Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dang, today was the first day I could play after the last few patches, and getting worse performance now than at launch. Boo.

Yeah I've been getting really irritating framerate hitches all day long whenever I try to play. I know there's a bunch of people who will go :razz: I don't have gamer eyes :razz: but it's like trying to listen to a song but there are randomly interposed 1/8-of-a-beat sound skips so you're just bracing for the next sound skip instead of enjoying the music.

I hope they fix this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We see what Marika looks like in game though, so thats reading a lot into the painting, I think. Said bosses title is also naturalborn which would make sense if he is born outside the erdtrees direction/order

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I’m trying to fight the Crucible Knight the right way, by parrying him… my understanding is that if I don’t learn to parry this guy I’m going to be in big trouble later on in the game. My problem is… I can’t get this timing down at all!! It feels like it’s random whenever I do parry him, I’m trying to do it right when their attack would hit me but it’s not working

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sorta related: if you see a bunch of gold leaves drifting all over the place you get more souls echoes runes from anything you kill

also, it just looks cool as hell

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I’m trying to fight the Crucible Knight the right way, by parrying him… my understanding is that if I don’t learn to parry this guy I’m going to be in big trouble later on in the game. My problem is… I can’t get this timing down at all!! It feels like it’s random whenever I do parry him, I’m trying to do it right when their attack would hit me but it’s not working

Whoever told you you need to learn to parry is a goddamn liar.

Also only attacks where the enemy makes contact with you physically (i.e. sword to face) and are non jumping seem to be parryable.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
so weird thing just happened... i fast traveled back to the Roundtable Hold and i spawned in red like i was invading, and had to fight some dude(also red) who had magic and daggers. i beat him, and then was loaded into the Hold like nothing happened, along with an item i can't remember the name of. w... why did that happen??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

psychoJ posted:

so weird thing just happened... i fast traveled back to the Roundtable Hold and i spawned in red like i was invading, and had to fight some dude(also red) who had magic and daggers. i beat him, and then was loaded into the Hold like nothing happened, along with an item i can't remember the name of. w... why did that happen??

Talk to Gideon

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

psychoJ posted:

I'm not sure what triggers this but remember that edgy dude that was standing outside Ofnir's library? His name is Ensha and he is the one attacking you. After you defeat him, if you go to the location where he used to stand you can get his gear and Ofnir will offer an explanation, such as it is

As an INT magic user, how should I be dealing with crystalline mini-bosses? They are a pain in my rear end.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Ahh got it, thanks y'all

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pollyanna posted:

I need to do more damage for Loretta. I've got an Astrologer's Staff+5. Are there any better weapons for sorcery out there?

Yeah the Meteorite Staff is equivalent to like a +20 normal staff or +6-7 somberstone staff. It's pretty OP.

Penitent posted:

As an INT magic user, how should I be dealing with crystalline mini-bosses? They are a pain in my rear end.

Hit them with a bunch of jump R2s with the melee weapon of your choice, until you hear the armor shattering noise. Even a +0 weapon can do the job, you don't care about damage here. Then, after the armor break, their damage resistance is gone and you can nuke or pewpew them however you please.

Strike damage is best for this so a non-magic-infused mace should so the job great. Maybe rock throw can break their armor and chump them too, since it's physical and has high stance damage?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 6, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

Whoever told you you need to learn to parry is a goddamn liar.

yeah, seriously, lol

parrying in the from titles that've hewed most closely to DS1 has become more and more vestigial over time, and it's practically useless in elden ring both with how absurd combo chaining is getting and how many ways there are to absolutely explode things that have much better risk-reward ratios

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nice, beat godrick then beat the thing harder than godrick down in the basement. gently caress that thing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Penitent posted:

I'm not sure what triggers this but remember that edgy dude that was standing outside Ofnir's library? His name is Ensha and he is the one attacking you. After you defeat him, if you go to the location where he used to stand you can get his gear and Ofnir will offer an explanation, such as it is

Find an opening to use a charged heavy attack to stagger them and then do a critical hit, and they'll start taking normal damage. Or find a strike weapon.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm a simple man. I see a sign that says "seek hole" in front of a bottomless pit, I applaud the sign and jump right in the fuckin hole

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
me: oh hell yeah, this blasphemous blade is sick, so glad I can finally use this. I'm gonna go into that random cave I missed and kill me a boss with it!

elden ring: lol. lmao. have a magma wyrm.

as a sidenote: holy poo poo, that's where you find the moonveil katana? on a giant dragon?? it's not from Raya Lucaria?? What the crap. Granted, I can't use it myself, because Faith Build, but now I know where to beeline if I want to make an absurd caster monster character.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I found a sleeping dragon. What do I do with this guy? Seems to have infinite HP but also stays asleep. I assume there's a reward if I manage to murder it?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Artelier posted:

I found a sleeping dragon. What do I do with this guy? Seems to have infinite HP but also stays asleep. I assume there's a reward if I manage to murder it?

Go behind it, beat its tail with a bleed weapon, it'll take a few minutes. Get's you 80k souls and 5 dragon hearts. It's just there to be a thing to kill, don't think it's tied to a quest.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

it would be cool if instead of having to upgrade each weapon you could just upgrade weapon types or even all weapons or lock in a minimum level when you get to 5/10/15/etc if they dont want to go the Sekiro route. then I’d switch weapons a lot more.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Artelier posted:

There is indeed a nice reward. The intended method is Killing all the baby dragons around him, since he takes huge chunk of damage whenever one dies. The cheese strat that almost everyone seems to use is just finding a good spot where the other dragons can't see/reach you and whacking his tail/foot with a bleed weapon for 3 minutes, since bleed procs do % max hp damage. This is also a pretty funny way to level up fast if you're rolling a new character for pvp or something since you can do it at level 1 with any random bleed weapon looted from the open world, like the morningstar.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Huh.. I thought the idea was that the crucible knight appears multiple times throughout the game, and in these other situations it’s much tougher to beat them unless you parry them a ton. Well whatever, I beat this one the old fashioned way (dodging and throwing incantations when possible)!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

is it a bad idea to just pump STR alone, forever?

theoretically I'm going for a STR/FAI thing but I keep just dumping runes into STR because :black101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Huh.. I thought the idea was that the crucible knight appears multiple times throughout the game, and in these other situations it’s much tougher to beat them unless you parry them a ton. Well whatever, I beat this one the old fashioned way (dodging and throwing incantations when possible)!

They do, but like, parrying is completely unecessary and crucible knights are always always optional. None are loadbearing

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I have barely ever parried crucible knights, instead I bait out their shield bash or their two-handed stance and punish

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

parrying is great and being skilled at it means you can bypass a lot of bullshit that would otherwise be a pain but if you're gonna do it i recommend fully committing and using the buckler, parrying with pretty much anything else feels awful in this to me.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I know people have mentioned this already but holy poo poo Hoarfrost Stomp. I had that one iceaxe but hadn't bothered upgrading it. It was good but not that impressive. Then I got the Ash version so I popped that sucker onto my Uchi which is upgraded up to my level and the damage is absolutely unreal, huge aoe, you can spam it really quickly and it costs almost no FP. The cherry on top is that it also slows anything that survives.

Parrying them is an "easy" way to kill them if you're underleveled and can't take even a single hit. I definitely parry scammed my way through a couple of crucible knights, if you stay far away from them you can bait their sliding stab which is relatively easy to parry.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I have barely ever parried crucible knights, instead I bait out their shield bash or their two-handed stance and punish

that's the way to go

i've posted about it a couple times already but the shield slam will miss 100% of the time if you strafe around to their shield side when you see it coming out, so you can easily get a fully charged r2 off

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
still cannot believe people aren't singing the praises of carian piercer up and down

this thing does so much poise damage charged it's insane. speaking of crucible knights, how would you like to poisebreak them in one attack lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

still cannot believe people aren't singing the praises of carian piercer up and down

this thing does so much poise damage charged it's insane. speaking of crucible knights, how would you like to poisebreak them in one attack lol

there's apparently a physick tear that boosts poise damage, i bet you could one hit stagger a ton of stuff if the bonus is halfway decent

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

there's apparently a physick tear that boosts poise damage, i bet you could one hit stagger a ton of stuff if the bonus is halfway decent

That tear also says it's only effective for a short duration, sadly, otherwise I would be running it all the time alongside the magic damage boosting one (which is a whopping 20% damage increase from my testing, and lasts like 5 minutes).

As it is I haven't actually tried it out at all so I have no idea how long the "short duration" is.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

PYF Radahn tips

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I have defeated the full grown fallingstar beast without player or ashes summons. I do not want to comment on the length of time it took. A combination of hitting it with a scythe and throwing lightning. I am level 58, I don’t know if I was supposed to do it later or something. Jesus Christ.

I can’t even use the weapon it dropped. Why am I too prideful for summons.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Radahn tip: Rot Breath, run away until it wears off, Rot Breath again, run away until he dies

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Killed malenia. Immediately decided I wanted to try out an actual physical attacking build after 60 hours so I'm all dex vig end and mind now. Her dumb sword is fun. Also decided to try using perfumes and they aren't terrible but it actually kind of sucks needing to farm materials to keep a supply every time I use some in coop or invasions . You don't get them back when it ends

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Caria manor gives me the creeps like no videogame ever, didn't even know i had this phobia

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
get right the gently caress up next to him and strafe around him if you can. some of his attacks will entirely miss and be free damage chances

also use bleed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Valdent posted:

Killed malenia. Immediately decided I wanted to try out an actual physical attacking build after 60 hours so I'm all dex vig end and mind now. Her dumb sword is fun. Also decided to try using perfumes and they aren't terrible but it actually kind of sucks needing to farm materials to keep a supply every time I use some in coop or invasions . You don't get them back when it ends

it infuriates me that the game where they finally added solid support for offensive consumable builds is also the one with horseshit open world material gathering

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Summon all the mooks and go nuts on his flank.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

blood slash

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tickle his balls. get right up in that taint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Game: Complete. Level 122, Strength focus char. Boss before last boss because its a boss > boss transition, no bonfire was more annoying that last boss.

Looking forward to lore discussions down the road. Setting is great, really liked that aspect. Only enjoyed like ~5 bosses total. The amount of filler, repeated bosses, and stupid duo fights was grating. Will prob gently caress around with NG+ but dont expect to go far in it. DS1 was still the best overall imo. Open world is going to remain a divisive subject I think, but I personally could have done without.

Bleck posted:

Summon all the mooks and go nuts on his flank.

Yeah, this. Just keep resummoning em, they will chip away at him slowly but surely. Fight may take 20 mins, but stay alive long enough and he wont.