Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well even ignoring the Colors it’s not too hard to figure out.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I suck at this game, I need to be more cautious.

Full wiped on the first level, and the Mines early in the game.

e: Just got a guy who can put up ladders and turrets? My MAN.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I find it funny that your first horse unit (who are apparently weak to spears) and your first hawk rider (who are weak to bows), themselves, use spears and bows

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright, finally managed to shithouse Avlora without using any of the traps.

Used a BUNCH of consumables though, and played very conservatively to bait out enemies. Still had a couple units get TRUCKED by avlora (including my soon to be wife, who was just raining fire down from on high until a unit jumped up, and pushed her off of the roof she was on, right into the enemy generals waiting arms. masterful)

Game owns bones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

It's a process that Asano says can take upwards of two months. “We ask a lot of people for their opinions,” he says. ”For example, we even ask native English speakers about the new titles, and they usually tell us: ‘It’s obvious that a Japanese person named this game.

lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's the same logic as "no such thing as bad press"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it might be the contrainian within me but I like the name

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You aren't playing the name, so it could be named Switchy Switcherooing, the SRPGing and I'd still play it

It is stupid engrish though.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Took two attempts to defend Wolffort without the contraption. Geela tanking Avlora was not how I envisioned the winning move to be. Didn't seem to get any extra dialogue for beating her with Roland though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

McTimmy posted:

Took two attempts to defend Wolffort without the contraption. Geela tanking Avlora was not how I envisioned the winning move to be. Didn't seem to get any extra dialogue for beating her with Roland though.

It's super cool to win without using the traps but it feels like such a let down that there are no extra rewards for doing so. All the non-burned houses have people that say "Thanks!" but it feels like a missed opportunity to not put resources in them. Kinda bummed me out. Great opportunity for an extra Medal of Bravery or something.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 6, 2022

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Levantine posted:

It's super cool to win without using the traps but it feels like such a let down that there are no extra rewards for doing so. All the non-burned houses have people that say "Thanks!" but it feels like a missed opportunity to not put resources in them. Kinda bummed me out. Great opportunity for an extra Medal of Bravery or something.

You spend a fair amount of time in and around wolffort so i imagine theres stuff in the houses you didn't burn down in future explorations. I went full war crimes and can't confirm but there's a child who tells me about how sad and cold he is without a house every time I wander through.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Beat Ch2 in the demo (Hard). First battle took me two tries since first time I was too aggressive but I feel good about crushing everyone in the second battle with no casualties. Talking is fun too though this will probably be a game where I watch a handful of cutscenes and then take a break since I don't have the patience to sit through hours of cutscenes in one sitting.

Digging it so far, though, probably gonna pick it up after I finish the demo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd say strategically the big thing in this game to think about how you can create a force advantage through positioning.

For example, on the chapter VI map there are two paths you can take around. If you split your forces to deal with it, the map becomes a lot harder, but if you just dump everything you have up one path, take that front down and then let the second path reinforce into you, you'll have a much easier time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Natural 20 posted:

I'd say strategically the big thing in this game to think about how you can create a force advantage through positioning.

For example, on the chapter VI map there are two paths you can take around. If you split your forces to deal with it, the map becomes a lot harder, but if you just dump everything you have up one path, take that front down and then let the second path reinforce into you, you'll have a much easier time.

This is why I love traps. Enemies will try to avoid them (unless they just can't). You can force enemies to move in ways you prefer and if they do hit a trap then they take damage and lose a turn. Bosses probably take more damage from traps than anything else. I've been playing with a ranged/magic heavy team that retreats over traps. Basically just mine the way you came from and any pursuers that come at you from weird angles take care of themselves.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everytime a spring trap sends an enemy unit flying off a cliff I can't help but laugh. plop.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Maxwell almost died on the bridge map because a shieldbearer pushed him off the edge.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I can't say I like the chapter 13 voting section, not one bit. No matter what I do to try to persuade people they always vote on party lines.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs

Levantine posted:

This is why I love traps. Enemies will try to avoid them (unless they just can't). You can force enemies to move in ways you prefer and if they do hit a trap then they take damage and lose a turn. Bosses probably take more damage from traps than anything else. I've been playing with a ranged/magic heavy team that retreats over traps. Basically just mine the way you came from and any pursuers that come at you from weird angles take care of themselves.

I beat chapter 7 without using the statues by funneling the enemies with traps. Erador's bash combined with traps allowed my snipers and mages enough time to plink off HP.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know I’m only on normal and it’s early in the game but I absolutely demolished chapter 2 but just moving my team into the corner in a defensive formation and forcing the enemies to come to me. Made me feel smart. I’m greatly enjoying the game so far.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just playing the demo but the voice acting, yikes. I enjoy most of it, but then you get Geela literally saying "phew" like "few" instead of making a sound.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love that finding a (chapter 12, protection route) giant pink rock is an earth shattering development in this game.

e: oh, the enchanting dancer finally gets a name, lol

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 6, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arrrthritis posted:

I can't say I like the chapter 13 voting section, not one bit. No matter what I do to try to persuade people they always vote on party lines.

Just got to this, managed to flip one which cause my second tie during the game lol.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snooze Cruise posted:

Just got to this, managed to flip one which cause my second tie during the game lol.

Yeah, I figured that Flooding the city would be an absolutely terrible idea but for some reason Erador kept throwing their swing vote in that direction. It turns out that my Liberty stat must have been poo poo, because I couldn't Convincen anyone to do the infiltration mission regardless of what I chose, so I went with Frederica's plan instead to destroy the bridge.

Just curious- what happens when the scales go to a tie? Do you make the deciding vote?

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love that finding a (chapter 12, protection route) giant pink rock is an earth shattering development in this game.

My wife and I lol'd at that reveal. This rock... it's made of salt!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah you just throw in a deciding vote. I like to imagine serona just puts his hand down to tip the scales lol.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lobster Maneuver posted:

I beat chapter 7 without using the statues by funneling the enemies with traps. Erador's bash combined with traps allowed my snipers and mages enough time to plink off HP.

There are a few maps where it just doesn't work. Chapter 9 Arena battle (if you deliver the salt to Aesfrost and don't reveal Roland) is one of them. The area is too small and you're exposed on turn 1 so shove attacks are at a higher premium. Otherwise they are a mainstay for me combined with setting oil on fire or doing rain/lightning attacks. Enemies move the way I say, dammit!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How's the story writing in this game? Kinda on the fence about it and waiting to hear thoughts from people far in/near the end, since Octopath gave me a real strong first impression but I fell off on it midway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
How many chapters are there? Looking for a general sense of time, not heavy spoilers

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just started this. Used the demo save.

Holy DICKBALLS there are a ton of cutscenes. I don't have a problem with the story or anything and I don't like shoehorned in fights just for the sake of fighting but jfc I just want to punch the bad guys in the dick already.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

How many chapters are there? Looking for a general sense of time, not heavy spoilers

I've read anywhere between 19-21 depending on the path but I can't confirm. I'm on Chapter 11 now. So far I've spent 20+ hours but I spend a lot of extra time doing mock battles because combat is fun.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Zerilan posted:

How's the story writing in this game? Kinda on the fence about it and waiting to hear thoughts from people far in/near the end, since Octopath gave me a real strong first impression but I fell off on it midway.

I'm at about Chapter 15, and I don't think that the game's story is its strongest point. I don't think it's particularly bad, but it's nothing great either. That could just be me, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zerilan posted:

story feels very political intrigue 101 but it has its charms and some fun developments. i enjoy it on that front, and it seems to be improving in the late game.

the real weakness is the characters are overall lacking and could use more personality. its a bit disappointing but i wouldn't say it's an active detriment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
To me the story is the best part by miles. The choices presented are genuine ones that are solidly set up by the game and the motivations between the different sides are explored to an extent that I've not seen in a game. Even the surprises such that they are don't come out of nowhere.

You have to be able to tolerate the idea that you'll be reading / listening to a lot of dialogue but if you do then it's genuinely very interesting and I've been wondering what would have happened if I took a different path.

I'd definitely agree that the characters are the weakest part. Driven largely by the base cast being fairly broad and the extended cast being expansive.

That said you don't really need much beyond "Evil clown girl" as a character to have me on board.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh hey, Serenoa just recruited a child soldier.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The talking to combat ratio early on is a little exhausting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh hey, Serenoa just recruited a child soldier.

Serenoa's convictions have been strengthened.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the saintly seven lady and the enchanting dancer should kiss

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think the saintly seven lady and the enchanting dancer should kiss

But the former hates the later.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsterEnvy posted:

But the former hates the later.

have you ever heard of a little thing called "enemies to girlfriends"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Serenoa's convictions have been strengthened.

Pasting this into the corner of unrelated photos would be good meme material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

have you ever heard of a little thing called "enemies to girlfriends"