Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Really sounds like aw gently caress to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This is the game that launched DLC audio where the commentator said “can we take that again“ and repeated the line

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

nL are playing 2k20 one last time and :allears:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuaveAthleticWaterKevinTurtle-G-KgFCPY_K3wDmIA

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Oh gently caress!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

They can't even get twitter right. They're copyright claiming wrestlers who are in the game sharing photos of the game.

https://twitter.com/DakotaKai_WWE/status/1500200952594411525?s=20&t=_U66Jp1FAofDei7rrsrcFQ

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ganso Bomb posted:

They can't even get twitter right. They're copyright claiming wrestlers who are in the game sharing photos of the game.

https://twitter.com/DakotaKai_WWE/status/1500200952594411525?s=20&t=_U66Jp1FAofDei7rrsrcFQ

Stupidity on the level of game designers getting copyright struck for showing off footage of their own games.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's simply true if you take a step back and analyze the tweet.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How are we realistically going to get good WWE game again? Seems like 2k might lose the license after 2k20v.2 bombs. So like best case EA picks them up? Tweaks the kinda lovely UFC engine?

This is the worst possible timeline for wrestling games.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

it's simply true if you take a step back and analyze the tweet.

dakota kai the smartest wrestler in the biz. this business that i love

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

How are we realistically going to get good WWE game again? Seems like 2k might lose the license after 2k20v.2 bombs. So like best case EA picks them up? Tweaks the kinda lovely UFC engine?

This is the worst possible timeline for wrestling games.

All hope really lies in the AEW game. Otherwise your best options are MDICKIE games, modded AKI engine games or the Fire Pro series

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Shard posted:

All hope really lies in the AEW game. Otherwise your best options are MDICKIE games, modded AKI engine games or the Fire Pro series

So what, the last 20 odd years of Yukes pumping out WWE garbage means they're going to make their AEW game better?

Lol.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

So what, the last 20 odd years of Yukes pumping out WWE garbage means they're going to make their AEW game better?

Lol.

They’ve hired the guy who designed the AKI engine as a consultant so there’s hope. Plus all the EVPs are huge video game nerds

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

joylessdivision posted:

Lol.

working with WWE is generally not indicative of anyone's capabilities

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

joylessdivision posted:

Lol.

Yukes was put in a situation where they had less than a year to make a new game every single year, something that killed a ton of other franchises that had a LOT more money and resources behind them than WWE would ever give them. Couple that with the fact that every new set of consoles makes developing a game of this scope that much more expensive and time-consuming to develop, AND reportedly WWE would cut their budget every time put them in a situation where they were expected to do more and more with less and less resources and at some point it just became completely untenable. Not even the best dev team in the world could make good games forever with that kind of management.

The only real options there for for WWE games at this point are basically:

A) What the Assassin's Creed games did, where you give up on annual releases and make one game every 3-4 years and fill the gap with more substantial DLC in between

B) What the Call of Duty games did, where you hire 3 or 4 studios who alternate between making games so you still have a game every year but each studio gets 3-4 years to work on their game

Both of those options would require a huge investment from WWE and given how little money they're willing to spend on actual wrestlers on their wrestling show it's very unlikely they'll have any interest in actually doing this. What'll probably happen is they're just gonna continue this cycle of hiring a studio, burning them the gently caress out with the same grueling schedule and ever-shrinking budget and then dumping them and moving on to a new one every few years and much like the actual WWE product it'll just continue to come out and make money despite being complete dogshit.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The games don't have to be good. People are still going to eat them up, bitch about them, and then still buy the next year's entry.

A group of people I'm in a discord with are hyped as hell about 2k22 and think it looks good. People are just so desperate for a new wrestling game they're willing to eat poo poo.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
its not like every wwe game yukes made was a mess, some of the yukes games were the best. but yeah wwe keeps squeezing blood out of a stone yknow. like cmon here comes the pain rules lets not act like it doesnt

i just hope aew doesn't try and copy the yearly model for their games. put something out that will be the game for like, idk 3 years at least and release dlc for roster updates, just please god dont copy the rest of the sports game models out there

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Vandar posted:

The games don't have to be good. People are still going to eat them up, bitch about them, and then still buy the next year's entry.

A group of people I'm in a discord with are hyped as hell about 2k22 and think it looks good. People are just so desperate for a new wrestling game they're willing to eat poo poo.

I believe People are buying wwe games less and less FWIW with 2k20 being the worse selling game they've put out

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

shiksa posted:

its not like every wwe game yukes made was a mess, some of the yukes games were the best. but yeah wwe keeps squeezing blood out of a stone yknow. like cmon here comes the pain rules lets not act like it doesnt

i just hope aew doesn't try and copy the yearly model for their games. put something out that will be the game for like, idk 3 years at least and release dlc for roster updates, just please god dont copy the rest of the sports game models out there

It certainly seems like AEW's going that route with their game. They could have easily rushed their game out and had no competition the year that 2k21 didn't happen, but they chose not to rush the game.

That said I do think the AEW Game is gonna be facing an uphill battle because the expectations for it are gonna be astronomically high after so many years of poo poo WWE games, and there's probably gonna be a lot of people who poo poo on it for not coming out and having every single feature ever from the WWE games.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

It certainly seems like AEW's going that route with their game. They could have easily rushed their game out and had no competition the year that 2k21 didn't happen, but they chose not to rush the game.

That said I do think the AEW Game is gonna be facing an uphill battle because the expectations for it are gonna be astronomically high after so many years of poo poo WWE games, and there's probably gonna be a lot of people who poo poo on it for not coming out and having every single feature ever from the WWE games.

That and constant references to the AKI engine.

I'm really worried people are going to get hype poisoned.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

Yukes was put in a situation where they had less than a year to make a new game every single year, something that killed a ton of other franchises that had a LOT more money and resources behind them than WWE would ever give them. Couple that with the fact that every new set of consoles makes developing a game of this scope that much more expensive and time-consuming to develop, AND reportedly WWE would cut their budget every time put them in a situation where they were expected to do more and more with less and less resources and at some point it just became completely untenable.

Wait, I was under the impression that with a license like this WWE merely *gets* money (and creative approval) and the publisher is the one that pays it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait, I was under the impression that with a license like this WWE merely *gets* money (and creative approval) and the publisher is the one that pays it.

This was coming from one of the directors of the older games, and to be honest I don't know exactly how the money flows in this sort of situation so it's possible it was entirely 2K's decision to cut the budgets but at the very least WWE as the licensor would still be pressuring them to rush the games out and make them as profitable as possible.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
People are already over hyping the aew game and assume it's coming out some time soon when that's realistically not the case and the ever expanding roster is gonna make people mad when their favorites aren't in the game

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

KungFu Grip posted:

People are already over hyping the aew game and assume it's coming out some time soon when that's realistically not the case and the ever expanding roster is gonna make people mad when their favorites aren't in the game

If the game is good and fun they can release the exact same game in a year with roster updates and I’d buy it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

I've been able to find a pretty accurate Chris Benoit off Community Creations within three days of every WWE game for the last ten years or more. If they don't have Buddy Murphy in there in sure someone will make a decent CAW.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
What is everyone’s most recent WWE game you really, truly thought was good? Not just acceptable via Community Creations.

I think I’d have to go back to ‘14. I didn’t play ‘19 and ‘20 but there’s no chance in hell they’d make the cut.

edit: oh yeah All-Stars was good fun

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 7, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
All stars was great, I had that for the 360.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Golden Bee posted:

All stars was great, I had that for the 360.

Yeah All Stars was brilliant fun. Outside of that 2k14 was the last title that I'd say was truly good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

was 2k14 the one where you could play all* the mania main events? i liked that one

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
14 is basically okay. It has some of the flaws that would be magnified later- it's already a little slow, kinda glitchy, the branding is a bit overbearing (it's hard to run a proper e-fed when they're constantly reminding you THIS IS WWE!), but I did a whole year of Universe mode.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Day of Reckoning 2 (2005)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I was playing the TEW 2020 Trial for about three or four hours until the PPV yesterday. I think I started and re-started it about seven times and only managed one horrendous card. Top notch spreadsheet gaming.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

*shakes head*

So the Accelerator has been renamed to "My SuperCharger" and unlike in the games of old, it still doesn't unlock everything in the game.

https://twitter.com/TheSDHotel/status/1500817058816303109?s=20&t=IZIRwH_dvlFqJArWHhhLAg

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I just realized that the easiest win that AEW can have with their first bit of DLC is ROH alts for half of their roster. They can reuse most of the assets/animations and they now have the rights to the old likeness. All it took for us to get an ROH videogame was for the company to get sold.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

Day of Reckoning 2 (2005)

God drat I loved the GameCube WWE games. Mania 19 had all the absurd "Throw people off poo poo" matches and then the DoR games had that hefty grapple feeling. gently caress I miss those games.

I've put a ton of hours into 2K19 because of the CAW system and Universe being pretty good for running my own fed. More so after I got a Series X last year because it didn't take forever to load between creation suites.

I played 2K20 for about an hour, long enough to go through the DLC packs (the whole thing was bundled for like $20 at one point) and realize "Yeah, this is as busted as literally everyone said it was." And haven't touched it since.

And to be clear, I also hope the AEW game is good, not because I watch the product but because I miss when we got a different wrestling game besides the WWE ones and I'm hoping it's not another Legends of Wrestling or worse, Impact.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

God drat I loved the GameCube WWE games. Mania 19 had all the absurd "Throw people off poo poo" matches and then the DoR games had that hefty grapple feeling. gently caress I miss those games.

If you know how to use a Gamecube emulator there's a mod called the Forbidden DOR which has a load of crazy changes/additions including Ultimate X and a Triple Cage match:

https://github.com/mileswross/Forbidden-DoR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6rgqDaae2g

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

only a mark vincel says the aew game will be bad. they are paid by the house of saud to lie.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I did my first show in TEW in my hometown in Ireland with a custom, self-started company. I think the fact we're called Powerful Objects of Obliteration (POO, haha) is about right.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Been confirmed promos have been deleted from universe, with no improvements or changes made to universe whatsoever. Same glitchy cutscenes, still cant interfere in title matches (whyyy?), just the same turd shined up real nice.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 7, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheSDHotel/status/1500845250289537024?s=20&t=Qk1IPvdS_pJW43XXr8jgLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Yoko’s a good one to add because they didn’t let you make a CAW with his body type in recent games.