Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
can anyone who hasnt fought the mimic tear yet, please use the Mimic's Veil when you do? Just wanna see if it does anything special but missed my chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm starting to feel a little bad about putting my red sign next to the magma wyrm, rotten breathing on everyone, then flailing with carian slicer to finish people off

The grace is right there though so no harm no foul, right? :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

When you leave the debate room out into the big courtyard, immediately go right.

No idea about the rooftops though, I'm puzzled by that as well.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that.

As for the rooftops:
You just gotta make the jump here:
https://i.imgur.com/C2g1Mdx.jpg
I did it by running along the high side of the roof and aiming for the low side of the other roof.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What the gently caress is it with those knights in stormveil oh my god

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
of the 3 invasions i've attempted, 2 have crashed the game on the "invading another world..." message. very cool

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Really important to emphasize, again, that the stuff that seems “broken” isn’t an “I win” button forever and the poo poo they throw at you in the endgame will still absolutely gently caress you if you’re bad and leaning too much on your crutches.

Like Nightflame has serious windup on both its attacks that will get you killed, and moonveil still requires you to get into melee which can be a real motherfucker on bosses like Astel.

Hoarfrost is powerful but there are a bunch of enemies that have good counters (I’m lookin at you, Prawns). Those guys love to skitter sideways the second you hit them with the initial stomp and then blast you full of spikes.

And pretty much every build combo has access to those kinds of tools, which says to me that From’s answer to “how the hell am I supposed to beat poo poo like Godskin Duo?” is “make yourself swole and OP, young tarnished”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Volte posted:

I've been summoning and being summoned on PS5 (which is the same server as PS4 I think) but there are a lot of failures for every success. I think it's just because someone else is nabbing the sign first. Are you going around and trying every single sign you see for like 2-3 minutes? I'd say given a group of 20 signs I might manage to summon one or two.

every time i use a furled whatever i try every single sign i see and have had a 0% success rate so far

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Countblanc posted:

of the 3 invasions i've attempted, 2 have crashed the game on the "invading another world..." message. very cool

Yeah, it's very unstable, more than the last games were. The stability is pretty fine in a fight though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this game still owns and i'll play it forever even if i can never summon. but i'm mad because i got my gf to buy it and sign up for ps plus to play with me and neither of us can get it to work

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I thought I was smart because I used the Grace menu in the map to get to Roundtable but then i realized you can just press square.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Weedle posted:

this game still owns and i'll play it forever even if i can never summon. but i'm mad because i got my gf to buy it and sign up for ps plus to play with me and neither of us can get it to work

If you both set a password you’ll only see each other’s signs

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
And that's Elden Ring done. I went with the stars ending, which I suspect will be a pretty popular choice. It took 75 hours, and that's with skipping West Atlus entirely and only skimming over the map zones afterwards. Final boss wasn't as bad as I feared after reading the posts here - everything after the Beast Cleric was pretty much a cakewalk, in fact. I was pretty surprised but actually the biggest wall for me fighting solo was the Godskin Quintet Duo, despite the fact that all the previous Godskin Solos were pretty easy. Summoning another player completely trivialized it though.

Some random thoughts:

- The great rune system ended up being pretty underwhelming. I liked getting Godfrey's rune and was looking forward to having more options to choose from, but all the other ones I found were just... worse versions of Godfrey's? Maybe there are some cool optional runes I missed but the ones on the main path never felt worth using. Big boo for making one of them do literally nothing and just serve as a plot justification for why you can respec, it's not like anyone would have questioned it without that.

- I'm kind of torn on the open world, it's neat but it leads to a lot of reused content and catacombs that all blend together. I'm willing to cut it some slack considering how many more traditional Dark Souls zones there are, but I was always a fan of replaying the games with different builds, and this format makes that a lot less appealing.

- Crafting ingredients suck, I wish recipes just let you turn souls into things directly.

- On the plus side, ashes of war and freely swapping scaling options is great, I love that system.

- Cathedrals are so cool but so pointless. You get both rewards from the maybe one remembrance per playthrough that you care about, then just use the rest for more runes? There's not even cool lore hints inside?

- Shoutouts to the one really long catacomb where I burned through all my flasks at the start but was sustained by the people's love of waterslides, because it turns out people really love waterslides.

- Wait that says waterside, not slide, what the gently caress. I literally only noticed that now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

goblin week posted:

What the gently caress is it with those knights in stormveil oh my god

shield use in this game is a tale of two extremes

you're either barely using it because dodge roll is better given you lose stamina too fast or you're using it for guard counters non-stop

VanillaGorilla posted:

Really important to emphasize, again, that the stuff that seems “broken” isn’t an “I win” button forever and the poo poo they throw at you in the endgame will still absolutely gently caress you if you’re bad and leaning too much on your crutches.

Like Nightflame has serious windup on both its attacks that will get you killed, and moonveil still requires you to get into melee which can be a real motherfucker on bosses like Astel.

Hoarfrost is powerful but there are a bunch of enemies that have good counters (I’m lookin at you, Prawns). Those guys love to skitter sideways the second you hit them with the initial stomp and then blast you full of spikes.

And pretty much every build combo has access to those kinds of tools, which says to me that From’s answer to “how the hell am I supposed to beat poo poo like Godskin Duo?” is “make yourself swole and OP, young tarnished”

same as mentioned above, noticed that getting used to bleed on a weapon got me neglecting to use guard counter any more (not super effective on bosses but still) and having to get the timings down is still a bitch until the 10th or so death.

it's really more that I've leveled up vigor to 40 by level 57 (started as wretch) that's kept me alive for a lot of it. Combat skills are a big tradeoff between damage and survivability and I'm starting to think that maxing health is getting me to used to being able to take several hits before being at risk.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where's Patches scoot to after leaving his lovely cave? I want to buy the cracked red eye orbs he's got

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
RADANH COWARD BITCH

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Astel, Naturalborn is really cool looking, but also a complete chump? Either unlock and whack the legs or just plink with a bow, no struggle at all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

Where's Patches scoot to after leaving his lovely cave? I want to buy the cracked red eye orbs he's got

Look around the islands in liurnia. If you don't find him there you can find him in some mountains, just follow the glowing stones to wild riches

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Section Z posted:

:doh: I guess I was always so distracted by the birds chasing me and/or other enemies spamming attacks into the hallway I never noticed that particular one, and was making the short sprint from the lift room favoring "Into the boss room gogogo" *birds slashing blades through my invulnerable body*

How does an idiot like me ever make it through any Fromsoft game, yeesh.

I loved Stormveil at level... 27, I think I went there? I don't understand most of the posts people make about it, or at least I loved once all the rooms were there instead of being sucked into void holes. I found the place really easy to navigate, the birds were trivial to deal with (shoot em, they rush you, stab 'em, they're dead), the knights were fun to alternately fight/avoid except for the one in that one room that's a real rear end in a top hat but you can just grab his key and vamoose instead of fighting him. I did fight the giant once, but I don't remember having to fight him again - you can just unlock the door and skip past him even from the lift chamber, right? I really liked the jumping around on rooftops and all the jumps were surprisingly safe and easy (and you just kept going, which was great)

Only thing I didn't like was fighting the crucible knight and the swordmonster, but at least you only have to win those optional fights once and they are easy to cheese.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Village of the Albinaracs huh? Sounds like some crazy endgame place probably, i'll keep an eye out for it once i get to the Land of the Hell God's Blood or whatever

It's where? But i

i was just

i went all over that place i swear to god

Anyway, there's a lot of places in this game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

a kitten posted:

Village of the Albinaracs huh? Sounds like some crazy endgame place probably, i'll keep an eye out for it once i get to the Land of the Hell God's Blood or whatever

It's where? But i

i was just

That place terrified me so I decided to leave it and come back later. Turns out there's like eight enemies in the whole place and only the first one you see is hard go figure.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Patches, He told me that the Iron Maiden thing at the bottom of the water wheel in Raya Lucaria would teleport me if I got caught by it. I tried that and I just took damage. Is any of that true, or is it just Patches being Patches?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kawabata posted:

I think we just reached critical bullshit with Morgott. 7 hit combos with barely 2 seconds between them, kills you in 2 hits, has area damage, projectiles, one hit kill lunges in the second phase, a bazillion of hp and is incredibly mobile. Did they misplace that boss and meant to put it into bloodborne or sekiro, where you're not slow as gently caress and the combat mechanics aren't 13 years old? Sure looks that way.
your roll in this game is just as loving good as it is in bloodborne, and then you also have incredibly good shields to use. don't get it twisted

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Godskin Noble outfit is incredible, I don't think I'm taking this off. Hope I don't miss the poise of my last outfit.

a kitten posted:

It's where? But i

i was just

I found this place because I was looking to get to the area ABOVE it and to this day still have not found a way up. I am assuming it's a lategame area too by now haha, but the lesser village was one of the first places I found early on that kicked my rear end, pre-margit. There's a little flute man in the village up top who was one of my first bosses. He's not a boss at all, just at my level anything he did basically destroyed me, so had to be perfect and only had my dinky whatever sword and club.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of Patches, He told me that the Iron Maiden thing at the bottom of the water wheel in Raya Lucaria would teleport me if I got caught by it. I tried that and I just took damage. Is any of that true, or is it just Patches being Patches?

It's supposedly true but the same thing happened to me so who knows lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also, level more vigor if everything he's doing is twoshotting you. every discussion in this game gives me ds3 deja vu

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this weekend was supposed to be 48 hours of uninterrupted elden ring for cowcaster but i have played 0 hours because of “friends” and “doing things”. pray 4 cowcaster

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You have to die to the grab attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I just found the DS2 Ice Rapier

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

VanillaGorilla posted:

nah, Nebula and Mimic Tear absolutely destroyed everything through the optional bosses for me and is continuing to wreck poo poo in NG+

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

What stat should I focus on for hoarfrost stomp? Or is it just pure weapon level?

It appears to scale just off your weapon level.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One thing to remember about summons is people are snapping them up very fast oftentimes, most of my "Unable to summon" have been when I sat there and eyeballed the person, if I run and just mash to summon I've gotten them probably 80% of the time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's supposedly true but the same thing happened to me so who knows lol

It's actually true, which surprised me as well. It grabs you and kills you but after you die you teleport.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

skasion posted:

You need to use a furlcalling finger remedy (easily craftable) to see summon signs. Ideally near a site of grace or a summoning pool. You also need gods own reflexes to click the signs before 1000 other people do. Expect a lot of “unable to summon cooperator” because demand hugely outstrips supply.

To summon spirit ashes you need to have a certain key item. Go to Church of Elleh at night and an NPC should give it to you. Once you have that you can just use the ash item and your jellyfish will show up, assuming you have enough FP.

Okay, I got crafting figured out. But even though I got the bell from the NPC, the ash item remained greyed out when I add it to a pounch. And it doesn't appear to be an equipable spell (which is where I would assume it would go). Do they only show up for bosses?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, I got crafting figured out. But even though I got the bell from the NPC, the ash item remained greyed out when I add it to a pounch. And it doesn't appear to be an equipable spell (which is where I would assume it would go). Do they only show up for bosses?

You'll see a little ghostly doorway/archway symbol in like the middle left of your screen when they're available, otherwise yeah you just put them in a pocket and use them like an item.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Orv posted:

You have to die to the grab attack.

TeaJay posted:

It's actually true, which surprised me as well. It grabs you and kills you but after you die you teleport.

Ohhh i see, thanks!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Think I might spend the afternoon sunbroing.

Souls multiplayer is so good. I love being able to just jump in and out everyones personal games to help out, and it's just addictive to keep doing over and over getting your own muscle memory better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How many evergaol are there? Beginning to knock things out a few things before making the final push to end this first playthrough. Figured I could knock those out and a few other things before the end.

Speaking of the end: does it dump you into NG+ or do you have the choice to start a new playthrough after? and for NG+ what carries over? Just gear or do upgrade materials and resources carry over too? I can’t imagine the bells for the merchants carry so if I need to go on a shopping spree I’ll need to do that too

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also i haven't had the chance to verify this myself but reportedly, killing the little stone dudes has some kind of effect on the health / stats of the enemy inside the gaol

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Gotta die in it. Did it today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How many evergaol are there? Beginning to knock things out a few things before making the final push to end this first playthrough. Figured I could knock those out and a few other things before the end.

Speaking of the end: does it dump you into NG+ or do you have the choice to start a new playthrough after? and for NG+ what carries over? Just gear or do upgrade materials and resources carry over too? I can’t imagine the bells for the merchants carry so if I need to go on a shopping spree I’ll need to do that too

You get a choice to start NG+ immediately or wait and start at your leisure. You keep everything non-key item and the vendors all reset.