Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

None for the kids?

Kids have better immune systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The photoshop job on that is terrible. Why couldn't they just take a real picture of Smiling Traditional White American Family wearing their helmets? :confused:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

HootTheOwl posted:

None for the kids?

It's more important to protect the parents. Lose a kid? The parents can just make a newer, better kid, no problem!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The kids are the ones doing the shooting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
this is how mister house stayed winning

https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1500059906568826882

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao when russia changes their regime it should oust the professional tweeters first

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr Beef Head posted:

Got caught by surprise by a commercial on tv last night. bulletproofhelmetusa. Kind of amazing seeing combat helmets for everyday use is a thing. It felt like a Robocop ad so i had to check it out. Paydirt.

Helmets: yes
Masks: MY FREEDOM

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Professor Shark posted:

The photoshop job on that is terrible. Why couldn't they just take a real picture of Smiling Traditional White American Family wearing their helmets? :confused:
money

stock photography + getting the UI person to do some basic photoshop

=

way cheaper than actually having a product and hiring models and a photographer and getting a location and and and

(the biggest part is probably the "actually having a product" and that seems questionable)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao "From a purely financial perspective, you should ignore existential risk." Way ahead of you buddy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I know they pulled it out of their rear end but I really really want to hear them explain how they "calculated" that "10% chance of global thermonuclear war" number in more detail

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm not a gun person nor a doctor, but I'm pretty sure a real bulletproof helmet would just liquify your brains on impact instead of having them blown out

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

tokin opposition posted:

I'm not a gun person nor a doctor, but I'm pretty sure a real bulletproof helmet would just liquify your brains on impact instead of having them blown out

the military would issue non-functional equipment? why, I never…

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

I think the idea is it turns glancing blows that would otherwise tear the top or sides of your skull off into merely a severe concussion, traumatic brain injury and probably a cracked skull, direct hits are still gonna scramble your eggs yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

depends on the round and remaining energy. this video shows a current US combat helmet that stopped a rifle round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xVuRb_kGhY

note that helmets are usually called bullet resistant, I’m guessing this round went through something else first but the helmet absolutely still saved that soldier’s life.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Shame Boy posted:

I think the idea is it turns glancing blows that would otherwise tear the top or sides of your skull off into merely a severe concussion, traumatic brain injury and probably a cracked skull, direct hits are still gonna scramble your eggs yeah

Military helmets in my day were specifically for shrapnel/debris. We were told any shooting at them would completely destroy them and you instantly.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Pssh 20 floors? That's your standard 65 storey suburban condo, more like 45 floors of plebs (who themselves are spending $1,000+ per square foot).

Vancouver has the same population as Portland, Oregon, whose tallest residential tower is 28 floors. I'd bet Vancouver has close to 50 residential towers that are taller.

Edit: this is not a flex, they are empty and used as laundering assets.

It's crazy, the population of the city of vancouver is less than 700,000. This document shows that there were about 309,000 dwellings, in 2016: https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/housing-characteristics-fact-sheet.pdf

Which means that it would be around 335k about a year ago: https://openhousing.ca/2020/12/30/vancouver-empty-homes-crossed-30000-mark-this-year/

There's about 1 unit for every 2 people in vancouver, but yimbys are still saying the problem is housing stock.

https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/b...medium=referral

quote:

It wasn't always this way, says Bergmann. When asked on Twitter to compare the rate of new housing completions from the 1970s to the last decade, the data expert found a significant gap.

Compared to the 2010s, he wrote, the 1970s saw 66 per cent more housing completions per 1,000 people.

"In total numbers, we averaged 18,693 completions a year in the 2010s," wrote Bergmann, "had we been building at (the) same rate as in the 70s, it would have been 31,130.

"Over those 10 years, that's a difference of 125,000 units."

If we built kept building at the same rate as the 70s, we'd have more houses than people right now. Really makes u think.

The thing about 9% empty is it's easy to say that's just, you know, liquidity. You gotta have some empties to let people buy and sell! But obviously it's enough that you can be more or less willing to sell those 9% and make prices go up or down. The assumption is that home prices are always a function of population and housing stock, but that's obviously not the case:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Just had the realisation how many of my friends left here because there's a lack of houses, to go work building apartments in Canada.

International Labour being directed to building homes for oligarchs to hide their money while the laborers cannot even buy a home in their own country.

The most efficient economic system.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

Just had the realisation how many of my friends left here because there's a lack of houses, to go work building apartments in Canada.

International Labour being directed to building homes for oligarchs to hide their money while the laborers cannot even buy a home in their own country.

The most efficient economic system.

For some reason the metaphor that popped into my head was when worker ants get trapped in a death spiral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKwQxO4EZU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

Also I know they pulled it out of their rear end but I really really want to hear them explain how they "calculated" that "10% chance of global thermonuclear war" number in more detail
It says "assign" not "calculate" for a reason buddy

chief

champ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It says "assign" not "calculate" for a reason buddy

chief

champ

Oh I noticed, I just want them to make up more bullshit about it to justify their thought process because it'd be funny

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

tokin opposition posted:

your brains have the consistency of custard. i don’t mean that as an insult towards you personally even though you’re very stupid, but living brain tissue has the consistency of custard.just something to think about

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ive eaten 6 species' brains altho not human. closest analogue is well-cooked thymus or 5-hours steamed lung w more fat

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Food is excellent, I'll give it that. Strongly disagree on the other points.

I lived most of my life in central Florida just so you know what I'm comparing Vancouver metro area to. Sometimes you have to live somewhere super lovely to appreciate other places.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I lived most of my life in central Florida just so you know what I'm comparing Vancouver metro area to. Sometimes you have to live somewhere super lovely to appreciate other places.

I thought you lived in north Florida, which is the one part of Florida that central Florida can feel slightly superior to :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Beef Head posted:

Got caught by surprise by a commercial on tv last night. bulletproofhelmetusa. Kind of amazing seeing combat helmets for everyday use is a thing. It felt like a Robocop ad so i had to check it out. Paydirt.

that photoshop is ghastly

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Shame Boy posted:

I thought you lived in north Florida, which is the one part of Florida that central Florida can feel slightly superior to :colbert:

Most of the candy years were spent in north Florida but I became a man working food service in the theme park crucible.

When I get depressed I pull up the NOAA sea level rise map, crank it to max and cackle at strip mall hell sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic. It Makes everything feel somehow better.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao we just got a very sincere HAPPY EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION DAY!!! email from management where they didn't even bother to spell "appreciation" correctly. I am feeling very apreciate, thanks :allears:

we used to have an employee appreciation picnic in the spring where at least we all got free food but we didnt have one in 2020 and 2021 so i guess we're no longer appreciated.

haven't heard yet about 2022 yet

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

COVID is going to sweep so many things like that under the rug lol

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Yeah, like imagine if every suburb in your town had its own cluster of high rise towers rather than just downtown and maaaybe one other area.

Like here is downtown, which is like 90% residential. Not a single major corporate HQ in the city:

Then there's Metrotown as shown previously, about a 30 minute drive from downtown:

Brentwood:

The City of North Vancouver where I lived:

New Westminster:

District of West Vancouver:

Lougheed:

Richmond (lower towers required as it's next to the international airport)

Surrey:

Coquitlam:

...plus more.

Note some of these photos are 8+ years old so there are many more towers now. Basically every single suburb has its own tower skyline as the whole city runs on real estate profits. Kinda ridiculous for a somewhat small city of 2.5 million.

I say this as an admirer of big poo poo rather than economist of any sort: the Vancouver skyline is just gorgeous. My understanding is they recently passed some legislation, effectively saying that you can't just have these empty apartment buildings sitting there and that they have to actually be used. Because of that my friend was able to rent a fancy loving high rise apartment for dirt cheap and he just works retail for a living.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Beartaco posted:

I say this as an admirer of big poo poo rather than economist of any sort: the Vancouver skyline is just gorgeous. My understanding is they recently passed some legislation, effectively saying that you can't just have these empty apartment buildings sitting there and that they have to actually be used. Because of that my friend was able to rent a fancy loving high rise apartment for dirt cheap and he just works retail for a living.

What was the incentive for allowing them to sit empty anyway? They'd still appreciate in value plus you'd get a little passive income from rent. Is it just a case of the rich being stupid or is their actually a good reason for it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the incentive for allowing them to sit empty anyway? They'd still appreciate in value plus you'd get a little passive income from rent. Is it just a case of the rich being stupid or is their actually a good reason for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Milo and POTUS posted:

In general if you have no vacancy, you can't pick up higher paid renters when they become available. So you keep rents high, and occupancy somewhere around 90% if you're a "professional landlord"

If you're clearly below that 90% you consider lowering rent for new renters(not the ones you've already got mind you).

If you're above 90% even a little you jack rates until you're at 90.

This isn't speculation. This is on paper playbook.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

1) For the insanely rich individuals, it means you can use the unit a couple weekends a year with no notice.
2) For management companies, they probably are willing to rent it out, but at a price people aren't willing to pay. If you can rent it out at your desired price within 12-18 months they may consider it better to let it stay vacant, since you're not signing paperwork with someone agreeing to rent it out for less for some period of time. Additionally, if most empty units are owned by a (relatively) small number of developers to the extent that you can kind of guess what the others are going to do, you can drive prices to your desired price point just by refusing to rent for less than that.

There's, I imagine, not a massive supply of perennially empty units, just a lot of units that stay empty for longer than you'd expect because of their high price. If prices are continually rising, there's a strong incentive to hold out for your desired price, and if there's a lot of people holding out for their desired prices, then prices will keep rising.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Most of the candy years were spent in north Florida but I became a man working food service in the theme park crucible.

When I get depressed I pull up the NOAA sea level rise map, crank it to max and cackle at strip mall hell sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic. It Makes everything feel somehow better.

Ahh okay.

Really miss that candy by the way :shobon:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ive eaten 6 species' brains altho not human. closest analogue is well-cooked thymus or 5-hours steamed lung w more fat

cooked brain reminds me more of a soft tofu, but creamy and rich

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ikanreed posted:

In general if you have no vacancy, you can't pick up higher paid renters when they become available. So you keep rents high, and occupancy somewhere around 90% if you're a "professional landlord"

If you're clearly below that 90% you consider lowering rent for new renters(not the ones you've already got mind you).

If you're above 90% even a little you jack rates until you're at 90.

This isn't speculation. This is on paper playbook.

sometimes you will see the landlord offering free rent for x months when signing a 12 month contract, this is so the on paper monthly rent doesn't drop below the threshold demanded by their mortgage

duz has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Mar 6, 2022

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

For sale: Children's bullet proof helmet. Used.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's hard to believe war reporting could get worse than Iraq but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

evilpicard posted:

It's hard to believe war reporting could get worse than Iraq but here we are

This isn't worse than Iraq.