Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Dropout’s Game Changer is as close to US Taskmaster as will ever happen. (Game Changer is also very good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the biggest problem for doing an American series is that I don't think the format would be easy to communicate to the people involved. America doesn't have the tradition of panel shows for comedians to do the rounds on, and I don't think American comedy is anywhere near as closely-knit. People might misinterpret it as a reality show.

One of the interesting things about the Taskmaster podcast is that I hear a lot of things that stood out to people that I didn't think much of, and it's interesting how some people end up being totally different from how they represent themselves on the show. Russell Howard apparently felt near-traumatized by the show, but he seemed so confident on the show.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the biggest problem for doing an American series is that I don't think the format would be easy to communicate to the people involved. America doesn't have the tradition of panel shows for comedians to do the rounds on, and I don't think American comedy is anywhere near as closely-knit. People might misinterpret it as a reality show.

One of the interesting things about the Taskmaster podcast is that I hear a lot of things that stood out to people that I didn't think much of, and it's interesting how some people end up being totally different from how they represent themselves on the show. Russell Howard apparently felt near-traumatized by the show, but he seemed so confident on the show.

Yeah the tight-knit element I think is a huge deal. A lot of the people in UK comedy either know each other professionally, or have at least done that kind of work often enough that they can fake that sort of rapport with someone they're meeting for the first time on a show. Although "people might misinterpret it as a reality show" was actually an issue for the UK Taskmaster as well and finding people for the first series was a bit of a struggle because people were worried it was just going to be some BS where they'd just have to eat a bunch of gross stuff on camera. Frank Skinner getting involved is apparently what convinced everyone else to give it a go since he's a fairly well respected comedian and they figured if he was willing to do it, it's probably not going to be that bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
American comics are often fairly close knit. The comedy club scene here varies by locality, but a lot of them play the same places scattered around the country.

There's a pretty good, multi-episode documentary about The Comedy Store on Showtime. Obviously it focuses more on the early days, when Mitzi Shore first took over the joint. It's good insight into the 70s/80s, when comics were vying for a shot on Carson. The Comedy Store is still open, run by Pauly Shore now.

That community has obviously gotten a lot larger, the gigs they're vying for are more likely to be netflix specials, but late night still gets rotation. And honestly, america just isn't a panel show country, unless it's sunday morning and then it's just politics, nothing intended as funny. Panel plays better on NPR radio here than tv.

I think Taskmaster would be fine here if they had the right personality in the seat leading the whole thing. I wish we still had something like @Midnight running. Hardwick was meh but the comic rotation was pretty good and heavy in Doug Benson, who would be fantastic at Taskmaster.

At least we've got new Wipeout. Cena has grown on me, Byer is generally solid. Thanks to TBS.

E: Our comics are more connected through layers of podcasts this past decade, too. Too many have shows, honestly.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 5, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The_Doctor posted:

As the Taskmaster.

Actually yes that would be great and I think he'd get a real kick out of being an officious bastard.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy poo poo, £5.99 per month for one show? Are they high?

It's the same price in the UK (where you can watch it all for free on UKTV and C4) and right now it only has seasons 1-3?! Even if it gets NZ and all the international versions, subtitled on their broadcast day it wouldn't be worth that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I suspect they expect people to binge watch so have short term subscriptions rather than ever paying for a full year.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You know, just had a thought, there are enough Taskmasters now to do a Taskmaster contestant version of Taskmaster one off.
Greg, Alex, Jeremy Wells, Paul Williams, and who would be the last, Reggie Watts/Atle Antonsen/other?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Why Reggie Watts? He's got nothing to do with Taskmaster. Nothing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Why Reggie Watts? He's got nothing to do with Taskmaster. Nothing.

US taskmaster, and was first in my head after naming the others to be honest.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
John Cena for US Taskmaster. He has the authorative and physical presence, and the comedy chops.

Or Dennis Haysbert, who popped into my mind for some reason.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

evobatman posted:

John Cena for US Taskmaster. He has the authorative and physical presence, and the comedy chops.

Or Dennis Haysbert, who popped into my mind for some reason.

Cena is ehhhh to me. He's getting a lot of exposure now between Peacemaker and Wipeout. If he was chosen for Taskmaster, I'd have to insist his throne be made of the purple cow he rides in Experian commercials. So really, just a dyed hide.

I just don't want Cena to wash out after a year because of market saturation of him. He's getting good on Wipeout. He's neither Henson or Anderson level of John, but Byer carries him occasionally. Neither are playing it straight though. Cena kinda started out as the straight man, but that seemed to fade into general comedic commentary quickly.

Dennis Haysbert is a dramatic actor. Comedy and timing aren't going to be the sharpest knives in his drawer. It would have been the perfect gig for Patrice O'Neal if he didn't die so long ago. Deon Cole might be a good fit though, or Charlamagne. If Keith David was a decade younger. If Neil Flynn was a decade younger.

My dream TM series would probably be Doug Benson heading up a stoner spinoff series, hour long, 10 episode run. It's been a while since Doug has been on tv regularly, since his comedy central high court show. Everyone has to be stoned as hell for the tasks. It would be fun for a season.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Get up out of the armchair. Fastest wins."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Find the M&M in the bag of skittles. 1 second penalty for every skittle eaten.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Find the M&M in the bag of skittles. 1 second penalty for every skittle eaten.

Too easy, just smash em'.

Also seconding that John Cena as a TM would be awful. It'd be akin to Jeremy Wells, who's fine, but easily the weakest part of TM NZ. The school teacher/mad aristocrat energy Greg brings is just perfect. You'd want like, Conan O'Brien. A *comically* imposing figure who has no qualms about leaning into the shows abusrdity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Andre Braugher for the Taskmaster.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
You know how they took the cast of one show (8 out of 10 cats) and put them on another show (countdown) and it turned out to be good if not great?

The Wire does Taskmaster. Bubbles as the assistant.

JK Simmons would have been great as the taskmaster a decade ago, but he’s everywhere now.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Daniel Tosh has a good taskmaster vibe to him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Andre Braugher for the Taskmaster.

As his character Holt sure. And Kevin as his side kick, would be loving amazing.
The Taskmaster needs to be like those characters, dry sarcasm, devestating insults, with an air of superiority.
Greg had that in the first few seasons, but now hes matey with everyone.
Jeremy does it well still.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

no taskmasters under 6'3, imho

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think Jim Gaffigan could pull off a Taskmaster style role.

Conan is close but makes bits about him too often.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Craig Ferguson, but he's only 6'2"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I think Jim Gaffigan could pull off a Taskmaster style role.

Conan is close but makes bits about him too often.

Gaffigan suffers from the same inability to intimidate puppies as Reggie Watts. He is the softest marshmallow, as illustrated by his CBS Sunday Morning correspondent status.

Mo Rocca is more intimidating, and what's he going to do, whip out an NPR microphone?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Azhais posted:

Craig Ferguson, but he's only 6'2"

It totally should be Craig. :colbert:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

It totally should be Craig. :colbert:

I can get behind this.

But then... who plays the assistant?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

I can get behind this.

But then... who plays the assistant?

Andy Richter

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Jimmy Yang

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Matt Besser as TM?

Edit: D'Arcy Carden I think could pull it off.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I'm shocked that Conan was dismissed out of hand for making things about him if he served as Taskmaster.

Like, sure, he does that a lot on the shows named after him. But he knows a collaborative environment from SNL and the Simpsons. I never considered him as a taskmaster, but can totally see him balancing that ego vs. letting contestants shine. I just don't think he'd do it unless his HBO show tanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whoever it is really should have standup/improv experience. You need fast non-scripted humorous reactions and interactions. It's why I'd be hesitant of someone like Marc Evan Jackson who mostly works scripted. Or John Cena who can be funny but isn't experienced in quick off-the-cuff wit.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I reckon Steven Colbert could do it by adopting a third persona with some overlap with his other two. It would be a different style show but I think very good. You need someone very quick like him or Conan.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MikeJF posted:

Whoever it is really should have standup/improv experience. You need fast non-scripted humorous reactions and interactions. It's why I'd be hesitant of someone like Marc Evan Jackson who mostly works scripted. Or John Cena who can be funny but isn't experienced in quick off-the-cuff wit.

MEJ is always going on about his improv background, I think he'd do fine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh he is? Okay then. Yeah, he'd be great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
MEJ literally runs a project that teaches improv to kids in Detroit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Blamestorm posted:

I reckon Steven Colbert could do it by adopting a third persona with some overlap with his other two. It would be a different style show but I think very good. You need someone very quick like him or Conan.

Colbert is already everywhere. Aside from his late night show, he's a voiceover on half the running cartoons, and he has a new (not good) cartoon of his own on comedy central. He's at a saturation point. Beyond the saturation point that Cena is at currently.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I forget if he was also an Upright Citizens Brigade alum or if it was D'Arcy who was since I remember it being mentioned in The Good Place Podcast.

Speaking of, William Jackson Harper as the assistant (if only because there'd be at least three occasions per season of people trying to get his clothes off for hijinks)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I'm shocked that Conan was dismissed out of hand for making things about him if he served as Taskmaster.

Like, sure, he does that a lot on the shows named after him. But he knows a collaborative environment from SNL and the Simpsons. I never considered him as a taskmaster, but can totally see him balancing that ego vs. letting contestants shine. I just don't think he'd do it unless his HBO show tanks.

Conan isn't threatening enough. And you'd have to have somebody extra-able to shut down rowdy contestants to deal with Americans just with their air of authority.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Conan isn't threatening enough. And you'd have to have somebody extra-able to shut down rowdy contestants to deal with Americans just with their air of authority.

Terry Crews.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I recently rewatched Blades of Glory, and the way that Amy Poehler keeps mean-mugging the camera screams Taskmaster to me. Something in the eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Amy Poehler is not widely liked. Whole lot of people hate her schtick, just like Carrell these days.

Xelkelvos posted:

Terry Crews.

Yes. gently caress yes.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 6, 2022