Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, it's always been like that, I just don't really see the point of it I guess. It bothers me in every one of these games, though I think it bothers me here and in Bloodborne the most. Elden Ring and Bloodborne both have a lot of weapons that are pretty unique (in Bloodborne they're almost all completely unique because there are much fewer) and so it stings more when you find something new and you can't use it because of resource scarcity even if it fits your build.

It's something that I think could go away without the game really losing anything, though I dunno, maybe there's a benefit I'm missing.

I think the only big benefit is it probably remains the best way to filter the MP aspects; by weapon range. I know a lot of people never invade or co-op at all but because of how damage works I’m not sure there’s a better way to keep PvP at least marginally fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

As far as I can tell, the summons aren't actually infinite. I tried the strategy of just running around letting the summons do the work but eventually the summons stopped coming back.

I love looking up tips for this very badly designed boss and seeing people be like "just get behind him, easy!" Bitch do you think I'm not trying to do that?? He runs around at 100mph on his tiny horse

edit: I put bleed on my sword and that seemed to do the trick although I did just die to his... rocket ship?? move.

The strats should really all just lead with "put bleed on your sword" not "just get behind him lol"

This possibly very late but Hoarfrost stomp completely clowns him (along with everything else). Get that, stomp him and hope for good RNG where he goes rampaging somewhere else than your direction for a little while and you'll get it. That's how it went for me, was stuck there for hours last night and today earlier.

Granted, it's very dangerous so close to him as a squishy caster, but it still was more effective than using spells at range (unless you have enough to spam Greatbow)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know where I can farm smithing stone 3 ? I feel like I have no problem finding Ss 4 and 5, but 3 is so rare I can’t get past 8 on my weapon.

There must have been a tunnel I missed or something.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It’s ironic in the game where they made items so easy to get I use them the least yeah. I mostly keep the square button “clean” for only potions, I keep usable items on the Triangle shortcut though. Triangle up is horse, left is ash summon, right and down are usually pots or buffs that I switch out depending on boss - but very rarely remember to switch out.

It’s ridiculously easy to craft pots. I think I have enough mats for like 50+ fire pots and they’re not a bad option for stuff that is weak to them. I should maybe make holy pots and buffs for skeleton enemies. My build is str dex int so I have a lot of options for close and far range though, I can imagine someone with no int or fth finding them more useful. Bows seem bad too?

I put my flasks on my quick slots so I don't need to cycle to them in the item select just hold triangle (or y) and hit left or right. Also did that with the horse summon, and my favorite summon on the 4th slot.

I can't imagine ever wanting to play with my heals buried in a list I have to cycle through again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bloody Slash is OP and lol if you hit two bosses at once with it. I normally hate 2 boss battles because they stuff you in a small room and make u feel compelled to summon. For some reason, maybe invasion? wouldnt let me summon jellyfish, but the gargoyles room is so large you can take down first gargoyle before second one becomes too much of a hassle.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

why do people say bleed 'procs'

what's that from

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Underwhelmed posted:

I put my flasks on my quick slots so I don't need to cycle to them in the item select just hold triangle (or y) and hit left or right. Also did that with the horse summon, and my favorite summon on the 4th slot.

I can't imagine ever wanting to play with my heals buried in a list I have to cycle through again.

I learned to do this from the tutorial on how to cheese up to F+N without fighting a single mob. So much better than the one-way rotation for X (or square)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gargoyle fight is hosed up, I had it once bug out on me where the gargoyle never comes down. Just summoned by two diff people to help them and the had same glitch.

roomtone posted:

what's that from

I started typing an answer confident I knew but then... no, realzied I had just been saying it since WoW came out. Looked it up and kind of interesting:

quote:

Proc was originally short for "spec_proc" (spec_proc is short for "special process"[1]) which is a term used by the original programmer of Circle-MUD, Jeremy Elson. It might have been used by the original programmers of diku-MUD as well. Special processes in Circle-MUD are functions that can be assigned to objects, players, and locations in the world such that each time an event occurs, the special process function will be invoked. Special processes were used in Circle-MUD for a wide variety of purposes: Creating room events when a person typed a specific string of text, causing a weapon or piece of armor to perform a magical action, and even causing a mob to do something that it wouldn't normally do.[2]

Special processes were a way of creating unique experiences that could not be achieved by simply building the dungeon and populating it with monsters. Special processes breathed life into these worlds by introducing extra coding that enhanced the gamer's experience without changing the underlying structure or function of the code-base. If you ever played a MUD and were walking around in a dungeon and randomly saw the text "You feel as though you are being watched," that was probably a special process.[citation needed]

When developers and players were talking about these special processes they abbreviated the term to "proc". Over time the noun also became a verb, "proced" ("proc'd" or "procced"), which meant that the special process was invoked and performed its action. Most often, players were concerned about their weapons and whether or not the weapon would perform its special attack (a proc), and so proc must have started to take on a narrower meaning for MMORPG players who were somewhat more removed from the core combat engine and flat world of MUDs.

some old MUD term carried into the modern age somehow, neat!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

roomtone posted:

what's that from

Pretty sure it has its origins in early WoW or even older MMORPG culture. Google says it's an abbreviation of "random programmed occurrence"

edit: beaten with a much more complete response!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gotta love bosses where so many ppl desperate for a summon you get summoned the instant u put down sign

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wish summoning other players wasnt such a dice roll. 90% of the time it's just some normie who gets pasted in 10 second and now the boss has twice as much health. Distinct lack of clear signs someone knows what they are doing such as being completely naked

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I know people continuously gush over the Mimic Tear summon ash but I just had it take a huge chunk off an annoying boss for me and I'm not even sure how it did it. It's smarter and stronger than most real players

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
gently caress the triple boss in Sellia Hideaway, goddamn immune to basically everything while having 3 things attack you in a tiny arena

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I know people continuously gush over the Mimic Tear summon ash but I just had it take a huge chunk off an annoying boss for me and I'm not even sure how it did it. It's smarter and stronger than most real players

I think I remember someone saying it doesnt use FP so if you have some mega spell or ability equipped it can use it more often. Or maybe a bleed buildup or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Y'all, magic katana is OUT

Bleeding Frost punching is IN

I'm just a little frog girl. I can't hurt no one. I don't have the appetites

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 5, 2022

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I am not a fan of Caelid, or maybe I’m just getting tired of the open world. Doesnt help that I guess I went too far and now the castle is totally empty just waiting for the boss fight. and yeah sounds like I can reset it after but it just wont be the same as exploring for the first time

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Inzombiac posted:

omg where do i find that and also the helmet. im rocking the moon katana right now and it rules but bleeding frost punch sounds sick

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

I think the only big benefit is it probably remains the best way to filter the MP aspects; by weapon range. I know a lot of people never invade or co-op at all but because of how damage works I’m not sure there’s a better way to keep PvP at least marginally fair.

If there weren't weapon upgrades it could really just go purely by level, though. It used to, back in Demon's Souls and DS1 (though I think DS1 Remastered added weapon levels to the formula), and people would stay at a low level but upgrade weapons super high to be way too strong for their level range. Now weapon upgrade levels are factored in, which is good, but if there wasn't weapon upgrading at all then they could go back to just having it go by player level.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

welcome to the ranks of noble pugilists

I love those frog lookin folks. They look so cute and sad, I usually try to avoid killing them when possible

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ah, I see From didn't receive enough hate mail for Shrine of Amana, so they just put another one in another game.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
is mimic tear worth is for ranged chars? or should I stick with my headless shield man

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
G knights is my favorite summon. Jumping halberd ping pong rocks everything.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

is mimic tear worth is for ranged chars? or should I stick with my headless shield man

Assuming you mean magic, it's equally insane if not moreso since you can fill your spell loadout with all the crazy poo poo that's too unsafe or inefficient for you to use and the mimic will spam all of it. Assuming you mean archery, no idea

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In hindsight this game was like 98% awesome so I'm going to suffer through the last two optional bosses then put that poo poo behind me. With the good rune farming method unlocked and like 12 respecs I'm pretty much good for... everything. I'll go into NG+ with my stupidly overleveled god for the third ending.

In terms of a new run, all that I really need out of it is a non-Ranni ending. Aside from melee I want to focus on all the sidequests and trying to do stuff at-level. Reading about how many quests there were that I missed by blindly stabbing out in a direction made me want to make all these people happy dead because it's souls.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

it's worth it for any character, it copies your exact load out including items etc.

since it might have infinite fp (haven't tested, but it never seems to run out), it might be even better for casters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

welcome to the ranks of noble pugilists

I love those frog lookin folks. They look so cute and sad, I usually try to avoid killing them when possible

Where can I find a caestus anyway

It's not truly DS2 2 until I'm a beautiful rear end in a top hat butterfly making GBS threads poison and punching more poison at people

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man, the dragon incantations are super cool but they are crazy FP expensive. Also got quite the slow windup. They melt HP bars though.

Undecided on if I'm gonna stick with this though. Those Beastial Incantations all look fast and cheap and you get a thing to scale stuff on Strength which is neat...

Dunno why it took nearly 50 hours for the build indecision to kick in, usually I'm indecisive at the start. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I tried out Wings of Astel but went back to Moonveil because the sheer speed of its ashes attack is too good.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I've given up on more Elden Ring bosses than I have in every other SoulsBorne game. Literally the only one I flat out refused to do was the twin cats boss of Frigid Outskirts and that was down more to the level if anything. Fully Grown Fallingstar Beast is such a whore to do with a longsword+15. I'll come back later at level 90+, I really can't be arsed with his horseshit currently. I tried being summoned and it made him even worse.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 5, 2022

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Ah, I see From didn't receive enough hate mail for Shrine of Amana, so they just put another one in another game.

I'd like to know what zone you're talking about.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Can you get bleed and frost on a single weapon or its it split across both.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

You can get both on one though I think you wouldn't be able to buff it with a grease if you did. For example, if you put a cold infusion on an Uchigatana, it'll have both bleed and frostbite on it, though less bleed than it would normally have.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there anything on Radahn’s beach apart from a couple of his arrows? It’s fuckin enormous but apparently for no purpose unless you really like to run away from him

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Where can I find a caestus anyway

It's not truly DS2 2 until I'm a beautiful rear end in a top hat butterfly making GBS threads poison and punching more poison at people

the gatekeeper after you beat margit sells one, I don't know if you can still buy it anywhere after you beat godrick and he moves on to stomping godrick's head. There's also a spiked caestus sold by a vendor in Caelid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gently caress these pike soldiers

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

skasion posted:

Is there anything on Radahn’s beach apart from a couple of his arrows? It’s fuckin enormous but apparently for no purpose unless you really like to run away from him

There's a catacomb in one of the corners, just off the shore. I think that's it though

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Yeah run way north along the cliffside pretty much to the water

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

skasion posted:

There is a catacomb in the far northern end of the area

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

the gatekeeper after you beat margit sells one, I don't know if you can still buy it anywhere after you beat godrick and he moves on to stomping godrick's head. There's also a spiked caestus sold by a vendor in Caelid

Well poo poo

I'll get the spiked caestus though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pentyne posted:

It's the spiked caestus with the hoarfrost stomp ash.
Is bleed and frost all the time!

It's also the only weapon Ive seen with two simultaneous elements.