Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I found a quest that started at "Three Sisters" From the witch, which sent me to the well below Limgrave - I explored that area, lit a bunch of torchers and fought a deer - but I can't find anywhere else to go down there - I can tell there's another section to the map down there, but I can only assume there's more ways down here, but I thought the quest specifically directed me towards the Limgrave entry by the minor eldtree.

Have I overlooked something / missed something, or do I just need to explore elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

AndrewP posted:

is it a bad idea to just pump STR alone, forever?

theoretically I'm going for a STR/FAI thing but I keep just dumping runes into STR because :black101:

There is a seal that scales off of faith and strength and it is pretty good. You get it for trading in death blooms to the beast priest.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

So I found a quest that started at "Three Sisters" From the witch, which sent me to the well below Limgrave - I explored that area, lit a bunch of torchers and fought a deer - but I can't find anywhere else to go down there - I can tell there's another section to the map down there, but I can only assume there's more ways down here, but I thought the quest specifically directed me towards the Limgrave entry by the minor eldtree.

Have I overlooked something / missed something, or do I just need to explore elsewhere?

Find blaidd down there and talk to him

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AndrewP posted:

is it a bad idea to just pump STR alone, forever?

theoretically I'm going for a STR/FAI thing but I keep just dumping runes into STR because :black101:

I highly suggest some vigor and endurance but I've spent most of my time just pumping str and your damage gets bonkers. Poise in this game is nice, so balancing enough armor and HP to not get one shot by whatever it is you're dealing with while tanking small hits to not get knocked out of your attacks means you can just one shot most things without fear of stunlock.

Not really related, but on the talisman front: I've been using one found in Caelid the Soreseal and I'm really seeing no downside to it since it's benefits almost entirely make up for its negative.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm completely new to souls games and just tried to approach the Stormveil Castle entrance, i'm only at level 17, should I keep grinding and leveling up before trying to go up there? Still not sure where runes are best spent, vigor, endurance or strength. I'm at 20 vigor, but feel like that's probably still my biggest limitation?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkCr7xCQkfM

Trying to get used to fighting with no shield on my Arcane build.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I highly suggest some vigor and endurance but I've spent most of my time just pumping str and your damage gets bonkers. Poise in this game is nice, so balancing enough armor and HP to not get one shot by whatever it is you're dealing with while tanking small hits to not get knocked out of your attacks means you can just one shot most things without fear of stunlock.

Not really related, but on the talisman front: I've been using one found in Caelid the Soreseal and I'm really seeing no downside to it since it's benefits almost entirely make up for its negative.

Was told earlier (and now I agree having used it more) that the big issue lategame is the big whopper attacks that you die after eating 2, or at most 3 of. This talisman often makes those 3 hits into 2 hits. Its a big risk, and one you're better off avoiding imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
got all three imbued sword keys and took a walking tour through the belfries

first belfry: got splattered by furious knight, went home
second belfry: vindication.avi
third belfry: what in christ's name is this

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, i just noticed the game makes the audio quieter when you stealth

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah I've been getting really irritating framerate hitches all day long whenever I try to play. I know there's a bunch of people who will go :razz: I don't have gamer eyes :razz: but it's like trying to listen to a song but there are randomly interposed 1/8-of-a-beat sound skips so you're just bracing for the next sound skip instead of enjoying the music.

I hope they fix this soon.

ISLC.exe to clean up your memory and tweak performance a tiny bit, plus closing everything in the background. I do those two things only and get a smooth (55-60 overworld, 60 capped in all dungeons) experience on a 7600k, 16GB relatively slow RAM and a GTX 970. Most people run faster/newer stuff.

Aside from that just core unparking/high performance plans and MSI mode for most devices as sort of bog-standard performance tweaks.

To be fair, for other games I don't really consider 60 frames acceptable, but it's long since been a thing that this is simply what Souls-likes do and so I deal with it. Its the only thing I play with a controller anyway, so the more sluggish inputs don't feel so bad because they match closely with what controllers feel like even on most modern consoles, since titles still like to cap at 60 (and people use horrifically slow TVs to game on for some reason).

If you need links for any of this let me know, but I feel like the internet is replete with instructions on how to do the above.

Edit: Running the controller at 1000 Hz wired for consistency and shaving off another 10 ms is nice too. Can't say I notice it too much largely because a 60 frame game isn't that insanely responsive that you would feel that readily, but what the hell.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

enemies that you can completely knock on their rear end with carian piercer includes: these big idiots

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Starting to think whoever made these death chariots doesn’t want me raiding these tombs. :thunk:

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Posting too much rn, but what the hell:

Dandywalken posted:

Was told earlier (and now I agree having used it more) that the big issue lategame is the big whopper attacks that you die after eating 2, or at most 3 of. This talisman often makes those 3 hits into 2 hits. Its a big risk, and one you're better off avoiding imo.

You can squeeze out a lot of the seals by restatting such that those things that you mean-stat or soft-cap only hit it with the seal, leaving more juice to pump other things - including as much armor as you like and still have mid rolls (or fast rolls with the fat jugz talisman + vykes lightning blade). I haven't crunched the numbers, but I'm pretty confident if you min/max like that you beat out the substantial absorption penalty regardless.

If however several of those stats are just going past the softcap and you're effectively getting half the levels out of it, maybe not so much.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there any easy way to deal with skeleton-filled catacombs? I'm a purely INT build and switching back and forth between the staff and a trash sword to final-blow the skeleton spirits is irritating.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats a valid point. If you nail soft caps with it, that is prob a good use-case. I never thought about it, but you def will want the appropriate defensive talismans for your area in that case. Then again, thats probably always true!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Dandywalken posted:

It's also 10-20 levels worth of stats that count towards prereqs. 10 levels worth of pure Vig would go a very long way towards the 'extra hit' buffer.

I haven't respec'd out of the stats that I have overshot by a considerable amount (yet), but maybe I should, then I can pump my offense to truly stupid levels by getting rid of the extra points I'm not using.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dandywalken posted:

You get the equivalent of 20 soul levels out of it and you only take like 10% more damage in return, which is half made up for the boost in vigor and endurance it gives imo. If I was more fragile I can see why I wouldn't want it I guess, but also if I was more fragile I'd be getting one shot by enemies in caelid anyway. This game really, really, wants you to put points into vigor.

Of course if it was the magical equivalent I can see how it would be far less useful. But I also haven't played a wizard in this game yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any easy way to deal with skeleton-filled catacombs? I'm a purely INT build and switching back and forth between the staff and a trash sword to final-blow the skeleton spirits is irritating.

Put a sword in your other hand

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I feel like endurance pumping is a little better than previous titles. You can get a surprising amount of resistances and poise while still staying light!

I've got my Uchigatana to +11 I think? Spent most of the day hunting down Smithing Stone [3] & [4]. I do wish they were a little more bountiful before they become unlimited

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I finally started stormveil castle and ngl, I hate it. It was fun at first but I really am not liking it since I’m on what feels like my fiftieth room with clanking knights who stagger murder you if you get clipped once inside, a swarm of razor birds outside and some dude with a torch. I’ve picked up enough items I can’t navigate to new places by them every time I respawn and they all look very similar, I have to fight my way allll the way back through the same mobs over and over cause I haven’t reached another grace, and god help me if three birds ambush, knock me into a wall and then keep stabbing me. And I’ve burnt up all my arrows of every type. I don’t mind dying to learn a boss a bunch, but I haven’t even found it. I’ve been in zones where I was getting one shot constantly (river i am looking at you) but they were fun to navigate. Might look up a guide just to getting to the boss in the quickest route now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

coolusername posted:

I finally started stormveil castle and ngl, I hate it. It was fun at first but I really am not liking it since I’m on what feels like my fiftieth room with clanking knights who stagger murder you if you get clipped once inside, a swarm of razor birds outside and some dude with a torch. I’ve picked up enough items I can’t navigate to new places by them every time I respawn and they all look very similar, I have to fight my way allll the way back through the same mobs over and over cause I haven’t reached another grace, and god help me if three birds ambush, knock me into a wall and then keep stabbing me. And I’ve burnt up all my arrows of every type. I don’t mind dying to learn a boss a bunch, but I haven’t even found it. I’ve been in zones where I was getting one shot constantly (river i am looking at you) but they were fun to navigate. Might look up a guide just to getting to the boss in the quickest route now.

Drop your summon sign and let other people summon you. That's the best way to learn new areas and routes through them imo, you don't have to put your own runes at risk and you can be as aggressive as you want

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

coolusername posted:

I finally got around to killing the guy past margit and both birds WILL often chase you all the way to the boss fog door if you try to sprint past them and The giant, who sometimes remembers he has a ranged shout attack to stagger you then let birds carve your health bar in half

This reminds me: Reasons I like the pike (if not as much as I like knight greatsword or "I thought it would stagger more?" large club). So long the guard counter animation does not miss rats because they are too small, and will usually nail the hit against birds.

Reasons I still hate birds: They will poise through the pike guard counter hit to breath fire anyways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Section Z posted:

I finally got around to killing the guy past margit and both birds WILL often chase you all the way to the boss fog door if you try to sprint past them and The giant, who sometimes remembers he has a ranged shout attack to stagger you then let birds carve your health bar in half

Theres a save point right by Godrick's door? Like its directly in front

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I took my first run at Margit and it wasn't too bad but I ate poo poo and decided to spend some time getting smithing stones to level up my weapons cause I figured out his actual safe attack windows are tiny and it feels like I'm basically chipping away at a mountain so to speak. I dunno why this game is clicking for me so much more than bloodborne or dark souls did but im loving it a lot

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also speaking of crazy lore poo poo whose meaning i can only make an educated guess about

this is what Queen Marika looks like per the portrait in Fia's room. not gonna spoil it since you can see it as soon as you reach the hub area

note the golden light spreading out behind her that at first glance looks like it might be the Erdtree, but is also shaped like insect wings and her single floor-length braid

and this is what Astel, Naturalborn of the Void looks like

note the insect wings and the body-length braid, and the human skull and hands on what is otherwise an unimaginably alien being. note also his similarity to the Elden Beast, except that the Beast has no human features. now consider the implications of Astel's boss weapon being called "the Bastard's Stars"

That's pretty good poo poo! Nice catch man

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Not loving Stormveil castle overall.

The big problem with a lot of the traversal/verticality is you have to take major risks in jumping just to get at some random object, the consequences being way more severe then most action platforming games. To make it worse missing one ladder and you basically miss 1/3 of the content without realizing it. These massive locations need their own separate map or something more detailed then just the same space in the existing overworld.

I went in at level 58 with a +14 Lordsworn SS so everything pretty much died in a few hits, not really a combat challenge unless I got stupid, and I can't imagine having to treat every single banished knight like a mini-boss. There's a big gap between being able to handle the bosses enemies effectively and just the sheer grind of having to get through all the trash mobs in the same place.

Also discovered an enemy that is giving me way more trouble then fighting even a freaking dragon the giant spider hands in Caria Manor

So, after beating Stormveil, you get the breadcrumbs of where to go next, and of them only a single one seem feasible at the level you'd be at even with a lot of grinding. I've been to all the map areas and unless I'm still pretty low level damage dealing wise it seems like most of those areas are gonna need me to do 2x more damage somehow to get through.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 6, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
margit has a huge pile of HP relative to anything else in the region besides godrik himself. it all but guarantees that, if you’re fighting him early, you’ll slip up one time too many

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Theres a save point right by Godrick's door? Like its directly in front

:doh: I guess I was always so distracted by the birds chasing me and/or other enemies spamming attacks into the hallway I never noticed that particular one, and was making the short sprint from the lift room favoring "Into the boss room gogogo" *birds slashing blades through my invulnerable body*

How does an idiot like me ever make it through any Fromsoft game, yeesh.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 6, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

you can also skip the giant, there is a shortcut to the left

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I heard so much bad poo poo about Margit, and avoided him forever, but finally went to him at level 65 with my Paladin build after I got the Tree Sentinel's weapon up to +2, he was trivial with the basic Wolf spirit help, got him on my first try. And I SUCK at Souls games. Everyone complaining about this idiot and you just have to take your time and level up (train up at the boulder school) and he's nothin. LMAO I can't believe how much I love this game, I've always hated Souls and their likes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

AcidCat posted:

I can't believe how much I love this game, I've always hated Souls and their likes.

Same and tbh it makes me want to go back and try them again after I'm done.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

What the everloving hell did I just go through?

Exploring around the Capital and found a whole big sewer area. I go down through there and end up in some catacombs that pull some loving Silent Hill infinite loop psychological horror on me until I finally just go backwards and the door at the entrance is open despite no lever being pulled... and my reward is just a loving Rune Shard 11??? What is happening???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What the everloving hell did I just go through?

Exploring around the Capital and found a whole big sewer area. I go down through there and end up in some catacombs that pull some loving Silent Hill infinite loop psychological horror on me until I finally just go backwards and the door at the entrance is open despite no lever being pulled... and my reward is just a loving Rune Shard 11??? What is happening???

Hahaha theres more down there.

Something Much more.... mad

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

sounds good, more str for the str god

my Golden Halberd scales with faith too, but to be honest it's just all very complicated and I know strength makes the Halberd hit hard. so that works for me.

I do need to bump my vigor and endurance some more though, good call.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

pentyne posted:

Not loving Stormveil castle overall.

I went in at level 58

Holy poo poo, how are you guys leveling up so quickly? Just running through the saem swatchs of enemies in limgrave/Stormveil/Stormveil gate? I feel like I'm leveling super slowly.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Stormveil troubles: get a bow or a wand and shoot the birds to kite them.

Also walk into their attacks locked on and smack them out of the air with a pike.

Those tornado knights are miserable though.

Anyway I feel like I cheaped Godrick because after summoning +3 dogs and Nepheli Loux I just stood back and blasted him with pebbles. When I'd run out of mana and summons he was hanging on by a toenail and I just jump attacked to finish.

It wasn't really a fight but he doesn't fight fair so whatever.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I hate crucible knights so god damned much

Barudak
May 7, 2007

frogbs posted:

Holy poo poo, how are you guys leveling up so quickly? Just running through the saem swatchs of enemies in limgrave/Stormveil/Stormveil gate? I feel like I'm leveling super slowly.

You can access quite literally something like 3/4ths of the world map from the world go. Try the souther island instead of soldiering onimgrave

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Barudak posted:

Hahaha theres more down there.

Something Much more.... mad

Then I'm missing something because I got lost forever and only found what I mentioned. Any hints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frogbs posted:

I've been all over the entire map, probably have almost all the lost grace spots you can get without having to advance the plot.

Open worlds games for me start the moment I get free reign to travel and explore and the main plot takes a backseat until I have a full map and tons of the fast travel points everywhere.