Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

The back half of both seasons is where the series shines, but man are the first few episodes a chore to get through on repeat viewings

Just wish it was given more time to breathe and develop before it was unceremoniously axed as focus shifted to Disney+ and the development of The Mandalorian

Resistance tries to squeeze some life out of the sequels to its credit but overall it isn’t that great (as you said, both seasons don’t really start getting good until the back half).

It also doesn’t help that the cast is kind of meh (at best), Filoni wasn’t involved quite as much as he was with the other shows as I understand it, and at the time the show came out I believe they only had one movie to work with

In other news, Bad Batch S2 has been pushed back from its original planned release date of Spring 2022 and is now just TBA:

https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-bad-batch-season-2-release-date-update

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

stev posted:

My favourite storm trooper chumping is Jedi Fallen Order. By hammering the block button when they're firing at you, you one shot most of them without even looking in their direction. Casually mow the fuckers down, then get killed by a spider.

I love how they panic when they do manage to land a hit

"I hit him! ...Why did I do that?!"
"Please don't hurt me!"
"I think we made him angry..."

"A Purge Trooper complimented me yesterday."
"The Second Sister tried to compliment me once, but we were too busy fighting Jedi."
"We are truly assets to the Empire."
"Mhm."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So help me god somebody better bust out a lightsaber soon,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So everyone is chill with this Griff dude being a former TIE pilot and flying a ship that's got a TIE theme and he's got Imperial logo tattoos and poo poo, like, yikes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Brawnfire posted:

So everyone is chill with this Griff dude being a former TIE pilot and flying a ship that's got a TIE theme and he's got Imperial logo tattoos and poo poo, like, yikes

hes on an independent fuel platform in the outer rim, where people like him would go to run from their past and just chill...

also the leader of the platform is ex-imperial too and his ex boss

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just seems like he could tone it down

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Unfortunately they really don't do much more than that for him. I can't even remember if he speaks.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth TNT posted:

Just finished the first season of the Mandalorian.
It was a fine first season. I'd say the final episode was oddly the worst episode.
The show also suffers (though decidedly less then most recent Starwars) from the same "must show every good guy is a bad rear end and explain everything!" attitude. Like the scene with the Mandalorian smith defeating several storm troopers. Just, have her disappear and show up in a next season looking none the worse with some offhand remark that she escaped because she's a Mandalorian. Much stronger message and it allows the Storm Troopers to not look like chumps.

Also, please stop handing out Force heals to everyone Disney. That's dangerous.

I guess the thing I like best is just that it's a fairly low stakes adventure through the world. Looking forward to season 2.

Alas poor IG88, I will miss your practical babysitting.

The Armorer wrecking those fools with forge tools will never not be awesome.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone posted:

The Armorer wrecking those fools with forge tools will never not be awesome.

:hai: I never said it wasn’t.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Agent Tierney? What an oddly normal surname for First Order--

No, wait. Tyranny. Carry on star wars

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

In other news, Bad Batch S2 has been pushed back from its original planned release date of Spring 2022 and is now just TBA:

https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-bad-batch-season-2-release-date-update

That's concerning. I hope it's because Disney wants Filioni to focus on Mando and other live action stuff and not for some other reason

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

That's concerning. I hope it's because Disney wants Filioni to focus on Mando and other live action stuff and not for some other reason

Also, as I understand it animation is pretty labor-intensive and COVID is still a thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didn't you hear? it disappeared over night and we're back to normal

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

site posted:

didn't you hear? it disappeared over night and we're back to normal

I thought it just disappeared from the headlines because Vladamir Putin has decided to kick off WWIII.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no the cdc said we're fine now

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone posted:

I thought it just disappeared from the headlines because Vladamir Putin has decided to kick off WWIII.

That’s just what COVID wants you to think! :tinfoil:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth TNT posted:

That’s just what COVID wants you to think! :tinfoil:

As a dude who works in a "fuel center"/gas station, people are bitching way more about fuel prices than they are about COVID.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

no the cdc said we're fine now

We’ll go back once the Ukraine ends.

Anyway back to Star Wars: tryna figure out when to kick off my prequel binge of watching episodes 1&2 then the clone wars and finishing off with episode 3 before Kenobi drops. Figure it’ll take me about a month to get through the show with my schedule but I wanna start now cus I can’t wait.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just watch the fan edit that trims TCW down into 6 solid movies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I believe Shmi was telling Qui-Gon to gently caress off with his privilege-blind bullshit.

She was a slave, with a literal bomb in her head. All alone on a lawless planet, who had a child and for some reason didn't want to talk about it.

Who knows what horrors she'd been through. Certainly none she'd want to discuss with someone from the most privileged class in the galaxy. You know, the guy thinking about taking away the only thing she loved forever. The guy who didn't view her as enough of a person to do anything to actually help her.

Yeah I really don't think Star Wars was implying that Anakin was a rape baby but if you wanna go all GRRM with your head-canons, you do you.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Just watch the fan edit that trims TCW down into 6 solid movies.

Which arcs do they keep, and which do they discard?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Here's the breakdown on all of them, looks like there's actually just 5.

Of course, everyone's idea of what to keep and what to trim would be different if they were to attempt the same exercise—but I think the creator does a great job at making those calls. They also trim a lot of the sillier material out, which frankly I'm totally okay with even if the actual films have their fair share of that stuff. Plus they're really well made, seamless and interwoven with each other to feel less episodic and more like proper movies.

Would highly recommend tracking them down if that sort of thing would appeal to you.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, that first episode of the second season of Mandelorian is really great. :allears: (killing the Krayt dragon)

Also love that the Marshall was driving around on what looked like a pod racer engine.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Apparently Ahsoka is getting a movie instead of/in addition to the series?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Darth TNT posted:

Also love that the Marshall was driving around on what looked like a pod racer engine.

One of Anakin's pod engines, specifically

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

Man, that first episode of the second season of Mandelorian is really great. :allears: (killing the Krayt dragon)

Yeah, it's the only episode to me that feels like it fully embraces the "let's just make a spaghetti western in space" angle. Plenty of other episodes have moments or use the aesthetic, but that episode is the only one that fully delivers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

feedmyleg posted:

Here's the breakdown on all of them, looks like there's actually just 5.

Of course, everyone's idea of what to keep and what to trim would be different if they were to attempt the same exercise—but I think the creator does a great job at making those calls. They also trim a lot of the sillier material out, which frankly I'm totally okay with even if the actual films have their fair share of that stuff. Plus they're really well made, seamless and interwoven with each other to feel less episodic and more like proper movies.

Would highly recommend tracking them down if that sort of thing would appeal to you.

It looks like those are mostly earlier stories so you'd still want to watch things like Umbara or The Wrong Jedi (or the Mortis arc if you like those). Not to mention the final 4 episodes.

The stuff in movie 2 is skippable too.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Spookydonut posted:

Apparently Ahsoka is getting a movie instead of/in addition to the series?

I googled this and the only things I found were a rumor from 2020 and a horribly written unsourced clickbait article from "giantfreakinrobot.com."

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Scuttlebutt among reliable spoiler droppers seem to say that the Kenobi trailer may drop in the next day or so, possibly even tomorrow.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Teek posted:

Scuttlebutt among reliable spoiler droppers seem to say that the Kenobi trailer may drop in the next day or so, possibly even tomorrow.

People at the store be like "Oi buy one Kenobi please"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
No trailer yet, but EW has pictures:

Images here:

https://ew.com/tv/obi-wan-kenobi-first-look-photos/

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 9, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

quote:

"Thank you, George, for casting Joel Edgerton as Uncle Owen," laughs director Deborah Chow. "That's all I can say."

Also Moses Ingram looks soooo good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Neat!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I didn't realize we were getting the Grand Inquisitor in the series too. Wonder if they're gonna plaster Jason Isaacs in makeup.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Hazo posted:

I didn't realize we were getting the Grand Inquisitor in the series too. Wonder if they're gonna plaster Jason Isaacs in makeup.

Nah, that'll be Rupert Friend.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just googled the cast and holy poo poo. I wonder if Ice Cube is going to be a space cop.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Anita Dickinme posted:

I just googled the cast and holy poo poo. I wonder if Ice Cube is going to be a space cop.

It's his son. And since this in the Empire era, I'm not sure if there are any space cops that aren't just regular ol' Stormtroopers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ewan looking amazing as always as Obi-Wan. Love (casting spoiler) that we're getting another Inquisitor. Not surprising, but still good to get confirmation.

Now I just need a trailer, but I know we tend to not get trailers until we're pretty close to premiere date, now. I'm expecting one near the end of this month, once we're within 2 months of the premiere on May 25th.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 9, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Teek posted:

No trailer yet, but EW has pictures:

Images here:

https://ew.com/tv/obi-wan-kenobi-first-look-photos/

Really dropped the ball by not having the main coverline be "Hello there!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU