Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

road going futa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Are there any cities that are worse than Phoenix for traffic and sprawl? It's just miles and miles of ugly strip malls, and cookie cutter houses. It's a depressing place to visit, I couldn't imagine living here.

I've heard L.A. is but I've never been there.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

petrol prices are cresting $3/litre here ($9.40 usd/gal) for the lowest grade, people are melting down, and hell, i am absolutely loving it

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

PeterCat posted:

Are there any cities that are worse than Phoenix for traffic and sprawl? It's just miles and miles of ugly strip malls, and cookie cutter houses. It's a depressing place to visit, I couldn't imagine living here.

I've lived in both and phoenix is unequivocally worse, LA is bad because it's so massive but it actually has a number of neighborhoods that are walkable/bikeable whereas Phoenix has summers that can kill you if you go outside too long and an anemic transit system

I can't think of any major metros worse than Phoenix, in any conceivable way

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i usually think of houston as being the worst but I’ve never been to phoenix

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

I've lived in both and phoenix is unequivocally worse, LA is bad because it's so massive but it actually has a number of neighborhoods that are walkable/bikeable whereas Phoenix has summers that can kill you if you go outside too long and an anemic transit system

Yeah LA makes up for its terrible car culture with amazing weather and having places that are walkable and worth walking around in. I have no idea why anyone would choose to live in Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PeterCat posted:

Houston is pretty bad.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

one of my coworkers was from Phoenix and she said the wealthy developments would have trucks like food trucks parked around only they administered intravenous vitamins to tbe yoga moms so they didn’t have to eat actual food

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

I don’t think Vegas is worse than Phoenix, but it deserves a mention.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
$2 a liter is not far off here

I remember growing up it being 60 cents on a good day

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mayor Dave posted:

The drivers here are assholes too. Even if you try to flow with traffic you'll have someone tailgating 2" off your bumper, or trying to cut you off, or run you over with some giant pickup truck.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

zegermans posted:

How about a trip from Beijing to Shanghai at a whisper-quiet 150KPH while you sleep in your own personal capsule hotel, costs like $40 btw

If we had a train system that could take me from LA to New York (or Florida) in a day or two, I would probably had made a trip every few years just for kicks.

LA's traffic is more notorious because people expect to be commuting for an hour to an hour and a half.
Because businesses think that LA is like New York and think they need to be in the downtown.

But in terms of population density, and putting people in homes, even if there are a lot of single family homes, LA packs people in than a majority of other US cities.

I feel my like my city in the SGV, with 6,391 people per square mile, is kind of country bumpkin to me.
But then phoenix Arizona has 3,400 people per square mile like how is that possible?

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Mar 5, 2022

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

NYC Crash Mapper.
Sorry for the ugly url

https://crashmapper.org/#/?cfat=tru...ck=true&zoom=16

On firefox there is a 1 to 4 second delay when zooming out.

no wonder you're having a problem, you're gonna want to pave all that wasted land so cars have room to breathe.

Here in orlando they just widened the lovely highway going through the area to 10 (12?) lanes, 4 of which are pay-to-skip-traffic

I don't think it made it to the grand opening of the new express lanes before it was already overloaded

loving cars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Houston is pretty bad.

The difference between phoenix and houston is do you prefer broiling or braising

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Houston and LA at least have some semblance of culture. Phoenix, Vegas, SLC and to a lesser extent Denver as sprawled-out, cultureless voids.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Phoenix sucks because every apartment complex is an independent fortress designed to keep everyone else out, and good luck straying one inch off the sidewalk in the sprawling suburbs without some castle doctrine freak screaming at you from the porch. so as a pedestrian you're stuck taking inefficient routes along a perfect grid of major arterials with 65mph traffic screaming by within 2 feet of you and making blind turns directly into your path on their way to circle K

sorry why would we need a tree canopy? this thoroughfare is designed for cars. you will be standing directly in the 115° Phoenix sun a full 4 minutes after you pressed the beg button to cross the intersection and your next bastion of shade is a mile away at the next intersection hope you can make it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yeah phoenix seems like the worst major metro to live in. ignoring Houston’s imminent doom and terrible sprawling concrete swamp oil polluted wasteland, it has pockets of interesting places and awesome food

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bi crimes posted:

yeah phoenix seems like the worst major metro to live in. ignoring Houston’s imminent doom and terrible sprawling concrete swamp oil polluted wasteland, it has pockets of interesting places and awesome food

This is true. I still will never choose to live in Houston and I like Texas, but not Houston.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ACW5/status/1499466046389907456

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

proof that bikes are not safe. not even sedans are safe; you're gonna need at least a bus to survive this poo poo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmao at the bike lane markings. yeah just bike in the middle of that street, nbd

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the brodozer in the last clip should be imprisoned

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i like the planters and boulders that are clearly there because folks were just getting up on the sidewalk whenever they pleased.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
make the stop sign 50x larger

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i like the planters and boulders that are clearly there because folks were just getting up on the sidewalk whenever they pleased.

Jesus

I hate car brain, but it's not so bad here that that sort of brash continual ignorance would occur

That's just Hella hosed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1500146073142239236?s=20&t=zQOgiOJRBV5nW78StLNa0g

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol, my whole life I've looked at those and thought "how does an airbag go through it safely?" without ever arriving at the blindingly obvious "it doesn't"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actually an airbag almost exclusively goes off on a front end collision which is nearly exclusively the fault of the driver who was branded. i say if you arm has a corporate logo branded in it you should lose your license.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Geldings, every single one

e: for punishment, not that they're currently one

Jestery posted:

Jesus

I hate car brain, but it's not so bad here that that sort of brash continual ignorance would occur

That's just Hella hosed

It's absolutely insane. I loving hate cars

I hope you loving love brands!

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Mar 6, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

actually an airbag almost exclusively goes off on a front end collision which is nearly exclusively the fault of the driver who was branded. i say if you arm has a corporate logo branded in it you should lose your license.
Maybe we should require steering wheels to have mirrored text saying "BAD DRIVER" then? (Or, I don't know, "execute on sight"?)

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hope you loving love brands!
lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://twitter.com/theheraldsun/status/1499837085833830401

:qq:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OP literally says they got t-boned

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

One more check mark for Melbourne

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2022/03/06/crash/

quote:

Police gave only the scantest of details: At around 4 a.m. the driver of a BMW sedan struck the war memorial in the center of Bartel Pritchard Square at the confluence of Prospect Park West, 15th Street and Prospect Park Southwest — a popular meeting place opposite a grand park and movie theater.

Cops could not say the speed of the vehicle, but the wreckage, including the pulverized park benches, the wreckage and the complete uplifting of the “For Valor and Sacrifice” monument at the center of the circle speak of an extremely high-speed crash.

Two people were in the car, cops said: A 23-year-old woman, who was taken to Lutheran Hospital in stable condition, and a man who declined medical attention and was uncooperative before fleeing the burning crime scene.

No one was arrested, cops said.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I guess Rimmer wasn't actually a hologram, he just wrecked a Honda

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

love the absolutely loaded image choice there lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

leftist heap posted:

love the absolutely loaded image choice there lol

A cool hot guy casually blowing past a bunch of losers in cars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I mean I wouldn't say I was "blowing"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You've heard of Cloverleaf intersections, but are you ready for Hellspirals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The what