Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

Still have absolutely no reason to believe that
1. Putin wants to negotiate
2. He would honor said negotiations
3. That there's anything to gain by negotiating with a man who has openly said, even after being faced with possible military losses that the only way it would end is with Ukraine surrendering.

https://twitter.com/lfrayer/status/1500077720272875522?s=20&t=n7fPkOPEbK0MHpaKYvDQ4A

This is what Russian negotiations result in.

First rule of my negotiations class was not to negotiate with someone that is there in bad faith. Putin has all the cards still and has no reason to come to the table. Chechnya wasn't that long ago that it doesn't apply here, he is more than capable of terrorizing/atrocitying his way to victory and Ukrainian subjugation. Its not like the rest of the world can do much more without direct intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Getting civilians out of those besieged cities is the #1 thing to do to save lives so even though Russia could be expected to betray the deal I think you still have to make the effort. Still sucks though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi posted:

Getting civilians out of those besieged cities is the #1 thing to do to save lives so even though Russia could be expected to betray the deal I think you still have to make the effort. Still sucks though.

Yes, especially when you look at the underground maternity wards. We’ve already seen evidence of the Russians making hospice patient participate in propaganda. I don’t want to even think of the war crimes, that Russian leadership could come up with to exploit them. I mean the only thing Russia seems to be capable of doing is war crimes.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Goddamn the footage coming out of how hosed Kherkiv is, just obliterated :smith:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, especially when you look at the underground maternity wards. We’ve already seen evidence of the Russians making hospice patient participate in propaganda. I don’t want to even think of the war crimes, that Russian leadership could come up with to exploit them. I mean the only thing Russia seems to be capable of doing is war crimes.

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1500129586117427201?s=20&t=QuCOrUWvZUuN0VPFqo-HOw

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

psydude posted:

Ask them to surrender, and if they don't, then block the emergency hatch and ask again in a day or two.

Play Baushaus's hit song, "Bela Lugosi's Dead", on repeat for a few hours. They'll cave.

Start dropping baseballs on top of the car at random intervals while laughing like a maniac.

Cook some really smelly cabbage soup at the bottom of the shaft. Form a troika to eat said soup and drink a bottle very loudly after it's done.

"Guuuuuyys! Hey, fellows! We give up. Vova has to take a poo poo and Yevgeniy is starting to eat Piotr's boots!"

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Goddamn the footage coming out of how hosed Kherkiv is, just obliterated :smith:

Holy gently caress the whole city is destroyed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They are monsters with no compassion and are doing Syria 2.0. I’ve seen some truly horrific photos.

https://twitter.com/stratcomcentre/status/1500196030511472640?s=21

In good news

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mozi posted:

They have negotiated in bad faith before, you expect them to negotiate in bad faith again, they have no incentive to negotiate in good faith. Doing so without the expectation the agreement will be upheld just makes you blind and stupid.. Until you have some sort of leverage or expectation, negotiations are pointless or just for show.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poo poo like this better be well documented and rubbed in their face when they finally break to sanctions.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/1500230682936692736?s=21

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1500234355200958468?s=21

I would expect if this is true for MasterCard and the others to follow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Welp.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I would expect if this is true for MasterCard and the others to follow.

Yep, MasterCard just pulled out operations in Russia.

Russia's either going to turn into a megasized North Korea with nukes, or a vassal state of China. Not much really in-between right now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Russia's either going to turn into a megasized North Korea with nukes, or a vassal state of China. Not much really in-between right now.

There's also irradiated wasteland!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's also irradiated wasteland!

But enough about Florida.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.reuters.com/business/mastercard-blocks-multiple-russian-financial-institutions-network-2022-03-01/

quote:

March 1 (Reuters) - U.S. payment card firms Visa Inc (V.N) and Mastercard Inc have blocked multiple Russian financial institutions from their network, complying with government sanctions imposed over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

I mean, holy gently caress.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

are those loving sandbags on the cope canopy?

jesus

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

are those loving sandbags on the cope canopy?

jesus

Judging by the number of burned out tank husks I've seen in that configuration, they're not working great.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
dont sandbags help heat rounds penetrate?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

Not really. All this did was tell the Russians exactly where all the civilians were going to be so they could be more easily shot

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

They just need to keep piling progressively more poo poo up there until they've got a second tank sitting up on top of the turret, then they'll be fine.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The maus was just ahead of its time

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Motherfucking monsters

E: can anyone link some of these Kharkiv sources? Im not mad enough yet.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 6, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

No, they just don't do much. I suspect those sandbags are there because dudes have some concerns about airburst arty being unhealthy for unbuttoned TCs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

Not since World War II and the earliest types of shaped-charge weaponry.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
The ultimate sign of defeat: Russia's MoD is protecting their tweets.

https://twitter.com/annavellikok/status/1500193406403989508?s=20&t=trCvrb9oUgJLUmwm162W9Q

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pre-war I remember a lot of the speculation about Ukrainian anti-tank tactics focused on them using those copper disc IEDs, but with the massive amount of modern rockets they’ve received I wonder if they’ve even needed to bother. Would assume NATO could provide better anti-tank land mines anyway.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
This nuclear stuff is a bit scary, even if it's just posturing. There's almost nothing the rest of the world can do that they aren't doing already without making things worse, but things will probably get worse anyway. And Putin might act like he's been backed into a corner and lash out at a NATO country or something and then...who knows?
I just hope that either someone in the chain of command offs him, or they stop following his orders or something, that seems like maybe the best outcome.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

facialimpediment posted:

I don’t think China is actually interested in that, at the end of the day while they might want Taiwan and play great power games they very much still want to be a part of the global system which Russia, seemingly bafflingly, has shown at least at the high levels think they don’t need.

I have no idea how they expect to maintain a modern economy without either the neoliberal international system or the advantages of the Soviet system, since they’re basically doing neoliberalism with autarky which I don’t think is like a thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I have no idea how they expect to maintain a modern economy without either the neoliberal international system or the advantages of the Soviet system, since they’re basically doing neoliberalism with autarky which I don’t think is like a thing.

At this point I just assume that the oligarchy is happy to revert to some modern form of feudalism or tsar putin to codify the lifestyles they have.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Pre-war I remember a lot of the speculation about Ukrainian anti-tank tactics focused on them using those copper disc IEDs, but with the massive amount of modern rockets they’ve received I wonder if they’ve even needed to bother. Would assume NATO could provide better anti-tank land mines anyway.

You can make Explosively Formed Projectile IEDs with a block of wood and a hammer in a tin shed in the forest. That poo poo comes later when care packages from Uncle Sam and John Bull stop showing up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Well the missiles allow them to be a lot more proactive in taking engagements I imagine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: NM

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I ain't got nothing to say other than this is the same poo poo over again. America just watches and tut tuts as people get genocided.

I would think we have plans for decapitation strikes, and enough inbred rich fucks to have high power friends there.

I'm just really tired of people killing god damned children.

E- we aren't exempt from that criticism. Not many are.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The US and Europe are 100x more involved in this than I ever thought they would be. Russia's economy has been annihilated and modern arms and aid are flooding into Ukraine. There's not much else anyone can do without starting WW3, and even now we're flirting with escalation.

It would be nice if we could make a backroom deal with some oligarchs and bump off Putin, but I don't think that's possible right now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Interesting twist on the "Visa and Mastercard shut down operations in Russia": Russian cards will still work inside the country, apparently it's just international usage (non-Russian cards in Russia and Russian cards elsewhere) that are being blocked. So it'll be a big blow for all of the tourists flocking to Russia right now, but most of the populace won't really be affected.

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1500306848599228418

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

The US and Europe are 100x more involved in this than I ever thought they would be. Russia's economy has been annihilated and modern arms and aid are flooding into Ukraine.

I keep thinking that if Ukraine survives this they'll probably be armed to the absolute teeth for the next thousand years, and have a very capable foreign legion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I keep thinking that if Ukraine survives this they'll probably be armed to the absolute teeth for the next thousand years, and have a very capable foreign legion.

Not if they actually join NATO. One of the conditions of joining is/was divesting themselves of Russian/Soviet hardware, but Poland's MiG-29s and Turkey's SAMs have kind of upset that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not if they actually join NATO. One of the conditions of joining is/was divesting themselves of Russian/Soviet hardware, but Poland's MiG-29s and Turkey's SAMs have kind of upset that.

Well now, I doubt Russia will have the ability to do much about it when, hopefully, Ukraine survives.