Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's supposedly true but the same thing happened to me so who knows lol

100% true, you just have to die I guess? Either way, it grabbed me, killed me and I woke up at the bottom of Volcano Manor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What are the opinions regarding the nightrider flail and ashes of war? Should I just leave it as is, or put something on it.

I'm currently 40/40 STR DEX quality.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Orv posted:

You get a choice to start NG+ immediately or wait and start at your leisure. You keep everything non-key item and the vendors all reset.

Bell Bearings you've given to the husk maiden don't carry over, correct?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Beat the game. 84 hours, level 119. My maxed out Pizza Cutter was a wonderful asset most of the game, also with occasionally my Hoarfrost Stompy Greatsword. My T-1000 was the real MVP though.

I feel really conflicted. For about 75% of my playthrough, I thought this was Miyazaki & Company's magnum opus, a grand fusion realizing the dream Miyazaki seems to have been riffing from for so long. The world building, the environmental stories, the mystery, the scope and grandeur... Around every bend, something magical and weird and amazing was happening. Elden Ring has some of the most amazing settings I've ever seen or explored, like Siofra and Nokron and Crumbling Farum Azula, to say nothing of the quiet beauty of Altus's windmill areas or the majesty of Leyndell or Stormveil.

This really feels like a world that is lived in, that has groups of people living together, in conflict and in community, struggling against a dying world. If I'm honest and set my nostalgia aside, that first visit into Anor Londo has nothing on like seven or eight different jaw-dropping locales in ER.

Plus, the addition of Ashes of War and Spirit Summons along with flask regen via killing mobs really reinvigorated the moment to moment combat. The horse was a great touch and elevated the exploration quite a bit for me.

That said... by the end of the game, I just wanted it to be over. I was exhausted by my journey and every new boss really started to wear me out. By the time I got to Beast Cleric in CFA I was just like "Please just let me get this over with. And then it was just a relentless gauntlet from Ofnir to Godfrey (loved the pro wrestling moves) to Radagon to that loving Elden Beast. I would've killed for a toggle for a "Tired Parent Mode" that just deducted 2/3rds of a boss's health bar. Especially for that loving rear end in a top hat in the Wailing Dunes. I'm still salty about all aspects of his design.

I had also completely lost the plot by this point, I didn't really understand why I was doing the things I was doing or why these people were fighting me. Like, Gideon Ofnir went from my battle grandpa to my enemy when it seemed like he didn't care back at Roundtable? And then Godfrey came back to life somehow? I thought he'd been assassinated which kicked this whole thing off? And what was Radagon doing in the tree? Fixing it? Fixing what? I'm not even clear on what the Shattering meant. And is Destined Death just referring to that the demigods can't die and that's why they are corrupted?. Like, I don't even really understand the implications of my ending other than I get to be the housewife for a new goddess I guess? Which, hey, I'm into it.

Now... I did burn myself out. 84 hours in 9 days is a LOT of game playing. I guzzled this game and maybe that was the wrong way to do it. It was just so addictive for so much of it that I hardly noticed I was getting a hangover. I got REALLY tired of boss battles in general, something that is generally supposed to be a highlight for these games. I don't know if I'm growing apart from From's Boss Style or if I just did too much too fast and a 2nd leisurely run would feel different. I was just getting really bitter about having to learn fights after awhile. Just let me win, fuckers!

In short, for me, Elden Ring was some of FROM's very best work and also had some of the most tedious unfun bullshit they've ever crafted. The highs were the highest I've ever had with them, and the lows the deepest pits. I suspect I will still replay this a few times, especially trying out magic and eventually mods. I missed a bunch of quests and I would love to see what kind of shenanigans I can get up to now that I know the game pretty well.

My big question is where does Miyazaki go from here? What dreamscapes does he have left to conquer? Did this satisfy his dark fantasy designs or is there even more bizarre stuff in there?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looking around for Radahn but I cant find the motherfucker (not looking for the answer). Seems strange given he's the size of a city block.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

codo27 posted:

Looking around for Radahn but I cant find the motherfucker (not looking for the answer). Seems strange given he's the size of a city block.

He's in my pants op

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yardbomb posted:

One thing to remember about summons is people are snapping them up very fast oftentimes, most of my "Unable to summon" have been when I sat there and eyeballed the person, if I run and just mash to summon I've gotten them probably 80% of the time.

Every boss I beat I try and assist a couple people immediately after even if I didn't use a summon myself. There seems to be a huge demand and it's nice to take a couple victory laps and get some extra souls for the trouble.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
What spiteful dev put two crucible knights so close to each other on the way to the gargoyle boss. Do either of them drop anything? Or just the goodfeels of making them go away?

Also, gently caress those gargoyles. That AOE is absurd

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

goferchan posted:

Bell Bearings you've given to the husk maiden don't carry over, correct?

correct, unfortunately. stock up before you leave.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lite_sleepr posted:

What are the opinions regarding the nightrider flail and ashes of war? Should I just leave it as is, or put something on it.

I'm currently 40/40 STR DEX quality.
IMO it's best Keen on a full dex build

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I stepped unto an elevator, and it took me to a cosmic cave full of minotaur ghosts. I don't like it down here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao hoarfrost stomp

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That Dang Dad posted:

My big question is where does Miyazaki go from here? What dreamscapes does he have left to conquer? Did this satisfy his dark fantasy designs or is there even more bizarre stuff in there?

this was basically "all of From Software's medieval-to-renaissance games take place in the same continuity" so obviously the next step is to make an Armored Core game where your character is an undying clone who has to rekindle the stars

e: or Metal Wolf Chaos

"A LOWLY VOTER? PLAYING AT PRESIDENT OF THIS GREAT UNITED STATES? I COMMAND THEE, SUCK ON MY MISSILE PUNCH!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FishMcCool posted:

So, has anyone found a downside to murdering all the shopkeepers to get their bearings and consolidating inventory at Roundtable's Hold?

umm... i mean...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God I want the full invader item so bad now. Even being summoned with my sign into traps I'm winning 1v3s

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/dsamowen/status/1500487947681939459?t=LBMguqiB49jDY1arVvunJw&s=19

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this was basically "all of From Software's medieval-to-renaissance games take place in the same continuity" so obviously the next step is to make an Armored Core game where your character is an undying clone who has to rekindle the stars

e: or Metal Wolf Chaos

"A LOWLY VOTER? PLAYING AT PRESIDENT OF THIS GREAT UNITED STATES? I COMMAND THEE, SUCK ON MY MISSILE PUNCH!"

I'm calling it now, the spirit summons in Elden Ring are a dry run for a new Lost Kingdom.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

this weekend was supposed to be 48 hours of uninterrupted elden ring for cowcaster but i have played 0 hours because of “friends” and “doing things”. pray 4 cowcaster

gotta friend's bday thing tonight and i'm like why couldn't you be born 2 weeks later?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hate the music in this game, since when the hell do souls games have music outside hubs, boss rooms and big ponderous locales that defy the expectations for the laws of reality in the game and upend the lore on its head

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is a "critical" any time you go into the invulnerable animation? Backstabs, ripostes, staggers?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I hate the music in this game, since when the hell do souls games have music outside hubs, boss rooms and big ponderous locales that defy the expectations for the laws of reality in the game and upend the lore on its head

Sorry it’s really good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

That Dang Dad posted:

I had also completely lost the plot by this point, I didn't really understand why I was doing the things I was doing or why these people were fighting me. Like, Gideon Ofnir went from my battle grandpa to my enemy when it seemed like he didn't care back at Roundtable? .

i can't speak to the rest of your complaints but this just isn't paying attention. it was made clear over and over again that ofnir was an ambition-crazed bastard who'd been ruining lives left and right in his pursuit of lordship. not only was he bound to betray you, he betrayed you prematurely when ensha jumped the gun after you got the haligtree medallion half

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Orv posted:

Sorry it’s really good.

The music in stormveil castle sucks, it's putting me to sleep

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i can't speak to the rest of your complaints but this just isn't paying attention. it was made clear over and over again that ofnir was an ambition-crazed bastard who'd been ruining lives left and right in his pursuit of lordship. not only was he bound to betray you, he betrayed you prematurely when ensha jumped the gun after you got the haligtree medallion half

Yeah basically every line he has has an unspoken “…until it’s my time to gently caress you over” after it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That Dang Dad posted:

Elden Ring but set in modern times. Let me fight the Twisted Plane Gargoyles in the inverted Two Towers. Let me fight dead presidents lurking the ruins of the Capital. And maybe instead of starting fires or putting out fires or fingering rings or whatever -- this time we go on a journey of connection, forge the bonds between people that make the world go round, relink the disconnected, maybe help rebuild Anor America.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
This game is all over the place with rune rewards for beating mini bosses. One hag tree avatar 90k one later one in a higher level area 27k.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The music in stormveil castle sucks, it's putting me to sleep

there's a hp bar for the music in the menu. another trick the game doesn't tell you is that your second and third monitors can play music or tv shows while you play.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Steam says only 1.3% of players have defeated Mohg, the Omen. A little surprising because I had no trouble down there yesterday getting summoned or finding summons for him. Maybe just me and 12 other people all beating him same time. ONe of them was someone who had helped me advance in a previous part of pre-dungeon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Elden Ring but set in modern times. Let me fight the Twisted Plane Gargoyles in the inverted Two Towers. Let me fight dead presidents lurking the ruins of the Capital. And maybe instead of starting fires or putting out fires or fingering rings or whatever -- this time we go on a journey of connection, forge the bonds between people that make the world go round, relink the disconnected, maybe help rebuild Anor America.

:hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Steam says only 1.3% of players have defeated Mohg, the Omen. A little surprising because I had no trouble down there yesterday getting summoned or finding summons for him. Maybe just me and 12 other people all beating him same time. ONe of them was someone who had helped me advance in a previous part of pre-dungeon.

That one I think is more hidden than hard for the purposes of achievement stats.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

No; I assumed because the entry point was in Limgrave / they told me to go to Mistwood, it wouldn't be tied to Caelid.

If you're searching around siofra then it'll be blaidd you're looking for, the quest will explicitly tell you when you have to go after the caelid boss

Blaidd should be standing near the edge of the pillars that lead towards the unreachable lit up temple; if you go to the deer grounds and just progress along the edge of the cliffs you'll find him near the horse jump

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is a "critical" any time you go into the invulnerable animation? Backstabs, ripostes, staggers?

Any time you hear that DOONG sound

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

I have no idea what that is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is capital end game? In so scared to go in there! I beat the Double Tree Sentinels but I don’t wanna finish the game early. Still gotta beat volcano, still need to snow land.

Just got Darkmoon GS so gonna respec and conquer the rest but I wanna do everything.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

That Dang Dad posted:

Now... I did burn myself out. 84 hours in 9 days is a LOT of game playing. I guzzled this game and maybe that was the wrong way to do it. It was just so addictive for so much of it that I hardly noticed I was getting a hangover. I got REALLY tired of boss battles in general, something that is generally supposed to be a highlight for these games. I don't know if I'm growing apart from From's Boss Style or if I just did too much too fast and a 2nd leisurely run would feel different. I was just getting really bitter about having to learn fights after awhile. Just let me win, fuckers!

I got the exact same feeling, except not so much "let me win" but missing the relatively clean, forced boss confrontations that were highlights but also earned and had strong, unique identities. Dancer and Gael being up there with being in a way very structured, clean fights that still end up challenging - and even others, that are a bit more bombast and less raw technical challenge, like Midir, Demon Prince(s) and Twin Princes, were still heavy on the technical gameplay.

You could always cheese your way past Souls bosses - to say you were playing Souls without actually doing the growing and learning bits. But the later parts of Elden Ring kind of slide you into that spot, where 3 things line up: The absolute glut of bosses in rapid succession, the more muddled design of some of these encounters, and the rapid power-explosion come midgame.

Before, it was fairly clearly: The challenge levels were in order: no upgrades, SL1, under/normal leveled, with NPC summons, with coop summons, and finally drastically overleveled and with summons. Now, it's somewhat unclear: Am I supposed to fight the guy in the rot by myself? How much damage is it appropriate to do? Was stacking bleed rapidly considered when these bosses were made? What about other weapon arts? What about quickstepping all day long? Indomitable will for free hits? Bubble flask and poise to smash a boss to 20% before he ever moves? Stacking stagger buffs until I can just crit them the whole fight? Mimic tear of a guy who already has 1600 hp at level 70? All of those at once?

The mid and lategame is just feeling a lot more like a hack-and-slash than Souls, really. It was always a little this way in the regular mob encounters, but not this drastically for the bosses.

That said, this was the only time in ages I've marveled at a (functionally) single player game and really been engrossed exploring a vidya game world like this. It is a fantastic game, although it would be immaculate if the balancing had some of the restraint of the older Souls titles. Those already broke fairly readily, but never to this confusing a degree.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Is capital end game? In so scared to go in there! I beat the Double Tree Sentinels but I don’t wanna finish the game early. Still gotta beat volcano, still need to snow land.

Just got Darkmoon GS so gonna respec and conquer the rest but I wanna do everything.

If you rushed the critical path you could finish the game a few hours after the capitol. But no it’s just another area.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Orv posted:

That one I think is more hidden than hard for the purposes of achievement stats.

Definitely, you have to go about some tricky stuff to actually get the item to go to him and most people are probably still like "MARGIT'S REAL HARD"

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Malenia was insane. Most of her stuff is standard learnable patterns that you can dodge, but that waterfowl slash... In something like 40 attempts I didn't fully avoid it once, and I haven't seen a video of anyone taking no damage from it that wasn't partially blocked by a shield. One guy came close and got tagged only once, but that attack is ridiculous.

Think I'm in the home stretch, but I have an item I found in a sewer that can shackle Mohg, who I assume is the unnamed Lord of Blood. I'll be looking for wherever he might be hiding before I set the tree on fire. Miquela also maybe hiding out there? I dunno where, though, there's very little I haven't explored at this point. I don't think I finished Ranni's questline either. I got the ring out of the chest in Rennala's room, and I killed Blaidd, but it must go further than that, surely?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This one got me real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Orv posted:

If you rushed the critical path you could finish the game a few hours after the capitol. But no it’s just another area.

Phew ok. That’ll be my next place then. Thank you!