Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for serving turtle soup at a dinner?

The only other argument over turtle soup I know about resulted in a country singer shooting a man in the head while at a bar.

Turtle soup is serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Oh yeah that's absolutely trafficking attempt or something real bad.

He's rear end in a top hat for kicking everyone out but emotionally I can understand. I'd love some turtle soup, and it'd suck to spend all this time making food for people to instantly hate it because whoa what the?! It's 'ot pork chicken or beef?!

Turtle soup is good, those people are giant babies

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Turtles also fall on the odd animal spectrum where they are both pets and food. If the dude offered horse burgers, I'm sure people would still freak out.

AITA for refusing to babysit my niece and nephew so my husband and his sister and her spouse could go day-drink

quote:

My husband’s family lived in a state 3,000 away from us. His mother and brother would only come to see us if we purchased their plane tickets, his sister never came to see us, we were always expected to go to her. I finally put my foot down, and refused to go visit her until she made the effort to come see us.

A few years later, my out of the blue informs me his sister, her spouse and their two kids are visiting in less than a week. I suspect he had known for awhile, just didn’t mention it. My husband and his sisters relationship has always been odd, he won’t talk to her on the phone in front of me, always takes the phone out of the room, buys her presents that cost twice what he spends on me, spends a lot of thought on her gifts, while mine come from the pawn shop the day of the event.

Over the next 4 days, I clean, plan meals and activities. The day they are to arrive, The husband says they’ll be staying 20 miles from our house in a luxury hotel in the center of the city (think Atlanta-sized). There are 4 of them and three of us, which means 2 vehicles are needed to travel as a group, with traffic being unavoidable. On top of this our daughter (14) has a band event over the weekend and will need rides both Saturday and Sunday. We all go out to dinner the first night they’re in town, I suggest a few activities, no one seems interested. After dinner I take our daughter and go home, my spouse takes the 4 of them to their hotel, or so I think, until he shows up at the house several hours later with both of their kids and announces he wants to spend time with them. He’s obviously had more to drink since dinner. After about 10 minutes he goes to bed leaving me to entertain his niece and nephew.

The next morning I get ready to take my daughter to her band competition, but before I leave I wake up my husband to tell him I’m leaving and he suggests I take his niece and nephew with me because they’d love to see more of the area, and I agree. When I get back my husband is gone. I call him and ask where he is and he tells me he and his sister and her husband are out doing adult themed activities for the day, and since I’m tied up with our daughter and her competition, they didn’t think I’d mind keeping his niece and nephew, especially seeing as the 6 of us wouldn’t fit in either car anyways. We had a quiet argument since I didn’t want the kids to hear, at the end of which he hung up on me. Using my phone I determined his location, packed up the two kids and drove there, drove around until I located the car at a brewery, took the kids into the bar where their parents and my husband were and left them. When my husband started blowing up my phone, I reported his as stolen and turned it off. Now my husband isn’t speaking to me and his sister flew home early. AITA?

Edit: you guys are all over me for the time line. This event happened when my now 19 year old daughter was 14, so 5 years ago. The two kids in question are my STBX sister’s children, and good kids, they weren’t the problem. My only other post was about my brother’s daughter, and that event occurred in 2014 or 2015, she was a freshman in college, and 18 I believe. I filed for divorce in October 2020, it’s on-going. Haven’t spoken to STBX since the day he was removed from the residence. I post to this forum because over the years I’ve often wondered if I was the problem, years of being gaslit by a narc will do that to you, leave you doubting yourself. So I decided to post some of the events that occurred during my 20 year marriage and get a general consensus from a bunch of experts. Thank you you all for your responses.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for Refusing to Enable my Husband?

quote:

I (41F) have come to realize that my husband had been enabled his whole life. He had girls do his homework for him, his step mom had to fight with schools to get him to graduate, his good friends who were girls would take his money and buy clothes for him. I mean the list goes on and on. We have been together for 15 years and I was part of the enablement cause I didn't even realize it was happening. He thinks I should be responsible for remembering his passwords, setting up his new phones, basically anything electronic. Doesn't know how to Google to research things, but is able to download games and tic tok.. this dude is totally capable but no one in his life has ever forced him to do things himself.

His mother is an abusive woman who I have had little to no contact with for years due to refusing to deal with her pulling BS on me once. I dont play that game with anyone.

With that said he has 2 siblings and all three of them behave like children towards eachother. I cant blame them so much as they grew up in an abusive household. However last spring his sister who is POA and health care proxy wasn't doing well in his moms care (supposedly). My husband's aunt decided she and my husband should take over as proxy and he didn't talk to me about it first. When he told me, I said "I understand that it's your mom and you want to help. But you work 16 hour days, we have a 5 year old, I work and am the primary parent for our child. Your aunt only lives in this area for 4 months out of the year and her care in some way will end up falling onto me." He of course said that wouldn't happen.

Fast forward to 1.5 months ago, there I am researching nursing homes, contacting nursing homes about applications and bed availabilities, looking up medicaid information, being the point of contact between him and his sister.

Finally I snapped and said that he and his sister need to grow up and work together to help their mother and I would never ask him or anyone else to do this for my mother. So he said ok and now nothing is getting done.

Today he needed for me to check his email and print out forms for an appointment for his mother. Then after it's filled out I have to scan and email it back to the place. He didn't want to ask me to fill out the forms so he told me he was going to have his mom do it. The woman who refuses medical treatment all the time.

Here is where i may be the rear end in a top hat, I flipped and said "You have been enabled all your life to have everyone else do things for you. You are perfectly capable of filling out paperwork and you are really going to pass it off to your mom who is combative and refuses all med treatments, which is why her Healthcare proxy is invoked? Don't ask me to do the paperwork, you need to learn how to do things yourself." And then I walked out.

AITA for not enabling him but also not helping?

Update: after I cooled down I went back in and there he was, filling out the paperwork himself. He did everything but a couple things he needed to get info on from her assisted living and he was very proud of himself 🙄.

That stranger things screencap of the lil white boy yelling 'abort!' except replace 'abort!' with 'WHY THE gently caress DID YOU MARRY THIS SAD WASTE OF OXYGEN!?'.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

mediaphage posted:

lol turtle soup has been widely eaten in america over the years, it's just fallen out of favour outside of sportsman/hillbilly circles

regardless

"argument to which I was told I was "a fool if I thought anybody likes turtle soup"."

is not a cool thing to say to someone who made you dinner. full stop.

That's exactly my point that the vast majority of Americans nowadays don't eat turtles and probably don't know anybody who does either. In America most people think of turtles as either cartoon ninjas or pets, it's not very thoughtful to expect people to eat meat from a "pet" animal.

Regardless, maybe the guests were assholes about it too I don't know I wasn't there but it sounds like this guy got pretty emotional so he was being pretty uncool about it too.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Oh yeah that's absolutely trafficking attempt or something real bad.

He's rear end in a top hat for kicking everyone out but emotionally I can understand. I'd love some turtle soup, and it'd suck to spend all this time making food for people to instantly hate it because whoa what the?! It's 'ot pork chicken or beef?!

This is not to say that human trafficking is not a serious issue throughout the world/america but the idea that random people are getting kidnapped and sold like that is very very stupid and many of the groups that push this idea have ties to Quanon conspiracy poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Funktastic posted:

AITA turning away a woman knocking at my door in the middle of the night looking for help?

Mental health crisis or she’s scoping it out (from comments OP emphasized that she was insistent on coming inside) either way not some one you want inside your house.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Human Tornada posted:

That's exactly my point that the vast majority of Americans nowadays don't eat turtles and probably don't know anybody who does either. In America most people think of turtles as either cartoon ninjas or pets, it's not very thoughtful to expect people to eat meat from a "pet" animal.

Regardless, maybe the guests were assholes about it too I don't know I wasn't there but it sounds like this guy got pretty emotional so he was being pretty uncool about it too.

i don't think for a second that most people think of turtles as pets any more than other wild animals. i think they're probably conflating the "cute sweet sea turtles" we see videos of on the internet versus a (shockingly fast) snapper that'll take off your hand

those people are children

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for Refusing to Enable my Husband?

Sometimes I worry about these people who are just in a 15-year committed relationship with someone who has no apparent redeeming qualities

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

E nv basically saying the same thing

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

This is not to say that human trafficking is not a serious issue throughout the world/america but the idea that random people are getting kidnapped and sold like that is very very stupid and many of the groups that push this idea have ties to Quanon conspiracy poo poo.

Yeah I'll admit I've picked this up in passing from rare, random youtubes about whoa, scary things around the word caught on camera door bells, so the trafficking bit might be full of poo poo, for the clicks. Do you have any article links or info about the qanon stuff you mentioned? I don't doubt you, but I'm interested in knowing this better so I'm not repeating hateful conspiracy poo poo like flat earth antisemitism. Thank you, if you do.

Also perhaps people aren't enthused about the turtle soup because they assume it's from animal hunting, and who knows what heavy metals or such the animal has picked up over its lifespan. But there are turtle meat farms, and I assume the OP had purchased meat from there. I don't know what they live, but for example.

quote:

Turtle Meat - Boneless 2 lb

Brand: Craig Borges Seafood
Product Code: 5174

$69.99 $45.99
6 or more $42.99

https://www.cajungrocer.com/turtle-meat-boneless

Sucks those people didn't care for gourmet meals.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Yeah I'll admit I've picked this up in passing from rare, random youtubes about whoa, scary things around the word caught on camera door bells, so the trafficking bit might be full of poo poo, for the clicks. Do you have any article links or info about the qanon stuff you mentioned? I don't doubt you, but I'm interested in knowing this better so I'm not repeating hateful conspiracy poo poo like flat earth antisemitism. Thank you, if you do.

Also perhaps people aren't enthused about the turtle soup because they assume it's from animal hunting, and who knows what heavy metals or such the animal has picked up over its lifespan. But there are turtle meat farms, and I assume the OP had purchased meat from there. I don't know what they live, but for example.

https://www.cajungrocer.com/turtle-meat-boneless

Sucks those people didn't care for gourmet meals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...adcast-mma-news

Don't judge the fact that it's from an MMA site, the article is very well researched and this is a charity that gets a lot of push in the MMA/Joe Rogan influence sphere

And one thing that is always a huge red flag is whenever "news sites" push headlines about a US Marshal run operation that uncovers trafficked children. Usually if you actually research what the operation is it turns out to be a warrant sweep. The Marshals deputize local law enforcement into task forces that handle warrants for county/state courts and they will regularly run warrant sweeps that will include stuff like delinquent child support payments or what have you. Because it's family court stuff you usually have kids involved and they will count kids that just get turned over to other family members as kids that were rescued.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 6, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...adcast-mma-news

Don't judge the fact that it's from an MMA site, the article is very well researched and this is a charity that gets a lot of push in the MMA/Joe Rogan influence sphere

And one thing that is always a huge red flag is whenever "news sites" push headlines about a US Marshal run operation that uncovers trafficked children. Usually if you actually research what the operation is it turns out to be a warrant sweep. The Marshals deputize local law enforcement into task forces that handle warrants for county/state courts and they will regularly run warrant sweeps that will include stuff like delinquent child support payments or what have you. Because it's family court stuff you usually have kids involved and they will count kids that just get turned over to other family members as kids that were rescued.

Oh. Ok it's an extension of 'global elites' aka Jewish people kidnapping children for blood libel and other poo poo. And more charities being full of poo poo about what they do. Jesus christ. What you said makes more sense than 'ding dong ditchers are going to steal your kidneys'. Thank you for correcting me, I feel awful for spreading that conspiracy poo poo, and appreciate the link.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If you've been socially conditioned for two plus decades to not think of a certain animal (or even reptiles as a whole) as food, it doesn't make you a child or a baby to not want to eat that animal. Would you call someone a baby who doesn't want to eat monkey or cat or hamster meat?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whoah whoah whoah whoah whoah please do not tell me there are people who are so hungry they eat little buddies :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've heard that in America, if a car flashes its high beams twice, that is a trafficker signaling his fellow traffickers that he has found a mark, which means that logically, there are so many traffickers on the road that any time you are in a car, you are within sight of at least two of them. It's a wonder census data doesn't represent the thousands of people that are kidnapped every day, I guess they must be in on it too. It sounds like a terrifying place to live.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

If you've been socially conditioned for two plus decades to not think of a certain animal (or even reptiles as a whole) as food, it doesn't make you a child or a baby to not want to eat that animal. Would you call someone a baby who doesn't want to eat monkey or cat or hamster meat?

yes, because of how they responded. obviously these posts only get one side of an argument, but this is pretty specific:

"argument to which I was told I was "a fool if I thought anybody likes turtle soup"."

which i brought up before. that's just being an rear end in a top hat to be an rear end in a top hat. there's definitely a way to be like, "i'm sorry you clearly put a lot of work into this but i don't think i can be comfortable eating this," or somesuch. the fool line is very telling.

so yeah, everyone was children about this. op was an rear end, too, but not as bad as the others. again, turtle is still eaten in nontrivial of the US and just because you feel like you've been "socially conditioned" doesn't mean it's an inappropriate choice

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

precision posted:

whoah whoah whoah whoah whoah please do not tell me there are people who are so hungry they eat little buddies :(

what are hamsters if not the Cornish game hen to the guinea pig's cuy?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

INFO: were all of your guests wearing floor-length trench coats, and did they all happened to be named after Renaissance painters?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for letting my mother die?

quote:

First a little background info. My family is extremely religious (Mormon). Like purity ring religious but luckily me (27f) and my siblings went to a public school. Where I met my now husband (28m) when we were around 13/14. To my parents extreme dismay he was raised by two gay dads and is Asian. They tried to keep me from seeing him and forbid me to talk to him but we became friends immediately and later started dating.

That's when my twin sister decided to tell my family that I had slept with him which led to them kicking me out at 17.

Luckily my boyfriends family helped me. I haven't spoken to my family since.

Skipping to today, my husband I have have been happily married for 2 years and we have a 5 month old daughter together.

Then a week ago I get a call from my mother telling me that she was diagnosed with cancer and needs a kidney transplant. My twin sister (we are identical) is a perfect match but since she is 3 months pregnant she can't donate. So I would have to do it. I hung up on her.

She has called me 67 times since then and my entire family has been harassing me online. My twin sister even found out my address and showed up at my door telling me that I was letting my mother die because I was petty over the fact that they didn't like my insert slur husband.

My husband and his family support me 100% and I think I am ok with my decision to ignore my mother but what do you guys think, AITA?

no, i can't go on dialysis until your sister can donate to me, do you really think i'd steal an organ from the child i like?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Breetai posted:

INFO: were all of your guests wearing floor-length trench coats, and did they all happened to be named after Renaissance painters?

excuse me, my son's name is also donatello

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

no, i can't go on dialysis until your sister can donate to me, do you really think i'd steal an organ from the child i like?

haha SUCK IT

good on op just hanging up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Good on OP, but also purestrain misleading title

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Foo Diddley posted:

Have we had the Give Me Your Organs yet?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Foo Diddley posted:

NTA. in fact I think she has the privilege of going full Dr. evil

"you had your chance.... you blew it"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We have. It is from this thread I learned that there allegedly is a standard procedure when being tested for compatibility, that you can tell the doctor you are being coerced and they will report that you are not a match or otherwise incapable of donating.

Dunno how that'd apply when you have an identical twin who is deemed a match, but OP there needs a restraining order more than she does a doctor's note.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

mediaphage posted:

yes, because of how they responded. obviously these posts only get one side of an argument, but this is pretty specific:

which i brought up before. that's just being an rear end in a top hat to be an rear end in a top hat. there's definitely a way to be like, "i'm sorry you clearly put a lot of work into this but i don't think i can be comfortable eating this," or somesuch. the fool line is very telling.

so yeah, everyone was children about this. op was an rear end, too, but not as bad as the others. again, turtle is still eaten in nontrivial of the US and just because you feel like you've been "socially conditioned" doesn't mean it's an inappropriate choice

From the OP's telling of it, it sounds like everybody politely declined, the OP pushed and they stood their ground, he was "really mad" and stewed about it for the rest of dinner, OP brought it up again, an argument ensued, and then he was called a fool. People are only going to be decorous for so long before they tell you to shut up about your stupid turtle soup.

And turtle soup is absolutely an inappropriate choice to spring on a group of your average twenty-something Americans for a dinner party.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Leaving aside the whole "age disproportion :sever: this instant" you cannot fix somebody else's weight. Boyfriend has decided that he's not going to obey his doctor's advice, time to drop it. And him.

Whining about "bad foods" when the problem looks a fuckload more like mental health is so 22y dumb. The 41y dating a 22y can't be surprised she's a child though. It's such a firm ESH it's impressive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

endlessmonotony posted:

Whining about "bad foods" when the problem looks a fuckload more like mental health is so 22y dumb. The 41y dating a 22y can't be surprised she's a child though. It's such a firm ESH it's impressive.

It doesn't look like mental health, it looks like "I know I need to do stuff, but effort, so you make me do it but I'll blame you for nagging." Which is a common enough pattern.

Turtle soup guy could, in a better-run universe, have said "Wow, I grew up eating this, I had no idea it would bother everybody. Tonight we'll be having scrambled eggs, and I promise no turtle in it." Then freeze the leftover soup and have it with better people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It doesn't look like mental health, it looks like "I know I need to do stuff, but effort, so you make me do it but I'll blame you for nagging." Which is a common enough pattern.

That kind of bouncing around? That ain't right. It needs a doctor to manage it, not someone 22y and well out of their depth. Especially not with ideas that misguided about weight loss and health.

And the 22y stressing out that badly over someone else's health and making long term plans like they have speaks volumes, but it's entirely in semaphore.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Turtle soup guy could, in a better-run universe, have said "Wow, I grew up eating this, I had no idea it would bother everybody. Tonight we'll be having scrambled eggs, and I promise no turtle in it." Then freeze the leftover soup and have it with better people.

lol

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I couldn't decide between these two, so here are both of them!

AITA for helping my girlfriend's bully get home safe?

quote:

I (24M) went on a night out with my new girlfriend Hannah (27F) and a few of her friends. When we were at our table we noticed some loud women a few tables down. Hannah and her friends were worried because they were the girls who picked on them at school. We decided to stick around for the moment as long as they didn't notice us, and leave if there was any trouble.

Hannah came back later, and said she'd bumped into Nicole (her main bully) at the bar, who tried to pick on her again and called her by the awful name those girls made up for her. We decided to leave and go somewhere else.

Later it was the early hours of the morning. We were all very drunk and wanted to get home. We found Nicole stumbling around outside a club in tears. She heard Hannah's voice and came up to us. She was extremely drunk and had gotten separated from her friends and her phone had died. Worse than that, she'd ended up losing her glasses in the club. She couldn't see well enough to get to a cab or make her way home.

She pleaded with Hannah for help but still called her by that nickname. Hannah wanted to leave her but I couldn't just leave her outside blinded and drunk. I got an uber and jumped in with Hannah and Nicole. We went to Nicole's house and her mum was extremely grateful for us looking after her daughter.

After we got back to Hannah's place, Hannah exploded at me for helping Nicole, and "making her" sit in a car with the girl who made her life hell in school. I argued that Nicole was alone, blind without her glasses, drunk, and her phone was dead. She was completely helpless and vulnerable. I'd want someone to help Hannah if she was in the same position.

I understand that Nicole treated Hannah awfully when they were kids, but it was about doing the decent thing.

AITA for telling my mom "my child isn't your do over baby!"? (added paragraphs)

quote:

I (26f) and my mom(50f) have been fighting over whose role is what when it comes to raising my son. A little context when I was 3, DHS came and took me and my older brother away from her and she didn't get custody back till I was 15. She also had a third child that she gave up for adoption before the child was even born. Fast forward to now, my son(5) is in the middle of a tug of war between me and my mom.

She buys ticket for concerts and events to go to with my son and never tells me till day of. I'm never invited to go either. She will override EVERYTHING I say and doesn't care about my parenting choices. She insists hes only allowed to watch 90s cartoons and movies. The now days movies suck. I snapped oneday when she tried to take his minecraft hoodie and throw it away, saying "its trash and my child wouldn't be caught dead wearing it," I shouted "my child is not your do over baby. Hes allowed to like whatever he wants from his OWN decade. Stop trying to relive your parenting time with your grandson. You had three chances to raise a child but never stepped up to the plate. Now start acting like a grandmother and not a mother before I move across the country and treat you like a holiday relative."

My aunt insisted I went to far by digging up my mother's past. but my brother agrees with me saying I'm the only one putting the hard work(ie paying the the bills, cooking cleaning, discipline, homework, ect) as a parent but she takes all of my sons free time to do things without my consent and ignores my wishes as the true parent. So am I the rear end in a top hat?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've heard that in America, if a car flashes its high beams twice, that is a trafficker signaling his fellow traffickers that he has found a mark, which means that logically, there are so many traffickers on the road that any time you are in a car, you are within sight of at least two of them. It's a wonder census data doesn't represent the thousands of people that are kidnapped every day, I guess they must be in on it too. It sounds like a terrifying place to live.

that's hilarious, Dad taught me when I was like seven that it means "a cop has set up a speed trap ahead, fair warning." (this was before white conservatives decided cops were friends inexplicably)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

that's hilarious, Dad taught me when I was like seven that it means "a cop has set up a speed trap ahead, fair warning." (this was before white conservatives decided cops were friends inexplicably)

same, i've never heard of it as anything else

i still see it done occasionally

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
in the Midwest and Northeast i see people flash their lights to indicate "cop ahead" all the time

in the South i never saw it ever

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've eaten a lot of weird poo poo but I'm not sure I'd eat turtle soup.

Turtles are kinda cute.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mediaphage posted:

same, i've never heard of it as anything else

i still see it done occasionally

That's what I always heard too and yeah, I've seen it a few times in practice.

In my experience it's still okay for a healthy conservative to get angry at cops for speed traps. Because, y'know, any talk of widespread corruption or racial bias would just be unamerican to even consider, but the instant they come after my money....:argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speed traps are the one thing that americans across the political spectrum can identify as "total bullshit"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Turtles are kinda cute.

Honestly I would probably assume they were endangered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MarcusSA posted:

Turtles are kinda cute.

I saw on QI once that all attempts to bring a live Galapagos tortoise back to Britian failed because they were famously tasty.