and ask again in a day or two.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

I think Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 shows that Russia is a larger threat to airlines than terrorists.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The bit about the nukes is funny

E: in that alleged FSB guy letter

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

M_Gargantua posted:

Could it be a drone with a 360 camera with a digital pan/zoom afterwards? much easier than to try to aim a fixed lens

Yup (btw I wasn't claiming the video was fake at all, I believe it to be 100% legit), that would also explain that.

I hope no one was in the house/building it crashed into, looked like there was something squarish in that group of trees, I guess we'll know for sure when it gets geolocated.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I think they'll find the west is extremely tolerant of acceptable terrorism

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I get the sentiment and I'm entirely with you there, but I don't think you fully appreciate the "big picture". Ukraine - at this point - welcomes literally every form of weapons shipment, which are increasingly coming in over land-borders (because air freight into Ukraine is - obviously - becoming an increasing issue), and they're not exactly doing QA-inspections on the incoming goods and going "Uhh...the expiration date on these has clearly passed, send them right the gently caress back".

It's not an issue of "they could have opened the crates before shipping them", because they absolutely opened the crates, looked at the content and went "well this is mostly explosives and also a whole lot of mildew, I guess half of this poo poo may still shoot down a Russian built piece of aviation".
This was public knowledge (and a bit of an internal shitstorm internally) before they even were sent on their way to Ukraine (someone in this thread even pointed out that Germany was "augmenting" their shipment with actual Stingers)

tl;dr: it's embarassing as hell because lol Germany, but it did not impact the rate at which arms support is being funnelled into Ukraine

I'll have to add to my post that we've apparently not just sent Strelas. It seems that there were two shipments, one with 1000 Panzerfaust 3s and 500 Stingers (probably the entirety of functional AT/AA stock we have), and the second with poo poo that barely works.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Go Deutschland!

:cripes:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ukraine MoD update. Notes:
-Hard to say from the translation, but it sounds like Russia's turning to Wagner group to carry out SOF activities, probably due to their own massive losses.
-UKA bagged and tagged another senior officer - a regimental commander from the Southern Military District (currently pushing up from the south from Crimea via Kherson). No location given, but I've seen news outlets discussing fierce fighting around Mykolaiv
-The two planes and at least one helicopter listed have been confirmed via footage/photos
-Sounds like the Russian efforts to encircle Kyiv from the east have hit a snag. Brovary and Peremoha, the two areas mentioned, are about 10-12km east of the city center.
-Not mentioned here, but several news outlets have reported on a Ukrainian counter-attack/break-out in Kharkhiv.
-Separatists pushing in from Luhansk and Donetsk have fallen back after the Ukrainians took back Horlivka, which is a fairly major town in the Donbas

quote:

During the tenth day of the Ukrainian people’s heroic resistance with the russian military invasion, the invaders, failing to achieve the goal of an offensive operation in a timely manner, continue to launch missile and bomb strikes, including using bomber aircraft on civilian infrastructure.
So, today the enemy struck at Bila Tserkva, more than 20 houses were damaged. In Irpen, the bombing damaged a railway track and disrupted a train used to evacuate civilians.
According to the available information, with the beginning of the armed aggression against Ukraine, the activities of russian private military campaigns (PMC) to recruit personnel who have experience of military service in special forces and have appropriate training have intensified. So, in Rostov-on-Don the headquarters of PMC Wagner is developed.
The occupiers continue to use the russian "masses" to prepare video reports on the "success" of the "operation" in Ukraine.
On the approaches to Brovary, near the settlement of Peremoha, the defenders of Ukraine inflicted an air strike on 15 separate motorized infantry brigades of the Central Military District of the russian occupiers, the losses are being clarified.
In addition, units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine destroyed the commander of the 247th Guards Assault Regiment of the Southern Military District of the RF Armed Forces, Colonel Konstantin Zizevsky.
Also 2 planes of the Russian occupiers were shot down, 3 pilots were taken prisoner, 1 - was destroyed. 5 helicopters and 1 enemy UAV were shot down.
Let's win together!
Glory to Ukraine!

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think they'll find the west is extremely tolerant of acceptable terrorism

I mean he’s not wrong but it’s kinda like breaking into someone’s house getting into a shootout with them and then lecturing them about the risks guns in the house pose to children and elevated suicide.