Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I beat Godrick and don't know whether to go North or East. I feel like the game is pushing me to go North towards the Lakes, but I explored that area semi-thoroughly and can't find the glintstone key I supposedly need to continue. Then again I must be missing something because I also still haven't found the map.

Any vague hints or advice that aren't too spoilery?

The key is surprisingly close on the open world map to the area it unlocks. There’s a map that shows you where at the door itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

volcano manor q:

is there another level in volcano manor proper that i am missing? or is it just the prison town lava area with the godskin boss

Orv
May 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

volcano manor q:

is there another level in volcano manor proper that i am missing? or is it just the prison town lava area with the godskin boss

There are two more bosses.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

Does the Volcano Manor line of quests lock out others? It seemed like something that would lead to a different ending and sounds PVP focused. I did the rune boss of that area anyway, but might follow the quest line if it doesn't have major consequences.

Too late I'm afraid. If you killed the boss, then the NPCs are gone. I did the first invasion quest since I had it activated from before doing the boss, but going back, there's no one left to talk to. Completionist approach here looks like doing all the faction quests and only then mopping up the dungeon.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

mancalamania posted:

I beat Godrick and don't know whether to go North or East. I feel like the game is pushing me to go North towards the Lakes, but I explored that area semi-thoroughly and can't find the glintstone key I supposedly need to continue. Then again I must be missing something because I also still haven't found the map.

Any vague hints or advice that aren't too spoilery?
There is a corpse next to the academy door that has a map to the 'meeting location', AKA the key.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this specific graphical issue but just in case: if you have an AMD card, turn on AMD Freesync and Radeon Anti-Lag, and that will get rid of the bright primary colour flickering that makes it look like your graphics card is dying

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The draconic tree sentinel, how the hell do you avoid the lightning? The horse can't outrun it, there seems to be an extra bit of lightning so you can't roll away, wtf am i missing here

you sneak behind him and blow poison mist up his rear end until he dies, gently caress that boss

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

mlmp08 posted:

I've been futzing about completely aimlessly, am level 21 or so, and the only boss I've fought were some easy demi-human Golbin lord bros. I spent a lot of time early on just sneaking, because I apparently bee-lined directly into a harder zone, skipping past all the baby-tier stuff after the Tree Sentinel murdered me. I still have no real idea what I'm doing, what's going on, etc, but oh well? Still fun.

I've been following this guide for what areas to do at what level/weapon power. It's been pretty spot on so far.

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Macaluso posted:

He somehow got wedged in a corner and I was able to cheese him that way

When you last posted you were but the learner, now you are the master.

Arist posted:

I'm level 82 and suspecting I might be outleveling the parts of the area I have to do next, namely the Volcano Manor and the Capital. Which of those two areas are easier, for the record? I'd like to do that one first so that I don't completely chump it after doing the hard one.

e: but I have Moonveil and the Mimic Tear already so that ship has probably already sailed lmao

Nah, you're fine. I saw a list that I more or less followed that was:

1-20 Limgrave and whatever the south is called
20-40 Stormveil and Cayelid/Lakes exterior
40-60 Academy/rest of Cayelid
60-80 Crater/Eternal City
80-100 Manor boss, Lake of Rot, Capital
100-120 Giants zone through the endgame

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So, has anyone found a downside to murdering all the shopkeepers to get their bearings and consolidating inventory at Roundtable's Hold?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ymgve posted:

Does the Volcano Manor line of quests lock out others? It seemed like something that would lead to a different ending and sounds PVP focused. I did the rune boss of that area anyway, but might follow the quest line if it doesn't have major consequences.

Nope, it doesn't lock anything out as far as I know. It's just a way to get some neat armor and an alternate way to get to the boss there.

There's really only one ending path that's exclusive with any of the others, and even that has a way to back out (though it's not easy).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Macaluso posted:

The draconic tree sentinel, how the hell do you avoid the lightning? The horse can't outrun it, there seems to be an extra bit of lightning so you can't roll away, wtf am i missing here

doing a running jump on the horse dodged it for me consistently

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Also to clear the question volcano manor sidequest locks nothing out. You can just lock yourself out on the entire quest line if you don't wait till almost the end of the game before killing the main boss since one of the targets is in the mountains. They did a pretty good job of not having sidequests block one another from completion in this game. Completing things that advance the world state can cut you of from sidequests though

Orv
May 4, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

So, has anyone found a downside to murdering all the shopkeepers to get their bearings and consolidating inventory at Roundtable's Hold?

Doesn’t seem to be one.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Is there a good cheese method for the boss of Castle Sol? He's just such crap

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

Doesn’t seem to be one.

My future playthroughs are going to be wild. :hehe:

kazil posted:

You mean, apart from the +10 Mimic Tear?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I finally beat Margit at level 37 as a pure mage, felt really good to not get owned. Already have +4 spell slots which is pretty sweet, and now two talisman slots. Still haven't found any amazing mage gear besides the gravity staff. Still leveling the demi-human staff as the stats aren't good enough to switch to it yet. Some of the mage armour sets I'm seeing online look amazing, but I think you don't find those until you are level 50+.

Also, my favorite Ashes so far are a tie between the spear skeletons, who rise up when killed just as they do to you, and the demi-human pack who are amazing at distracting the enemy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kazil posted:

A tanky summon (Lhutel, Greatshields, Mimic) and a broken weapon art (Moonveil, Hoarfrost Stomp.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait, does Rejection/Force not knock players around anymore? What's the point then?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I keep wanting to Respec to STR/fth for a paladin build but I just got the Wing of Astel and now I don't know what to do.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, does Rejection/Force not knock players around anymore? What's the point then?

Stance break.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man I love all the environmental "storytelling". You come across stuff and I'm constantly like "what's going on here? What's the deal here?" Like I was in the first idk layer of the captial, and there was this field that had been bombarded with, I assume, giant arrows. They were all just sticking out of the ground. What's going on there? What's up with that? I'm further into the capital now, all of the servants are just sitting there not even attacking me. They don't even look at me. What's happening around this gosh dang place? There's so much of that in this game, it's very cool. I'm excited to read the wiki in several months when folks have worked out what is going on in this world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Do AI write these articles or something? https://gamingintel.com/elden-ring-sorcery-spell-effects-locations-requirements/

Almost every detail in this article is wrong, from prices to requirements to location to even the number of spells listed

Very likely yes. There's a million of those sites with professional sounding names like that, they pop up whenever you google for something in a game. I'm pretty sure they're just there to scrape other sites, game the search algorithm, and then sell ads for as little cost as possible.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hamelekim posted:

I finally beat Margit at level 37 as a pure mage, felt really good to not get owned. Already have +4 spell slots which is pretty sweet, and now two talisman slots. Still haven't found any amazing mage gear besides the gravity staff. Still leveling the demi-human staff as the stats aren't good enough to switch to it yet. Some of the mage armour sets I'm seeing online look amazing, but I think you don't find those until you are level 50+.

Also, my favorite Ashes so far are a tie between the spear skeletons, who rise up when killed just as they do to you, and the demi-human pack who are amazing at distracting the enemy.

i mainlined that gravity staff after finding it super early following that teleport and havent stopped using it at level fifty. its spell adjust is just so drat high

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

psychoJ posted:

I have a general lore question for anybody who may know. What's up with those stone centipedes/caterpillars near the evergaols? What's their purpose?

as the resident lore expert, they're just cool little dudes

the evergaols mostly seem to hold bosses who are throwbacks to previous soulsborne games, in both mechanics and appearance. like there's a Boreal Knight and a Cainhurst Vileblood and so on, just cute little easter eggs. one or two of them seem to have plot-relevant NPCs that were involved in the conspiracy to steal the Rune of Death but none of them really talk to you or anything so it's hard to tell more than that

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ymgve posted:

You have to challenge fate and do the jump.

Well dang. So you can make it.

Is there a way up to that ledge? It'd lead to the second floor of the debate parlor; I dont really see any signs that suggest much is up there, but the door way leading from the balcony into the parlor seems suspicious:
https://i.imgur.com/Lx52yAn.png

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Duped the optional souls I want, grabbed everything else, maxed flask upgrades, level 200, but there was still something I needed to close out this playthrough. Something to bring it all full circle.

https://i.imgur.com/FywXk56.mp4

Rot in hell you shiny, magic-reflecting rear end in a top hat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Orv posted:

Doesn’t seem to be one.

Aw that sucks, I wish you'd start getting shopkeeper invasions or something, Santa even remarks like "We're unforgiving people" and stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Stance break.

Lol god drat it, I was trying to yeet people off cliffs

e: Also funny is I keep getting summoned by people who don't know what the red summon sign is. Poor guys

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 6, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Looking for some exploration hints regarding the Academy: I finished the area / cleared the boss, but there was a few spots I couldn't get to, and I'm not sure if I missed something, or if entry lies elsewhere (teleport): It looks like there's an upper floor/balcony to the Debate Parlor, as well, while crossing the rooftops in the area after the Debate Parlor, I saw an interior to a bell tower and some rooftops I couldn't figure out how to get to because the jump looked very much not possible, but they look in bounds because I saw an enemy over on them.

When you leave the debate room out into the big courtyard, immediately go right.

No idea about the rooftops though, I'm puzzled by that as well.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I love this game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Hamelekim posted:

Good news, there isn't really any. If you're using Carian Blade or Glintstone attacks then their respective staffs can be better after 10+ but after I got Lusat's staff to a decent level(+3 is when it changes to S Int scaling) it seemed to outperform everything else. I'm not sure why but magic is very frontloaded in terms of the good stuff.

Also you'll find the throw stones spell is useful for a lot of bosses because of the knockdown effect it builds up.

Mailer posted:

Rot in hell you shiny, magic-reflecting rear end in a top hat.
Every time I'd get to a new area and get a new spell I'd come back and try to take him out. Felt good pulling the trigger on him in just the same way.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 6, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hoarfrost Stomp is as insanely OP as they say. :wth: Got Radahn down on the first try just by spamming it. Having a huge powerful AoE attack that isn't like a once-per-rest cast is a new one for a Souls game. Some part of me feels like it's cheating but it just feels so satisfying that I don't want to stop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i've literally never been able to summon anyone online on ps4. i can see their names and portraits but every single summon fails with an error message. bloodstains also don't show ghosts. is this a universal experience on ps4?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Still haven't finished the game yet, but having fun with double MLGS

https://twitter.com/anvalvanzacht/status/1500529425997352961

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I finally added an ash to my weapon. A butt stomp. It's nearly one shotting all the bigger suit guys in the castle and staggers them enough to simply finish them off with a follow up strike.

I should have done this at the start, not 27 levels in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
anyways is there anything akin to a standard level for endgame PvP? i don't feel like rolling a new character for low-level stuff yet

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
The people are in Ordina deserve to be in their gaol. And frankly their punishment should be more severe for their behaviour in gaol.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

ymgve posted:

I mean the meteor attack he does before phase 2. I couldn't dodge out of it, and if I blocked I had a 50% chance of either dying or surviving with less than 20% of my health remaining. This was with 40 vit.

Get on horse, ride sideways from where he went up. I just full-speeded the horse and it ended up a fair bit away from me. Maybe also jump and/or change direction as it comes down? I don't know dawg, only had to fight him once and the meteor wasn't close. I just never stopped hauling rear end when he went up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Weedle posted:

i've literally never been able to summon anyone online on ps4. i can see their names and portraits but every single summon fails with an error message. bloodstains also don't show ghosts. is this a universal experience on ps4?
I've been summoning and being summoned on PS5 (which is the same server as PS4 I think) but there are a lot of failures for every success. I think it's just because someone else is nabbing the sign first. Are you going around and trying every single sign you see for like 2-3 minutes? I'd say given a group of 20 signs I might manage to summon one or two.