Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I am growing to have a serious curse with water and my house. Late last year part of the plumbing that goes to the master bath started dripping into the kitchen ceiling, which turned into a large decon/recon job that affected the entire ceiling. Then a pipe behind the kitchen sink started leaking and dripping through the floor into the basement. Then my sump pump failed during a storm just a few weeks ago, flooding my basement. Now I've discovered that my refrigerator is leaking water out the back when I engage the water dispenser in the front.

I worry a bit about rotting the floorboards but I feel worse for the people who are going to have me as a PO. I just can't keep on top of repairs or afford to really tear out or replace affected things. I'd love to do a complete water-proofing remodel on the basement but that's just going to have to be the next person's problem. At least I keep the local plumbers busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I am growing to have a serious curse with water and my house.

What kind of pipe? How old? Where are these leaks forming (joints, in the middle of the pipe)? Have you had your water tested (and when)?

Just curious if this isn't some sort of overall issue that could be as "simple" as water quality eating pipes. Or as messy as "house piped in poly-b".

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Motronic posted:

What kind of pipe? How old? Where are these leaks forming (joints, in the middle of the pipe)? Have you had your water tested (and when)?

Just curious if this isn't some sort of overall issue that could be as "simple" as water quality eating pipes. Or as messy as "house piped in poly-b".

They're copper pipes, house is about 45 years old. Well, the leak from the bathroom was a copper pipe and it looked like it was in the middle of a stretch of pipe. Idk what the pipe from the sink was, it was the main drain. I forgot to mention that my garbage disposal cracked and would leak water into the under-sink cabinet, also in this time frame. I haven't had my water tested, I guess I could do that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tater_salad posted:

yeah I've pretty much subscibed to what looks good enough and is cheap that's not some super unkown off brand.
Exception: NOT Samsung. Samsung refrigerators in particular break, and you can only use Samsung repairmen, because they're the only people with access to the (never actually imported) parts.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

LawfulWaffle posted:

I am growing to have a serious curse with water and my house.

gently caress water. We’ve been in our house for over 20 years and we’ve had two floods from hurricanes (couple inches once then a foot the second time) and worry everytime that our mitigation is going to work, two washing machine failures, leaky roof vent (two different times). When we got our new fridge we sought out one without and ice maker, don’t need another water failure point. And my wife is in commercial property management and she’s always detailing with some type of water problem. Heavy rain gives her anxiety attacks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Home ownership: Water is the enemy

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
very on-topic.

So we moved to this place and it rained maybe twice, and as far as I could tell the gutters worked ok. But!!!! We remembered a month or so ago that we didn't get the gutters cleaned for fall (when we bought it) so we got the gutters cleaned. It's been snowing once a week and I've noticed that when the snow melts, even when the drain pipe (the vertical gutter the water goes down, if that's what it's called) is about 3 feet away, the gutter on one corner of the house drips water while the nearby drainpipe doesn't even have a trickle coming out.

The gutter cleaner person said 'hm, your gutters aren't exactly level but it should be fine' but yeah I think it's not. How do I get this remedied? the house is 20 years old. Will anyone who comes out, say, "you need new gutters all around the house"? How much would that cost for a 2 storey at the front, 3 storey at the back, 4200 square foot house in Denver? I'm guessing like 5k+?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

redreader posted:

very on-topic.

So we moved to this place and it rained maybe twice, and as far as I could tell the gutters worked ok. But!!!! We remembered a month or so ago that we didn't get the gutters cleaned for fall (when we bought it) so we got the gutters cleaned. It's been snowing once a week and I've noticed that when the snow melts, even when the drain pipe (the vertical gutter the water goes down, if that's what it's called) is about 3 feet away, the gutter on one corner of the house drips water while the nearby drainpipe doesn't even have a trickle coming out.

The gutter cleaner person said 'hm, your gutters aren't exactly level but it should be fine' but yeah I think it's not. How do I get this remedied? the house is 20 years old. Will anyone who comes out, say, "you need new gutters all around the house"? How much would that cost for a 2 storey at the front, 3 storey at the back, 4200 square foot house in Denver? I'm guessing like 5k+?

Last time I got gutters it was around $8 per foot installed. About 6 years ago I think. In Denver.

Depends on what "not exactly level" means, if it's close, you could seal that end and it'll just hold water until the level is high enough to reach the drop to the downspout. The corner is probably not low enough that the gutter is full to the brim, it's just metal bent together that needs to be sealed and water is coming through the joint.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

StormDrain posted:

Last time I got gutters it was around $8 per foot installed. About 6 years ago I think. In Denver.

Depends on what "not exactly level" means, if it's close, you could seal that end and it'll just hold water until the level is high enough to reach the drop to the downspout. The corner is probably not low enough that the gutter is full to the brim, it's just metal bent together that needs to be sealed and water is coming through the joint.

Thanks so much! that's a lot cheaper than I expected. Do you have a recommended person? I'm in Thornton.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

skipdogg posted:

My last house that had these, and I was on a concrete slab, so there was a slit in the carpet, and a small piece of scrap wood was slid underneath it, and then the screws grabbed into that scrap wood though the carpet. It wasn't super sturdy, but it was enough to keep everything on track

My carpet is some kind of weird linoleum underneath. I have no clue how to drill into that without the bit snapping. vOv

I guess I'll just go for it. If it comes down to it I suppose I can just literally nail them into place with a hammer. Not very nice to remove later but them's the breaks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

redreader posted:

Thanks so much! that's a lot cheaper than I expected. Do you have a recommended person? I'm in Thornton.

Nah it was just a part of my roofing that he subcontracted out. I just remember it well because we negotiated that price down a little.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Thanks for the information! Thankless water heater put on hold for now. I'll look into all the terrible fridge models and make sure to choose the least terrible.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AHH F/UGH posted:

My carpet is some kind of weird linoleum underneath. I have no clue how to drill into that without the bit snapping. vOv

I guess I'll just go for it. If it comes down to it I suppose I can just literally nail them into place with a hammer. Not very nice to remove later but them's the breaks.

You're now the PO we all complain about.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I mean nothing will ever top what the previous owner of this house did, I can tell you that much

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

I mean nothing will ever top what the previous owner of this house did, I can tell you that much

The people or the animals?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

BadSamaritan posted:

According to internet reviews, every brand of major appliance is complete and utter poo poo. At least that’s what I can tell from researching washer/dryers.
I have had good luck going in and asking for the model that they sell to apartments. Assuming renters are going to destroy anything not sturdy, you get a basic model that holds up longer. Great if you have kids and don't care about things like water and ice dispensers and fancy things.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

moana posted:

I have had good luck going in and asking for the model that they sell to apartments. Assuming renters are going to destroy anything not sturdy, you get a basic model that holds up longer. Great if you have kids and don't care about things like water and ice dispensers and fancy things.

Ehh, I wouldn't unless I had to. Apartments buy those because they're cheap and low maintenance. But they also don't have to live with them... they may last forever, but they're huge piles of crap. They don't regulate temperature well, they're noisy as gently caress, and they're not going to be very energy efficient. They're also smaller in my experience, so while they might work great as a beer fridge in the garage, I wouldn't want one inside.

One of the happiest days of homeownership was realizing that I didn't have to tolerate the garbage appliances they throw in apartments anymore.

Also ice makers and filtered water dispensers are awesome and I wouldn't want to live without them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

Also ice makers and filtered water dispensers are awesome and I wouldn't want to live without them.

Solidarity my brother.

I still think our LG fridge was a great buy, just had to do a condenser swap while just barely still in the 10 year warranty and any other minor issues was a recall.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
These posts really make me hope the LG fridge we bought last year (that is working great and we like a lot) doesn't poo poo the bed. :ohdear:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

These posts really make me hope the LG fridge we bought last year (that is working great and we like a lot) doesn't poo poo the bed. :ohdear:

I think the important thing to remember is that an "unreliable" appliance compared to a "reliable" or even "average" appliance isn't nearly as wide as you'd think from the complaints and confirmation bias. The vast majority of these things will perform as expected through their average service life.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

They're copper pipes, house is about 45 years old. Well, the leak from the bathroom was a copper pipe and it looked like it was in the middle of a stretch of pipe. Idk what the pipe from the sink was, it was the main drain. I forgot to mention that my garbage disposal cracked and would leak water into the under-sink cabinet, also in this time frame. I haven't had my water tested, I guess I could do that.

My place had terrible water, so much dissolved sodium that it was actually brackish. ~2500 ppm. All of my pipes are PVC, but any metal fixture in the house was rotting apart. All of the faucets and drains were corroding to nothingness. It was so bad that the adapter to the well casing rusted through, the well casing rusted through, and the septic tank collapsed (on the PO, not me). Even the drywall screws near the showers were corroding underneath the paint.

One cheap way to test for overall badness is a TDS tester, $15. It won't tell you what is making your water poo poo, but if you test it and it's under 500 ppm, then you're probably OK. If you test it and see something like 2500 ppm, then you've got a problem like mine. My only solution was a new well, which gives me 400 ppm water, only about half of that is sodium. Not great, but actually drinkable. If you are on municipal water contact them and ask for a water report.

At work we use DI water and it steals ions from copper pipe, but even that took 8 years before we saw pinholes. (We now use PEX) We did have a weird grounding issue where it was stealing ions from piping and that caused some crazy quick leaking.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
My washing machine is a Samsung & it has a little postbox flap you can post forgotten socks into when you find them on the floor of the kitchen after already starting the load.

I love it, weird letter box machine.
Our previous washing machine in our rental had to be opened with a knife as the plastic handle became rigid and snapped off, so this is like… the fanciest thing to me. It also sings to you when it’s done!

I am a uk goon tho, so it’s a front loader not a top loader.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just bought a Samsung fridge from Costco I guess that is why it was cheap and available. I’ll let you know when it explodes

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The church will provide for you my child provided you used their card services.

Arch Diocese Of Costco, Financial Services posted:

6. Extended warranty

Feel confident shopping with Costco. With the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card, your manufacturer’s warranty is extended on eligible purchases. Terms and conditions apply

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have a 2010 era Samsung RF 266AE French Door fridge from my prior house that has been in my garage now since 2015 and it still makes rock hard ice cream and kicks the crap out of the one that actually fits in my house, which is some counter depth 21cf Maytag from 2015. It's like everything else, you can't shop by brand you have to shop by brand, model and year to lessen your chances of a dud.

Here is the solar quote I am going with (the other were actually slightly more expensive for slightly lesser panels it looks like and not as detailed proposals). They will also work with me in getting an electric water heater wired out in my garage as well. Sacramento, CA area. Works out to $3.12/watt ($17,800/5,700), the others were more around $3.20-$3.25. My electric rates are cheap (at least for now) since I don't have PG&E - so this is a long term play, but I plan on running A/C 24/7, wine fridges and other fridges and a LG A/C standalone in my insulated garage during the 7 month long summer here.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is your inverter undersized? 4.35 kW vs 5.7 kW array?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nameplate vs actual is a thing. I think common practice is subtract 15-20%, but the -25% listed looks slightly undersized, especially given how sunny Sacramento is in the 7 month long summer

I'm not sure what happens when you undersize the inverter/mppt but I think they can overheat in some cases? Not sure

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Got a gutter guy over today. He pointed out that there are twigs in the gutters (we got them cleaned about a month ago) and due to trees on the sides of our house we'd need a cleaning regularly. So the reason I had him come over is water is leaking out of the gutters, like overflowing, after snowfall, but not coming out of the downspout. He said the slope was bad and he could do a 'clean, service, reseal' for $800, which would include resloping the gutters where the slope is bad.

He also pointed out that they're all 4 inch gutters, therefore out of code, and he sells 5 and 6 inch gutters (8 dollars a foot, he said, lining up with what someone told me about recently) and said they'd need to be replaced within a couple of years. He also said he'd offer gutter guards, but his company doesn't do them for 4 inch gutters (tjhe sample he showed me before he realised this, was for 5 inches)

Does 800 sound about right for this kind of service? A cleaning is about 220 or so, so it's a cleaning and 580 worth of resealing and re-sloping the gutters. Due to the water leaking out of the gutters, a few days after snowfall after I've shovelled my driveway completely clean, the driveway where people walk to my door is covered in ice. I hate it, and it sucks. It's fine for cars but not for delivery people. One day my garage door was even iced shut.

edit: I'll get another quote if that's like, ridiculous, but if it sounds right to you or within the range of 'seems normal' then I'll get it done. The house is 4200 sq foot, with a basement and 3 car garage so it's decently-sized.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I just had a full house gutter removal/replacement last week and it cost $1550 for a ~1000sf house. $800 for that service on a 4200sf house doesn't sound insane, but always shop around. Also, cheapest isn't always the best. Some installers will just nail them into rotten wood and move on, others actually do it right.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the code but rather if there's an issue with the gutters being only 4" deep. Your slope must have been pretty severe to completely miss the downspout, so I suspect that's what you'll want to fix. Or install a second downspout at the low point?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

Gibraltar Building Products 1 oz. Clear Silicone Gutter Sealant
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibraltar-Building-Products-1-oz-Clear-Silicone-Gutter-Sealant-SEAMER1OZ/203288732
SKU# 203288732

Gibraltar Building Products 4 in. White Steel K-Style Gutter Spike and Ferrule (10 Pack)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibraltar-Building-Products-4-in-White-Steel-K-Style-Gutter-Spike-and-Ferrule-10-Pack-WHS7F4-10/203288792
SKU# 203288792

Alas, I am both tooled up and too cheap to pay for professionals.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Basements should never ever ever be finished.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Basements should never ever ever be finished.

Tell us where the bad basement touched your wallet.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My finished basement flooded with $20k worth of damage less than a year after I had refinished it...after the previous flood

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

brugroffil posted:

My finished basement flooded with $20k worth of damage less than a year after I had refinished it...after the previous flood

Me too :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Walkout basements own

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

Is your inverter undersized? 4.35 kW vs 5.7 kW array?

I'm following up with them on that. It does look like there is a higher power rated Enphase IQ7A or IQ7X they could use that decrease the variance from 24% down to either 17% or 8%. It also seems that it is standard to have less inverter than panels as long as it is under 30% (inverter rating/solar power).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 5, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bird with big dick posted:

Walkout basements own

:hmmyes:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've never (well, since 4th grade) lived anywhere that wasn't either slab or walkout basement construction. The new place is even at the top of the highest point of our block, so I'm pretty confident on finishing the basement without water issues. However, I do wish the builder would have been willing to do in-slab hydronic heat like I'd wanted. Would have made the eventual finished basement much more comfortable, as well as the garage. I did get a gas heater option in the garage though, so that'll keep me happy enough.

I've looked at retrofit floor heat options for the basement, but haven't decided if I want to go that route or not. We've got plenty of overhead for gas or electric service to support the floor heat, but I don't want to have something that's going to add a bunch of height to the slab.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You would think that I would have learned by now, if I need to do anything regarding an old stop (valve for toilet or sink connection) that I would purchase a new stop before I start that project.

Popped a new sharkbite stop on there and the toilet actually fills before you're done washing up. Or close to. And the real problem has been fixed as well, the toilet doesn't rock. I didn't fix it properly of course, by leveling the flange that is a half inch out, but I did put some shims under it!

See you next year when my toilet is leaking!

The real plan is that I'm moving a toilet upstairs this year so when I buy glue and pipe and it's not 7pm on Saturday I'll do it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do we have a consensus on the best dishwasher in tyool 2022? My old GE has finally started costing me more time/parts than I care to put into it.

Or should I just lay my tax refund dick on the table and get a bosch 800?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 6, 2022