Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife's grandma is having her 98th birthday today. She called and said offhandedly that she was at my wife's stepsister's house yesterday for their baby's birthday. There were like forty people there. good poo poo.

Ugh I'm sorry. I don't get why things like this keep happening (I mean, I do, but). The baby won't remember the birthday and people can just eat cake and talk to each other on a Zoom call. Is it the same exact thing? No, but the air isn't the same either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

huhwhat posted:

tldr my take is that hkers' independent streak is definitely a factor - independent from beijing that is, hkers r willing to be subservient to other forces

being a former colony with constant first or secondhand exposure to english media, vaccine uptake is low due to antivaxx and open biden rot taking hold in many brains. look at the cathay pacific crew who flouted quarantine rules and started the latest wave. compare hk's 70% vaxxed with the mainland's 87%. low trust in the government or just authority in general might also factor into this. with the recent outbreak, ive seen news report of people protesting against the government requesting help from beijing, thats how brain damaged some hkers are. they would rather die than be seen as having once asked for aid from their hated enemy

the free hk types would of course lay the blame at the feet of carrie lam who they think is an ineffectual governor and only got her position due to her loyalty to beijing. i would argue that, as you yourself suspected, the local power brokers hold more sway over the hk government's covid policy than beijing. being a highly financialized city makes hk very susceptible to the demands of international capital, the housing crisis and rich-poor gap reflects that

https://twitter.com/raam_beart/status/1492451338529112064
https://twitter.com/raam_beart/status/1492420407198044160
https://twitter.com/raam_beart/status/1499308378174078979
https://twitter.com/raam_beart/status/1491353231427276801
https://twitter.com/raam_beart/status/1497201865699696648

china needs to rein in the unruly hker

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Not sure whether this decelerating growth in Guangdong province is due to incomplete data or it the weekend lull in cases. Hopefully neither.

Maybe the same for Hong Kong too:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

~20 million is the accurate global number - look at excess deaths.
For context, AIDS has done about 36 million, but it's taken it over three decades to do it. COVID-19 has done 20 million in under three years.

Lmao.

number go up uP UP:hmmrona:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

kreeningsons posted:

Not sure whether this decelerating growth in Guangdong province is due to incomplete data or it the weekend lull in cases. Hopefully neither.

Maybe the same for Hong Kong too:

Hong Kong is what happens if you cling doggedly to a COVID-zero policy

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
my mother says she has nothing to look forward to so she doesn't care if she gets covid and dies so she goes to restaurants, at least she's honest about it

i'm so fit after two years of home gym and home cooking that i'll never eat in a restaurant again, i will never jeopardize my gainz

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pingui posted:

Hong Kong is what happens if you cling doggedly to a COVID-zero policy

lol i had just read that post in the bad thread and angrily closed the tab

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Framing aside, this is just another reason why the CDC sucks.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/as-mask-mandates-fall-small-biz-really-thinks-hard-about-whether-theyll-comply-161137165.html posted:

As COVID, mask mandates fall, businesses 'really think hard' on whether to comply

As COVID-19 cases began to fall after the winter Omicron variant surge, governors across the country are beginning to ditch mask and vaccine mandates — presenting a conundrum for business owners who aren't entirely certain if they want to follow suit.
(..)
Yet with memories of previous COVID waves still fresh in their minds, some small and medium-sized businesses are nervous that officials could be moving too quickly. Seesawing numbers over the last two years have seen mandates wax and wane.

“I'm gonna have to really think hard about whether I still continue to have the mask [mandate]. I'm not sure to tell you the truth,” Ruby Bugarin, co-owner of Margaritas and Pepe’s Mexican Restaurants, in Southern California, told Yahoo Finance in a phone interview.

Bugarin hasn’t “made it mandatory” for her workers to be vaccinated but so far “close to 95%” of her staff are. Yet she’s still deciding on the mask requirement at her two restaurants.

“Maybe I'll have the [front of the] house still wear the mask, just to protect them from customers because a lot of customers won't be wearing a mask and then the back of the house like the cooks, I can let them just make their own decision,” Bugarin said.
(..)
At Pizza Guys, a Sacramento-based pizza chain specializing in unique flavors and fresh quality food, owner Farah Ikba explained that the decision to lift the mask mandate could add confusion in the service industry.

“It definitely puts a lot of strain in our business because there's a lot of, ‘yes, go ahead and put down the mask.’ ‘No, don't put down the mask,'" Ikba said. "It confuses the customers and confuses the staff.”
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

kreeningsons posted:

Sorry, had to share the pain.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't like that we are getting a lot of reports like this from across the world:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-700510 posted:

Four-year-old Israeli child tests positive for polio, first case since 1989
Antivax sentiment is so high after COVID started, that we are losing ground on polio and measles.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just for the headline:

https://www.dw.com/en/in-good-shape-covid-19-the-neverending-pandemic/av-60915632 posted:

In Good Shape - COVID-19: The neverending pandemic

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Insanite posted:

any suggestions for haircut-friendly respirators?

my wife is thinking of getting a haircut in the next couple of weeks.

while, as a cspam covid thread poster, this does not thrill me, i'm not going to fight hard about it--we're still otherwise really locked down with a toddler and it sucks.

i'm thinking of those weird adhesive n95s at the moment.
Envo with the earloops option ("Quick Fit"). As gradenko_2000 mentioned, you can detach one of the loops and just hold the mask to your face. But I find it's way easier to do this while keeping a solid seal with the Envo-style seal than, say, a disposable N95 or KN95.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
does anybody remember, off the top of their head, the etsy store that was selling hannya/oni teeth attachments for respirators? I would like to score one of those (otherwise I'm gonna grab some aliexpress or airsoft garbage and just cut it to fit) and trying to google 3d printed respirator attachments is just getting full respirator projects, or purely costume stuff. could've swore somebody was making those as like, 3m clip-on dealies.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Dren posted:

Anyone have any leads on in-person schools that aren’t open biden and poisoned by people who think masks hurt kids? Any primers on how to start politically organizing in my area for a vocal pro-mask group?

I think I am just straight hosed this fall. I’ve been keeping my kids home as my son is still pre-K but he’ll be kindergarten age in the fall and we won’t be able to handle two of them for virtual school.

In this situation myself and trying to see if there's any kind of school option committing to masking for the indefinite future. Unfortunately the NYC DOE has gone full mask off, and their vague promises for a remote option or "masks only" classrooms appear to have fully evaporated. I hate charter schools but that might be the only potential option, and I don't even want to know what NYC area private schools cost.

Have been looking into COVID long term impacts in large part in an effort to understand if there's any way I can rationalize sending my kids back to in-person schools now that masks are gone. Just not seeing it so far, but keeping them at home indefinitely isn't really an option either. No squaring these circles.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah i guess my kid is just going to suffer and die too lol

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Death Panel Czar posted:

does anybody remember, off the top of their head, the etsy store that was selling hannya/oni teeth attachments for respirators? I would like to score one of those (otherwise I'm gonna grab some aliexpress or airsoft garbage and just cut it to fit) and trying to google 3d printed respirator attachments is just getting full respirator projects, or purely costume stuff. could've swore somebody was making those as like, 3m clip-on dealies.

i thought it was mastervlad on etsy but he took all the listings down recently because covid is over. maybe message him and see if he'll do a one off.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

cum jabbar posted:

yeah i guess my kid is just going to suffer and die too lol

It will be the final lol if I end up homeschooling my kid after years of making fun of my aunt who homeschooled her kids

e I'll include evolution in the curriculum at least

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

In this situation myself and trying to see if there's any kind of school option committing to masking for the indefinite future. Unfortunately the NYC DOE has gone full mask off, and their vague promises for a remote option or "masks only" classrooms appear to have fully evaporated. I hate charter schools but that might be the only potential option, and I don't even want to know what NYC area private schools cost.

Have been looking into COVID long term impacts in large part in an effort to understand if there's any way I can rationalize sending my kids back to in-person schools now that masks are gone. Just not seeing it so far, but keeping them at home indefinitely isn't really an option either. No squaring these circles.

this is a headscratcher to me. like, if they're assured to get 2-4 infections yearly indefinitely, how can you send your kid to school?

if you care about keeping your kid as healthy as you can, you end up needing to home school or possibly form some sort of caver pod w/surveillance testing, masking, ventilation, etc. i'd imagine that even careful private schools won't be keeping most precautions up for long.

open biden owns.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Pingui posted:

I don't like that we are getting a lot of reports like this from across the world:

Antivax sentiment is so high after COVID started, that we are losing ground on polio and measles.

Man that’s loving brutal, didn’t the WHO have polio almost eradicated outside of Afghanistan and Pakistan and a big reason it was still present there was because of some stupid failed CIA op to try and catch Bin Laden? And now we have cases popping up in Ukraine and Israel among others.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Insanite posted:

this is a headscratcher to me. like, if they're assured to get 2-4 infections yearly indefinitely, how can you send your kid to school?

if you care about keeping your kid as healthy as you can, you end up needing to home school or possibly form some sort of caver pod w/surveillance testing, masking, ventilation, etc. i'd imagine that even careful private schools won't be keeping most precautions up for long.

open biden owns.

We switched private schools for next year to the one in the area that is still keeping masks up, for now. But I'm guessing that is probably going away next year. I feel better that we are going to be at the most "covid cautious" school possible w/o moving. But we're still in a fairly poo poo state for covid.

Trying to plan things out 6 months in advance is impossible.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I ordered a set of Biden testing kits for my parents the day they were available back in mid-January and they still haven't arrived. I ordered a set for myself on Wednesday and they arrived in 3 days. You can't explain that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Insanite posted:

open biden owns.

you don't need to worry. kids can't get it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I ordered a set of Biden testing kits for my parents the day they were available back in mid-January and they still haven't arrived. I ordered a set for myself on Wednesday and they arrived in 3 days. You can't explain that.

I would just reorder them, mine came fast too

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

you don't need to worry. kids can't get it.

we're betting everything that this worryingly nasty virus doesn't disable as many people as it seems to be disabling.

the west rules.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Insanite posted:

we're betting everything that this worryingly nasty virus doesn't disable as many people as it seems to be disabling.

the west rules.

technically the authorities have moved past that idea and now just don't care how many people it kills or disabled

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shear Modulus posted:

technically the authorities have moved past that idea and now just don't care how many people it kills or disabled

Oh they do. They would much much rather kill more old people and disable less working people, but they'll take it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tuesday's update is going to show a rise and/or developing plateau

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

i thought it was mastervlad on etsy but he took all the listings down recently because covid is over. maybe message him and see if he'll do a one off.

he was based in russia

inferis fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 7, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Found out today that my 37-yo cousin who had covid in December sometimes has a resting heart rate of 100-120 now.

Mild tachycardia.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Insanite posted:

This is increasingly my conclusion. Definitely not an expert and have been trying to give in-person schooling fair consideration, but the PASC research is dire. Most parents have no choice but to send their kids to school, however it's really looking like it should be avoided if there are alternatives. We've been home+remote schooling since the start of the pandemic while trying to keep our jobs and it's just becoming increasingly untenable.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 7, 2022

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

kreeningsons posted:

that was almost verbatim the subhead of the economist article about the impending surge there

e I googled cuz I saw it briefly at my inlaws' place and it’s worse than I though lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Went and saw the batman. An entertaining movie. It was good not great or bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Insanite posted:

any suggestions for haircut-friendly respirators?

my wife is thinking of getting a haircut in the next couple of weeks.

while, as a cspam covid thread poster, this does not thrill me, i'm not going to fight hard about it--we're still otherwise really locked down with a toddler and it sucks.

i'm thinking of those weird adhesive n95s at the moment.

Envomask.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife's grandma is having her 98th birthday today. She called and said offhandedly that she was at my wife's stepsister's house yesterday for their baby's birthday. There were like forty people there. good poo poo.

I get what you're saying, but honestly? At 98 she should let people spit in her mouth if that's what makes her happy. She's lived a life.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chad Sexington posted:

I get what you're saying, but honestly? At 98 she should let people spit in her mouth if that's what makes her happy. She's lived a life.

true but there’s bad and less bad ways to die

spending your last days or weeks in confusion and agony as your brain lungs and heart all get ripped apart is one of the bad ways

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr Hootington posted:

Went and saw the batman. An entertaining movie. It was good not great or bad.

https://confidentcounselors.com/2017/11/01/managing-negative-attention-seeking/

hope this helps

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Grandma's probably going to die with covid. I hope the healthcare worker that gave it to her is enjoying their freedom from masks and vaccines.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zeriel posted:

Grandma's probably going to die with covid. I hope the healthcare worker that gave it to her is enjoying their freedom from masks and vaccines.
:smith: gently caress, sorry to hear.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Baddog posted:

We switched private schools for next year to the one in the area that is still keeping masks up, for now. But I'm guessing that is probably going away next year. I feel better that we are going to be at the most "covid cautious" school possible w/o moving. But we're still in a fairly poo poo state for covid.

Trying to plan things out 6 months in advance is impossible.

Yeah the school we applied to had been keeping masks up but now that CDC open bidened even harder masks are gone and kids are peer pressured into dropping masks even though it’s “parental choice”. We’re in a lull now, cases have been declining hard, so it’s been without consequence.

Trying to plan 6 months out really is impossible so who knows what the fall will bring. Will masks come back? Will ventilation improve? No way to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Inspector Hound posted:

I would just reorder them, mine came fast too

speaking of which has anyone tried ordering a second set though the form recently?

they apparently have only handed out 50% of their stockpile so I’m curious if they’ll let cave crew have more now.