Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

tote up a bags posted:

How do I get the underground quest to work? I have given the witch the blade, is it too late to check out her quest?

Iirc you progress by going to the previously blocked off third tower in The Three Sisters, which should now be unsealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Artelier posted:

Please, Elden Ring, I beg you, please stop introducing new areas. Please. Please!! There's so much!!!!

So I found a new area.

Then another new area.

And now I'm in the Lake of Rot and decided, no, I will stop playing for now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With Radahn defeated, might as well go clown on whatever chump is in that nearby War Catacombs heh heh heh :smug:
2 minutes later
HELP HELP I'M BEING BULLIED BY A TREE! :gonk:

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

so it seems like aside from vigor and endurance you kinda pick two stats and run with it at a certain point rirght? Unless the build is straight Str/Dex the weapon pool can get pretty niche, with some s-tiers in them.

like, to properly scale the metiorite katana you would need a significant amount of points into int.

at least late game your weapon pool would be very small i imagine? do I need to decide if I love scythes over duel axes pretty quick? with respecs being finite, seemingly, i really don't' wanna gently caress this up

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswhg_HQDng

This is probably my best video so far if you want to get very mad at me beating a difficult boss very easily/stupidly.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

seems like the game is definitely easier if you go kill the draconic knight and do the things after him prior to radahn. kinda odd cause the game is pointing you to Caelid at that point but I had a much more pleasant time getting past the Draco knight into that area proper. The outskirts are tougher than the interior. im finally leveling again and loving poo poo up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ngl one thing I'm not huge on in this game is weapon progression. In their other games I felt like playing around freely with stuff felt like it came pretty early on, maybe only sweating which ones you'd get to +10. In ER I feel like my starting weapon (or alternately something else found early on) is a higher level than all of the other stuff I want to play around with. Maybe I just need to google where to find more ball bearings cause tbh I'm still using my starting weapon most of the time because it's +13 and I can't bring anything else past +9 atm and it's just a basic rear end broadsword

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

seems like the game is definitely easier if you go kill the draconic knight and do the things after him prior to radahn. kinda odd cause the game is pointing you to Caelid at that point but I had a much more pleasant time getting past the Draco knight into that area proper. The outskirts are tougher than the interior. im finally leveling again and loving poo poo up

For some reason it really feels like Caelid, and redman by extension, is more endgame than all of Altus.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
So uh where else do I get more greatbow arrows? The merchant by the beach is sold the gently caress out of them and I cant craft anything but regular longbow arrows.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi friends, is the PC version stutter free yet?

Really wanna pull the trigger on this game yet. Some places make it seem like its a universal problem on PC no matter the specs, other places make it appear it isnt a problem but for some users. What do ya'll think?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7071414036809682222

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

buglord posted:

Really wanna pull the trigger on this game yet. Some places make it seem like its a universal problem on PC no matter the specs, other places make it appear it isnt a problem but for some users. What do ya'll think?
there's a bit sometimes but nothing that significant for me

ymmv

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

buglord posted:

I've been running on a new-ish computer and in 40 hours only had 2 ctd and no noticeable stutter but have seen multiple people post that it's unplayable.

Play it and I think pretty early you can check yourself, there's a optional boss right outside where you start and many people have said they had terrible stutter trying to fight him. You should be able to see within the refund window if it's happening.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Finished the game with the Moon Ending. My thoughts as a Mage & overall:

I'm probably going to piss some hardcore staunch fans of what the series is but here goes.

1) Potions, the game always gives you a save point near a boss and it's never hard to book it to the checkpoint if there isn't meaning that you should always have full potions for bosses. About 1/3 of the way through the game I realized that if I I couldn't kill the boss in 3-4 mana bars I was probably dead, meaning that any more than 5 mana potions was overkill. Same with HP potions, If I had to chug them it meant the boss was hitting too hard and I was probably dead in 2-3 hits. In exploration you can always go back to a save point and refill, and there were only 2-3 times when I actually had to do this so the point I'm making here is that having to collect more potions and juggle what you fill with what is dumb. Just make them unlimited and it really won't change anything. Then you can get rid of two of the many, many, upgrade items in the game. Or at least one and if you really want to keep the one that increases the amount potions refill then just make it a percentage thing rather than a number. I maxed out the seeds and my potions weren't completely refilling my mana bar which was just dumb. This kind of "nickle and dime"ing is what kills another system in the game.

2) Armor is pretty worthless. Before fighting Rennata for the third time, I went through my inventory and put on every piece of armor that gave magic resistance. Didn't change a loving thing, she still killed me in the same number of hits. I did the same thing with other bosses and it never did enougn. It's like FromSoft really didn't want to deviate from their plan of "boss kills you in 2-3 hits no matter what" and then realized that mean armor was only maybe good against non-boss enemies which again, makes it worthless because...

3) The game instills in your head fairly quickly in my experience that if you aren't fighting a boss, you're wasting your life. Yes, there is some good stuff to find on the world map, but getting to it means just riding straight to it and ignoring the poo poo along the way. Breath of the Wild kind of solved this by making you kill the enemies in an area to get a chest to appear, but here even the poo poo in the chests isn't usually very good.

4) The armor and weapons rating system is too obtuse, because we don't actually see numbers beyond the damage rating of a weapon and how it scales, and what exactly the boost of effects on damage is it's hard to tell what weapons actually hit harder than others. At one point I actually took a bunch of the staffs and equipped them all and tested their damage using some spells against a troll so I could actually figure out which one I should use. The Staffs in question were all higher level but the take away from this is that if you go get the free, sitting in the open world Meteorite Staff, available from day 1 until you get Lusat's Glintstone Staff and upgrade it to around +5. As for spells the Rock Throw spell which you get near the Meteorite Staff is also going to serve you well into the late game. I eventually ended up using Azur's Comet(it's kind of like a Kamehameha) a lot by the end as well as the Greatbow because it had really good range. Meteorite was also quite good against bosses that didn't move a lot. Sadly though, every spell is loving useless in boss fights unless you have a follower that has agro because the wind-up times and lack of ability to move will just get you killed; don't trick yourself into thinking that dumping 40 points into DEX is going to change this: it won't. As for followers I ended up using the Jellyfish, Headless, NightMaiden and Swordsman Puppets, and Mimic Ooze at the end. At 10+ the Puppets and Ooze were doing pretty good damage against lower level bosses and would chip away at the bigger ones. Really though the point of ashes was just to tank so I could blast with a big spell. Maybe next time I'll try out the Incantations but against most of the bosses I had better luck using my Darkmoon Greatsword than actually trying to hit them with a spell. Would have been better if some of the weapons had more unique attacks and speeds but everything seemed locked into a combination of weapon type and encumbrance, with seemingly no differentiation after that.

5) Enemy speed/damage. Here's where I'll probably piss off the hardcores, but it's just way too much. If I don't know what a boss does, I can't learn the pattern to defend it and sometimes the speed was just to difficult for me to respond. Some of the bosses were so fast that even if you walked into the room mashing the bell to summon an NPC it would hit you right away. As a wizard this was just brutal. Going back to my previous point about armor, most of the enemies tend to have pretty varied attacks so it was kind of rare when I could actually try and focus my defend on just one or two types of defense. This led to another problem which was...

6) The game really emphasizes a general focus rather than a specific one. Don't lock yourself into a single weapon type, or being just a Mage. I grinded my Int up to 70 to cast that Moon spell and it was a waste of stats. Get your Vitality to 40 and Stamina to 50, then figure out how little mind you can live with and go from there on everything expect Faith unless you're a Faith caster. Even if you like a certain weapon type, learn how to use another one that does a different type of damage and use items/skills against bosses that they're going to be weak against. TLDR here is: stat size is less important than damage type.

7) Final thought: I wouldn't say the game lied to me like it did in Sekiro, but it definitely didn't broaden itself enough to where it's something I'd say is good or that I like. Stealth is occasionally an option but never in boss fights when it would actually matter. Pure Mage was NOT ultimately viable and certainly not "easy mode" If you pick the right tool for the job then magic can feel like easy mode when you walk through a fight but magic alone will get you destroyed and you'll find yourself spamming out 'quick glintstone shard' just so you can actually get a hit in and keep moving, and this is not really very efficient. From Software seems to be trying to make their games more accessible but the roots of what brought them to the dance are still a bit too deep in the old ways. Hopefully Elden Ring 2 will be more progress in this way.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

buglord posted:

I haven't noticed any real improvement in performance since launch but it's also never been bad enough that I would tell anyone to stay away. I'm using relatively old hardware and it still runs smooth at max settings most of the time, the occasional moments of slowdown have never been an issue in combat.

Thought the game was done with amazing sights after Leyndell and it might fall off in quality towards the end but I just got to Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree. They put an amazing amount of effort into constructing these places that a lot of people will never even see.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

PaybackJack posted:

Stamina to 50

what did stamina that high do for you as a mage?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

Lmao 2 fingers

:aaa:

If we ever find an NPC that ends the conversation with thankee-sai, then we'll know for sure :clint:

Finally, FINALLY cleared Margit :hellyeah: Couldn't get parries consistently with regular shields, couldn't survive the quadweapon blender combos of phase 2 while solo, ended up watching him die from halfway across the bridge of jellyfish toxin. Get poisoned bitch!

I've been trying to help other people clear him and I get summoned right away, but always get booted with a connection error before the fight ends :(

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I have a general lore question for anybody who may know. What's up with those stone centipedes/caterpillars near the evergaols? What's their purpose?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The weapon leveling is really goofy in this, not only are the ingredients gated until after where you would be expected to be at or past that weapon level, they are prohibitively expensive. It really feels like from thought youd settle on one personal weapon and then sink everything you've got into that which lol get rekt experimenters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I think the crashing I experience is tied to online play, my suspicion is specifically on the anti-cheat. When I played co-op with my friend we'd both crash frequently. Tonight I was doing some invading to try and progress a certain NPC quest line, and it crashed a few times when I'd invade other people. But when I play offline? Nothing. Game barely even hitches.

EDIT: specifically the game freezes and crashes hard when I summon someone, get summoned or invade another world. Something about connecting to another game fucks poo poo up hard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Do we know yet what kind of metrics are used for matchmaking in this game for invasions? Just curious of being a SL1 invader with a +9 somber weapon would be feasible for example or if your equipment counts toward your "gear score" like in Dark Souls 3.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Delorence Fickle posted:

So uh where else do I get more greatbow arrows? The merchant by the beach is sold the gently caress out of them and I cant craft anything but regular longbow arrows.

The only unlimited great arrows vendor I found is the merchant on the way to the Volcano area. You find him if, where the grafted scion drops down, you take the left ladder (the right goes up to the path too, but it goes past the merchant). If you have been there already, quickest way is the "9th encampment something" grace, and just horse back across the bridge, enter the camp and immediately jump right onto the rocks, the ladder down is just ahead. 300 a pop but totally worth it. Also, I can't remember where but I have recipes for basic bone great arrows and fletched bone great arrows, which is super neat to refill on the go as needed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
*reads posts about fighting birds with swords for legs*

FrickenMoron posted:

Do we know yet what kind of metrics are used for matchmaking in this game for invasions? Just curious of being a SL1 invader with a +9 somber weapon would be feasible for example or if your equipment counts toward your "gear score" like in Dark Souls 3.

Earlier in the thread people were saying that it was tied to equipment level more than character level, to try and eliminate some of the twinking that would go on in earlier games.

e:

psychoJ posted:

I have a general lore question for anybody who may know. What's up with those stone centipedes/caterpillars near the evergaols? What's their purpose?

I also asked the same thing a few days ago. Best we could come up with, they're cameras broadcasting the fights on FromTV pro sports channels. Also, sick avatar, fellow Dick lover.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just found out I can punch and kick guys above and below me on ladders, was that ever a thing before? It’s loving hilarious, a guard is kicking my head and I’m punching his legs

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

man, this is the type of game where it actually kind of feels like you’re missing out on some stuff if you play as purely a magic glass cannon. I can easily see myself doing multiple playthroughs of this with different melee builds and faith builds

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I just found out I can punch and kick guys above and below me on ladders, was that ever a thing before? It’s loving hilarious, a guard is kicking my head and I’m punching his legs

In every game since dark souls, I can't recall if demon's had it. It's not something that came up much in the other games.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Barudak posted:

The weapon leveling is really goofy in this, not only are the ingredients gated until after where you would be expected to be at or past that weapon level, they are prohibitively expensive. It really feels like from thought youd settle on one personal weapon and then sink everything you've got into that which lol get rekt experimenters.

I'm close to the end of the game and have like 5 +9 somber weapons besides my +10 of choice and didn't buy a single somber stone so it's only actually bad if you want to experiment with a bunch of normal weapons, weirdly. If you just wanna play around with the weird unique poo poo the game is actually reasonable. Tbh I feel like they could cut the normal weapon upgrade costs in half and it'd be perfectly fine (1/2/4 instead of 2/4/6).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Should I be killing the sparkly footprint thingies? They are pretty so I've been leaving them alone :shobon:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nuebot posted:

In every game since dark souls, I can't recall if demon's had it. It's not something that came up much in the other games.

It can make for some truly hilarious moments in pvp. I'm sad that there aren't as many confined spaces filled with ladders as in some of the previous games.

Edit and apologies for accidental double post:

Takes No Damage posted:

*reads posts about fighting birds with swords for legs*

Just wait until you meet the ones that also have a flamethrower strapped to their head.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Since DS1 at least, maybe even Demons Souls.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Should I be killing the sparkly footprint thingies? They are pretty so I've been leaving them alone :shobon:
They're compulsively jogging along the same pattern for eternity. Best to put them out of their misery.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, I never got to try it in DS1, but it was around in 3. Kicking people off ladders was a feared and reviled form of PvP.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Finally got the Blasphemous Blade and it feels good to actually have a strong weapon for once. Winged Scythe, you were great for bosses weak to bleed, but your moveset was terrible. It's not me, it's you, and your love of bouncing off every wall imaginable.
Also Blasphemous Blade + Taker's Cameo is downright busted for exploring. I went for some Jolly Co-op with my friend for a couple hours, and the only times I needed to use Crimson Flasks were during bossfights.

Speaking of bossfights: I needed to beat Leonine Misbegotten & Crucible Knight to re-access Radahan's boss room to help my friend with that, and lmao that boss just melts when you bring Blasphemous Blade AND the Moonveil Katana to the table.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah weapon level is the basis on which I've been tackling things. Margit seems about right at +4 and Godrick +7. I think I did renetta at +10 or something and they all felt like I was in the intended range.
+4 is enough for Margit, which means it is also enough for Godrick, who is much easier than Margit (especially considering that getting the reward from Nepheli requires you to summon her, IIRC)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The enemy designs in this game are loving wild, and the game keeps surprising me with new stuff alongside the many instances of reused assets. I got to the capital tonight and what even are these trumpeter things

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm close to the end of the game and have like 5 +9 somber weapons besides my +10 of choice and didn't buy a single somber stone so it's only actually bad if you want to experiment with a bunch of normal weapons, weirdly. If you just wanna play around with the weird unique poo poo the game is actually reasonable. Tbh I feel like they could cut the normal weapon upgrade costs in half and it'd be perfectly fine (1/2/4 instead of 2/4/6).

Yeah, somber stone weapons are fine upgrade wise, there's enough stones dropping to go around, and many of the weapons won't fit your stats anyhow. But the tuning is off for regular weapons, which is a bit silly. Ashes of War is a fantastic QoL feature already, I wish they'd just review the upgrade system next with either a global 'weapon upgrade level' or at least a semi-global upgrade per weapon category.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

They drop weapon skills, though I don't know if any of them are unique or not.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Went and ran around random PvP spots. The Crystal Tunnel that Patches' trap spawns you in is a major hotspot. So I guess people call in their coop buddies and get invaded. Brilliant.

Also, spawned once in the wall and just got slowly whacked to death while my own weapon bounced off the rocks. Sadness.

Somewhat related: Vyke's Spear is the perfect weapon that Hitler dreamed of making. Busted in every possible way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Finally got the Blasphemous Blade and it feels good to actually have a strong weapon for once. Winged Scythe, you were great for bosses weak to bleed, but your moveset was terrible. It's not me, it's you, and your love of bouncing off every wall imaginable.
Also Blasphemous Blade + Taker's Cameo is downright busted for exploring. I went for some Jolly Co-op with my friend for a couple hours, and the only times I needed to use Crimson Flasks were during bossfights.

Speaking of bossfights: I needed to beat Leonine Misbegotten & Crucible Knight to re-access Radahan's boss room to help my friend with that, and lmao that boss just melts when you bring Blasphemous Blade AND the Moonveil Katana to the table.

+4 is enough for Margit, which means it is also enough for Godrick, who is much easier than Margit (especially considering that getting the reward from Nepheli requires you to summon her, IIRC)

She'll give it even if you don't summon her

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tarezax posted:

The enemy designs in this game are loving wild, and the game keeps surprising me with new stuff alongside the many instances of reused assets. I got to the capital tonight and what even are these trumpeter things

It always weirded me out how From would clearly put effort into making really bizarre enemies and then only place like three of them in one random spot. Maybe open world was a request from the frustrated guy who made the goofy frogs and tree snakes in DS1.

Takes No Damage posted:

They drop weapon skills, though I don't know if any of them are unique or not.

Ok, thanks. I feel kinda bad about it but guess I'll see what they drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

what did stamina that high do for you as a mage?

I didn't put it that high, that's just where the softcap is. I had mine at 40 after a respec. It was for dodge rolls so I could get out of the way of some of the late game attacks that are fairly relentless. I was also wearing Rahdan's armor for most of the game. I wasn't heavily encumbered but some of the attacks require multiple rolls in sequence and I also needed them to get some distance quickly when my summon would draw the fire. Most of the spells 'break' if you're too close.