Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Doom Patrol is my second favorite DC thing but also not in the same league of or on the same planet as Peacemaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

then why is your first instinct to defend him lol this is a patriarchy trap post

Because I like his work and want more of it. I'm pretty much thinking like a "gently caress it, I don't care if they're made by enslaved children, I want these Kathie Lee Gifford clothes" consumer. But yeah, I'll give the issue a real look. I'm just hoping Ellis doesn't turn out to be Kevin Spacey levels of awful because I used to love that guy's acting and kind of hate that I can't watch his amazing season of Wiseguy without qualms anymore.

The_Doctor posted:

Doom Patrol! I need to watch it too.

Somehow I kind of bounced off the first episode, but I'll give it another shot.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
imagine stanning the 4th best hellblazer writer so hard u don't care hes a rapey fuckin oval office

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Peacemaker was real good. But now I am going to watch doom patrol because of this thread.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Didn't like Doom Patrol but am eagerly awaiting to see what Gunn's other HBO Max series is gonna be and also Peacemaker Season 2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1499899826405883908?s=21

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
pissing me of he is called the Peacemaker but he doesn't make poo poo. Doesn't have a youtube channel, twitch, doesn't make animations or drawings or sculptures. Maker isn't a title petty violencesmiths should give themselves. To be a Maker puts you on the golden mountain of creators, when you make something you stand next to God, Dream, Seth Rogan, etc. God created the christian planet, Dream pioneered minecraft cheating, Seth Rogan makes ancient vessels of clay. Peacemaker meanwhile, can't even draw that tattoo bird briefly rebellious christian girls get on their foot.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

someusername posted:

imagine stanning the 4th best hellblazer writer so hard u don't care hes a rapey fuckin oval office

You know what, I'll bet at least some of the products that you consume were made/delivered/etc. by rapey cunts. Or have you done in-depth background checks on every single person involved at every step of making every product that you consume? Because I know I haven't.

But from what I've read, nobody (aside from assholes who want to score points/play woke) has accused Ellis of rape. Manipulation? Sure. Leveraging his fame to get sex? Absolutely. But the people who have accused him have entered into arbitration with him and have flatly stated that they do not wish to cancel him. But go ahead and call that rape. It's not like doing that dilutes the strength of actual rape accusations (Oh, wait, yes it does). But you be you. Keep loving that chicken.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

Because I like his work and want more of it. I'm pretty much thinking like a "gently caress it, I don't care if they're made by enslaved children, I want these Kathie Lee Gifford clothes" consumer. But yeah, I'll give the issue a real look. I'm just hoping Ellis doesn't turn out to be Kevin Spacey levels of awful because I used to love that guy's acting and kind of hate that I can't watch his amazing season of Wiseguy without qualms anymore.

Somehow I kind of bounced off the first episode, but I'll give it another shot.

Well at least you're honest. Feels like a lot of women felt wrong by Warren using his notoriety and admin privileges as a web host guy to convince a lot of young people that he loved them and to gently caress him in a hotel. Real groomer poo poo. Dude must had a excel sheet there is such a large count.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Khanstant posted:

pissing me of he is called the Peacemaker but he doesn't make poo poo. Doesn't have a youtube channel, twitch, doesn't make animations or drawings or sculptures. Maker isn't a title petty violencesmiths should give themselves. To be a Maker puts you on the golden mountain of creators, when you make something you stand next to God, Dream, Seth Rogan, etc. God created the christian planet, Dream pioneered minecraft cheating, Seth Rogan makes ancient vessels of clay. Peacemaker meanwhile, can't even draw that tattoo bird briefly rebellious christian girls get on their foot.

what? i heard he makes some pretty killer diaries.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

Well at least you're honest. Feels like a lot of women felt wrong by Warren using his notoriety and admin privileges as a web host guy to convince a lot of young people that he loved them and to gently caress him in a hotel. Real groomer poo poo. Dude must had a excel sheet there is such a large count.

There were something like 60 people involved at the least. I remember the old WEF (Warren Ellis Forum) when it was on Delphi Forums. He'd always pick young, smart, pretty and talented women to be his "filthy assistants" AKA moderators. Now I wonder how many of those were part of that 60+.

Khanstant posted:

He made some lovely music on a piano.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

There were something like 60 people involved at the least. I remember the old WEF (Warren Ellis Forum) when it was on Delphi Forums. He'd always pick young, smart, pretty and talented women to be his "filthy assistants" AKA moderators. Now I wonder how many of those were part of that 60+.

Yeah, I don't want to make this the gross sexual poo poo thread. Let's leave it at Ellis being bad, and talk more about Peace...making

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, I don't want to make this the gross sexual poo poo thread. Let's leave it at Ellis being bad, and talk more about Peace...making

I'm hoping to leave it as Ellis doing bad but now at least starting to become a healthier, non-toxic person (by helping to heal some of the damage he did to those people), but yeah, let's make some Peace.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Everyone posted:

He made some lovely music on a piano.

oh gently caress, i forgot about the forbidden art of sound making. i'm sorry, Peacemaker, you can stand with the Makers.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The only thing he can't make peace with, is himself

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
He made peace with his dad and he also made love with amber and vigilante

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Something really neat to note in here: all of the stuntwork was done through pre-vis by stunt performers and choreographers. This is pretty common, since they're obviously going to be the best at figuring out what works, but a lot of directors completely fail to utilize it. Corridor had the Iron Fist choreographer on and he showed how they utterly ruined their work with bad schedules and wildly stupid decisions on staging and editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TL_OUvTMFg

The action in Peacemaker was good because James Gunn did the right thing and let the stunt professionals choreograph it down to camera angles.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Peacemaker Season 2: why does the Justice League have scabies?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sally posted:

Peacemaker was real good. But now I am going to watch doom patrol because of this thread.

I followed the same advice and Doom Patrol was a real slog after watching Peacemaker. It's a far more fanciful setting, yet the tone is so melodramatic and weepy. On one hand, you have this near-omnipotent 4th wall-breaking monkeycheese narrator villain, and then all of the main characters just unendingly relive the trauma of their origins. You'll have a Nazi super scientist with a puppet show and steampunk contraptions in one chunk of an episode, then a twenty minute flashback to a character being a closeted gay man in the 50s. Well greater than half of the jokes are the characters just going "whaaaaaaaaat" or "well this might as well happen". I made it two episodes into season 2 and gave up.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The phrase "what the gently caress?" is a main character in Doom Patrol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Doom Patrol is a different genre from Peacemaker and deliberately slower and more emotional and more off the wall compared to Peacemaker. It's definitely good in its own way, but it's understandable for someone to like one and not the other.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Everyone posted:

You know what, I'll bet at least some of the products that you consume were made/delivered/etc. by rapey cunts.

This is a spectacular opening line to an argument.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
All I know about Doom Patrol came from Grant Morrison and if it maintains that level of weirdness then I think I am in haha.

Sounds like season 2 is a "watch while folding laundry/doing dishes" season.

(I have really enjoyed how punchy and tightly edited Peacemaker has been)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Doom Patrol is a different genre from Peacemaker and deliberately slower and more emotional and more off the wall compared to Peacemaker. It's definitely good in its own way, but it's understandable for someone to like one and not the other.

It's well made and well shot, but suffers from tremendous tonal whiplash. It could have very easily been goofier or more serious, but fell right into no man's land for me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

theflyingexecutive posted:

I followed the same advice and Doom Patrol was a real slog after watching Peacemaker. It's a far more fanciful setting, yet the tone is so melodramatic and weepy. On one hand, you have this near-omnipotent 4th wall-breaking monkeycheese narrator villain, and then all of the main characters just unendingly relive the trauma of their origins. You'll have a Nazi super scientist with a puppet show and steampunk contraptions in one chunk of an episode, then a twenty minute flashback to a character being a closeted gay man in the 50s. Well greater than half of the jokes are the characters just going "whaaaaaaaaat" or "well this might as well happen". I made it two episodes into season 2 and gave up.

That description reminds me a bit of Umbrella Academy and not in a good way. Umbrella Academy was sold to me as "X-Men but in the "real" world and hosed up in the way that the X-Men would actually be given their situation." And yeah, it kind of was that. But there seemed to be so loving many flashbacks/flash-forwards/flash-sideways and I finally just didn't want male a Crazy Conspiracy Map on my walls to keep track of this stuff, so I dropped it. In Peacemaker Gunn had a story he wanted to tell and he told that story. Flashbacks/exposition were served up only in service to that story and characters.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm not going to say Doom Patrol is for everyone but Umbrella Academy, or at least the original comic (haven't seen the series) was a deliberate knockoff of Grant Morrison's version of Doom Patrol by an inferior writer so that's where the starting point was

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 7, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

Hey yeah what the gently caress? Now I gotta watch it too! I don't even know what the show is, I haven't read that far back in the quotes yet, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The_Doctor posted:

Doom Patrol! I need to watch it too.

This was a nice little Doctor Who fandom moment, over Michelle Gomez, and I’d just like to say I enjoyed witnessing threads collide.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
She really does play it quite a bit like Missy, too; that is, if Missy's redemption arc were allowed to successfully play out.

And as someone mentioned earlier, her chemistry with April Bowlsby was a delight to watch (a reflection of how well they got along off-screen, according to the behind-the-scenes clips)

(Edit: I'll also suggest that if someone is only interested in Gomez, that not a whole lot would be lost by Wiki-ing seasons 1 and 2 and starting with her debut in S3E1. As others have mentioned, season 2 is the weakest, and beyond that I also feel like the characters retread a lot of their character arcs over seasons 1+2 or 2+3; it's a little frustrating)

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 7, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

:actually: those flashbacks were to 1961 (just rewatched that episode tonight, as it turns out). I'm towards the beginning of season 2 in my own watching and am still enjoying it all right, but people definitely shouldn't go in expecting the show to be Peacemaker Jr. They do have a good bit of overlap with the themes of 'metahumans behaving badly', but Peacemaker is an action comedy with bits of drama, Doom Patrol is a drama comedy with bits of action.

vvv Fair enough, the show does seem to have no problems with veering off on a seemingly random tangent just for fun. I assume that's partly them just pulling in random crap from the comic material and fitting it into the show where it kind of works, but I haven't read them so I can't say for sure.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 7, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm not against drama and I'm not against flashbacks, but in DP, their length and tone absolutely suck all the air out of the room and kill the momentum of the episode/arc without particularly advancing any of the character development. It's pretty self-indulgent and condescending to its audience.

I could just be getting tired of ensemble casts in general though. Peacemaker was great in that you had fleshed-out and developed supporting characters, but they were all built out within the context of the plot; it wasn't necessary to watch a ten minute montage of Sophie becoming a good detective and overcoming cop sexism, that all came across in the dialog.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 7, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dawgstar posted:

Especially JLU's conspiracy theorist Question.

Put Question in season 2, it'd be great.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm not against drama and I'm not against flashbacks, but in DP, their length and tone absolutely suck all the air out of the room and kill the momentum of the episode/arc without particularly advancing any of the character development. It's pretty self-indulgent and condescending to its audience.

I could just be getting tired of ensemble casts in general though. Peacemaker was great in that you had fleshed-out and developed supporting characters, but they were all built out within the context of the plot; it wasn't necessary to watch a ten minute montage of Sophie becoming a good detective and overcoming cop sexism, that all came across in the dialog.

Agreed on this. I watched the first two seasons of Doom Patrol last year and it was tough to get through. I watched the first episode of season three a few months ago and just never went back. The show retreads the same trauma over and over again and it was just really boring. Doesn't help that the characters spend a lot of time yelling at each other, and then going off on their own thing a bunch. Only reason I stuck with it was it had some delightfully weird moments, but I kind of hated all the main characters.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I put the first episode of Doom Patrol on the other day for a few minutes and I guess I have to be in the right frame of mind because the narration turned me off almost immediately. I will give it another shot.

Also, I started watching Unreal (Lifetime series about the making of a Bachelor-type show) and Freddie Stoma is the privileged British suitor in the first season.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Put Question in season 2, it'd be great.

We could probably even get Jeffery Combs to do it because Question's the easiest character in the world to stunt double for. And if a horror nerd like Gunn hasn't worked with Combs, I bet he'd love to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If only accept Vic Sage Question in Peacemaker if it's the Zen monk version where he's philosophically waxing all the time and mostly indistinguishable from a guy who's on too much weed and acid, but also highly skilled in martial arts

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Peacemaker is sort of sui generis in its combination of comedy, action, and superheroics. Can't really think of a show that pulls off obscene and hilarious two minute rants with jaw dropping stunts and disgusting splatter, plus comics.

Best I can think of and can recommend are shows that aren't about superheroes. Barry, Archer, Future Man (until the last season)....anyone see Macgruber the TV show?

One random out of the box suggestion: first season of One Punch Man.

Oooh, the Boys! Though because its a little more scattered towards its plotting, its a definite second to Peacemaker.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Oooh, the Boys! Though because its a little more scattered towards its plotting, its a definite second to Peacemaker.

That is a good one. If people are looking for something similar but bouncing off Doom Patrol, give a few episodes of The Boys a try. It's also full of superheroes behaving badly, but more from the perspective of regular people trying to combat them.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It's Garth Ennis so expect some incredibly low brow humor

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

If only accept Vic Sage Question in Peacemaker if it's the Zen monk version where he's philosophically waxing all the time and mostly indistinguishable from a guy who's on too much weed and acid, but also highly skilled in martial arts

That he would be shot in the head and then stroll into the mob boss' house singing O Danny Boy was a given, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pile of brown posted:

The phrase "what the gently caress?" is a main character in Doom Patrol

And absolutely nobody says it better than Brendan Frasier.