Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

When I was still envisioning a ZRX I was preparing to face the worst dilemma only after buying: live without a top case, or trade those big gorgeous handles for the thin rail of a rear rack.

You can get top boxes with grab handles and backrests (although presumably they're seriously weighty).

Idea: One of those pivoting, braking trailers you can get for Goldwings, but fitted out for passenger use. Seating comfort of a sidecar, but you keep motorbike handling. Exhaust gases might be an issue though.

Even better idea - One of these:

but Goldwing. As you're already gonna have a long, sloppy linkage for the front wheel, might as well slap hub-centre steering on it while you're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
hm, interesting.
Looks like you are correct, the cush rubber seems to be rare, but it's the same as used in the vulcan 750 that was made until 2006. I can find it used here and there at least.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The best thing for traveling with a pillion, while remaining fun and nimble for a single person, is a mazda miata.

Steakandchips posted:

Didn’t you once argue in favour of Guzzis, something to do with dropping or not dropping them and their jutting out cylinders?

In slavvy's defense, he was just arguing that bricking the bike from a parking lot nap is ok because you can simply not let it fall over ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

The best thing for traveling with a pillion, while remaining fun and nimble for a single person, is a mazda miata.

In slavvy's defense, he was just arguing that bricking the bike from a parking lot nap is ok because you can simply not let it fall over ever.

Oooh that conversation, I remember now. Yeah ok, it's true, I don't think street bikes should be designed to fall over and if that worries you don't get one, but that's some devil's advocate poo poo, I certainly don't condone owning a guzzi.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Those protruding cyclinders do worry me a bit, person who has crashed his bike on the streets several times and ways on the learning curve, and came out of the office once to find that someone had knocked my bike on its side somehow despite it being parked in a dedicated motorcycle lot.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I suppose that would rule out an R18 as well!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I only recently learned what it means for an engine to be a "fully stressed member", maybe with such engineering miracles in the world that does double duty as a frame slider?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

More like a pole, as in pole vault.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Being a frame member, and resisting impact without distorting or fracturing or otherwise impinging on all the frantically moving machine components inside, are two very different jobs unfortunately.

I thought BMW did reinforce their valve heads - and presumably the cylinder bodies to resist bending? but ultimately there's only so much you can do

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh yeah I was totally kidding. I'd like to think my bike-dropping days are behind me, but poo poo definitely happens and I'd like to not total the bike if it does.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

I'd like to think my bike-dropping days are behind me,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w_XuOBnUAg

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
And that kawa gt550 is mine. The shop had gotten the bike was part of a package deal from a widow and the shop had built it back up as it was semi apart.
All fluids replaced, carbs rebuilt etc. There some rust spots here and there that needs adressing, but other wise seemed fine. Picking it up tomorrow if the weather permits it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've seen some conversations about suspenders + belts over in the gear thread that had me thinking that maybe, just maybe, this forum is being invaded by Guzzi enthusiasts, and now look what's going on in here

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

And that kawa gt550 is mine. The shop had gotten the bike was part of a package deal from a widow and the shop had built it back up as it was semi apart.
All fluids replaced, carbs rebuilt etc. There some rust spots here and there that needs adressing, but other wise seemed fine. Picking it up tomorrow if the weather permits it.

:nice:

Jazzzzz posted:

I've seen some conversations about suspenders + belts over in the gear thread that had me thinking that maybe, just maybe, this forum is being invaded by Guzzi enthusiasts, and now look what's going on in here

I will fight them with my dying breath. The orange enemy has been vanquished, the flying V is the new enemy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:nice:

I will fight them with my dying breath. The orange enemy has been vanquished, the flying V is the new enemy.

Only one way to settle this. Cappuccinos at dawn.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

e; who am I kidding, there's no more questions now- I'll now be fully fixated on the Triumph T120 until next week's test ride either dispels it, or sells me on it.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 5, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Remy Marathe posted:

Oh yeah I was totally kidding. I'd like to think my bike-dropping days are behind me, but poo poo definitely happens and I'd like to not total the bike if it does.

You would never be so uncoordinated to drop a bike, but the PO (also you) might be.

This statement will only make sense if you have bought or sold motorcycles.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

e; who am I kidding, there's no more questions now- I'll now be fully fixated on the Triumph T120 until next week's test ride either dispels it, or sells me on it.

pls post your experience, i am probably going the same route later this year

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
So, I'm planning to get back into riding after a decade long break from it. I'm pretty determined to get something with ABS, fuel injection, and smaller displacement single cylinder. It'll be mostly for commuting in a city setting but would see the occasional jaunt to the woods. I'm pretty enamored with the Husqvarna Svartpilan 401, but I am wondering if there are other solid considerations, used or otherwise, I should be judging in the same price range? How different is the duke 390, CB300?

A second question regarding the Svartpilan. These things do not appear to have sold in any appreciable numbers, or at least don't show up on the used market. If I had to purchase from a dealer, can I use that to my advantage? I've never actually dealt with a dealer before, just dodgy craigslistings. It seems like if they can't move the things, I should be able to get a discount just to take it off their hands, but is that very realistic?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The 390/401 engine is pretty widely regarded as a timebomb. It is also apparently disposable. The CB300R doesn't make very much power (for the class) and its engine is kind of characterless, but I think it's a good bike otherwise. Is there a reason you're set on a single over a twin? It seems like a fairly arbitrary requirement. It's not like a V-twin vs inline 4 or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. 390 and 401 are the same in all the important ways, the differences are largely cosmetic

2. 390's are among the worst motorcycles available today from a non-garbage brand, they are terribly built machines

3. A 401 will burst into flame at the mere hint of 'the woods', let alone actually functioning there

Basically, anything that isn't an actual dirt bike with lights (KTM exc's, crf450 etc) or a road enduro (drz, 701, wr250, t7 etc), will be functionally identical to a normal bike off-road aka bordering on totally useless, while still being pointlessly tall and bouncy and on poo poo tires when it comes to road usage.

You need to decide now if you actually care about off-road performance or if it's just something that would be nice to have, after that it's possible to narrow down to actual models.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just get a DRZ?

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
No attachment to single cylinder at all really, just sort of gravitated there when looking around since they seem efficient, lightweight, and simple. And in hindsight that woods comment wasn't very accurate, I meant occasionally riding gravel or less well maintained forest roads, not actual trails or off-road. I guess I should mention, I'm a dude of pretty short stature, 5'7" would be...generous, between that and lots of stop and go riding, I'd like to keep the seat height manageable.

I had read a handful of people talking about terrible quality of KTM's indian produced motors, but hadn't actually seen much evidence beyond "nothing is or can be well made in India", but it does make me pause, especially since no one seems to buy them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fluffs McCloud posted:

No attachment to single cylinder at all really, just sort of gravitated there when looking around since they seem efficient, lightweight, and simple. And in hindsight that woods comment wasn't very accurate, I meant occasionally riding gravel or less well maintained forest roads, not actual trails or off-road. I guess I should mention, I'm a dude of pretty short stature, 5'7" would be...generous, between that and lots of stop and go riding, I'd like to keep the seat height manageable.

I had read a handful of people talking about terrible quality of KTM's indian produced motors, but hadn't actually seen much evidence beyond "nothing is or can be well made in India", but it does make me pause, especially since no one seems to buy them.

Ok here's some first hand evidence: I had to rebuild a 390, which shat itself for no apparent reason at about 10kkm, and upon trying to replace the main bearings I found out that they are a part that doesn't exist on it's own, you have to buy brand new cases every time you want to rebuild the motor.

You sound like you're the perfect candidate for an mt03 or z400 tbh.

Ktm nz no longer honor major warranty claims on the 390, they literally just buy the whole bike back cause it's cheaper and less or a hassle.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 6, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Will you ever need sustained speeds or passing power above 55? If not, and if no ABS isn't a dealbreaker, a VanVan200 is pretty fun to commute or tool around town on, and can do dirt roads in a modicum of comfort. Drawbacks in addition to the low power: small gas tank, and it's awkward to ride standing up.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 6, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pick any of the amazing small displacement options nowadays: MT03 for the great price, revvy engine, and lowest seat height of the bunch, Z400 if you have to have the most (reliable) power in class, CB300R for the best styling (imo) and lightest weight, KLX300SM if you want a supermoto.

I take my MT03 down gravel and forest roads no problem, just take it easy obviously and mind your tires that are made for pavement, you can rectify this down the line obviously with an 80/20 tire if you find yourself doing that more.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 6, 2022

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

get a drz400sm. I learned to ride on an old-rear end kz440 about 15 years ago, didn't ride since then, got back on a bike last year and I loving LOVE my drz. they're real good bikes and a ton of fun. I'm not terribly tall (5'10") and I have no problem flat footing it at a stop.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fluffs McCloud posted:

Honda CMX500 Rebel, your height would be an absolute non-issue on a Rebel.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Just get a DRZ?

But Not Tonight posted:

get a drz400sm. I learned to ride on an old-rear end kz440 about 15 years ago, didn't ride since then, got back on a bike last year and I loving LOVE my drz. they're real good bikes and a ton of fun. I'm not terribly tall (5'10") and I have no problem flat footing it at a stop.

:emptyquote:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

OP specifically said he wants an EFI bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fluffs McCloud posted:

Gravel capable thumper with abs and efi is not a very common combination yet. Small gravel capable thumpers that are a joy to ride are extremely common though, and very affordable in the used market. What are you basing your efi/abs preference on? The aforementioned DRZ SM is a great bike that performs everything you listed wonderfully.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Slavvy posted:

Ok here's some first hand evidence: I had to rebuild a 390, which shat itself for no apparent reason at about 10kkm, and upon trying to replace the main bearings I found out that they are a part that doesn't exist on it's own, you have to buy brand new cases every time you want to rebuild the motor.

You sound like you're the perfect candidate for an mt03 or z400 tbh.

Ktm nz no longer honor major warranty claims on the 390, they literally just buy the whole bike back cause it's cheaper and less or a hassle.

Fair enough, I'll let the Husqvarna go I suppose. The last time I was riding I had an old GS450 frankenbike, and I spent so much time trying to track down problems left over from the previous owner's meth addiction that I barely had a 1:1 ratio of riding to wrenching...I don't really want to do that again.

I did have another thought, for better or worse, my history of riding only 70s-80s UJMs probably skewed my expectations of motorcycles. I tried riding my buddy's second gen SV650, and it was much different than I remembered motorcycling. So I am trying to maybe broaden my search criteria to include a little larger displacement.

I really like the styling on the Z650RS, cause I guess I still have a soft spot for bikes that didn't change much for 25 years. That makes the XSR700 seem like an option as well. I am a little curious if anyone has experience with the triumph trident, I don't really know anything about modern triumphs? It's safe to assume the Honda CB650R is a dependable and refined piece of engineering?

The CB300R, MT03, and Z400; in that order are the current go and test ride list.

Steakandchips posted:

Honda CMX500 Rebel, your height would be an absolute non-issue on a Rebel.

I'll probably test one out, but honestly and fully acknowledging my questionable aesthetic taste, I think it's an ugly bike that would require a makeover I'm not going to do for it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you want a small dual sport with a low seat height and efi, look at the XT250. If you want something bigger, most of the manufacturers make a ~650 adventure bike to look at. The v-strom and KLR are particularly liked around here.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Gravel capable thumper with abs and efi is not a very common combination yet. Small gravel capable thumpers that are a joy to ride are extremely common though, and very affordable in the used market. What are you basing your efi/abs preference on? The aforementioned DRZ SM is a great bike that performs everything you listed wonderfully.

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time looking around only to have the scarcity of bike meeting my criteria confirmed.

EFI is basically because I don't want to tune carbs or deal with the fuel system, prior experience with old bikes made it clear to me that I enjoy riding motorcycles much more than working on them. EFI seems like it reached a point of dependability, predictability, and economy that I would prefer. Maybe past experience has colored my opinions wrongly, I suppose I could revisit them.

ABS is just a safety thing, I never had any major crashes previously that I and my bike couldn't walk/drive away from. That said, if an option is available to me to improve my safety, I'd just as soon have it, riding is fun and I don't want it cut short.

My brother owned a DRZ 400, and I will gladly admit it was a lot of fun to ride, those and a KLX are still considerations, but if I can meet my EFI, ABS, and city manners requirements by forgoing the ability to get into rougher terrain, it's a deal I will take.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carbs only have to be messed with when somebody else hosed them up through uninformed tinkering, neglect, or both, but last time that derail happened in here people got really upset about that so I’ll shut up.

I’m not really current on abs stuff, but efi and abs both on a dual sport seems most common on pricier brands like KTM. I rode a CRF250 with efi for a good chunk of a day a couple months ago and hated the fuel mapping on it. I don’t know if it’s something that can be fixed, but on/off throttle in 1st-3rd was so much more obnoxious than a cv carb. I also rode a Husky TR650 a few years ago and really enjoyed it. That’s a stellar dual sport imo. The Terra has efi but no abs, the Strada has both.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 7, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hokey fuel delivery systems and ancient venturies are no match for a good fuel injector in your intake, kid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol imagine thinking carbs are ”hokey”

:cmon:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The funny thing about the debate is that the only real arguments against efi are snatchy fueling and being unserviceable in the field, but when someone suggests “actually carbs are not a bad thing” the efi devotees absolutely cannot let that stand.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

And I’m not trying to prolong the debate, but I went through this same process on these forums a few years ago and it was explained to me that by insisting on efi I was limiting myself from some brilliant bikes. I learned here that a thoughtfully set carb and unfuckedwith fuel/air delivery requires zero attention. I ended up with bike I love, so this is not looking for a reason to be contrarian or poo poo on someone’s bike search parameters. There’s a lot of misinformation about both efi and abs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I haven't had to gently caress with my carbs once and it's given me zero issues. sure, I sometimes have to close the choke a lil bit when it's cold but then it warms up, I open it and off we go. might be different if I had some previous fuckery done to it but it was tuned up fine from the dealership. :shrug: