Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

McCracAttack posted:

Cases are low right now so there's less COVID out there to catch. Also "back to normal" folks can go months with daily exposures before their luck runs out. If you ask this cave dweller, it feels pretty reasonable to do things like haircuts and dentist visits between waves.

Sure, in between waves.

But how are you going to know if we're in between waves now that we've gutted testing, reporting, and there's a huge societal push that Covid is over so nobody's talking about how they heard their neighbors got sick with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

I’ve been kind of involuntarily Osterizing stuff in my head for a while now.

Did you know that almost no American children actually die OF starvation? On top of that, these free school lunches create a horrible division between the students who have to pay to eat and the students that get everything handed to them. Most insidious of all, these so called free lunches foster a culture of dependency that does irreparable damage to the kids who most need to learn to hustle. End the food for children mandates, it’s gone on long enough.

i want to write an article saying now that we've finally got the pandemic right by ending ineffective measures like masks, social distancing, and work from home, it's time we applied this common sense to other parts of society. we've known for decades, for example, that traffic regulations don't work. Let's take our wins on covid and end seatbelt mandates, traffic light laws, and drunk driving laws. those who are particularly susceptible to severe trauma from car crashes can continue to follow stop signs and red lights if they feel safer, but for the rest of us it's time to make it an individual choice of which traffic laws to follow according to our own risk preferences

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i want to write an article saying now that we've finally got the pandemic right by ending ineffective measures like masks, social distancing, and work from home, it's time we applied this common sense to other parts of society. we've known for decades, for example, that traffic regulations don't work. Let's take our wins on covid and end seatbelt mandates, traffic light laws, and drunk driving laws. those who are particularly susceptible to severe trauma from car crashes can continue to follow stop signs and red lights if they feel safer, but for the rest of us it's time to make it an individual choice of which traffic laws to follow according to our own risk preferences

Jonathan Swift did this 300 years ago, OP.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

2) Is everybody wiping off their elastomerics with alcohol, or taking them apart and washing them every time? Or just doing nothing? Especially since you can't always let them sit for days and days like with cycling masks. I've been completely disassembling and washing but that seems like it'll wear out parts quick. And wiping the outside of the cartridges with alcohol wipes sometimes.

i didn't wash my envo mask for about a year and a half when i first got it, but i only used it once or twice a week at most.

now that i'm using it for the entire workday, i try to wash and replace the filter after 40 hours of continuous which is about 2 weeks at my current rate (this rate isn't really based on anything scientific). the envo directions say you can fully submerge it and use mild soap and water so i use bronner's.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rescue Toaster posted:

2) Is everybody wiping off their elastomerics with alcohol, or taking them apart and washing them every time? Or just doing nothing? Especially since you can't always let them sit for days and days like with cycling masks. I've been completely disassembling and washing but that seems like it'll wear out parts quick. And wiping the outside of the cartridges with alcohol wipes sometimes.

I've yet to wash mine, though I've never worn it indoors or around people - just walking to my car for curbside pickup or to take out the trash, and I guess getting my third dose in the car. If I had to wear it every day around people I'd probably do the 70% alcohol on the outer surfaces. Is dunking the whole thing in a big bowl of soapy water without disassembly good? Could be remembering wrong but I think I saw that recommended before.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

But how are you going to know if we're in between waves now that we've gutted testing, reporting, and there's a huge societal push that Covid is over so nobody's talking about how they heard their neighbors got sick with it?

If you live near an academic institution with a virology department they will often publish their own testing program's numbers whether or not the local government does and that (particular pcr positivity) can be a good proxy for whether to be at defcon 1.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

Posts per day in this thread

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...iews-filter-bar

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

Poop water is our last remaining somewhat real time indicator.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

yikes lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

I'm banking on the fact that we're so bad at everything we do they won't be able to keep the next wave completely under wraps.

Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

I'm banking on the fact that we're so bad at everything we do they won't be able to keep the next wave completely under wraps.

Germany and Japan executed over 40,000 people in 1944-1945 for saying the war was going poorly, there are always new options

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

McCracAttack posted:

when it can't be shuffled into obscurity it's not gonna be called covid, the administration needs a fresh start and covid is over so clearly this other thing ripping through the population is sars-69 or some poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

blatman posted:

when it can't be shuffled into obscurity it's not gonna be called covid, the administration needs a fresh start and covid is over so clearly this other thing ripping through the population is sars-69 or some poo poo

it's just the aftershocks, the main part is over and these will be minor and die down quickly

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Assume some hypothetical endemic virus infects everyone annually with a 1% lifetime risk of significant disability. This is probably minimally tolerable and comparable to other everyday risks.

OTOH a virus with a 100% chance of causing significant disability after a single infection is obviously intolerable. Individuals and society would be justified in taking extreme measures to avoid such a virus and ensure it isn't widespread, or even try to eliminate it.

A virus that infects annually with a ~10% chance of significant disability after each infection must be firmly on the intolerable side. It means an even chance of significant disability after 7 years. However this appears precisely the situation with COVID. I keep thinking no way it can't be this bad, but my understanding of the PASC research suggests if anything 10% is too low.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
lmao there's gonna be a BA(.2)tman surge

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

agreed, shameful it wasn’t a respirator

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, in between waves.

ya the BA.2 wave is at ??? levels

is it do gangbusters in your area right now? who knows no way to tel

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Stevie Lee posted:

lmao there's gonna be a BA(.2)tman surge

My wife's friend who flew while infectious and gave his entire extended family COVID went to see it last night. "Wasn't too excited about it, but it was either that or getting sushi." lol this country only knows how to consume and spread death.

Apr 7, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

My wife's friend who flew while infectious and gave his entire extended family COVID went to see it last night. "Wasn't too excited about it, but it was either that or getting sushi." lol this country only knows how to consume and spread death.

A century of propaganda teaching you that you are what you buy is a hell of a thing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

batman is going to have to work hard if he wants to catch up to spidermans body count

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A century of propaganda teaching you that you are what you buy is a hell of a thing.

I'm a 50 lb sack of beans wearing a respirator.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Kylaer posted:

I am absolutely certain that the majority of Americans don't want mask mandates, because the majority of Americans don't wear masks. Something is off with the polling.

Would be interesting to see what percentage of the ones calling for mask mandates are also doing indoor dining and/or gathering with family unmasked.

Apr 7, 2003

Would be interesting to see what percentage of the ones calling for mask mandates are also doing indoor dining and/or gathering with family unmasked.

My wife's grandma is having her 98th birthday today. She called and said offhandedly that she was at my wife's stepsister's house yesterday for their baby's birthday. There were like forty people there. good poo poo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Who the gently caress would turn down sushi to see the fifteenth iteration of "CRIME ALLEY KILLED MY PARENTS, I AM VENGEANCE, I AM THE NIGHT!!!"?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Assume some hypothetical endemic virus infects everyone annually with a 1% lifetime risk of significant disability. This is probably minimally tolerable and comparable to other everyday risks.

OTOH a virus with a 100% chance of causing significant disability after a single infection is obviously intolerable. Individuals and society would be justified in taking extreme measures to avoid such a virus and ensure it isn't widespread, or even try to eliminate it.

A virus that infects annually with a ~10% chance of significant disability after each infection must be firmly on the intolerable side. It means an even chance of significant disability after 7 years. However this appears precisely the situation with COVID. I keep thinking no way it can't be this bad, but my understanding of the PASC research suggests if anything 10% is too low.

idk, if the virus makes you forget what it was like to feel healthy, who's to say that it's not extremely good?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1500566933560823813
6 million, I wonder what the real number is. 12 at least right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1500566933560823813
6 million, I wonder what the real number is. 12 at least right?

india probably makes it to a couple mil by itself, so yeah

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

My extremely uneducated guess is somewhere between 9 and 15 million.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
1.5m us
1.5m eu
1m Rus
4 India
1m southern hemisphere?

9m right there

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

India is more like 10M but we'll never have anything close to confirmation of that

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/ndsnas/status/1500485000197640192

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

weird how the only people braying about ending wfh forever are useless middle managers and those who live and die by commercial real estate value

as these folks control our society, wfh is dead

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insanite posted:

weird how the only people braying about ending wfh forever are useless middle managers and those who live and die by commercial real estate value

as these folks control our society, wfh is dead

lmao yeah it owns

we’re all gonna die to keep the real estate bubble inflated a lil longer before the next, much bigger crash

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The real number is around 20 million, based on excess death figures where available and extrapolating to other countries.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone have any leads on in-person schools that aren’t open biden and poisoned by people who think masks hurt kids? Any primers on how to start politically organizing in my area for a vocal pro-mask group?

I think I am just straight hosed this fall. I’ve been keeping my kids home as my son is still pre-K but he’ll be kindergarten age in the fall and we won’t be able to handle two of them for virtual school.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
~20 million is the accurate global number - look at excess deaths.
For context, AIDS has done about 36 million, but it's taken it over three decades to do it. COVID-19 has done 20 million in under three years.

Lmao.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

~20 million is the accurate global number - look at excess deaths.
For context, AIDS has done about 36 million, but it's taken it over three decades to do it. COVID-19 has done 20 million in under three years.

Lmao.

https://twitter.com/Ted_Howze/status/1500568900609531904?t=7DLGNWrAzFJKf_fbRcJnqA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

well so much for the trope of relying on veterinarians in the event of an apocalypse

"Good luck, you injured piece of poo poo!"