Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Angrymantium posted:

Yeah it's stuff like this that frustrates me, and why I can't take the attitude of 'oh CA will just fix it eventually' seriously - we have the recent precedent of them just ending support for three kingdoms, so the fact that they're coming out weeks after launch talking about spaghetti code, talking about how the first bug fixing patch won't come out for a month and we shouldn't expect any gameplay-based patches for the forseeable future, tell me that they might not be getting around to fixing stuff in the way they did for the last game.

The fact that the campaign design feels like someone doubling down on the specific things everyone hated about the Vortex shows that they aren't actually taking player feedback seriously. You can point to them fixing or updating stuff after launch of WH2, but them making the same mistakes or worse again...I don't know why I should trust a developer that doesn't have to market for a game after the current one (since they wanted people playing WH2 to buy 3, but they don't have a title coming out after this) to keep supporting this.

There's an interesting thread on the subreddit here that helps explain the step back in traits that many have noted, which is rooted in the same fuckup that lead to the Norsca incompatibility:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/t7axbx/many_parts_of_wh3_including_hero_traits_are_not/

Hopefully CA at least lets you turn off the RoC race in the near future, but I don't see any reason to believe that they're going to prioritize putting this game in a decent state the way they kept building on 2.

As frustrated as I am with the launch, I think the extremely long tail on DLC sales for 2 means they're guaranteed to be supporting this one for a long time because they'd like to replicate it. At least if players don't just disappear because of the bad release and never come back, but I don't think that'll happen. Worst case scenario they'd probably do some kind of relaunch like they did with Rome 2 when Immortal Empires comes out and maybe toss in a free DLC to sweeten the pot. I do agree about them not seeming to have learned from previous mistakes though, and that reddit thread's pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I also don't think the game is fundamentally unsalvageable? Biggest issues are the chaos realms with the victory race, which will probably be a total non-issue in Immortal Empires, a number of bugs and stability problems, which hopefully get fixed in the not so distant future, and most factions not being as fleshed out as the WH2 factions after dozens of DLC, which is again just a matter of time and DLC releases.

Look at release WH2 Skaven to see that WH3 is no worse in that regard than WH2. Or just think of an iconic HE unit like the Sisters of Avelorn, and then remember that this is a DLC unit that wasn't in at launch. Weaknesses in the faction's rosters will be fixed, and disappointing LLs will get buffed. I think release Teclis didn't have a mount at all, or only a horse at most. Now he can ride an awesome phoenix.

And please remember that WH2 uniquely gained more players during it's lifetime than it had on release. CA surely already budgeted a certain amount of DLC sales for WH3 over 5 years or so into their business plan, there's no way they will abandon a potential cash cow like WH3. Comparisons to Three Kingdoms are simply not valid.

As for me, I stopped playing the game, but I know I will return once Immortal Empires comes out at the latest, or maybe once mods can do away with the victory race and I can just casually play the campaign. I don't consider the game to be a failure at all, but your mileage may vary obviously.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Big ogre belly laughs at the hot takes that CA is going to quietly and sheepishly call Total War Warhammer 3 a mistake and abandon all support and DLC. Pack it in lads, we had a rough launch, just cancel 5 years of guaranteed profitability and forging the best game in the entire IP by a mile.

You don't have to enjoy the game as it is now or the wait but seriously put down your pearls, the game will be patched repeatedly. There will be IE. There will be Chorfs. There will be 10+ DLC and FLCs. There will be mod support.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, as much as I'm *extremely* down on TWW3's release, suggesting that they're going to go "aw shucks" and abandon a franchise that has a proven track record of people being willing to buy DLC after DLC after DLC to a degree that would make a games-as-a-service developer die from envy is tinfoil hat nonsense.

The game is absolutely salvageable and will absolutely be fixed over time. My position is more that it's highly disappointing that they learned so much from TWW2's lifespan but still made so many of the same mistakes that will require long and laborious fixing, rather than that they're not going to fix it at all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It sucks because I think a lot still shows this game and series was and is a passion project for a lot of people too. If covid shenanigans and sega suits are involved in shoving it out the door I wouldn’t be shocked. Unless they really drop the ball I trust them based on 1 and 2. poo poo sucks right now but even having dropped 2x nearly full price on steam preorders I figure it will feel worth the dosh. Even with the inevitable mandatory DLC.

Like lmao comparing TWW to one of my other favourite nerd games, EU4. With this at least I can tell a friend to just snag base 2 or even 1 and then see what they like and explain which DLCs are probably worth it to them. EU4 costs like 400 and no one up to and including the steam store or wiki can remember or explain wtf a given expansion does.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I mean if WH2 is any indication, CA understands that this game is going to print money. Is it perfect? No, but I never expected that. It has its issues (gently caress you, Tzeentch maze), but the core loop is actually really fun, and the QoL changes are just loving amazing.

Once they sort out the technical stuff and drop the big map on us, I'm probably going to drop a shitload more time into the game.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I guess when your whole brand is "let me have a max level wizard instead of an army" and "I stream campaign for 7 hours straight", the changes might be too much to bear

E: really thinking about it, the game feels much more suited to casual play than #2. Picking it up for 10-20 turns at a time has left me in a very positive place with the state of things, but I haven't marathoned it yet

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 5, 2022

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chakan posted:

Set the difficulty to easy and see if that helps. Otherwise, it's go back to a previous save. I'm curious about what position you're in that you can't afford to lose an army at turn 162, If you're just worried about losing a couple settlements it's not as painful as it looks. If you're saying "this is my last army defending my last settlement" drat I want to hear that story.

It's not my last settlements it's more... the energy of losing a built-up province while I try to get my main armies back there since they were all around the rear end ends of the maps (Two are off wiping out Skrag, two are off basically in the Chaos Wastes, I was in the middle of clearing out the norse tribes)It's like... I don't have energy for it. It's not that I cannot afford to eat the loss and then the following loss of East Oblast while I get someone down there to sort poo poo out. It's that I don't have the energy to eat the loss and gently caress around with Vampires in the middle of it when the reason is I just couldn't do a fight because this game is busted rear end. It's the difference between "Ah, I just wasn't able to defend it with my own play, I must accept that and adjust around it." Vs "I can win this fight, I know I can, but the game genuinely literally refuses to let me even attempt it. And unlike Warhammer 2 this isn't unstable because I have 150 mods installed, it's unstable because it's buggy and bad."

And changing the difficulty to Easy/Easy didn't change it, it was a valiant defeat either way.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

The Door Frame posted:

I guess when your whole brand is "let me have a max level wizard instead of an army" and "I stream campaign for 7 hours straight", the changes might be too much to bear

E: really thinking about it, the game feels much more suited to casual play than #2. Picking it up for 10-20 turns at a time has left me in a very positive place with the state of things, but I haven't marathoned it yet

"After a mere 500 hours, I have determined this game is not worth my time"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

WH2 races had generally much better tech trees, certainly more so than Cathay, the faction I was looking forward to the most, who has a tech tree full of mostly entirely pointless poo poo. 3% here, 3% there, maybe it adds up, but it's loving with my harmony and the buffs don't feel worthwhile when they take 4 loving turns to research so I'll just not engage with it. I don't really remember having to click through as much useless fluff.

Autoresolve tied to campaign difficulty is another massive killer, the coup de grace when it's combined with the settlement battle changes. And this hurts more than in WH2 because this change was supposed to make them more fun. Instead it's made them even worse and now you can't even autoresolve your way through them unless you're playing on normal/normal. And if you do that you'll never have a field battle again because the AI doesn't have enough armies.

Like stuff being the same issue from WH2 still being an issue is kind of a massive problem when they did put in work on fixing them. The work they did was either not enough, or pursuing ideas that flat out just don't work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I will say I think settlements are far more fun to defend. Attacking them...maybe somewhat better than WH2 but not enough. Certainly more varied.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I will say I think settlements are far more fun to defend. Attacking them...maybe somewhat better than WH2 but not enough. Certainly more varied.

The settlement battle maps are actually fun and good, in my opinion. They're interesting to do every so often. The problem occurs when they end up being a massive percentage of the battles you do, because the time it takes to do them coupled with the warts they have(unit pathfinding is a disaster on some of them, for example) means that they become really annoying rather than fun.

I'd love if they only happened in T3 minors.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/t7axbx/many_parts_of_wh3_including_hero_traits_are_not/

Who remembers Norsca?

They've done it again, but worse, being at least 4 expansions back from current wh2.

Anyone seen any Waaaghs? Any herdstones? I haven't and apparently thats because the version of 2 that 3 has been built on is from 2019.

I think we now know why the roadmaps getting delayed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Theswarms posted:

Who remembers Norsca?

They've done it again, but worse, being at least 4 expansions back from current wh2.

Anyone seen any Waaaghs? Any herdstones? I haven't and apparently thats because the version of 2 that 3 has been built on is from 2019.

:eyepop:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't mind the settlement battles, though the maps definitely completely screw over some gimmick armies. They're not really that complicated though, are they? Just walk in there and kill the AI en route to capture points. Not sure why people hate them so much. Can't say I do a ton of them either

The real bummer is usually pathfinding. I really hope they make that smoother

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

orangelex44 posted:

"After a mere 500 hours, I have determined this game is not worth my time"

1000. He has played 1000 hours of WH3 since mid January.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

They keep doing this.

Every game, a unique branch of the engine they can't bring improvements over into the other branches just heading further and further from each other. Warhammer just highlights this because the games are supposed to build on each other and are coming out in a chain.

They need a loving engine team and per game assets split out from it.

Then you can have crazy poo poo like games getting expansions also getting the improvements being built for the new games! Madness!

This would be effort though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

1000. He has played 1000 hours of WH3 since mid January.

lol

honest to god he probably exhausted all the content already. 9ish LLs, 8 factions with realm victories, 8 factions with dom victories.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Doomykins posted:

lol

honest to god he probably exhausted all the content already. 9ish LLs, 8 factions with realm victories, 8 factions with dom victories.

It's definitely partially this. It was somewhat plausible for him to maintain his insane psycho-brained stream/content schedule for end-stage TWW2 because end-stage TWW2 had an absolute shitload of content, but TWW3 is a whole lot thinner on the ground for *stuff*. You can't do 12 hour streams every day for weeks and also release videos on top of that without simply running out of stuff to do or show.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Eimi posted:

WH2 races had generally much better tech trees, certainly more so than Cathay, the faction I was looking forward to the most, who has a tech tree full of mostly entirely pointless poo poo. 3% here, 3% there, maybe it adds up, but it's loving with my harmony and the buffs don't feel worthwhile when they take 4 loving turns to research so I'll just not engage with it. I don't really remember having to click through as much useless fluff.

Autoresolve tied to campaign difficulty is another massive killer, the coup de grace when it's combined with the settlement battle changes. And this hurts more than in WH2 because this change was supposed to make them more fun. Instead it's made them even worse and now you can't even autoresolve your way through them unless you're playing on normal/normal. And if you do that you'll never have a field battle again because the AI doesn't have enough armies.

Like stuff being the same issue from WH2 still being an issue is kind of a massive problem when they did put in work on fixing them. The work they did was either not enough, or pursuing ideas that flat out just don't work.

Yeah, the tech trees are generally pretty bad. "Here's a minor buff to one specific unit that you stopped using 50 turns ago, but this is like the last tech in the loving tree! It takes 8 turns to research!" or "Here's +5 growth! It takes 12 turns to research!"

There's some good techs, but most of it is terrible, filler bullshit that provides nothing of appreciable value for the time invested.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I think there's a philosophy to research and skill boosts that really needs to be looked at. First of all they are weirdly controversial because when I bring it up on the steam forums grognards come barging in yelling about how making your units stronger through the campaign is BAD and requires zero input. But that doesn't have to be true.

With research, you get boosts that apply to every copy of that particular unit for the entire campaign. There's lots of ways to balance this. The simplest way is to spread out the research across a lot of techs so it'll take a very long time to make everything good, like with Dwarves. Or you could require special resources for certain techs like canopic jars. More commonly you can require specific buildings or locations to unlock some. Finally you can gate some with money. So I kind of feel there's no excuse for what we get. Based on what I've seen, this is how they could have made some tech trees:

Kislev has techs gated by Devotion and control of specific cities. Problem is while you can improve their rituals and commandments the improvement is negligible. Few of the upgrades add anything new. Devotion could have been used to speed up research or greatly improve oblast type provinces (making them disproportionately good at improving resource poor areas). They get a tech that doubles income from resource production buildings but only about half of them actually provide income :shepface:. Great on a gold mine but there's not many of those. If it doubled the bonuses you get like upkeep reduction or discounts then it would be nice.

Cathay has neutral, yin, and yang techs. An interesting approach, but I think instead they should have had techs that require HARMONY to unlock. Since this takes a bit of micromanagement but can snowball if you pull it off it rewards players carefully planning their empire. The techs are kind of weird, like small amounts of armor piercing for crossbows or banners that are only going to be on one unit in one army at a time and not nearly as good as tomb king counterparts. Peasant archers can get stalk but somehow Kislevite kossars can't? There didn't seem to be anything to boost the compass cooldown, stuff for caravans, better discounts for switching between yin and yang versions of a support building,etc.

Ogres are all right I guess but rather limited, the only thing that really stands out is increasing max camp capacity. The meat mechanic feels like an afterthought, you can't increase max storage of lords, or get any additional uses beyond the 4 maw offerings. A capstone tech of them getting underway stance would have been nice for a player - I wouldn't put it past that ogres can figure out the underway eventually considering Greenskins can and you can disable it in places like chaos realms.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I can't help but wish this game really was a big dlc expansion for 2 instead of what we got: the b team taking an old version of 2 and adding some pretty terrible features.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SFO adds a fun research option for dwarves, if you build a top tier building for each of the units you can pick a rune for each unit type, so all quarrelers, all thunderers etc, and you pick from one of four runis and they're all extremely good, but it makes them more expensive to field.

It is good because it just makes your roster slightly more elite which fits with dwarves but you can also do stuff like specializing your units giving you the option of long range guns, or very high damage quarrelers etc, you basically end up picking stuff that really changes the units and you start to think about what you can get first and how you want to round out your army playing to the strengths of each unit but also army composition as a whole, you probably have units you really like and thus their upgrades are more important but you also might want to bring units in specifically because you put a different type of upgrade on them that makes them good at filling a role they previously weren't.

I also really like their god mechanics for the empire where you can pick ulric or sigmar and pick an army ability that is powered by how many T5 religious buildings you built. There's a bunch of stuff you can do with the game to link strategic elements in the campaign with research and units/army abilities, they're just deliberately very restrained with what they do in the base game for some reason.

I'm a big fan of impactful research changes to units honestly. There's a couple in WH3 like the aforementioned archer stalk for cathay (also maybe the thing that gives jade lancers double charge power on flanking? Didn't get round to using it) but it's been an issue with tech trees generally. WH3 overall though just seems to hate fun or substantial buffs even more than 2. Feels like they just don't like having those things but feel like they need to fill them out with something and so what they end up with is mostly filler.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 6, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kanos posted:

It's definitely partially this. It was somewhat plausible for him to maintain his insane psycho-brained stream/content schedule for end-stage TWW2 because end-stage TWW2 had an absolute shitload of content, but TWW3 is a whole lot thinner on the ground for *stuff*. You can't do 12 hour streams every day for weeks and also release videos on top of that without simply running out of stuff to do or show.

have i finally become old? because the idea of playing any videogame for 12 straight hours, much less doing that day after day, sounds absolutely miserable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

have i finally become old? because the idea of playing any videogame for 12 straight hours, much less doing that day after day, sounds absolutely miserable.

Making a living as a content creator requires a pretty heavy hustle to rise above the "a couple hundred viewers" level, so it's partially economically motivated.

It does sound pretty miserable to me too, but some people are wired like that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

Old or not, doing long streams like that day after day is definitely not good for people's health. I assume some streamers make up for it in their off time, but you get the sense that some others clearly do not. Not that I'm in the best shape I could be either, and gaming has contributed to that at times, but I'd definitely be in worse shape if my day job (or second job) was being chained to a computer for hours at a time with extremely minimal breaks. The money part of being a top streamer would be nice, but otherwise it seems pretty loving awful to me.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Ogre ladies should be the pop up post-battle camps like in WH2, let everyone play with lady ogres CA

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I've played this game for 12 hours today but only because I have the house to myself and have been loving the battle now that I did the fix for the 12gen intel bug. Might not be many people but I have to imagine there are other people like me who haven't played a total war before this and assumed at first the game combat was just slow and choppy and not a bug.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I am enjoying the game, tho I am more interested in the combined map. But until then I am fine with playing a couple of hours here and there when I feel like it. Just finished a VH/N N'kari campaign and had a ton of fun! The last battle was ok, I am not a huge fan of the survival battles but I don't hate them either, just prefer the normal ones. Might keep playing that campaign now and then and just murder stuff, I have a few former and current enemies that I would enjoy conquering(Skarbraaaaaaaand :arghfist::mad:)

Though I had read here it was a lot of soul grinders so I headed in with 8 rank 6+ of my own and just stomped all over everything, backed up with some fiends, exalted daemonettes, one of each hero, a Keeper of Secrets and some probably very confused Demigryph Knights w/halberds :v: Lost basically nothing except for some of the reinforcement units lol. Next up will be Cathay as Miao I think!

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

KPC_Mammon posted:

I can't help but wish this game really was a big dlc expansion for 2 instead of what we got: the b team taking an old version of 2 and adding some pretty terrible features.

I think part of the point of releasing an entirely new game (with identical gameplay as a feature) is that it brings in more people than a DLC pack would. So there's reasoning from a marketing perspective, even though I agree with you that it would have been better for everyone if we just got a higher priced DLCs with the chaos and human factions or something.

The outpost and diplomacy updates are honestly pretty cool, and if you ported those into TWW2 ME you'd have a fantastic game right off the bat even without adding in new races. I also don't really mind settlement battles, but it is annoying that they're basically mandatory since the AI will spend all it's time in forced march one pixel away from you if you're not setting up ambushes.

Sinteres posted:

As frustrated as I am with the launch, I think the extremely long tail on DLC sales for 2 means they're guaranteed to be supporting this one for a long time because they'd like to replicate it. At least if players don't just disappear because of the bad release and never come back, but I don't think that'll happen. Worst case scenario they'd probably do some kind of relaunch like they did with Rome 2 when Immortal Empires comes out and maybe toss in a free DLC to sweeten the pot. I do agree about them not seeming to have learned from previous mistakes though, and that reddit thread's pretty interesting.

But yeah, my concern for the longevity of this iteration isn't about the game having a flawed launch, but about CA making decisions that go against lessons they should have already learned. The devs came out and said they wanted to deincentivize trait hunting so they made defeat traits worse, when that was an interesting part of the game in ME. They heard people complain about and ignore the Vortex, and they put out a game mode that exacerbates those issues. Bad tech trees and non-sensical lord skill progression that feels about on par with the state of TWW1 just show that they're actively ignoring the player base that has been paying them for years, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to believe that they'll suddenly start learning in the future. Everyone keeps citing the fact that TWW2 was great after five years of DLC and updates, but the same logic should carry over to the fact that TWW3 was released after all of the things that made TWW2 good, and somehow didn't retain any of it.

A big part of this is the fact that Thrones of Brittania, 3K, and Troy were all released in between Warhammer titles, and CA can go back to cranking out historical titles without paying GW licensing fees whenever they decide to stop supporting TWW3. Even if TWW3 had no bugs, there is an insane amount of work needed to bring the gameplay back to the interesting level that TWW2 reached, and at some point they're going to have to pick between spending resources on development of further DLC and balance patches for existing content that they won't get paid for. That post they put out on Thursday about how we're a month out from a bugfix and ??? from a gameplay patch or mod support should be pretty concerning, this clearly isn't getting the attention TWW2 got with mods out from close to the beginning.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kinda surprised at how negative the reaction is so far. My ogre campaign, besides some relatively minor annoyances, has been a lot of fun

I wanted to try a demon campaign next, because I always default to the boring human guys and want to do something different, but I guess their campaign mechanics suck? Whats the most fun demon faction?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey when I use reveal faction intentions as Tzeentch where do I actually see that information?

babypolis posted:

Kinda surprised at how negative the reaction is so far. My ogre campaign, besides some relatively minor annoyances, has been a lot of fun

I don't get the doomsaying in this thread at all. It feels like I'm playing a different game to everyone else.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 6, 2022

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

babypolis posted:

I wanted to try a demon campaign next, because I always default to the boring human guys and want to do something different, but I guess their campaign mechanics suck? Whats the most fun demon faction?

I'm having a lot of fun with a Slaanesh campaign currently, but they're all supposedly pretty good except for Nurgle who's a bit underpowered.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Slaanesh and Tzeentch have pretty horrid casualty replenishment but are otherwise good and Khorne is the best campaign in the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Eimi posted:

Did they? Because I'll take the Cathay tech tree over the Lizardman one and I have no memory of the High Elf tech tree at all.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lucinice posted:

Hey when I use reveal faction intentions as Tzeentch where do I actually see that information?

On the main screen, there are these faint lines coming out of all the enemy armies, kind of like the coloured lines you get out of ranged units to show where they're aiming.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Theswarms posted:

Who remembers Norsca?

I can believe that the first WH3 build branched off three years ago; what I'd be a bit more skeptical on is that nobody at CA considered "how are we merging this stuff back in?" at any point since then. It's possible, for sure, and clearly they've been inconsistent on the numbers they've been balancing to, but there's no way they'd make the exact same fuckup twice in the same series... right? Right? Someone went to the effort of back-porting Ogres to WH2, which might be a sign that whoever was doing end-of-life WH2 poo poo was playing around with both builds and how to combine them.

Angrymantium posted:

I think part of the point of releasing an entirely new game (with identical gameplay as a feature) is that it brings in more people than a DLC pack would. So there's reasoning from a marketing perspective, even though I agree with you that it would have been better for everyone if we just got a higher priced DLCs with the chaos and human factions or something.

The outpost and diplomacy updates are honestly pretty cool, and if you ported those into TWW2 ME you'd have a fantastic game right off the bat even without adding in new races. I also don't really mind settlement battles, but it is annoying that they're basically mandatory since the AI will spend all it's time in forced march one pixel away from you if you're not setting up ambushes.

But yeah, my concern for the longevity of this iteration isn't about the game having a flawed launch, but about CA making decisions that go against lessons they should have already learned. The devs came out and said they wanted to deincentivize trait hunting so they made defeat traits worse, when that was an interesting part of the game in ME. They heard people complain about and ignore the Vortex, and they put out a game mode that exacerbates those issues. Bad tech trees and non-sensical lord skill progression that feels about on par with the state of TWW1 just show that they're actively ignoring the player base that has been paying them for years, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to believe that they'll suddenly start learning in the future. Everyone keeps citing the fact that TWW2 was great after five years of DLC and updates, but the same logic should carry over to the fact that TWW3 was released after all of the things that made TWW2 good, and somehow didn't retain any of it.

A big part of this is the fact that Thrones of Brittania, 3K, and Troy were all released in between Warhammer titles, and CA can go back to cranking out historical titles without paying GW licensing fees whenever they decide to stop supporting TWW3. Even if TWW3 had no bugs, there is an insane amount of work needed to bring the gameplay back to the interesting level that TWW2 reached, and at some point they're going to have to pick between spending resources on development of further DLC and balance patches for existing content that they won't get paid for. That post they put out on Thursday about how we're a month out from a bugfix and ??? from a gameplay patch or mod support should be pretty concerning, this clearly isn't getting the attention TWW2 got with mods out from close to the beginning.

Remember that we're still in some version of pandemic-world, so things might just be slower and less smooth than it once was. I would not look at the difference in timing and immediately think "oh no CA's dumping this game"; they've publicly stated multiple times that WH3 will have a long post-release development tail. And it certainly isn't a money issue, they've made plenty from the WH series. The licensing fees are probably not that expensive either - GW has a lot of incentive to keep TW:WH alive and well as they start working on The Old World. CA has more-or-less reinvigorated the entire fantasy line singlehandedly, both sides are profiting and want to keep it going.

It's also very much an overstatement to say "TWW3 was released after all of the things that made TWW2 good, and somehow didn't retain any of it". Can you truthfully say nothing of what made WH2 good is here? Personally, I'm having a pretty good time shooting Chaos in the face and that feels very much like something WH2 was good at. Open field battles generally are fun (especially in MP); sieges are generally worth auto-resolving (which isn't any different from WH2, and at least the maps are usually more interesting in the cases I *do* need to fight it out). Magic feels pretty good. The voice lines are delightfully campy yet well-acted, the in-battle soundscape is amazing, the visuals are at a pretty insane standard for a strategy game... the overall aesthetic feel of the game is still very much in-line with the previous titles in the series (UI color change notwithstanding).

Seriously, I'm not just trying to be a 100% stan for CA here but the echo chamber between SA, the official forums, and reddit is getting pretty ridiculous. The game isn't perfect but neither was WH2. People had a pretty long list of complaints for that game, even at the end. Has that list gotten longer? Sure, but we've also got a ton of new toys in exchange and that's a pretty fair deal... considering that WH2 is still playable. Anecdotally I would claim that most people aren't complaining unless they have 30+ hours in, and they aren't seriously considering quitting until they have 60+... both of which are pretty good metrics at release. Getting longer playtimes than that requires either lightning in a bottle, a lack of competition, or a dedication to post-release improvement. No dev can ever guarantee the first, a sequel by definition won't have the second, but CA's track record for this title would seem to indicate that we're going to get the third. People need to chill out a bit and accept they mostly enjoyed the game's initial offering without wanting to keep diving in for three dozen more campaign runs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

orangelex44 posted:

All the stuff I bolded already existed in WH2. Maybe to a lesser degree, but only after literal years of tweaks driven from player feedback. Given the breadth of what's been added, and that to a significant degree all the new stuff was done independent of the existing game, I don't think things are in that bad of shape. The battle mechanics being wonky is annoying, but I can understand how it happened: someone messed up in the process of simultaneously branching off WH3 and while merging Three Kingdom tweaks and WH2 tweaks, then nobody really caught it because the battles still work, they're still fun for the <50 hour crowd, and many of them aren't that obvious until someone else points them out to you.

Boris and Belakor probably are relatively late addons but I also expect that the people doing them didn't have any other things to do, for the same reason that Warriors of Chaos were made and released. Would you rather not have had them at all?

As for not working on bugs for two months, I don't understand what makes you think that? Yes, CA has triaged the identified problems and have set up priorities, but that's very different from ignoring anything. And yes, the game is a multi-platform release from a major gaming company so they can't turn around patches at the same pace that a solo indie dev on Steam can.

Most of all: WH2 still exists. Right now, WH3 is essentially an optional expansion pack for the larger TW:WH "game". In half a year once WH2 support has been cut off entirely it's a different story, but right now the only thing "forcing" people to play WH3 over 2 is fear of missing out. As I said more than a year ago: the floor of WH3 was to be an underpriced expansion pack on WH2, which in my mind was a totally reasonable thing to pre-order.
I have no idea what to say to you. You're telling me that there is a campaign in WH2? Like thats news to me? The problem with game 3 is that the main campaign sucks and you're telling me that WH2 has a campaign too? Or that it sucks too? Because it sucks worse in WH3. Which is my point. Same with tech trees, which are mostly fine in WH2; in WH3 they are putrid. Same with econ balance, ect. I paid $60 for a game and its not that its older version is better in every way (because its not), its that when I pay for something, I expect it to not suck in every way imaginable. Yes, WH2 had years of iteration, but do you know what that means? It means CA should have loving learned something about designing new factions. Instead we get super dumb poo poo like 5% missile resist on chaff cav, a whopping 7% charge bonus to the two whole Ogre cav units, and econ buildings that take like 60 turns to pay themselves off.

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, the tech trees are generally pretty bad. "Here's a minor buff to one specific unit that you stopped using 50 turns ago, but this is like the last tech in the loving tree! It takes 8 turns to research!" or "Here's +5 growth! It takes 12 turns to research!"

There's some good techs, but most of it is terrible, filler bullshit that provides nothing of appreciable value for the time invested.
No see according to orangelex this is a problem in WH2, too, so we're not allowed to complain about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 6, 2022

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I swear the tech trees for races in TWW2 kind of sucked at the beginning as well didn't they? It feels like they roll in cautious on each release with +1/-1 modifiers to crap you won't ever notice.

I've got about 50 hours of playtime in this now which has been alright. It's a poor view but I've probably had more fun than day 1 releases of previous Total Wars. Usually they've always been a poo poo show for me.

Tightening up the gameplay and making the chaos stuff less aggravating would be gravy. I love the rifts and get all kinds of field battles of various races and with more dlc I'm sure that will boost the variety even more.
I'd like to customise my caravans as Cathay more and be able to do more to protect the route other than just rolling down and claiming a stack of useless settlements. The caravan battles you score are sweet and pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Did they? Because I'll take the Cathay tech tree over the Lizardman one and I have no memory of the High Elf tech tree at all.
They weren't particularly powerful, but I liked the techs gated behind resource acquisition. That was the only interesting or memorable thing about the HE tree.