Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

defocus your eyes. youre supposed to see a spaceship, putins hand is only part of it.

It's not a spaceship it's a sailboat!

Worst. Snipe. Ever.

Here, have an angry chinchilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/aviation07101/status/1500157654253064195

That seems... bad? The printer ran out of ink for the mission briefing? It's not like the Russian side is short of airbases in friendly territory surely
they upgraded from pencils

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The US Military moves hardware via barge as well. They regularly move tanks and helicopters on the Ohio via barge, normally to Ft. Campbell or Knox. When I worked as a deckhand when I was in college I saw a barge that whatever was on it was covered completely and a whole lot of armed guards around it on a moonless night which was the only time I ever saw that. Normally the tanks, choppers and the like where just tied down in the open with maybe a guy or two out to keep watch.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

piL posted:

You're looking for Joe and Tommy.

I hate going to this part of town. Too many Nigels!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Last Chance posted:

they upgraded from pencils

Judging by that bottom corner they've somehow now got access to permanent marker, if this escalates we're in trouble.

Woah woah, as a Brit I'd appreciate we not use such offensive terms.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

People really getting mad itt about using the term "Ivan" when war crimes are being committed. If Germany had invaded Ukraine would people really be upset if we called them Jerry?

Imagine a world in which multiple things can be bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

People really getting mad itt about using the term "Ivan" when war crimes are being committed. If Germany had invaded Ukraine would people really be upset if we called them Jerry?

Yeah? Just call Russians Russians, what's the problem here?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Panzeh posted:

This is the guy's webpage. Realism, baby!

:laffo: yeah I don’t think this guy is going to get through this war without saying/doing something that gets him main-character status.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ronya posted:

That seems... bad? The printer ran out of ink for the mission briefing? It's not like the Russian side is short of airbases in friendly territory surely

Where's that Russian gopro video from Syria that shows that their assault planes just use a off-the-shelf Garmin GPS basically duct taped to the instrument panel?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ronya posted:

No that is still a common thing even in Western aviation. Most pilots will have something called a "knee board" which they will have a note pad. A lot of commercial pilots have moved to iPads but in military aviation a note pad is still standard kit.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

Isn't Jerry literally the ethnic slur against germans from the past two world wars? Like, why would you want to resurrect ethnic slurs?

Nenonen posted:

Where's that Russian gopro video from Syria that shows that their assault planes just use a off-the-shelf Garmin GPS basically duct taped to the instrument panel?

That's the same thing I use on my boat and it hasn't crashed yet! (well one time against the dock)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I’ve been catching up with the thread and skimmed that WaPo article.

Is the west fully expecting Ukraine to collapse soon once the Russians snap out of it and get their poo poo together? I thought Ukraine was winning.

And I guess despite the claims there’s a holdup on the arms shipments and they’re running out of missiles?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://nv.ua/ukr/world/geopolitics/putin-pogrozhuye-derzhavnosti-ukrajini-50222501.html

Apparently, one of the things Putin said during the video with stewardesses was that if Ukrainian behaviour "persists", "the future of its statehood" will be under question.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Woah woah, as a Brit I'd appreciate we not use such offensive terms.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ronya posted:

When the balloon goes up, the first to go will be the satellites, but the second will be printer ink.

All kidding aside, I'd need to see what normal looks like before being convinced that's abnormal. In my experience, people often print out large copies of tasking orders or plans or whatever and the individual has to pull the individual information out for themselves--so you write out your relevant parts yourself. Even more common if transliterating orders over the radio, or avoiding computers because of I don't feel like typing this cyber.

Edit: Beat'd

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

ronya posted:

They're deadly afraid of "being hacked" that they're just going back to analog tech, maybe it's to do with that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you really are desperately seeking some way to dehumanize an entire culture by referring to them by a dismissive nickname maybe just don't.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Only on SA could a discussion of an Eastern European war turn into a debate about the use of river barges in the United States.

(I kind of love it. You gotta accept the downsides of goonery in order to enjoy the upsides, IMO.)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1500196510054637569
https://twitter.com/AstorAaron/status/1500201574995533824

Pinch of salt etc.

Djarum posted:

No that is still a common thing even in Western aviation. Most pilots will have something called a "knee board" which they will have a note pad. A lot of commercial pilots have moved to iPads but in military aviation a note pad is still standard kit.

Makes sense. That really does look like folded scrap paper rather than a tear-off pad though

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1500200834533056521?s=20&t=8czENOMcRtvSts_YtXdFzg

My girlfriend is a model in Canada and is very busy. No, you can't see a picture of her.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Libluini posted:

In Germany, we'd use both "Der Ivan" or "Der Russe", if we're talking about 70+ year old grandpas getting weird, but nowadays among the younger generations it's less cutesy/pithy and more dumb

I've seen so many "Werner, die Russen sind da" memes in the past days… :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://nv.ua/ukr/world/geopolitics/putin-pogrozhuye-derzhavnosti-ukrajini-50222501.html

Ukrainian security services claim that they've discovered a plot to establish a "Federal Republic of Ukraine", consisting of Ivano-Frankivsk, Zakarpattia, Lviv, Ternopil, and Chernivtsi.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1500200834533056521?s=20&t=8czENOMcRtvSts_YtXdFzg

My girlfriend is a model in Canada and is very busy. No, you can't see a picture of her.

At this point it's not unreasonable to assume they never upgraded to digital cameras and have run out of film.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

If you really are desperately seeking some way to dehumanize an entire culture by referring to them by a dismissive nickname maybe just don't.

Better to use the much more humanizing titles: conscripts, a squad, some Russian soldiers, etc.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status/1500093881349808128?s=20&t=n-buJlQkIaCj6IVOR0PuCw

Russia's staggering incompetence in this whole thing really is something else. From the top leadership down to the unit level.

I wonder for how long they left them in there? With that many people in a small box with no toilet, beyond a certain point, it would probably be considered a form of inhumane torture.

This is like the third time i've seen this uploaded with a different description

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

At this point it's not unreasonable to assume they never upgraded to digital cameras and have run out of film.

At this point it's probably 50/50 as to whether the aircraft they shot down were Ukrainian or Russian

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

piL posted:

Better to use the much more humanizing titles: conscripts, a squad, some Russian soldiers, etc.

Yes? That is definitely a lot better. I can't believe 'Please don't use racist stereotypes' is such a contentious issue.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ukrainian security services claim that they've discovered a plot to establish a "Federal Republic of Ukraine", consisting of Ivano-Frankivsk, Zakarpattia, Lviv, Ternopil, and Chernivtsi.

Surprised they only now for around to watching that Lukashenko presser

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bel Shazar posted:

Russia does seem content to fight a war from 1987 yes

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 5, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1500192254887022593?s=20

Is this guy even that majorly pro-putin, when we don't even have that many Russia experts to begin with?

No, he's just a neorealist contrarian. These people only know him because they saw that Youtube video with 8 million views of a lecture he gave once.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Apparently, one of the things Putin said during the video with stewardesses was that if Ukrainian behaviour "persists", "the future of its statehood" will be under question.

Makes sense. If he can't install a puppet government then all that's left is to occupy the whole country (and maybe annex it?) until all "terrorists" and "non-state actors" have been dealt with

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kraftwerk posted:

Is the west fully expecting Ukraine to collapse soon once the Russians snap out of it and get their poo poo together? I thought Ukraine was winning.

And I guess despite the claims there’s a holdup on the arms shipments and they’re running out of missiles?

I keep reading that Ukraine will lose the conventional war at some point soon-ish due to having way less soldiers. This is a bit confusing to me, the Russians have invaded with roughly 200k troops afaik, but doesn't the Ukrainian army also have roughly that number? According to the internet they also have reservists numbering multiple times that and there's been no lack of volunteers either. Material is probably was more of a problem, but they're also getting a lot of supplies from outside, plus capturing some Russian equipment.

Where's the consensus come from that they never had a realistic chance?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kraftwerk posted:

I believe Ukraine is winning in the sense that their goals here are to not get crushed and fully occupied by the warm embrace of the Russian military, but they are losing in the sense that in some areas Russian forces are still moving forwards. They are not having great success around Kyiv and such places, but at this point the UA goals are like 'national survival and make the invader bleed' while the RU goals are like 'idk figure it out'

Son of Rodney posted:

Where's the consensus come from that they never had a realistic chance?
I think the expectation was that UA military would be beaten but would probably give a good account of itself or would be able to allow for key figures to evacuate nearer to NATO countries or, if necessary, to Poland or Romania, rather than Zelensky being seized and beaten into actor sauce by burly VDV troopers. There would then be an extended and bloody insurgency which would probably bleed Russia white.

People did not expect this level of performance from the Russian military

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 5, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The consensus comes from 80 years of imagining Russia as the undefeatable hegemon with infinite resources. The consensus is changing in real time, but there's obviously some inertia.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nessus posted:

I believe Ukraine is winning in the sense that their goals here are to not get crushed and fully occupied by the warm embrace of the Russian military, but they are losing in the sense that in some areas Russian forces are still moving forwards. They are not having great success around Kyiv and such places, but at this point the UA goals are like 'national survival and make the invader bleed' while the RU goals are like 'idk figure it out'

Ok, but is there any indication that western shipments of stingers, javelins and NLAWs have dried up? That those promised volumes announced last week were a lie and all Ukraine is working with is what was shipped to them in the lead up to the conflict?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Kraftwerk posted:

Ukraine is having some good success in holding/pushing back the Russians in the northern areas of the invasion. The push from the south is starting to see more Ukrainian resistance, but it's still a fighting withdrawal in a lot of places. There's been some good counterattacks lately, though. Also, they are shifting to total war footing and have several hundred thousand reservists/dudes with training and they're giving away free AKs and Javelins with every purchase of a happy meal.

The problem isn't "Russia is gonna steamroll" it's more "Russia has so much crap in the area it may grind down and overwhelm the Ukrainian Army." If that were to happen there'd definitely be a fierce insurgency, but supplying that is less straightforward than "load up equipment and drive across the Ukraine/Polish border, unload, rinse/repeat"

On top of that, there's no guarantee the Russians can snap out of it. Obviously the war was poorly planned (which is a massive reason for their failures to date) but it also appears the training and equipment of the vaunted Russian Army are quite lacking. You have multimillion dollar AA platforms that are perfectly functional but have all their wheels totally destroyed due to dry rot from being parked too long. Rations expired for nearly a decade. Apparent fresh conscripts not taking to the field because "metal box safe" and then getting ATGM'd. Generals getting domed when they head to front to take charge. Precision munitions apparently running out. Marine detachments too afraid to land because of light chop by the beach.

It's an embarrassing shitshow for Russia, and there's no clear way for them to fix it short of their airforce actually working as advertised to buy them breathing room.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bel Shazar posted:

Well if Russia did shoot anything down they would be trumpeting it on everything they can if for no other reason to attempt to combat the heavy losses they took today that there is tons of visual proof of, especially if they took out a TB-2 since that would be a huge propaganda win for them.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Interesting, if it's authentic.

I liked the comparison of this to the Russo-Japanese war.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Djarum posted:

To be fair, the ground is still mostly occupied by Ukrainians--it's probably much harder for Russians to get pictures of crashed Ukrainian aircraft than the reverse (not saying the Russian statement is true, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hope this isn't accurate.

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1500129586117427201?s=20&t=Huss7kwR4AAylsTpVE_gWw

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1500137691479900160?s=20&t=Huss7kwR4AAylsTpVE_gWw

I know the ceasefire was a sham, but I was hoping there weren't casualties.