Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Final Destination 2 starts with the huge highway pile-up right? That's a hell of a scene.

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Going to a The Frostbiter Icelandic Horror film festival next weekend to screen this film I made last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSAtHSgNe4

Hopefully I'll win first price this time. Last year I got second place for this little DIY thing I made alone in my living room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6L1Yzc8sFw

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Final Destination 2 starts with the huge highway pile-up right? That's a hell of a scene. I'm gonna marathon the series, can't remember which ones I did and didn't see.

That's part of why it's the best. That's the best opener.

Highway > Bridge > Plane > Roller Coaster > Race Track

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

Final Destination 2 starts with the huge highway pile-up right? That's a hell of a scene. I'm gonna marathon the series, can't remember which ones I did and didn't see.

I still see the occasional meme about being real nervous around logging trucks thanks to 2

(I spent some of my formative years in northern BC so I was nervous about logging trucks before it was cool)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I live in BC and drive next to those things almost every day, and I think about that scene every single time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Going to a The Frostbiter Icelandic Horror film festival next weekend to screen this film I made last year

Hopefully I'll win first price this time. Last year I got second place for this little DIY thing I made alone in my living room

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait how is Frostbiter *not playing* at Frostbiter?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it was when it first started years back.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Slowly making my way through the Chucky franchise so I can watch the series everybody liked so much. I didn't think they were going to top the doll sex scene from Bride of Chucky anytime soon, but watching John Waters creep on Chucky rubbing one out into a cup so Jennifer Tilly can turkey baster inseminate herself with the titular Seed of Chucky... yeah that'll fuckin' do it :stare:

Also :lol: at all the Tilly meta jokes. "What was that scream?" "Uh, nothing! I'm watching Bound! Gina Gershon is fingering me!"

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fresh loving rules, and it broke my brain a little that I watched it on Disney Plus (in Canada). Exactly the movie I needed last night, and I'm not saying anything more about it because you should really go into it cold. What a ride.

Watched this and definitely enjoyed it, the movie made me very uneasy at parts

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Slowly making my way through the Chucky franchise so I can watch the series everybody liked so much. I didn't think they were going to top the doll sex scene from Bride of Chucky anytime soon, but watching John Waters creep on Chucky rubbing one out into a cup so Jennifer Tilly can turkey baster inseminate herself with the titular Seed of Chucky... yeah that'll fuckin' do it :stare:

Also :lol: at all the Tilly meta jokes. "What was that scream?" "Uh, nothing! I'm watching Bound! Gina Gershon is fingering me!"

Seed rules. In the immortal words of John Waters’ character Pete Peters (lol)- “Oh, God bless the little people!”

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 7, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Which of the myriad “creepy Scandinavian dectective shows” on Netflix is worth watching? They all kind of look the same and there are a dozen of them

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Terrible Opinions posted:

Pool disembowelment is a real thing that entered the public zeitgeist as a result of lawsuits in the 90s.

Yep, I specially remember an “expose” about it on 20/20 and Hard Copy in the mid 90’s.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

I had some trouble getting through Seed because I found the Glen doll so viscerally upsetting to look at. Ziggy Stardust in the midst of having his teeth filed down to replace them with caps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I started watching Fresh last night and made it to the title card before my roommate wandered out of her room. Now we have Final Destination 1 down. It was alright, quite disappointed that I remembered it being more Rube Goldberg than it was. Definitely ready to watch the pileup in the next day or two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I started watching Fresh last night and made it to the title card before my roommate wandered out of her room. Now we have Final Destination 1 down. It was alright, quite disappointed that I remembered it being more Rube Goldberg than it was. Definitely ready to watch the pileup in the next day or two.

The really ridiculous Rube Goldberg stuff is more in the sequels. Naturally as the series went on there was a tendency to go more and more over the top with it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Fresh was pretty good. Kind of confused about all the “go in blind!” stuff because I feel like most people are going to know where it’s headed pretty quick. Unless they mean so go in so blind you don’t even know it’s a horror movie, then yeah that would be a pretty crazy surprise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Opopanax posted:

Which of the myriad “creepy Scandinavian dectective shows” on Netflix is worth watching? They all kind of look the same and there are a dozen of them

Millennium is the TV series that was cut down into the three Swedish Girl With movies starring Noomi Rapace. It's worth watching for sure.

Beyond that the only one I've heard good things about is The Bridge.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Granted I’m not that big into that genre, but I gave up on The Bridge pretty early. The Swedish detective is implausibly socially inept; no way she could get reach that age being that clueless. Of course she’s hot too so it just felt like the “Born Sexy Yesterday” trope.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Lampsacus posted:

If you don't mind my asking, which projector did you end up getting? Our flat's shared projector broke and we're in the market for one around that price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vankyo-leisure-470-wireless-mini-projector-white/6424701.p?skuId=6424701 This is what I got.

I love it like I said, but one thing I'll say is that I didn't expect to love it this much, and I also didn't really look much at the native resolution I was buying -- so this one's native resolution is 1024 x 720. I suspect the image would be a lot crisper (especially for small text like I noted an issue with) if I had paid more for a better one.

Obviously depends on your budget and how much you expect to use / enjoy it, but I think in retrospect I'd have spent a bit more, maybe $200 or so, to get one in a higher resolution, just because I expect to use this a lot, and therefore think it'd be worthwhile.

Now, all that said, I still think it looks great at 1024x720. Movies and frames in movies look plenty crisp, only minor blur at the periphery of the screen when it's properly adjusted on the focus knob.

Also lol that there were 2 Alone movies released in 2020, I thought including the year was overkill even. I was looking at the Hyams one. I thought I might have seen it once, but I guess not, so it's still on my list.

Final contribution: Unless you're unmovably interested in or beholden to the Brooklyn podcasting scene involving CTH, C**town, et cetera, please avoid The Scary of Sixty First at all costs.

Even if you ARE helplessly beholden to the podcasting socialite scene, still probably avoid The Scary of Sixty First at all costs. Lol.

Edit:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good luck man! I liked the film a lot when I saw it a while ago, I think it was an older post at the time so I didn't necro the topic with a post on it. Sounds super exciting though, hope you do well! :D

Snuff Melange fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 7, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watching Final Destination (2000) now.

1) drat, what an opening.

2) I wonder if the kid playing the main character went on to do anything else?

Oh, it's Devon Sawa.

Oh, I saw him play the dad in Chucky last year, looking all old

Oh, I look like that because 2000 was 22 years ago and the true horror is time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Devon Sawa is only five years older than me. WHERE DID TIME GO?? :psyduck:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

In retrospect being reminded of how misogynistic the 2010s could be unnerved me more than the gore

Like, I was alive then, was I just not paying attention? gently caress

Also it's a Weinstein movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sawa's features looked weird on a 20something kid but once he got more weathered it all kinda came together. Nice when that happens.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

Sawa's features looked weird on a 20something kid but once he got more weathered it all kinda came together. Nice when that happens.

I don't think Sawa's aged badly at all, he's a handsome dude, maybe even moreso than when he was younger. Same with Anthony Michael Hall. Like, rather than just aging they turned into totally different-looking people.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also, God, Tony Todd is great for his short scene in this movie and I don't see enough of him these days. I always took his scene as him actually being Death and giving Alex a lil' heads up of what's coming.

I hope that tease of him at the end of the Candyman reboot turns into something more. He's such a professional.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the idea that being a mortician just exposes you to death on such a regular basis that you can start to understand the mechanics of how it works more than the average person ever could.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

davidspackage posted:

Also, God, Tony Todd is great for his short scene in this movie and I don't see enough of him these days. I always took his scene as him actually being Death and giving Alex a lil' heads up of what's coming.

I hope that tease of him at the end of the Candyman reboot turns into something more. He's such a professional.

:same:

You know, for a mortician he had an awful lot of information, don't you think?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I like the idea that being a mortician just exposes you to death on such a regular basis that you can start to understand the mechanics of how it works more than the average person ever could.

My ex-fiancee was a mortician. You simply could not phase her with anything. Shed watch autopsy videos with her morning coffee.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

My ex-fiancee was a mortician. You simply could not phase her with anything. Shed watch autopsy videos with her morning coffee.

so the cop drama and horror movie trope of coroners/morticians eating lunch over dead bodies is for real

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

In my experience literally yes. Especially before she graduated mortuary school and had to study a lot there was a lot of eating while watching gross mortuary stuff. You do get used to it so fast tho like I could eat and watch too and not care.

My brothers an EMT and he said it took him about 2 dead bodies before he just got used to corpses and they didnt really affect him anymore.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I finally watched Censor and I'm not sure how I felt about it. Unless there's some reading of it I missed, the intended explanation of what happened seemed to be literally explained by one character halfway through.

I'm also not sure what the film's message was. It seems in some way to validate right wing fears that exposure to "video nasties" influenced violent behavior?

Or perhaps implying that figures like Enid who claim to be protecting the public have trouble distinguishing between what is real and fantasy.

I'm also still curious about the repeated "the violence/evil is inside you" that Enid keeps hearing. Is that Enid's survivor's guilt or the filmmaker asserting that violence and depravity are inherent to people?

I loved the atmosphere and lighting though. Neat movie, but I don't know what the takeaway is meant to be

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Watched the 2021 Wrong Turn this morning and I have mixed feelings. Usually stuff starts strong and loses steam but I feel like this did the opposite? A weaker first half and then the second half was a lot stronger (maybe because it was more off the rails and less by the numbers?). Great gore effects though.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I really enjoy all the FD films as I have fond memories of watching them as a flat family during the first lockdown. But I can't help but put the first one as my fave because of the way it almost takes itself seriously. The straining attempt at a coherent plot, the third act and the whole mythos is just so schlocky and it hits that early 2000s/90s ameritrash spot so well. I think that when a horror straddles the line by attempting to have serious mythology but actually is a bit silly,,, that's the poo poo.
My favourite scary film is Blair Witch. But my favourite 'fun to watch' horror is the much maligned frigging Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Let me save you some time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OOpZitfd0

e:

davidspackage posted:

I had some trouble getting through Seed because I found the Glen doll so viscerally upsetting to look at. Ziggy Stardust in the midst of having his teeth filed down to replace them with caps.

That was definitely weird to see the more traditional marionette-style dollface vs the other two. Was pretty neat to see what sounded like early trans acceptance in a horror movie from 2004 though.

Somebody earlier in the thread said this, but how are the killer doll movies the most consistent 80s slasher franchise?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 8, 2022

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Watched the 2021 Wrong Turn this morning and I have mixed feelings. Usually stuff starts strong and loses steam but I feel like this did the opposite? A weaker first half and then the second half was a lot stronger (maybe because it was more off the rails and less by the numbers?). Great gore effects though.

It almost felt like 2 seperate movies to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lampsacus posted:

My favourite scary film is Blair Witch. But my favourite 'fun to watch' horror is the much maligned frigging Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

I haven't seen BW2 since I rented it on VHS in highschool, but I remember that the tape advertised itself as involving "the secret of ESREVER." The movie is NOT found footage, but it involves a crew going into the woods to do their own higher-budget Blair Witch investigation/documentary and then they get their poo poo haunted in. Things happen that don't appear on their tapes UNLESS they reverse the tape, then they can see ghosts or whatever breaking poo poo, I don't know.

Anyway after the movie there was a little thing saying that there was a bunch of hidden imagery throughout the movie and the way to uncover it was to find clues written at the bottom of the screen when you rewound it. Throughout the movie these dumb letters would show up in the bottom of the screen, and they'd spell things like "window" backwards so after you rewound it and saw "window" written at the bottom of the screen you'd pause it and look at the window, and I don't know maybe there'd be a hidden face or a pentagram or something dumb with the window, it was the shittiest of gimmicks. William Castle would have vomited in his grave.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I haven't seen BW2 since I rented it on VHS in highschool, but I remember that the tape advertised itself as involving "the secret of ESREVER." The movie is NOT found footage, but it involves a crew going into the woods to do their own higher-budget Blair Witch investigation/documentary and then they get their poo poo haunted in. Things happen that don't appear on their tapes UNLESS they reverse the tape, then they can see ghosts or whatever breaking poo poo, I don't know.

Anyway after the movie there was a little thing saying that there was a bunch of hidden imagery throughout the movie and the way to uncover it was to find clues written at the bottom of the screen when you rewound it. Throughout the movie these dumb letters would show up in the bottom of the screen, and they'd spell things like "window" backwards so after you rewound it and saw "window" written at the bottom of the screen you'd pause it and look at the window, and I don't know maybe there'd be a hidden face or a pentagram or something dumb with the window, it was the shittiest of gimmicks. William Castle would have vomited in his grave.

lol I looked this up and if you did all the work to figure it out you got... a deleted scene on the website.

https://nofspodcast.com/blair-witch-2s-secret-of-esrever-what-even-is-this

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

gently caress yeah its so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I finally watched Censor and I'm not sure how I felt about it. Unless there's some reading of it I missed, the intended explanation of what happened seemed to be literally explained by one character halfway through.

I'm also not sure what the film's message was. It seems in some way to validate right wing fears that exposure to "video nasties" influenced violent behavior?

Or perhaps implying that figures like Enid who claim to be protecting the public have trouble distinguishing between what is real and fantasy.

I'm also still curious about the repeated "the violence/evil is inside you" that Enid keeps hearing. Is that Enid's survivor's guilt or the filmmaker asserting that violence and depravity are inherent to people?

I loved the atmosphere and lighting though. Neat movie, but I don't know what the takeaway is meant to be

I famously tend to miss the subtext and takeaways of movies unless it's explained to me by some YouTube channel like the ignoramus I am, but I would tend to think your guess of Or perhaps implying that figures like Enid who claim to be protecting the public have trouble distinguishing between what is real and fantasy. is most on the money?

That said, I also seem to have forgotten most of the details as I watched it what feels like forever ago -- probably due for a rewatch as I really enjoyed it.

Tonight I'm probably going to watch Only Lovers Left Alive (2013), A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, or Thelma (2017). Kind of in a sad mood so maybe not Only Lovers, as it seems VERY melancholic in tone from the little I've seen. On second thought, maybe I'll just take a break from horror tonight, or else find a particularly "Feel Good" kind of horror flick. Recommendations welcome as always!