Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Yeah same, let's get that sweet sweet goon referral moolah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I'm on Octopus but can't find a referral code - do you not get one if you're on a fixed tariff?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’ll take an octopus code - I’ve moved into a new place and have been given a ‘deemed contract’ with loving bulb? Who are bust!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was told if you have a contract with a bust supplier like bulb you can't switch?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
How many goons does it take to change a Bulb

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was told if you have a contract with a bust supplier like bulb you can't switch?

If you're with a supplier that's going through Supplier of Last Resort, you can switch, but it's probably a bad idea - the entire process revolves around sharing a load of customer data and converting it between incompatible systems while having to manually deal with exceptions. Throwing switches into the ordeal gums up the works and increases the chances that the supplier taking on those customers chucks you in the "too difficult to deal with automatically" pile and sorts out your account last, meaning any refund of credit you're due from your direct debits will take longer to process.

Bulb are in a special Administration regime, where the company is being run as a going concern by its administrators while they work out what the hell to do with it. You should be able to switch away from them without any kind of drama. Given the rumour mill is saying that the administrators haven't done any forward hedging of supply for Bulb, and that front month gas prices hit £5/them (17p/kWh) on Friday, which is way, way, way above the price used in setting the price cap (4.3p/kWh), I highly doubt that they'd object to customers leaving them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

I’ll take an octopus code - I’ve moved into a new place and have been given a ‘deemed contract’ with loving bulb? Who are bust!

PM me if you still need!

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm on Octopus but can't find a referral code - do you not get one if you're on a fixed tariff?

If you go to your dashboard and scroll down, it says "refer your friends" and then there's a link with some random words eg big-blue-elephant (I made that up, it's not mine!).
Only word of caution, it does doxx your real first name (but not your surname).

I'm on a fixed tariff. I guess if you can't find one, maybe you've been on the tariff longer than they've had the referral thing? I fixed mine in October.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 5, 2022

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

PM me if you still need!

If you go to your dashboard and scroll down, it says "refer your friends" and then there's a link with some random words eg big-blue-elephant (I made that up, it's not mine!).

I'm on a fixed tariff. I guess if you can't find one, maybe you've been on the tariff longer than they've had the referral thing? I fixed mine in October.

Octopus aren't really offering fixed tariffs at the moment. They won't stop you if you push for it but fixing would have you on close to 40p pkw/h. Varies for postcode and for previous usage of your home. Going on variable means you'll be closer to 28p pkw/h.

Also, to switch to Octopus you'll have to call them up. Can't go through the website at the moment because people kept switching themselves onto super high tariffs and then complaining they were paying out the nose.

Source: Just finished working with them.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can also PM me for an Octopus referral code

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm just gonna post mine here.

https://share.octopus.energy/rust-hawk-266

Just don't doxx me or I will need to give up my crime fighting ways.

I'm genuinely curious how many energy companies will survive this, its been really good to have competition and I'd rather not go back to just the big 6.
(A nationalised energy company would be the best but I've given up hope I will ever see that)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Our flats common areas are on a fixed tariff with SSE that runs out in July. Just been looking at what the offers are and looks like it will be going up a minimum of £200 per month (divided by 19 flats mostly occupied by people in their 80s) based on NOW, let alone July!

It counts as 'business supply' so not protected by any caps :(

Ed: the storage heaters in our corridors are about 30 years old now and could do with replacing. This will obviously be quite expensive up front. Anyone got any experience of doing that? Whether with new storage heaters or electric radiators (we're all electric in our block). I think we've got about 8 or 9 without me running round and counting.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 5, 2022

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I'm about to move and the landlord has referred me to bulb as the previous tenant was with them, to transfer the account over. This may be ill advised then?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's currently under government administration. I'm kinda surprised you can still join it. But yes, not advised.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

You can still "join" Bulb because the supplier technically has an account with the property and not the person who lives there. The person occupying the property just has an obligation to maintain the account unless they wish to switch. This is there so that if someone moves house, the new tenant/owner isn't without power (like you might be for internet).

It also takes roughly 28 days to switch provider (assuming there are no disputes) because it all has to go through OFGEM. If you were to prevent people from joining Bulb then they may have no power for a month and likely longer, because companies that go bust tend to have more disputes associated with them (unless you're Scottish Power).

Also a technicality but Bulb hasn't gone bust. Rather, it is in "Special Administration" with support from the government. It should have gone bust, but was deemed too big to fail. It is mostly a zombie that hopes to return to normal. The current issue with energy stretching as long as it has makes this far more difficult.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Does anyone know how long it should take for the money I had with Neon Reef to either transfer over to British gas, or come back to me?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Edit: enough folks have posted referral codes I think.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 5, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Nope, and I fixed mine in Sept. But I was with Co-op Energy originally, Octopus took them over, so maybe I'm in some weird legacy limbo.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
uh
https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1500077999470772226

i guess a solid majority of tory voters don't want a nuclear war, while labour voters are evenly split on the issue :psyduck:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Why won't Jeremy nuke the planet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect that is a tory vote for "gently caress em who cares" and a labour vote for utterly misguided interventionism, as well as a general resounding victory for brits being loving stupid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect that is a tory vote for "gently caress em who cares" and a labour vote for utterly misguided interventionism, as well as a general resounding victory for brits being loving stupid.

this is exactly how i read it, too; i doubt nuclear exchanges even enter their heads (for better or worse)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alixmortimer/status/1499743258125213696

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The headsman were good enough for charlie and he'll bloody well be good enough for you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Somerset House looks more like a place of government than the gaudy mess with the clock does, that looks better suited for an experimental arts collective.

Although there's discussion about replacing that as the seat of government due to the maintenance and running costs, which is always a reliable cause of comments about "vanity projects for architects" and "the Scottish carbuncle".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apropos nothing: if I have a double-socket sized backbox in my kitchen, am I able to infer the existence of wiring behind it so I can call the electrician and get him to fit a double socket in there without too much problem (ie not needing him to hack off the tiling and thread wires through the ceiling or wherever)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like... the back half of a socket? The thing the wires live in behind the face plate?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So this is rather poo poo. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/health/doctors-anger-nhs-contract-plans-23281523

Massively overworked fanily doctors now being forced to work evenings and saturdays. So many are going to quit.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apropos nothing: if I have a double-socket sized backbox in my kitchen, am I able to infer the existence of wiring behind it so I can call the electrician and get him to fit a double socket in there without too much problem (ie not needing him to hack off the tiling and thread wires through the ceiling or wherever)?

Is it blanked off or is there currently a single socket there? Its hard to say without knowing what's behind it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Somerset House looks more like a place of government than the gaudy mess with the clock does, that looks better suited for an experimental arts collective.

Although there's discussion about replacing that as the seat of government due to the maintenance and running costs, which is always a reliable cause of comments about "vanity projects for architects" and "the Scottish carbuncle".

It was actually built speculatively as government buildings because the Palace of Westminster and the temporary buildings thrown up after the Whitehall Palace burned down were woefully inadequate. One of the later wings was even built specifically to be able to host Parliament (somewhat suspiciously started a couple of years before the old Palace of Westminster burned down).

I don't think there's any government offices left there which is a shame because you felt so *official* visiting there for a last-minute passport or a copy of your birth certificate.

And don't be dissing Victorian Gothic, Neoclassical government buildings are for fascists. If they're going to abandon the Palace of Westminster while it's being propped up then they need to compulsorily purchase the Great Midland Hotel to ensure there is Continuity Of Twiddly Bits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hole in the wall type or surface pattress box? What's covering it currently?

Mebh posted:

fanily doctors
They prefer to be called obstetrician-gynecologists.

I'll get my coat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It looks exactly like this when I took the blank (ie no socket holes) white plastic rectangle face off.

There is wiring in the vicinity that goes behind the tiles to the cooker socket and up to the extractor fan so it's not entirely random.
There's wiring for the switch for the fan - the switch is about 10cm higher and 30cm 'round the corner' (there's a sort of sticking out corner which is hollow behind I think) from it.

VVV just wondering why they would have put a blank box there if it's not usable. I think the flat post dates requirement for isolators because there is a switch under the counter the other side for an under the counter device but no above the counter isolator.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 5, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Impossible to say without opening it up. It may actually be carrying the 30A circuit for your cooker and originally held the isolator switch for it (they used to be a legal requirement but *seem* not to be now, at least most modern homes I've seen don't seem to have them). If so then a sparks won't install another circuit in there even if there's room to do so.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Continuity Of Twiddly Bits.
GRRM running out of good names.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And don't be dissing Victorian Gothic, Neoclassical government buildings are for fascists.
Neoclassical government buildings are for people who think that 18th century empiricist wig weirdos had the right way of the world. Victorian Gothic is for people who think that 19th century sturm und drang emos had it right. Both bad, but different kinds of bad.

Great Midland Hotel better than Palace of Westminster though.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It looks exactly like this when I took the blank (ie no socket holes) white plastic rectangle face off.

There is wiring in the vicinity that goes behind the tiles to the cooker socket and up to the extractor fan so it's not entirely random.
There's wiring for the switch for the fan - the switch is about 10cm higher and 30cm 'round the corner' (there's a sort of sticking out corner which is hollow behind I think) from it.
I'd bet there's a wire going to it that's been cut back and shoved up in the wall somewhere. Unless there's conduits in the wall going to it in which case it may have been pulled through, but :effort:

Whether that cut back wire helps with rewiring or is more of a problem depends on who did it though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks for your electrical inputs :)
I guess I need to call the sparks and ask him come round and tell me what he thinks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Didn't even know my folks were going out today and then they got home and delivered me some gen-yew-ine Camrath fudge!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the sparky might have one of them magic things what detects lecky.

E: like, at a distance, cos obviously technically we all have things what detect lecky but I think you can get devices that do quietly through the wall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah there's very fancy ones now which inject radio frequency onto a wire and you can pick that up with the other bit of the kit even if the wire has been cut and shoved back up a wall. They're not cheap but they're starting to replace the ones that are just fancy metal detectors or require a current to be flowing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah there's very fancy ones now which inject radio frequency onto a wire and you can pick that up with the other bit of the kit even if the wire has been cut and shoved back up a wall.

I wonder if that is an outgrowth of those things that run your internet through the wiring.

I use one of those and it's dead good. Hardline internet connection is much nicer than wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they started off as an offshoot of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0REba0uGHs
that you use to find an internets or comms cable in the type of mess that they tend to live in, and someone said "hey we could harden one of those up to 500V and you could find mains cables with them (and we could add another few hundred to the price)."

Wouldn't surprise me if they used the exact same transformers to go between network level voltage and mains level voltage inside them.