Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Swerve is the man, it’d be a great signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Ain't Nobody" or we riot

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Swerve is loving great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They really do need more TV at this point

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hell yeah Swerve To the Top

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

Wrestling Observer noted last week,that Swerve was expected to come to AEW, but later noted it wasn't made clear if Strickland is AEW bound, and said "there's a very chance he's coming in."

A very chance. :hmmyes:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

They really do need more TV at this point

they probably won't after all of the contracts they aren't going to extend run out

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Orange Carlisle posted:

they probably won't after all of the contracts they aren't going to extend run out
Is that really going to clear up that much TV time? In terms of Dynamite/Rampage, here's how many matches everyone on the men's official roster page have had since Full Gear:

12 Matches: Adam Cole
10 Matches: Wardlow
9 Matches: Sammy Guevara
8 Matches: Anthony Bowens, Bryan Danielson, Jungle Boy, Orange Cassidy
7 Matches: Cash Wheeler, CM Punk, Daniel Garcia, Dax Harwood, Luchasaurus, Penta, Trent?
6 Matches: Darby Allin, Isiah Kassidy, Jeff Parker, Malakai Black, Matt Lee, Max Caster, Ortiz, Santana
5 Matches: Bobby Fish, Dante Martin, Hook, MJF, Nick Jackson, Rey Fenix
4 Matches: Colten Gunn, Eddie Kingston, Jon Moxley, Matt Jackson, Matt Sydal, PAC, Ricky Starks
3 Matches: Adam Page, Andrade, Brian Pillman Jr., Brody King, Chuck Taylor, Griff Garrison, John Silver, Lee Moriarity, Marq Quen, Matt Hardy, Powerhouse Hobbs, Sting, The Blade
2 Matches: Alex Reynolds, Austin Gunn, Billy Gunn. Chris Jericho, Ethan Page, Evil Uno, Frankie Kazarian, Kyle O'Reilly. Lance Archer, Lee Johnson, Pres10 Vance, Shawn Spears, The Butcher
1 Match: Aaron Solo, Alan Angels, Brock Anderson, Christian Cage, Colt Cabana, Dustin Rhodes, Fuego del Sol, Jake Hager, Jay Lethal, Keith Lee, Nick Comoroto, QT Marshall, Shawn Dean, Tony Nese
0 Matches: Angelico, Anthony Ogogo, Brandon Cutler, Brian Cage, Buddy Matthews, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Christopher Daniels, Danhausen, Darius Martin, Jack Evans, Joey Janela, Kenny Omega, Kip Sabian, Luther, Mark Henry, Marko Stunt, Michael Nakazawa, Miro, Paul Wight, Peter Avalon, Scorpio Sky, Serpentico, Sonny Kiss, Stu Grayson

Some of the people in the lower tier are only there because of injuries/newness of contracts, but in terms of "freeing up TV time" who do you see leaving/getting cut to open it up?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

you put effort into putting that list together and you're probably right so without me having the willpower to drum up something to dispute it I'm just going to say well done and you're likely correct

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Boiling everything down to a list of matches kinda removes the context of what the people are doing, to be fair. Like Christ Jericho has had 2 televised matches in 2022 but you can't really say he's not doing anything.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Boiling everything down to a list of matches kinda removes the context of what the people are doing, to be fair. Like Christ Jericho has had 2 televised matches in 2022 but you can't really say he's not doing anything.

that just reinforces the point, though, right? all of those dudes on top of that list are also getting time for promos and segments relevant to their story, and none of them seem to be going anywhere soon. combine that with the what, half dozen high profile signings AEW has made/is making and where's the extra tv time come for those folks?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of movement towards stables with the people who are kind of floating, especially with the danielson/mox stuff happening. presumably after next week's ppv we'll also see how things are going

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My point (which got carried away by looking things up sorry if that is stupid and/or uncool) is that if AEW could opt not to renew the contracts of all of the dozen or two people who people are convinced they're going to release (Marko, Janela, Kazarian, Men of the Year, Chaos Project, Jake Hager, Colt Cabana, half of the Dark Order, half of the Nightmare Factory, Hybrid 2] and it would "open up" a vanishingly small amount of actual TV time.

Like I said, the list is misleading when you have Moxley/Kingston/Jericho/Omega/etc. so low on the list since they were out, plus all of those people get a lot of interview time that doesn't count towards match counts. But that's not going to be solved by roster cuts/non-renewals, unless there is like a separate contract for "CM Punk cuts babyface promo to city" that is up for renegotiation.

This is also entirely separate from whether or not they SHOULD or if I would personally rather see like a fifteen minute Uno/Grayson vs. Butcher & Blade match instead of "CM Punk cuts babyface promo to city" segment, I absolutely would. But not renewing Frankie Kazarian's contract is not likely to fix that.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 27, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, I don't think anybody who's getting TV time is in jeopardy of 1) wanting to leave or 2) being asked to leave. I loathe the typical "this isn't WWE" answer to legitimate concerns but this is one of like three times it's actually relevant; how much TV shows they do or don't need isn't really dependent on the people whose contracts are about to be done who haven't been used on any of the shows they already have

Sonny Kiss rules, I'd like to see them stay and get paid but I'd also like to see them get to work and I don't think whatever occurs with that will have anything to do with a possible third TV show or third Youtube show that may already also be planned. As we see with Buddy just signed and Swerve and Jeff Hardy coming soon, talent's going to keep coming regardless

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
cage reportedly having his contract renewed for a year (unless he's entirely bullshitting about it) seems to me to imply that few contracts are going to expire without the talent having good reasons to move on

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
A lot of people were dead certain Peter Avalon was gone and then he just, kept appearing so things aren't really as simple as "People who aren't on TV every week are in constant peril of being cut"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, it almost as if AEW isn't beholden to juicing their numbers with mass firings.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

AEW wrestlers can still work elsewhere while under contract. I think that'll make it so less people are not renewed.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Swerve said something along the lines of “see you in AEW” to Nick Wayne after their DEFY match last night so I am definitely expecting to see him pop up on my TV sooner than later.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Drakkel posted:

A lot of people were dead certain Peter Avalon was gone and then he just, kept appearing so things aren't really as simple as "People who aren't on TV every week are in constant peril of being cut"

Yeah, TH2 are also still employed as per Universal taping spoilers. Evans had a match, and he had Angelico and Jora with him, so I guess they're still with AHFO too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, TH2 are also still employed as per Universal taping spoilers. Evans had a match, and he had Angelico and Jora with him, so I guess they're still with AHFO too.

Angelico has been off TV due to an injury but from videos he's posted seems largely recovered.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/mrjacobcohen/status/1499174785020043266?s=21

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Hell yeah was just wondering about her.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

YESSSSSSS

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MrJacobCohen/status/1499180662967971845

there's stat

when was the last time emi had a singles match

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Vertical Lime posted:

when was the last time emi had a singles match

She does a bunch of Dark squashes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

there is a universal dark taping tonight

nothing really of note except maybe the young bucks were in action

and sesson moth martina had another match

e:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingCovers/status/1499577317454139404

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Blake Christian got a win and Josh Woods, current ROH Pure Champion, got a win and post match promo time from the Dark tapings. They were also recording crowd audio for the AEW game so no idea how far in dev cycle that would be for the AEW game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Booth recorded audio comes way late in a Dev cycle but incidental / foley noise, who knows

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more dark tonight

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1499931445032271874

would love to see him pop up during her match on sunday

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jeff Hardy, just signed by AEW, will be at Dynamite Wednesday per Fightful

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also per Fightful, Swerve is signed and can appear as soon as Revolution

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

no news on claudio?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/KhalafSammy/status/1500191921737801736

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I kind of want to see the House of Black sitting down and giving Danhausen a job interview. Just play it completely straight. Maybe Brody King, wearing reading glasses obviously, would write in a little notebook while saying "interesting..."

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

He must prove himself in swordplay, thievery, and, er, treasure huntery.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Impact Wrestling tapings from yesterday:

-Raj Singh defeated Omar Amir
-Jordynne Grace defeated Havok
-Karl Anderson defeated Deaner in match taped for BTI. Afterward, the Good Brothers demanded a rematch with Violent By Design for the tag titles. Santino was on commentary for this and the previous two bouts.
-Josh Alexander did a promo and was interrupted by Honor No More who then attacked him. Team Impact ran out to make the save.
-Willie Mack defeated Kenny King with Team Impact and Honor No More banned from ringside.
-Ace Austin defeated John Skyler and Crazy Steve in a three-way qualifying match for a shot at X-Division Champion Trey Miguel at Rebellion.
-Mickie James, Chelsea Green and The IInspiration defeated Knockouts Tag Team Champions The Influence, Knockouts Champion Tasha Steelz and Savannah Evans
-Jay White called out Alex Shelley for a Too Sweet moment. The two went back and forth until Chris Sabin joined Shelley on the ramp which led to a tag team match of MCMG vs White and Chris Bey later.
-Eddie Edwards defeated Rich Swann
-Steve Maclin defeated Rhino
-Bhupinder Guijar defeated Larry D. After the match, W. Morrissey went after Brian Myers at ringside but Guijar threw Raj Singh at Morrissey which led to more issues.
-ROH Women's Champion and AAA Reina de Reinas Champion Deonna Purrazzo defeated Gisele Shaw and Lady Frost in a three-way Champ Champ challenge
-JONAH defeated Zicky Dice. After the match, PCO came out on a stretcher, sat up, and had a pull-apart brawl with JONAH.
-Masha Slamovich defeated Arie Alexander
-The Motor City Machine Guns defeated Jay White and Chris Bey
-Josh Alexander defeated Matt Taven

MCMG/Bullet Club sounds rad, ngl

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, there was no way they weren't reforming Motor City Machine Guns once they got Shelley back. They were namedropping them all over his match with Jay at Sacrifice.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, I know it was going to happen, just pointing out that it sounds like a killer match.

It’s kind of crazy how the Motor City Machine Guns and the Good Brothers have never shared the same ring, and I imagine that that gets rectified at Rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rampage

Darby Allin defeats Marq Quen. Postmatch the Andrade Family Office stares down Darby, Sting and the Hardys
Jamie Hayter defeats Mercedes Martinez. Postmatch Hayter and Rebel attack Mercedes but Thunder Rosa makes the save
Keith Lee defeats QT Marshall. Postmatch Aaron Solo, Nick Comorato, Powerhouse Hobbs and Ricky Starks attack Keith
Swerve Strickland defeats Tony Nese